Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who is my operator talking to?

pungbjoern

"Ready to blast these machines into spare parts?"

That's clearly a question aimed at something. Some of the things my operator says are just reflections, or are rhetorical, but some thing are actually aimed at other entities.

But since my operator and "me" (the warframe) are effectively one and the same (something-something-umbra), I wonder who my operator is talking to. If this only happened during multiplayer, I would get it. My operator would be talking to the other operators. But it happens during single play as well. Is my operator breaking the fourth wall? Is my operator talking to the warframe, which has no sentience? And if the operator is talking to the warframe, why was there no awareness of the warframe as a separate entity before we get properly introduced to the operator.

I just don't get it. Maybe someone can shed some light?

After Lua the Operator is self-conscious; so he/she knows he/she is controlling/fighting with the Warframe - so it's more likely toward the warframe he/she's speaking to.

Think of people talking to their vehicles, there is even less sense to make that happen & people are doing it... here the warframe is a biological entity (and we learn a bit more with Umbra & some cutscenes...) so it is indeed logical to have verbal reactions.

Operator have contact with Ordis during missions (Jordas Golem fight is an example) ...and ofc Lotus ...well ...ikr.

Lotus says sometimes "we" in context of her and tenno: "We are here to hijack.", "We must not let the infestation get any more out of control", "We have failed today."

Edited by Critiamat

3 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

I see 3 options here:

-Breaking the 4th wall

-He/She is actually talking to the 'Frame

-You take this way too seriously.

you're wrong on all counts, and trying too hard to be clever. the operator is talking to Lotus, but DE has been too lazy to take it out of the game after

Spoiler

she departs.

Edited by Ikyr0

4 hours ago, Umbriellan said:

After Lua the Operator is self-conscious; so he/she knows he/she is controlling/fighting with the Warframe - so it's more likely toward the warframe he/she's speaking to.

Think of people talking to their vehicles, there is even less sense to make that happen & people are doing it... here the warframe is a biological entity (and we learn a bit more with Umbra & some cutscenes...) so it is indeed logical to have verbal reactions.

This ^

Also, you can think of you're riding a horse. Since you're controlling it and it's alive even if they can't really understand your speech. They're still your companion in arms.

PS. As a joke, in some games that allow auto-text/Macro custom text. I would have my character said something along those line even if there are no one around, like 'Do you think we can do this?'... And when I get into party/squad the auto-text would appear when the quest start, and some player respond to me (it is auto-text so I didn't really ask them...) lol...

5 hours ago, (PS4)ATreidezz said:

He/she talks to the frame, the second dream and sacrifice quest both shown that the warframe has some sort of sentient-ness,especially umbra. 

Yeah, I'm fairly sure the Warframes have some sort of personality built into them. Like how Valkyr is just intrinsically pissed off, and how Nezha is mischievous.

6 minutes ago, Cinder99 said:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure the Warframes have some sort of personality built into them. Like how Valkyr is just intrinsically pissed off, and how Nezha is mischievous.

Warframes have no sense of self nor are they "alive" in the sense that they can have personalities. Umbra is the exception because of Ballas sadism and is also a failed prototype.

Edited by ShadowExodus

Just now, ShadowExodus said:

Warframes have no sense of self nor are they "alive" in the sense that they can have personalities. Umbra is the exception because of Ballas sadism and is also a failed prototype.

So why is Valkyr screaming and being generally angry then?

The frames absolutely have personalities. The Operators are, in a sense, communicating with the frame. We don't see the other half of the dialogue because it's probably more of a feel than anything more tangible.

3 hours ago, Ikyr0 said:

the operator is talking to Lotus

This is not supported by any aspect of the things we say or how any of it is framed.

15 minutes ago, Cinder99 said:

So why is Valkyr screaming and being generally angry then?

Through the tenno obviously. Warframe is husks anything that deals with the personality or behavior is more than likely through the Tenno or by Ballas' design. If it says the warframe does X and X it is more than likely by Ballas' design seen through the Prime trailers where his narration either tells why he created that specific warframe or gives a poetic telling of how that warframe came to be. For example Banshee Prime  and Mirage Prime

I just thought it was the operator being insecure. I mean, they're a child soldier remote controlling a killer "machine". They've not had much for family or friends, as all of them have been killed, or taken away, or both in either order.

Lotus is indeed a motherly figure to them, Ordis through his acting like a fragmented cephalon tries to amuse the child through their antics, or at least give them some sense of normalcy?

And comments like "Ready to blast these machines into spare parts?"... It's the operator mimicking the Lotus, Margulis, their original mother figure or whomever was training them, said in a way to remove guilt.

Actually, the only time when the operator is kind of breaking free from their conditioning, so to speak, when they sound more happy, is when they use archwings in space. My guess is that those weren't a thing back during the Old War, so they'll say "This is kind of fun" Or "Archwing systems nominal" (Quotes aren't correct, I'm aware).

The operator is a void demon that canno talk with it's own kind....so it talks to the only other living thing it can- Warframes.

People will say the Frames do not have personality....and these are the same people that mainly got upset when commanders teleported us and the Frames would look around confused. They see the game as just a game. Bits and bytes and 1's and 0's. They ignore all the signs that the Frames are beings because they canno stand the idea of controlling a living thing without it's will intact (yet they have no prob taking their MagePaladinDaedricArmored max level Skyrim character and destroying whole towns). 

The operator canno go into Dojo, Relays, Bazaar, or further into our ship. They have ONE person they can talk to without the Frame and they know the Frames are more than armor they command. 

The players on the other hand....

1 час назад, (XB1)DShinShoryuken сказал:

The operator canno go into Dojo, Relays, Bazaar, or further into our ship.

Interesting. Really can not. I never thought about it) Why can't they? In missions in space, on planets in open worlds, operators can easily go out of frames and move. And why do they need a frame in the Relay, Dojo and Bazaar ...