Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Change of Plans"

PrideB4TheFall

I know this has been a long time feature Scott wanted but apparently caused problems to implement the way he wanted fully. I know players roll their eyes when they hear the sound byte, and perhaps the Circuit in a way is a better realized version of "Change of plans". Isn't it time for this aspect of the game to go?

• Like 2

I wish it was expanded upon. Give us more potential objective changes and even toss in some random size objectives. Like a Rescue throwing in a Capture objective or an Exterminate having a Spy vault marked.

Just anything to break up the monotony of missions being the exact same every time. All it'd need to avoid efficiency complaints is to be omitted from Fissures.

• Like 7

I’d like more like them, please.

I don’t get them very often, which is unfortunate since I like being thrown into a situation I’m unprepared for (I do the thing where I spin the globe and stab at a mission and then do that mission with whatever I have equipped, but I’d like more options for the game to throw me into the deep end as well)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

I’d like more like them, please.

I don’t get them very often, which is unfortunate since I like being thrown into a situation I’m unprepared for (I do the thing where I spin the globe and stab at a mission and then do that mission with whatever I have equipped, but I’d like more options for the game to throw me into the deep end as well)

I feel like I never ever get the "change of plans" when just running capture missions normally.

But if I have something like "run a capture mission in under 90 seconds" for Nightwave, or am trying to blitz a capture mission to spawn a kuva lich or sister, it's dang near a guarantee Space Mom will decide that everything needs to die.

Anyway, what I would almost rather see is missions that have multiple possible ways to achieve the goal. Let's say there's a Corpus ship that needs to be shut down; you could run it like Sabotage (foregoing subtlety and just taking out the reactor, then having to defend it so that the Corpus don't undo your sabotage), or you could run it like a Spy mission (sneaking a virus into various vital systems, so that the Corpus don't even notice until it's too late), or perhaps like a Capture (take out an elite who's the ship's captain, bring them in to learn the weak-points of the ship).

You could get different rewards depending on which approach you took, and you'd be able to decide once in the mission how to handle it.

Though I guess in a pub group you'd probably have someone wanting to do Spy and someone else would run off to explode the reactor while a third was trying to take out the captain. So, on reflection, perhaps this isn't the best idea... 🫥

• Like 3

3 hours ago, trst said:

I wish it was expanded upon. Give us more potential objective changes and even toss in some random size objectives. Like a Rescue throwing in a Capture objective or an Exterminate having a Spy vault marked.

Just anything to break up the monotony of missions being the exact same every time. All it'd need to avoid efficiency complaints is to be omitted from Fissures.

this^ they could even add "events" and modifiers that sometimes occur in missions, I can give a few examples:

Bonus Objective: Lotus locates an additional objective, which is purely optional, but completing it before extraction yields additional rewards. can be a spy vault, capture target, assassination target (not a boss, just a tougher unit like Galleon Captain from Railjack), Rescue target, or a precious relic that needs to be retrieved.

Surprise Assault; when fighting Corpus or Grineer, the other faction suddenly breaches the tileset in ramsleds/landing pods and starts attacking everyone. would probably throw a spanner in the works for specific faction-modded loadouts, but I'd love it.

Infested Outbreak: a containment breach has occurred and now the Infested have appeared, JUST as you got here, what are the chances? oh well, better clean them out or it'll be a bigger problem later...

Reinforcements; the enemy spawn just got upped by 1 player's worth (not applicable to full squads.)

Special Forces: Grineer call in Nightwatch units, Corpus call in "Debt Collectors" to deal with the Tenno threat.

Incoming Artillery: when fighting Corpus or Grineer, the other faction may launch an artillery barrage at your location, avoid getting hit by bombs, or you could take massive damage, perhaps even die!.

Network Corruption; on corpus tilesets, a special console may appear in a guarded room, hack it and all Proxies will be encouraged to fight on your side against their Crewmen!

Hey Kiddo; Wally appears and can give you a scare, but may also offer a chance to play a game (solving a puzzle of some kind), complete it and you get a random buff, or slight debuff if he's feeling mischievous. 

Edited by (PSN)robotwars7
  • Like 1

I love imagining what might have been the reason why Lotus would change plans suddenly mid-mission.

The scenario that I find to be the most entertaining is that Lotus is listening to the enemy communication and she hears something insulting:

Grineer Commander: "I'd like a status report on the Galleon 0383 currently stationed around Cassini."

Grineer Captain: "Commander! A Tenno is on board! Need assistance."

Grineer Commander: "A Tenno!? Sending reinforcements now. Why are they on board?"

Grineer Captain: "They're targeting someone in particular. It seems to be an agent who just got back from a mission."

Grineer Commander: "That filthy old witch! Why does she keep harassing us with her dimwitted Tenno?"

Grineer Captain: "Sir? Maybe you shouldn't use that kind of language. This isn't exactly a secure channel."

Grineer Commander: "Ha! What's she going to do? Just keep shooting until the Tenno goes home crying to 'mommy.' Not that she can even have kids, or that anyone would want to have one with her."

Lotus (to Tenno): "Change of plans, ignore your original objective. Leave nothing alive."

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Packetdancer said:

I feel like I never ever get the "change of plans" when just running capture missions normally.

But if I have something like "run a capture mission in under 90 seconds" for Nightwave, or am trying to blitz a capture mission to spawn a kuva lich or sister, it's dang near a guarantee Space Mom will decide that everything needs to die.

Anyway, what I would almost rather see is missions that have multiple possible ways to achieve the goal. Let's say there's a Corpus ship that needs to be shut down; you could run it like Sabotage (foregoing subtlety and just taking out the reactor, then having to defend it so that the Corpus don't undo your sabotage), or you could run it like a Spy mission (sneaking a virus into various vital systems, so that the Corpus don't even notice until it's too late), or perhaps like a Capture (take out an elite who's the ship's captain, bring them in to learn the weak-points of the ship).

You could get different rewards depending on which approach you took, and you'd be able to decide once in the mission how to handle it.

Though I guess in a pub group you'd probably have someone wanting to do Spy and someone else would run off to explode the reactor while a third was trying to take out the captain. So, on reflection, perhaps this isn't the best idea... 🫥

That sounds neat, though I’m left wondering which one would be the most efficient route to the most efficient reward that’d be the most efficient for the sake of grinding, and then how many people would complain about being presented with a route that can be done semi-afk not rewarding a thing that they really want and how far they’d go to warp any alternatives into semi-afk play.

Basically which of these can be solved via overbuilding for the mission, because that’ll be the popular one, possibly to the point that the other routes might as well not exist for the majority

1 hour ago, (NSW)Probably_Asleep said:

I love imagining what might have been the reason why Lotus would change plans suddenly mid-mission.

The scenario that I find to be the most entertaining is that Lotus is listening to the enemy communication and she hears something insulting:

Grineer Commander: "I'd like a status report on the Galleon 0383 currently stationed around Cassini."

Grineer Captain: "Commander! A Tenno is on board! Need assistance."

Grineer Commander: "A Tenno!? Sending reinforcements now. Why are they on board?"

Grineer Captain: "They're targeting someone in particular. It seems to be an agent who just got back from a mission."

Grineer Commander: "That filthy old witch! Why does she keep harassing us with her dimwitted Tenno?"

Grineer Captain: "Sir? Maybe you shouldn't use that kind of language. This isn't exactly a secure channel."

Grineer Commander: "Ha! What's she going to do? Just keep shooting until the Tenno goes home crying to 'mommy.' Not that she can even have kids, or that anyone would want to have one with her."

Lotus (to Tenno): "Change of plans, ignore your original objective. Leave nothing alive."

She wouldn't even need to ask, just patch me into the channel and I'd change the plans myself.

Don't diss spacemom, you jerks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Indeed, having other types pop up would be more interesting. For instance, it could be an optional rescue. Rushers could ignore it, but people that wanted to could do the rescue for an extra reward roll at the end of the mission or whatnot.

Please if DE actually implemented it, they'd make sure that there is.no extra reward and you just get the normal one 

If it's one thing DE makes sure, it's that putting in extra effort gets you $&*^ and you'll thank them for not respecting your time because otherwise you're 'optimising the fun out of the game'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

I'm starting to believe it's a way for DE to slow the players down. 

I have occasionally wondered if it happened when people were completing a mission too quickly.

37 minutes ago, (PSN)rexis12 said:

Please if DE actually implemented it, they'd make sure that there is.no extra reward and you just get the normal one 

If it's one thing DE makes sure, it's that putting in extra effort gets you $&*^ and you'll thank them for not respecting your time because otherwise you're 'optimising the fun out of the game'.

You should lock your doors so there aren't people constantly pissing in your cereal. You sure seem to be awful angry at the world.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

I have occasionally wondered if it happened when people were completing a mission too quickly.

You should lock your doors so there aren't people constantly pissing in your cereal. You sure seem to be awful angry at the world.

Well Capture is the shortest mission type warframe has at the moment. I still dont' know why there's only one capture target. DE could just spawn another one after the frist one gets capture. Must be a map spawn issue.

My issue with those "change of plans" moments is that when it happens, suddenly all enemies just stop spawning. I wouldn't be so salty about it if I didn't have to run through an empty map every time it happens.

But for now - every time the plans change I perform a cool trick called "the fastest mission abort in the west".

• Like 3

14 hours ago, PrideB4TheFall said:

I know this has been a long time feature Scott wanted but apparently caused problems to implement the way he wanted fully.

It actually used to work just fine. The "change of plans" could be more than just Exterminate, and could happen on more than just Capture and MD. I've seen reports of Rescues turning into Spies (Spy vaults before mid-2015 worked differently)

So yes, now that it doesn't even work like it used to, it's time for it to go. Scott's dream of procedural missions is achieved by bounties instead

10 hours ago, (PSN)rexis12 said:

Haha. “You don’t tell me what to do, DE! You’re not my real father! You can disincentivise needlessly optimal strategies and I’ll still make sure I chase them!”

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PrideB4TheFall said:

Isn't it time for this aspect of the game to go?

As a mandatory "You must do this"?  Definitely.

If it was an optional side-objective with a small bonus reward and was slightly expanded on?  Sure, I'd actually like that.

But the mandatory "Lol, you thought you just finished the mission objectives?  Have another one" really needs to go.
Last time it happened to me was an MDef mission.  Got through all 3 terminals and then bam "Kill 60 enemies please!  Oh and we won't respawn the enemies near you, head backwards to find them and kill them so you can finish the mission."

Honestly it would be much better if they couldn't drop the objective change after you had completed the objective.
An MDef mission turning into exterminate on the first or second console?  Ok, that's acceptable.
Turning into an exterminate after you have all 3 consoles complete and are heading to extraction?  That can just frak off.

• Like 1

In my perspective, the thing that makes "change of plans" feel as bad as it does is that it negates my choices as a player.  When I choose a mission on a planet, 95% of the time the reason I chose that mission is because I wanted to do a specific mission type.  To undo the choice I already explicitly made isn't fun, it's literally a chore that's been placed between me and what I actually signed up to do.

Maybe it would be better if this random event lead to something genuinely interesting, or if there were special bonus rewards for completing it like a rare crate?  Then I would be excited to get the event and complete it, instead of bummed.

13 hours ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

Well Capture is the shortest mission type warframe has at the moment. I still dont' know why there's only one capture target. DE could just spawn another one after the frist one gets capture. Must be a map spawn issue.

That would be cool to have the possibility of multiple captures in 1 mission. They'd have to remove the Nightwave "FInish a mission in under 90 seconds" though if there were more random possible twists and turns. Still it would be more interesting IMHO, even if I run capture missions for quick relic cracking like everyone else.