Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who is my operator talking to?

pungbjoern

Listen here, well... More like reading, the Tenno do NOT control the Warframe, they just take the pain away, that is the reason it is called "Somatic link", instead of the Warframe receiving an excessive load of pain, it goes half and half with the operator, in reality it is not "Complete" control, they take partial control because of the self  sentientness and awareness of the Warframe, the pain they constantly feel is what kepts them from acting at their own will, the operator is the one that takes half the pain and take partial control of it, but there are two minds, one body.

So it is that your operator is talking to the Warframe and him/herself as two different persons but "Single minded", as they both want the same; bringing peace back to the origin system.

20 hours ago, ShadowExodus said:

Through the tenno obviously. Warframe is husks anything that deals with the personality or behavior is more than likely through the Tenno or by Ballas' design. If it says the warframe does X and X it is more than likely by Ballas' design seen through the Prime trailers where his narration either tells why he created that specific warframe or gives a poetic telling of how that warframe came to be. For example Banshee Prime  and Mirage Prime

The way I see mirage prime trailer is that he talking to the person that became the warframe that defying him and ruin his design with its own will. So they not dead empy metal shells and umbra is not the one and only sentient one as they used ppl for every frame  willing and non willing ppl  they didn't just make the frames out of dead cattles. Umbra is just the frame they used to tell the story on how frames are made.

They are talking to the warframe. I have long since believed the frames to have some rudimentary sentience ever since they rescued you from the Stalker at the end of Second Dream. The Sacrifice solidified that with Umbra's wild and wounded spirit fighting for revenge.

On 2018-12-14 at 2:40 PM, pungbjoern said:

"Ready to blast these machines into spare parts?"

That's clearly a question aimed at something. Some of the things my operator says are just reflections, or are rhetorical, but some thing are actually aimed at other entities.

But since my operator and "me" (the warframe) are effectively one and the same (something-something-umbra), I wonder who my operator is talking to. If this only happened during multiplayer, I would get it. My operator would be talking to the other operators. But it happens during single play as well. Is my operator breaking the fourth wall? Is my operator talking to the warframe, which has no sentience? And if the operator is talking to the warframe, why was there no awareness of the warframe as a separate entity before we get properly introduced to the operator.

I just don't get it. Maybe someone can shed some light?

if you spend god knows how many year in stasis and when you wake up, you find your self alone in a space ship, im pretty sure you will start talking to yourself.

Pretty sure just talking to him/herself or the Warframe
Like, say, you're about to go on a long trip with your favorite car and you pat the hood and say "ready to go for a long ride ?"

Okay that might be a little weird but I can see myself doing it lol

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎14 at 3:51 PM, FlusteredFerret said:

I don't think I've ever heard my operator say anything outside of quest cut-scenes.

The operator talks quite a bit on occasion. Whether it's just an internal monologue running externally or actually talking to the warframe (it might get dicey if it ever answers...) is debatable. If the operator's mic is open, they might even be talking to Ordis, though I don't see him not responding, so probably not. 

Choose an answer. Considering the fact that the operator has been either dreaming or locked in what amounts to an isolation chamber for centuries, the only real surprise would be if they weren't a bit quirky. 

My own choice is the operator is talking to the warframe. This is a living being of some sort and the operator has worked and lived with it for a very long time, so talking to it, especially when there's no one else to talk to, isn't really surprising. 

3 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

The operator talks quite a bit on occasion. Whether it's just an internal monologue running externally or actually talking to the warframe (it might get dicey if it ever answers...) is debatable. If the operator's mic is open, they might even be talking to Ordis, though I don't see him not responding, so probably not. 

Choose an answer. Considering the fact that the operator has been either dreaming or locked in what amounts to an isolation chamber for centuries, the only real surprise would be if they weren't a bit quirky. 

My own choice is the operator is talking to the warframe. This is a living being of some sort and the operator has worked and lived with it for a very long time, so talking to it, especially when there's no one else to talk to, isn't really surprising. 

Makes sense to me. I just found the option in the Audio settings to turn the Operator's voice on...I might just hear some of their monologues now. 

A lot of what is said seems to be squad chatter - much as soldier units may speak to one another in games. "Archwing Deployed" for example or "watch for security systems". From the Alad V cutscenes we do know that frames can talk to one another, so this seems to be what is going on.

I think that the Tenno is talking to the frame as well.  Most of what they say is just self talk and random comments like when you're flying around in your archwing and he says "Woo!  This should be fun."  But there's no personality in the frames, because they aren't alive (Umbra being the exception).  How do we know?  They never give any indication of being alive at all.  When I leave my frame they aren't running around gunning enemies.  They just stand there with their head sunken like a deactivated robot.  The second dream isn't an example to the countrary because we learn in the war within that they can control the frames remotely without the use of the transference device so there's no reason to believe that in an act of desperation (stalking holding him up by his throat and going for the killing blow) that they couldn't summon that same power at a very VERY short range.  Also if the frames were alive then the wound created by War being stabbed straight through it would have killed it there on the spot (also no blood from tearing half the weapon out through its own top half).

Finally, Valkyr is also not alive just because her ability causes a scream.  That's not an indication of a personality anymore than Rhino's roar is an indication of his.  It's just how her ability works.  There's never been any situation where she's ever been shown to be pissed off.

I believe that the frames were alive at one time, back in history when they did amazing things that we can read about in the codex, but now what we have is just a copy of a copy of ect.  If any of the frames are alive it's likely the prime variants, but I think those are just a copy of the primes anyway if the relics do happen to hold old remains left behind when the frames were eventually destroyed in battle.

What we pilot around are likely just helmith filled suits of armor made of circuitry, space minerals, and really cool weapons.

13 hours ago, WRESinn said:

I think that the Tenno is talking to the frame as well.  Most of what they say is just self talk and random comments like when you're flying around in your archwing and he says "Woo!  This should be fun."  But there's no personality in the frames, because they aren't alive (Umbra being the exception).  How do we know?  They never give any indication of being alive at all.  When I leave my frame they aren't running around gunning enemies.  They just stand there with their head sunken like a deactivated robot.  The second dream isn't an example to the countrary because we learn in the war within that they can control the frames remotely without the use of the transference device so there's no reason to believe that in an act of desperation (stalking holding him up by his throat and going for the killing blow) that they couldn't summon that same power at a very VERY short range.  Also if the frames were alive then the wound created by War being stabbed straight through it would have killed it there on the spot (also no blood from tearing half the weapon out through its own top half).

Finally, Valkyr is also not alive just because her ability causes a scream.  That's not an indication of a personality anymore than Rhino's roar is an indication of his.  It's just how her ability works.  There's never been any situation where she's ever been shown to be pissed off.

I believe that the frames were alive at one time, back in history when they did amazing things that we can read about in the codex, but now what we have is just a copy of a copy of ect.  If any of the frames are alive it's likely the prime variants, but I think those are just a copy of the primes anyway if the relics do happen to hold old remains left behind when the frames were eventually destroyed in battle.

What we pilot around are likely just helmith filled suits of armor made of circuitry, space minerals, and really cool weapons.

Not really.

Prime Variants are as of now real warframes from the Orokin Era. It is stated multiple times in Codex and etc.

What specific "great" things are you talking about that players can't do and "some true old warframes" could do?

I believe that Operators will get even more powerful after "New War" (incoming lore quest) so maybe after that Operators will unlock some new powers of Warframes or something.

However without the doubt Prime Gear is orginal Orokin stuff, unless DE changes something in Warframe Lore.

That little prick is talking like he's in charge.

He /she needs to stop. It's my ship. I'm in charge. I did all the grinding, I bought all the platinum, I did all the work.

Space kid shows up after a retconned story quest and acts like he's the main character after 5 years....

Nope. Afaic the space kid is an unwanted stow away that for some reason gets half my ship. 

Now shut up space kid. I have to work for a living to buy platinum!

10 hours ago, Aramil999 said:

Not really.

Prime Variants are as of now real warframes from the Orokin Era. It is stated multiple times in Codex and etc.

What specific "great" things are you talking about that players can't do and "some true old warframes" could do?

I believe that Operators will get even more powerful after "New War" (incoming lore quest) so maybe after that Operators will unlock some new powers of Warframes or something.

However without the doubt Prime Gear is orginal Orokin stuff, unless DE changes something in Warframe Lore.

Yeah the Prime variants are the true frames, but we aren't getting the true frames, just their direct blue prints to their neuroptics, systems, and chassis.  We aren't opening a relic and then an entire frame drops out of it.  if anything it's body parts that ordis then turns into blueprint parts.

There is the argument that perhaps they are talking to Lotus, Ordis or whoever is directing the mission as there is clearly some form on established communication channel. Think about most games/movies where there is some sort of open channel, someone has to make the snarky comment during the mission.

Personally I'm fond of the idea that they are talking to the frame as they are living people as noted by the sacrifice and Rhinos codex. They just need the operator to not be violent unstoppable killing machines... oh wait.

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:57 PM, Falconer777 said:

Interesting. Really can not. I never thought about it) Why can't they? In missions in space, on planets in open worlds, operators can easily go out of frames and move. And why do they need a frame in the Relay, Dojo and Bazaar ...

You can go Operator in the Dojo, you can run around all you would like as an operator. Why you would do that is beyond me but the option is there you just need to unlock it via story quest first. Same with Cetus and Fortuna. Want to run around as an Operator then go ahead.

Relays are a no go I believe.

On 2018-12-15 at 1:57 AM, Falconer777 said:

Interesting. Really can not. I never thought about it) Why can't they? In missions in space, on planets in open worlds, operators can easily go out of frames and move. And why do they need a frame in the Relay, Dojo and Bazaar ...

It just hasn't been added as a functional part of the game yet, for any Relays that aren't Cetus / Fortuna.  But they're able to run around in the Dojo, in open worlds, in your own ship, and in normal tileset generated missions.

Really, there are no lore reasons to why it can't work.
Just hasn't been made functional yet.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

@(PS4)wintersfrozen, @AEP8FlyBoyYes, I know that they can run freely in many places. About Dojo - I meant the flight to the Dojo itself. Or just I did not try to fly there as an operator)

In Relay and Bazaar, this may require additional work with the code. Maybe that's why they have not completed it yet.                                Although a lot of time has passed since the operators quests)