The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nora is the most annoying NPC

1 hour ago, BETAOPTICS said:

Where did I say it makes something better? That's right, nowhere. The post I responded to was wondering why her transmission is done in the style it has been, and this is the reason. Strictly a description there.

Maybe I didn't make it clear.

Probably should've just said it doesn't excuse how the lines are being said; it doesn't matter if it's a pop cultural reference, it's still annoying line delivery.

17 minutes ago, mac10smg--Toa_of_Green said:

Maybe I didn't make it clear.

Probably should've just said it doesn't excuse how the lines are being said; it doesn't matter if it's a pop cultural reference, it's still annoying line delivery.

That is exactly why if the point of inspiration is this kind of 70's radio delivery, paying homage to that kind of era of presentation, movies, radio, literature and art. That was trendy once and I do not find it surprising at all given how a lot of DE were born or grew up in that era and the game features a lot of references to that 70's era disco-electric machine music style, art, presentation and literature. Corpus is pretty much 70's sci-fi stereotype. For what it is worth it went out of style for a reason, like every style does eventually. Probably much to your fortune I suppose. Regardless back to the original topic.

Edited by BETAOPTICS

I don't mind Nora.  She's there being a saucy space "aunt", giving me gifts for nothing I'm not already doing. 

She's not some guy screaming about a product he will never sell me despite all the credits I am trying to jam in his hand.  No cerulean at all.  

All the NPCs need more lines.  And Konzu needs to offer me a cosmetic item that is his early lunch.  I want a space philly cheesesteak cosmetic item for standing!

I find Lotus annoying in relic missions.

You need reactant to open that relic

Tenno, youve found reactant but you need more

Tenno, kill enemies to get reactant to open your relic...

The first 2 minutes of every mission is her babbling about reactant...its like, ok Lotits, we know....kill the glowy guys, pick up the fireballs.

She's absolutely awful. 

The jive turkey shtick just doesn't fit anywhere in this game. It's so out of place and immersion breaking.

One minute I'm playing a sci-fi space Odyssey the next minute I'm joining a black panthers rally in 70s new York....

Grand Theft Auto called. They want their voice actress back.

Edited by IIDMOII
  • Like 2

To those saying you can turn off Nora in the settings, is there a way to turn off just Nora? I actually like hearing my current mission handler talk to me about the mission sometimes, and especially hearing kiddo (but seriously, they need to modify those a bit, story has progressed such that certain lines make no sense anymore).

On 2019-06-19 at 2:09 PM, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

You hear Nora lines in such a limited amount of time compared to Lotus. Lotus and Ordis have had the same lines for like 4 years.

OP doesn't make any damn sense.

Things can annoy you in different amounts. Nora makes me really thinks DE doesnt know what a southern black person sounds like and went with the most stereotypical one they could find. I get it shes supposed to sound like a smooth jazz radio host but I mean they could've tried a little harder to not be borderline racist.

4 hours ago, (XB1)Demon Intellect said:

Things can annoy you in different amounts. Nora makes me really thinks DE doesnt know what a southern black person sounds like and went with the most stereotypical one they could find. I get it shes supposed to sound like a smooth jazz radio host but I mean they could've tried a little harder to not be borderline racist.

Ah another SJW looking to find offence wherever possible. :facepalm:

Plenty of Southern US black people DO sound EXACTLY like that. Just because its a stereotype, doesn't make it racist in the slightest.

I suppose you'd have complained just as loudly if they'd made an announcer called Billy-Bob who sounded like Cletus the Slackjawed Yokel?

Bet you were also annoyed with the Ghostbusters remake, which features a stereotypical "black female with attitude" too?

Edited by FlusteredFerret
  • Like 2

What seems off to me about Nora is her angle in all that happens. The Lotus, Ordis, Darvo, Simaris, the Syndicates etc. all have a purpose when they "hire" Tenno to do something; it can be a bit vague sometimes, especially with the Syndicates which seem very generic, but doing stuff for them seems to serve some purpose (and Syndicates do have themed rewards). Enemy taunts and dialogue also have something to do with a mission, it's always amusing to listen to Vay Hek, Alad V and others say their lines. With Nora there is no such connection. We are called "bad ass" for doing often next to nothing or she seems to support the Tenno in their fights for no apparent reason. Phrases like "working to make the system a better place" or "equal to our foe" or "being your best selves" seem so generic and unconnected to anything, especially when addressed to the Tenno with the specific background they have.

That's what I really don't like about Nora. It has nothing to do with the voice or the cultural connections of her overall appearance or whatever she's a reference to. I think it would make much better sense if the challenges she gives us were given by a Tenno Council of sorts that want individual Tenno to work on honing specific skills, ways of fighting, doing specific missions or understanding how damage types work. The rewards which we are given would make much more sense this way. This Council (which by the way gives us advice on loading screens) could have some sort of charismatic spokesperson in the form of someone like Nora.

To be young (or old) and bothered by voices in a video game. I remember when all we had were WORDS to read and blips and bloops as sounds....now we get Xena talking to us giving us insight to the universe we are in and people gonna people.

I enjoy Nora as I do not get called a badazz in the real world. I get called Dad. So to hear a woman say things to me (I know she is talking to my Frame and/or Void Demon but I can imagine) is a plus for my old time video game playing self.

Now if only we can get Michael Rosenberg (the guy who was Lex Luthor on Smallville and the Flash on the Justice League animated) to come back and do some Hayden lines....my ears will be completed for hearing.

Chin up....it could be worse- we could get Gilbert Godfrey as a voice

8 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Ah another SJW looking to find offence wherever possible. :facepalm:

Plenty of Southern US black people DO sound EXACTLY like that. Just because its a stereotype, doesn't make it racist in the slightest.

I suppose you'd have complained just as loudly if they'd made an announcer called Billy-Bob who sounded like Cletus the Slackjawed Yokel?

Bet you were also annoyed with the Ghostbusters remake, which features a stereotypical "black female with attitude" too?

I'm actually the opposite of an SJW. I am Southern though and do take offense to being portrayed as annoying. They made her just short of having a line about grape kool aid and fried chicken. 

Few things...

1) Nora's cool AF.

2) Nora does need more lines.

3) Nora needs to lose that "Oh, I don't have a line." line.  It's a bad joke to begin with, but hearing it over and over again just makes it sound like she's got the memory of an ADD goldfish (which is different than regular goldfish, which have demonstrably substantial memories).

DE needs to add an option to turn on\off Nora and the same goes for the grindy no fun Nightwave system in general and for the successful quick alert system. Nora is indeed the most annoying npc in Warframe and one of the reasons why the grindy no fun Nightwave system sucks so much. I stopped playing on a daily basis because of the awful no fun Nightwave system, and I cannot even remember the last time I logged in because it's not worth it.

The nightwave should be a more polished thing and unfortunately it is not! They should give us the option to turn off the voice of the nora who is really annoying! And withdraw those items you can afford with nightwave coins! They are uninteresting and very limiting! They should return the items to the conventional alerts and leave only the rank items (such as umbra, kuva and etc). It would be a lighter, healthier thing in the long run. How it was implemented became a very tiring and limiting system of getting things done. Paying 35 coins for a single cosmetic for me is something very questionable! The unpredictability we had with the alerts was something healthier for the community! We need the old alerts DE! Let nora be separated from the rest! With alerts warframe gains life!

Edited by Luciole77