Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dear DE... Why defense and not defence?

(PSN)KingGuy420

36 minutes ago, (PS4)KingGuy420 said:

It's really not that important. I'm talking strictly about the Canadian version of British English in which snogging is not used. Also, never once said one was weirder than the other. So yeah, not the important. Definitely not relevant lol.

You never said one was weirder,  I was quoting someone else 😂 

Dammit Canada when are you going to invade and bring us your glorious base-ten measurements?  Though I will defend Fahrenheit, it and Celsius are both arbitrary are easy to convert anyway, and people who know what they're doing wouldn't have an issue.  ...And because I was afraid I would actually be productive and get something done today, now I'm trying to figure out whether or not there would be an overall loss of efficiency across all of society were we to use both but also sensibly mark which scale is being used when applicable.

Edited by Vox_Preliator

What's really funny is when you go to US sporting events and see the dudes with the giant "D" and the fence being used to cheer for Defense... Almost acknowledging the fact that its root in British english is indeed spelled de"fence". God, I love being from the US XD

all this made me think of is my English teachers who hated me for my essays since id use the various regions of spelling since i know them because i thought it was funny to give them a toss up

color colour armor armour defence defense centre center stuff like that 

i also use phrases and words from different languages int my normal speaking patterns that ive picked up mostly from video games i have to make a mental effort to not say swazdo lah to any one who says hi to me 

Edited by seprent

2 hours ago, Umbriellan said:

Why " Defense " ?

Easy my friend... because it's the french way to spell it !

The French have a word for defence? Huh... Who knew :wink:

59 minutes ago, [DE]Drew said:

So sorry, bud. Just trying to keep things simple, eh? 

*sips pop*

Darn it Canada, we British went to such great lengths to get everything unified under one flag, we even gave you independence when you wanted it...

And this is how you repay us? American spellings?

Image result for it's a scandal it's an outrage 

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

The French have a word for defence? Huh... Who knew :wink:

Darn it Canada, we British went to such great lengths to get everything unified under one flag, we even gave you independence when you wanted it...

And this is how you repay us? American spellings?

Image result for it's a scandal it's an outrage 

FRENCH WWII RIFLE FOR SALE! DROPPED ONCE NEVER FIRED!

3 hours ago, Erytroxylin said:

Both are correct. I think they should put a randomizer in the code that makes it sometimes use the c and sometimes the s just to mess with people.

Messing with people is the pinnacle of existence and I'm questioning whether or not you're me.

Can anyone confirm or refute whether D.E does use the (incorrect) American spelling in words like Colour, as i haven't noticed in game, and whether they use the (incorrect) American way of writing the date which sees the month, then day, then year, as opposed to the more sensible day, month, year system used in (most?) other places?

P.S please, no panty bunching...this is light hearted and not an attack on the great people of the U.S.

Edited by (PS4)RhinoCharging00

Here's the thing that gets me. A couple months or so back, a bug report was actually filed on the forums where a user complained that an item had 'armour' instead of 'armor', and it went through and was accepted.

Like, dang. Way to internalize American culture. Bad enough that over 75% of our television programming comes from the States, now our Canadian video games are propagating American spelling, which was only instated because it was popularized by someone who had a bone to pick and deliberately changed the most ridiculous of things before spreading that to an at-the-time illiterate people.

What's next, are we going to elect presidents instead of prime ministers?