Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So did rhino just get a massive buff??

In the most recent update DE wanted to make overguard more built into warframe kits, and changed Atlas’ rubble, Frost’s icy avalanche and Rhino’s ironskin into overguard. They specified that the way you gain ironskin will not change, nor does it values, but now ot does gain benefits upon taking damage, such as adaptation. 

This makes rhino so much better right? Its already easy to reach a million ironskin, and with damage reduction counting towards it, the scaling is even more intense. 

Im not crazy right?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

Pretty sure it said that nothing mechanically changes about the abilites. Just that they’re displayed through Overguard.

The base defensive properties of these abilities and Augment Mods have not changed! 

This change also has the added benefit of allowing “On Damaged” Mods and Arcanes to apply to all of the above! Prior to this change, the aforementioned abilities wouldmake the player "invulnerable" until the added survivability was depleted. Now, Mods and Arcanes like Adaptation and Arcane Avenger can now be triggered when damage is taken to Overguard, because it is treated similarly to Health and Shields.

copied right from the patch notes, so assuming they are correct and the base properties were not changed…

• Like 4

I hope it works. But I'm guessing it doesn't. My guess is that damage taken during Overguard will proc Adaptation, but that Adaptation won't apply to Overguard — you'll only benefit from it once the Overguard is gone. Only guessing though.

• Like 3

According to the patch notes, Rhino's Iron Skin will now trigger Adaptation, etc.  So yeah, that's a meaningful buff.

That said, it's unclear whether "Overguard HP" will benefit from the Adaptation.  Either way it's a buff, but if Iron Skin can receive mitigation from Adaptation, that will be a very meaningful buff.

Edited by (PSN)Unstar

As far as I can tell, rhino's ironskin (And likely overguard in general) is not affected by adaptation in any way, other than being able to activate the mod, as I took 3411 damage from a level 195 corrupted bombard rocket at both 0% and 90% adaptation

• Like 4

3 hours ago, (PSN)CommanderC2121 said:

Im not crazy right?

Nothing changed. Overguard as a concept is nothing new, but now that there is a specific UI that can show it they simply applied it to abilities that already did it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, (PSN)CommanderC2121 said:

The base defensive properties of these abilities and Augment Mods have not changed! 

This change also has the added benefit of allowing “On Damaged” Mods and Arcanes to apply to all of the above! Prior to this change, the aforementioned abilities wouldmake the player "invulnerable" until the added survivability was depleted. Now, Mods and Arcanes like Adaptation and Arcane Avenger can now be triggered when damage is taken to Overguard, because it is treated similarly to Health and Shields.

copied right from the patch notes, so assuming they are correct and the base properties were not changed…

Having “on damaged” buffs proc for them now is nice tho.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cerikus said:

Nothing changed.

Not so.  The patch notes explicitly state that functionality has changed:

5 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Overguard has virtually the same function (Health buffs and immunities*) as the listed abilities and Augment Mods, so in an effort to expose the mechanic more and establish familiarity with Overguard as a whole (as it also appears on enemies) we have made it the visual indicator for them. 

• Rhino’s Iron Skin 
  • Atlas’ Rumbled Augment Mod 
  • Frost’s Icy Avalanche Augment Mod 

*The base defensive properties of these abilities and Augment Mods have not changed! 

This change also has the added benefit of allowing “On Damaged” Mods and Arcanes to apply to all of the above! Prior to this change, the aforementioned abilities would make the player "invulnerable" until the added survivability was depleted. Now, Mods and Arcanes like Adaptation and Arcane Avenger can now be triggered when damage is taken to Overguard, because it is treated similarly to Health and Shields.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Not so.  The patch notes explicitly state that functionality has changed:

Yeah, but from what I experienced so far the mods and arcanes don't apply to the Overguard health. That'd be broken.

1 hour ago, R0BN-1 said:

As far as I can tell, rhino's ironskin (And likely overguard in general) is not affected by adaptation in any way, other than being able to activate the mod, as I took 3411 damage from a level 195 corrupted bombard rocket at both 0% and 90% adaptation

I've been doing some small tests in the simulacrum and can confirm this as well.

Regardless of what adaptation has stacked to IS takes the same damage from the attacks.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

I've been doing some small tests in the simulacrum and can confirm this as well.

Regardless of what adaptation has stacked to IS takes the same damage from the attacks.

So is iron skin straight up worse right now or is it's defense still the same but just looks like overguard now? Kinda a dumb question sorry I'm just confused if overguard has different damage reduction values.

27 minutes ago, Cerikus said:

Bez-n-zvu.png

I did it for the accessories.

My point is that as long as Revenant exists in the game as he is now that there is literally no point in fretting about tankiness balance because he has effectively infinite health so long as the player doesn't zone out from how boring it is and remembers to hit the ability again when their shield gate pops to remind them that the buff ran out.

It's silly. Rumblers and Frost's aug would not remotely be an issue, and Iron Skin, while it would be undeniably goofy in terms of EHP, is still not as strong as other tank options.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, (PSN)Joylesstuna said:

So is iron skin straight up worse right now or is it's defense still the same but just looks like overguard now? Kinda a dumb question sorry I'm just confused if overguard has different damage reduction values.

It's exactly the same as it was before, just looks like overguard.
It's defensive capabilities weren't touched in any way.

It is slightly better because you can now pre-stack adaptation or trigger some arcanes (such as arcane avenger) while IS is up.

It just so happens that adaptation, and some other arcanes, don't provide any benefits to IS...but that is no different than it was before really.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

It's exactly the same as it was before, just looks like overguard.
It's defensive capabilities weren't touched in any way.

It is slightly better because you can now pre-stack adaptation or trigger some arcanes (such as arcane avenger) while IS is up.

It just so happens that adaptation, and some other arcanes, don't provide any benefits to IS...but that is no different than it was before really.

Ok thank you.

10 hours ago, (PSN)CommanderC2121 said:

If that means adaptation can affect iron skin that's a huge, huge buff to rhino.

Because before iron skin had no damage reduction at all as far as i know.

But something like guardian being able to proc, is still useful aside from that.