Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

what are Snipers good for ??

Vicious_Vipa

Snipers? They're good for fun. Lots of the above comments have good suggestions to make them useful and viable. As a sniper type myself, i tend to stick to bows~ with a mobile squad in a large tileset, i can do the same thing on the move; take out priority targets with high damage single target attacks. Snipers need love.

I usually use them because I dont like changing weapons for every mission. So I choosed a balanced combination:

Primary: Vectis prime   --> long ranged combat

Secondary: Akstiletto prime  --> middle ranged combat

Melee: Galatine prime  --> short ranged combat

It's odd because Snipers work much better with Punch Through. That typically makes up for most of their drawbacks for me. Yet when you can get the Snipetron Vandal or Lanka with their innate punch-through, all other Snipers fall off like a rock in comparison, mainly in terms of utility.

I honestly feel that reducing their zoom is the first step to helping them out a bit. While I get that they're a long range weapon, nothing in the game truly embraces that kind of playstyle. The zoom is just too excessive, and unneeded. Otherwise, maybe tweaking them to have no sway at all would help. Again, I get why it's there, yet it's unneeded and only hinders the weapon even more due to you needing to get constant headshots to deal decent damage. Finally, they need an increase in Crit Damage. They need to essentially one-shot or two-shot constantly in order to be viable against hordes of enemies.

In the very least, we do have Warframes like Nova, Equinox, Vauban, Ivara and Frost, who honestly make using these kinds of weapons that much easier. 

What this thread piece clearly indicates is the need for a sniper rifle with a low zoom scope and moderate rate of fire. I tried my hand at this over in my design Pit, but, what I ended up with essentially amounted to a pump-action rifle with a blue-dot scope and a chassis based on the Braton. Not quite . . .fancy enough, I suppose.

Looking at this from an in-game perspective, what I'm seeing folks asking for sounds like a marriage between the Grinlock and the iron sights from the the Gearsian Hammerburst with a bit of punchthrough sprinkled on top. That sound right?

On 12/10/2016 at 1:43 AM, Vicious_Vipa said:

in a game where 100 brainless enemies at once rush at you?

I believe that most players only have them for special sortie conditions ;)-

most sniper rifles don't even have innate punch through which would give them at least a little bit of utility.

Maybe they'd have a right to exist if they could penetrate Nullifier Bubbles or something like that, and therefore help the team by taking out these specific threats.

It really is a mystery for me why DE does not give them more love.

Riven mod for the vulkar, will make it deadly as hell

4 hours ago, (Xbox One)Graysmog said:

It's odd because Snipers work much better with Punch Through. That typically makes up for most of their drawbacks for me. Yet when you can get the Snipetron Vandal or Lanka with their innate punch-through, all other Snipers fall off like a rock in comparison, mainly in terms of utility.

It's true that snipers work better with punch through, but then you could say that about any weapon.

Bows benefit far more from punch through than snipers do, although it's less logical that they should have it.

With a sniper you can reliably make headshots at very long range, due to their hitscan nature and high zoom; bows suffer in comparison at that range because of projectile travel time and arc, and the lower zoom. Being able to hit targets centre-mass through cover with punch through mitigates that difference somewhat.

On 12/9/2016 at 9:43 PM, Vicious_Vipa said:

in a game where 100 brainless enemies at once rush at you?

I believe that most players only have them for special sortie conditions ;)-

most sniper rifles don't even have innate punch through which would give them at least a little bit of utility.

Maybe they'd have a right to exist if they could penetrate Nullifier Bubbles or something like that, and therefore help the team by taking out these specific threats.

It really is a mystery for me why DE does not give them more love.

Whenever I have to do a high level assasination (approx level 100), I always take my Nova. M-Prime the target, then parkour up to high ground, take cover and snipe until boss is dead. So yeah they're good for that.

Edited by Master-Nachash

Some snipers like the Vectis do a ton of damage with only a single bullet or 2 with the Vectis Prime, So i think the idea of snipers is taking out high level single targets but they do need a slight buff since some weapons seem to do it better even if the Vectis and Vulkar Wraith are a lot of fun to use

How dare you question the usefulness of my Lex Prime!? I'll have you know it is an amazing weapon that can - OHHH, You mean, those primary weapons that are actually labeled as snipers. Those, yeah, they're pretty useless. 

Just got done maxing the vectis prime (vanilla vectis was already maxed) because I got two riven mods and figured it would make a least one of the snipers viable. In the end, it went back into storage like all the other sniper rifles I own and gave the riven latron back to my nyx. Sadly, all the great ideas from the community for making snipers viable were not implemented in the sniper "rework" and snipers remain just as clunky and useless as always. 

16 hours ago, motorfirebox said:

I honestly think that we could make snipers an... acceptable choice, if not a great choice, without any really major changes. The easiest one to introduce: on outdoor levels, put in a handful of archwing enemies sniping from a klick away, buzzing around the edge of the tile. Give them the laser sight warning thing that other sniper enemies have, so that if you don't have a sniper yourself you can still avoid them. It wouldn't make sniper rifles a great choice, but it'd give them something to do.

Beyond that, there are possibilities like mortar pits—a couple guys with a mortar tube way off in the distance, dropping 'splosions on you until you take them out. You can rush across the battlefield dodging their fire (again, some kind of warning-to-dodge indicator would be in place), or you can pop their heads with a sniper rifle from across the map.

And beyond that, DE could just plain have sniper mobs start acting like snipers. Instead of tromping across the map towards you, sniper mobs should hole up in a nice, well-defended nest and take potshots. Again, you can fight  your way up to the nest, or you can outsnipe them.

Additions like that would at least be a step in the right direction. And honestly, while Warframe is primarily a horde shooter, it's been chafing under the yoke of being just a horde shooter basically forever. There's a lot of room for other kinds of gameplay.

Those all sound like pretty significant changes to the game, you're basically asking for another type of combat to be added onto the game, which in turn everyone would have to adapt to for a majority of their playing. That isn't to say change is bad, though I've no idea if people would be fond of a prospect like this, but it would be a hefty change none the less to the flow on combat in the game, and even how you deal with combat, which isn't something minor. I'm also not sure how such a change would fit with this game's philosophy of you being able to customize your arsenal as you please and still be capable for all fields of content, because if you build units around the idea of just one specific kind of weapon type that's basically making said weapon type a mandatory tool for all content involving that unit, which is rather inflexible. 

21 hours ago, Cubewano said:

Those all sound like pretty significant changes to the game, you're basically asking for another type of combat to be added onto the game, which in turn everyone would have to adapt to for a majority of their playing. That isn't to say change is bad, though I've no idea if people would be fond of a prospect like this, but it would be a hefty change none the less to the flow on combat in the game, and even how you deal with combat, which isn't something minor. I'm also not sure how such a change would fit with this game's philosophy of you being able to customize your arsenal as you please and still be capable for all fields of content, because if you build units around the idea of just one specific kind of weapon type that's basically making said weapon type a mandatory tool for all content involving that unit, which is rather inflexible. 

Well, it wouldn't be mandatory per se. You could use a bow or even a Latron or something, or you could just get closer (aside from the archwing mobs). A sniper rifle would just have an advantage.

Same as bows, except they don't have flight time (barring the Lanka), have the time you can't fire after the shot instead of before the shot, and the shots fly in a 100% straight line. Nobody promised snipers to be anything other than situational. (They're so popular in PvP games like CoD because snipers are designed to camp the enemy, and Warframe's gameplay tends not to reward camping.) I personally use snipers (a high-fire-rate Vectis) with my Res Banshee setup to take out priority targets quickly, as more often than not the rest of my team is just spraying and praying.

Mostly curiosity. So the players did not complain about where the sniper, we want sniper.

For sorties and master rank. Sniper don't work too well in the game with fast action and very large amounts of enemies. They are much more useful weapons.

Edited by peger

19 hours ago, motorfirebox said:

Well, it wouldn't be mandatory per se. You could use a bow or even a Latron or something, or you could just get closer (aside from the archwing mobs). A sniper rifle would just have an advantage.

Which is still forcing into a specific weapon setup for matches, or severely inconveniencing a players for not liking that playstyle, which isn't a mild change. 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:36 PM, HalfDarkShadow said:

Nah, there are plenty of players I run into a daily basis that use Snipers.

And personally, with my 6 forma, [red] crit Rubico build (dat 15x Critical Damage multiplier though~), I never once had any real issue with it, but I suppose that's because I try to aim and not a fan of spray-and-pray automatic rifles. But that's just me.

Also a handful of them have a much faster fire-rate than any bow, and you actually have a magazine (since not every sniper is a Vectis/Vectis Prime), but in all it seems more that you and some others are just trying to fit it into how you play and not understanding, just like bows, have a different purpose.
So instead of blaming the class that it's somehow inherently broken (because again, there are plenty of players who are very successful in using them), first really sit and think if it's yourself is the issue.

• Are you aiming correctly?
  • Are you going for headshots or body shots?
  • Are you taking advantage of Punch Through mods (they are there for a reason) and any other utility to help you perform better?

Many people seem to dismiss them all together before even considering some of these factors. Of course there is always room for improvements for the class, but they are far, and I mean far from being unusable. It takes practice and using one for barely hour wont cut it. Not assuming that's the OP but making a general statement for those kind of mindsets.

I agree with everything said in this post. I also made my Rubico into a crit beast. It (and other sniper rifles) is even deadlier when used with Ivara's Prowl. With that crit damage, I don't even care about the combo counters.

Snipers really shine in solo and/or strategic group play.

On Friday, December 09, 2016 at 6:36 PM, HalfDarkShadow said:

Nah, there are plenty of players I run into a daily basis that use Snipers.

And personally, with my 6 forma, [red] crit Rubico build (dat 15x Critical Damage multiplier though~), I never once had any real issue with it, but I suppose that's because I try to aim and not a fan of spray-and-pray automatic rifles. But that's just me.

Also a handful of them have a much faster fire-rate than any bow, and you actually have a magazine (since not every sniper is a Vectis/Vectis Prime), but in all it seems more that you and some others are just trying to fit it into how you play and not understanding, just like bows, have a different purpose.
So instead of blaming the class that it's somehow inherently broken (because again, there are plenty of players who are very successful in using them), first really sit and think if it's yourself is the issue.

• Are you aiming correctly?
  • Are you going for headshots or body shots?
  • Are you taking advantage of Punch Through mods (they are there for a reason) and any other utility to help you perform better?

Many people seem to dismiss them all together before even considering some of these factors. Of course there is always room for improvements for the class, but they are far, and I mean far from being unusable. It takes practice and using one for barely hour wont cut it. Not assuming that's the OP but making a general statement for those kind of mindsets.

I don't think they are unuseable either, but in terms of damage, vs shotguns and bows, they don't hit as hard. The Lanka is the only weapon that seems to defy this rule, before rivens at least, but for the most part the Vaykor Hek/Sancti Tigris/Dread do far more damage. Granted the effective range of snipers is better, but this typically doesn't mean much. It matters more in defense I suppose. The random spread from their strangely low accuracy rating, and "disappearing bullets" are huge issues for the class though. Again, I haven't revisited the class since rivens, but the whole maps argument doesn't make it deal more damage end game. I can quick scope just fine. Maps being typically small is really a very minor issue for the class at large. Nullifiers are a huge issue for snipers however. Machine pistols help with this, but their limited ammo pools really hurt, so this hurts late game void and corpus runs. Just a few thoughts. I typically like to use the Vectis Prime/Vulkar Wraith when I do snipe. They aren't THAT bad.

I like the idea to give weapons special passives. Sniper rifles for example could pierce nullifier bubbles or have mods for AOE on successful headshots. There's a lot that could be done to make snipers viable in a game where Tonkors and one shot AOE clears reign supreme. 

Edited by OmniXVII

Consistently high damage, if you have the skill to combo shots, and get headshots. Their skill-based damage potential is unrivaled in many cases. Armor is often an issue, but there are ways around that. If you don't... that's too bad. I usually have a 2.5-3x multiplier, which is incredible with crit headshots, and corrosive procs from Vulkar Wraith's, my favorite sniper's, augment. Also, slash proc Vectis Prime or Vulkar Wraith with Madurai exist.