Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Exploiter Orb is the best boss fight yet

HugintheCrow

Just now, Fluttershy93 said:

Oh you mean the fact that we cant use operator in the fight and become invulnerable? Yeah great fight 😄

Sounds more like a bug to me. Operator for phase one is almost required. I think the fight is actually fun and not overwhelming like the first Orb and its million Corpus goons running around. Just wish we could have gotten som Nef reactions from killing them.

If it wasnt for the mechanics being different from shooting it with the right damage type it would be the worst IMO. Actually trying to engage with the bosses attacks itself isnt interesting, it's really just a puzzle in execution. It's the only thing keeping it actually engaging because outside of the surprise of it, it doesnt do anything to you.

I got hit with the cold waves in the first part but they deal very little damage. That was pretty much the only thing of threat. In the 2nd phase theres almost nothing to hurt you. Coolant drones focus on feeding the orb and the only thing that could possibly hit you is the flamethrower which just means keep your distance but it hardly matters.

I basically ignored the entire fight and made a B-line to do the objective cause there was just... no opposition...

I dint know if theres something wrong or what but my group of 3 went in with 0 knowledge the orb would show up so we had wonky gear, revenant/nyx/garuda and no one used their abilities outside of revenant occasionally wiping the mites.

Great spectacle. Loved the first fight but man fighting it over and over is dull.

Edited by Annnoth

meh in all honesty, seems far too long winded too and my adaptation inaros just shook all the damage off like it was nothing.  Most stages seem 'time gated' due to lack of supplies too imo.

Also really wish there was a way to get like minded players in a group (ie a bounty like everything else has) so we don't get stuck with people doing fractures still.

Personally, I thought it was a pretty good fight. 

The mechanics were interesting, the pacing seemed ok, the skill required to hit the orbs and hit the canisters was par for average player level (unless you're a spazz that spams potato guns but whatever, use some bullets) it was DEFINITELY an improvement on the last fight with profit taker, where it was mostly just bullet hell and someone spams the right element (I mean those fights are cool too but the cycle mechanics were kind of meh. 

But what really got me was how smooth the throwing mechanics were, the cinematic of the fight were pretty great too, it actually made me feel I was playing a different game for a moment because the quality of the voicing and boss movement felt great. Definitely had me remembering old god of war bossfights where you'd have a command prompt, I hope they explore these types of bossfights in the future. 

• Like 1

100% agreed.

It surely isn't perfect, can be polished further but so far the only encounter that truly feels like a boss fight.

We went in unprepared(randoms) and managed to figure it out and defeat him on the first try.

I was using Inaros(with 100% knockdown resist) and I was able to tank him easily through out. We got 2 mesa and 1 saryn. So with healers and buffers it should be an easy fight.

Kudos to DE team. Much better than the first one.

• Like 2

Honestly, the only thing I didn’t like was that my hard-drive seemed determined to make the fight go on longer than it needed to. Let’s just say that the Orb wasn’t the only thing freezing constantly.

Other than that, this is, by far, the best open-world boss fight IMO. It actually feels fair since you aren’t pelted with corpus every 5 seconds and inflicting damage on it isn’t the main focus of the fight, which is great.

It doesn’t hurt that I got the Articula on the first go 😛

Edited by mac10smg-ToaOfGreen
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Fluttershy93 said:

Oh you mean the fact that we cant use operator in the fight and become invulnerable? Yeah great fight 😄

Did I miss something? This is basically how I beat it when I took banshee. Not only using Void Mode, but the operator amp didn't get hit with the DR that my weapons got hit with. Meaning the amp actually did some good damage compared to my guns.

• Like 2

It's actually a pretty good fight! My two criticisms are that your feeling of whether or not you're making any progress is not gonna be reliable, it seems like you just throw as much thermia as you can and pray, and that sometimes she won't create any fractures close enough for you to reliably keep the heat on.

• Like 2

Awful. Started fun but then we got outside. Raknoids keep cooling the orb no matter how fast I kill them only to find out I have to overheat it multiple times after 20 minutes trying to do it once, not made for solo players. Just boring, not going to be doing that again. Especially for those useless rewards.

31 minutes ago, BloodyTides said:

Awful. Started fun but then we got outside. Raknoids keep cooling the orb no matter how fast I kill them only to find out I have to overheat it multiple times after 20 minutes trying to do it once, not made for solo players. Just boring, not going to be doing that again. Especially for those useless rewards.

Ok, this is gonna sound like BS but hear me out: part of the problem is that the UI information during the fight is just kinda bad. Ignore the heat meter, it's really only there to tell you what to do during your first fight. It is a very unreliable guide t whether you're making progress. Just ignore it.

Bring a sniper rifle and a really good sidearm, and just focus entirely on shooting the coolant spiders and throwing charged thermia at the Exploiter. That's it. That's all. No more complicated tactic than that. Just throw as much thermia as you can, and pay no attention to her heat meter. On my second solo run, I took her out in twenty-one minutes.

6 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

focus entirely on shooting the coolant spiders and throwing charged thermia at the Exploiter. That's it. That's all. No more complicated tactic than that. Just throw as much thermia as you can, and pay no attention to her heat meter. On my second solo run, I took her out in twenty-one minutes.

What charged thermia? What mechanism are you referring to in the outside section?

1 minute ago, SilentMobius said:

What charged thermia? What mechanism are you referring to in the outside section?

1. Kill Coolant Raknoids.

2. Pick up the coolant cells they drop.

3.Exploiter will periodically spawn fractures.

4. Walk up to fracture, press use.

5. Your cell is now charged with Thermia.

6.Pick it up.

7. Throw at Exploiter.

Not a very spectacular fight imo. It is good inside, outside it is just horrible. It is all ok up through phase 1 and 2, but then she wanders off to hump a mountain, dragging it out very much. Thankfully I brought Nidus, so I could just stand beneath her so she could scorch as much as she wanted with the flamer, eventually resulting in her moving down into the field again and starting to pop fissures.

I also feels like the thermia currently isnt doing much during the outside fight. No real indication if it shields versus cooling or if it raises her heat. I expected it to be something you could time for when she goes "Division!" and starts humping the ground, but it isnt.

Anyways, we could really use a bounty for it, much like Mini-Leph in PoE.

• Like 1

It's the worst boss fight so far. It doesn't help that throwing the canisters is very buggy, they don't go where I throw them, ever. It reminds me of all the terrible Guild Wars 2 story bosses. Completely random mechanics that are not explained at all, the only way to know what to do is have a detailed guide on what to do. When Zudd said to attack the vents I looked everywhere. I didn't see any on the boss, no vents near it. Turns out they are practically invisible, the only reason you'll know they exist is the tiny "vent" text that pops up when you point at them. I had Rhino Prime and it's Iron skin would be destroyed by three shots from the orb, which is a single volley. I tried other frames and they all insta-die the second the turret fired. There's no way to hit the boss without the turret hitting you, making the boss fight completely impossible.

Edited by yaosio
  • Like 3

Just now, HugintheCrow said:

1. Kill Coolant Raknoids.

2. Pick up the coolant cells they drop.

3.Exploiter will periodically spawn fractures.

4. Walk up to fracture, press use.

5. Your cell is now charged with Thermia.

6.Pick it up.

7. Throw at Exploiter.

So far that seems to be doing squat compared to it standing ontop of a fissure. No notable increase in heat and no notable decrease in cooling either during the thermia "duration".