Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

melee 3.0 losing manual block

Ragingwasabi

An unfortunate sacrifice, especially since it means loosing the extremely under-rated counter system, but at least this way things like Snipers or the Tigris can still be used fluidly with melee.

Another thing I am worried about is loosing access to the quick-melee combos that were better than the full e-spam combo for the same stance. There weren't many, but they did exist.

Wait....what?  Melee 3.0 gets Auto blocking?

Do we lack buttons THIS bad?

I mean....For guns we have:  Aim , Alt fire, Fire.      For melee it should be like...Block, Heavy attack/finisher, Normal attack.   3 buttons.   +1 to swap from ranged to melee.

All they had to do it to make Melee-to-Gun-to-Melee swap instant, with cancellable animation.    

Blocking has nothing to do with any of this.....why dafuc do they need to tamper with it....... Man, im so foken disappointed.  

18 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

but at least this way things like Snipers or the Tigris can still be used fluidly with melee

I believe that lack of "fluidity" was caused only by Swap animations.   No swap delay/animation would mean instant switch from gun to melee.   Instant full melee mode. No need to remove Blocking.  No need for quick melee...

Since you can just tap switch button and melee...tap again to gun...  thats almost as fluid.  Yes, you need to press 1 extra button...Is that such a big deal?  People use slide attacks that require 4 buttons to be pressed at once...no issues.

3 hours ago, Kainosh said:

I believe that lack of "fluidity" was caused only by Swap animations.   No swap delay/animation would mean instant switch from gun to melee.   Instant full melee mode. No need to remove Blocking.  No need for quick melee...

Since you can just tap switch button and melee...tap again to gun...  thats almost as fluid.  Yes, you need to press 1 extra button...Is that such a big deal?  People use slide attacks that require 4 buttons to be pressed at once...no issues.

I was talking more about how the new system, if it kept blocking, would have required you to fire a shot every time you swap back to your gun, which would have been bad for weapons with slower fire rates and/or small magazines.

Though, now that I think about it, if we are losing manual blocking, how will we perform Block combos? Those tend to be my favorite combo in most stances.

Imho, it was a missed opportunity to merge the ADS (Aim Down Sights) button with the Block button. On Twitter and even on some Devstream commentary, it was noted that if you pressed the key to fire your gun you’ll be switched to gun mode but this was also mentioned with the ADS button. If you pressed the melee button you’ll be in melee mode.

From my understanding, DE is planning to remove holding the weapon swap button to go into melee mode entirely, and will be streamlining both gunplay and melee into a single instance in your keybinds. The weappn swap key will only be used to swap primary and secondary. On a controller, they’re going to designate two buttons that are the dedicated gun and melee attack keys that will quickly swap the modes. However, they mentioned that the ADS keybind will also switch to gunplay mode, and in that regard I feel like that portion could have been used as a universal keybind that could be streamlined for both modes (in my argument, to aim-down-sights and blocking altogether). 

What’s going to be finicky is that if we are going to have auto-block, Guardian Derision, Electromagnetic Shielding, aimglide blocking and I believe gap closers will cease to lose their on-command functionality. It’ll just be odd to have an auto-parry system and not have any control over how we block and when we want to block. They may as well remove these alternate utility mods or features tied to blocking if we’re getting an auto-parry, since it’ll be somewhat too clunky to take advantage of.

Another thing is on controllers (unsure about KB&M) we have a keybind called “Context Action.” Context Action, I feel, might be the button used for Heavy Attacks since it and the alt-fire key is never used in melee mode. Heavy Attacks can have this designated keybind if we’re going this route (and if gap closers are NOT Heavy Attacks but their own type of attack), while gap closers can be utilized as a combination of two key pressed at once (the wide belief was that it would be block+melee, but several peeps in the community have disputed that crouch+melee could be integrated - imho as long as it doesn’t conflict with slide attacks).

In any case, I’m interested to see what DE plans to do after making this announcement. I’m not happy with the removal of the block mechanic in favor of auto-block/parry. It just seems nonsensical since you always want to do a specific action at a specific time with a specific key stroke/button press. Going for auto-block just makes melee 2.99997-something more in favor of streamling more gunplay options with melee mode and removing certain actions in melee. This was already apparent when you would go into gun mode when you fire your gun or ADS, whereas when going into melee mode it’s pressing the melee button. 

tl;dr: Missed opportunity in linking ADS key with Block to make that into a universal feature that works for both gunplay and melee. Fire trigger and ADS enter gun mode, to enter melee mode it’s pressing melee button - why? There are more than enough buttons on controller for melee mode with Fire trigger as designated gun mode button to utilize Block feature, but DE either did not pursue that juncture or plans to utilize it for another melee feature. Still questioning why gun mode has two activation keys while melee mode only has one key, thereby enforcing gunplay as being more streamlined than melee instead of having the two work in tandem.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

From my understanding, DE is planning to remove holding the weapon swap button to go into melee mode entirely, and will be streamlining both gunplay and melee into a single instance in your keybinds. 

As a Mesa player, I'm wondering if I'll be able to switch from PM to melee instantly? Considering Steve already said the new blocking will work with exalted abilities....

7 minutes ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

As a Mesa player, I'm wondering if I'll be able to switch from PM to melee instantly? Considering Steve already said the new blocking will work with exalted abilities....

I dunno man, that’s a whole another can of worms that I’m not sure what Steve and his core melee-rework team at DE is planning to do. It’s better to side with caution than be overly ecstatic or excited/hyped about it since it’s in a position of high risk of breaking down the melee system for what might be a less-than rewarding experience.

Me, I’m just saddened that I won’t be able to aimglide block anymore. I use that extensively for the DR and parkour, if ADS puts me into gunmode immediately I’ll be gunned down in the air. Especially as a Toxic Lash Saryn.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

how will we perform Block combos?

Various combos (4) are gonna be triggered by MOVEMENT DIRECTION.  Means your favourite combos will be triggered by holding D or W or S while Spamming melee.  

Personally, i think that movement should not be involved in combos.  Singular moves- yes....but combos?  Combos are all about timing and learning...not just holding one button.

Something doesn't sound right about this... how would we skillfully deal with knockdowns in melee without displacing ourselves?

Is melee momentum coming back via auto-parry? Will Stagger continue to override every other animation in the game including dodge?

Sure Footed is a melee block animation is that finally going away to make the mod good? Can I parry / dodge a Bounce yet =P

Agreed. Personally, I would've preferred if blocking was a matter of deflection, where using the block/aim button at the right moment would completely block and reflect incoming attacks, Jedi-style. This would also make shields stand out a lot better by allowing them to exert a continuous block after that.

44 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

Agreed. Personally, I would've preferred if blocking was a matter of deflection, where using the block/aim button at the right moment would completely block and reflect incoming attacks, Jedi-style. This would also make shields stand out a lot better by allowing them to exert a continuous block after that.

Steve said channeling isnt getting removed till DT becomes a thing so you can/should be able to still do that by tapping channel (complete block+open enemy to finisher instead of reflect but same difference).

Oh wait, the only place in game where that is explained or brought up is page 2 in the codex on melee 2.0.

Edited by Andele3025

3 minutes ago, Andele3025 said:

Steve said channeling isnt getting removed till DT becomes a thing so you can/should be able to still do that by tapping channel (complete block+open enemy to finisher instead of reflect but same difference).

Oh wait, the only place in game where that is explained or brought up is page 2 in the codex on melee 2.0.

That's partially true, but currently channeled blocking is simply a matter of pressing two buttons and consuming Energy. There's no timing involved, and thus no real gameplay. I personally don't care for channeling, and would rather have blocking become a skill/reaction test, rather than a paid cost.

Honestly, I dunno what to think about it. I can see the idea behind it sounding good, but like.

Man, I dunno. When Melee 2.0 came out, everyone was happy about being able to 'properly' wield their melee weapon. And now we're kind of going back to 1.0 in a sense with stripping back some aspects of melee? The annoying thing is I'd have to heck about with it in order to properly know if I liked it or not, but by the time I get to do so... I mean it'll already be implemented, y'know?

So many things I dunno about. Is it just when you have your melee out that you auto-block? Or will you awkwardly switch to melee visually whenever you're attacked from the front? I know steve said in a tweet that they did a thing for people who rebound their melee button, but what does that actually mean? I've got my Melee bound to m1, so I just have the one 'attack' button whether in melee mode or gun mode. How's this gonna work? Cuz trying to make full use of melee attacks with what is currently my quick melee key would be a pain in the rear given all the garbage my left hand already has to deal with.

The removal of parrying I can only see as a good thing (I never saw the reason for it to be bound to channeling rather than just 'block at the right time' anyway), but I kind of liked being able to actively block, y'know? Maybe we could have like, a 'passive' block and an active block with a greater percent?

Basically, I liked having melee attack on m1 and block on m2, from what I've heard it feels like we're stripping back melee a bit, diminishing its importance compared to your guns.

Y'know?

• 1 month later...

Losing channeling would be devastating. As that also powers up your weapons hits while running it. Losing manual blocking already is awful. It makes the game feel so damn clunky. Loss of mobility, loss of fluidity when coming in from above. 

Also there is this thing called parrying for ppl that think it didn't take much skill to deflect attacks (including melee)

On 2019-02-17 at 10:42 AM, (XB1)alchemPyro said:

They probably did it for the sake of console players. Unlike PC players, their buttons are very limited. Heck I had to totally redesign my melee button scheme just so I could aim gunblades.

then it should have been a toggle for console/controller mode or pc mode, easy peasy. but I am sure they are spearheading this abomination they've created called melee 3.0, more like guns support 3.0. I've already given up, as (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said don't get your hopes up, proceed with caution (not that there is anything that can be done about it) hello devil may warframe. it can go to hell.

2 hours ago, SilviaS12 said:

then it should have been a toggle for console/controller mode or pc mode, easy peasy. but I am sure they are spearheading this abomination they've created called melee 3.0, more like guns support 3.0. I've already given up, as (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said don't get your hopes up, proceed with caution (not that there is anything that can be done about it) hello devil may warframe. it can go to hell.

That's not very nice referencing devil may cry when they did nothing wrong like what de may be trying to pull D: