Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Non humanoid frames

Why?

Edit: I remember a very interesting fan concept of a frame that could turn into an infested animal, was stealthy and could climb walls and ceilings. Art looked similar to a Kubrow Prime armor/fur pattern from Wukong access. I really liked it. But while cool, it was not practical. In addition to reasons already mentioned by GearsMatrix301 and TheDivinity, Warframe is not exactly a game that encourages “stalking a pray” gameplay. And Ivara exists.

What else an animal frame can offer? Speed? Warframes are already inhumanly fast. Enhanced senses? Maaaybe, but again, Warframes can do this too. Every advantage animals have over humans? Frames can do it or there is a tool for it. And frames have hands.

Hostile environmental conditions? Frames are pretty resilient. There is no gravity too high to get on all 4 like Elkor from Mass Effect. Sword-skin is as good as armor.

Animal frame will need a new class of weapons or they will be limited to teeth, claws and mods similar to what pets have. With a new “stance”.

So, a lot of work for one frame and it will not be better then a human frame.

IDK. Why not expand on something already in game? Operators could possess Golden Maw. Why not possess a Charger? But, there must be a reason for it. And a question of what an animal can do what a frame can not arises again.

Edited by rand0mname
Spelling
  • Like 1

Animal-frame can be transformation ones.

We already have hydroid witch transforms into pound. So why not infested theme frame witch by using 4th transform into ball of teeth, claws and death. (Can use exalted weapon slot and akcept dagger/sword mods).

Or we have Trinity right?

• Like 4

I'd imagine the closest we'd come to such a frame would be where one of their abilities turns them into something else.

But even with that we're talking a lot of work going into a single frame even if it was just for a single ability. New rigging, models, and animations would all need to be made. And there would likely be the need for new animations for any environment interactions such as interacting with data masses or hacking and then there are animations like mission entering/extracting and the phase transition ones from the Exploiter Orb.

3 hours ago, rand0mname said:

Why?

Edit: I remember a very interesting fan concept of a frame that could turn into an infested animal, was stealthy and could climb walls and ceilings. Art looked similar to a Kubrow Prime armor/fur pattern from Wukong access. I really liked it. But while cool, it was not practical. In addition to reasons already mentioned by GearsMatrix301 and TheDivinity, Warframe is not exactly a game that encourages “stalking a pray” gameplay. And Ivara exists.

What else an animal frame can offer? Speed? Warframes are already inhumanly fast. Enhanced senses? Maaaybe, but again, Warframes can do this too. Every advantage animals have over humans? Frames can do it or there is a tool for it. And frames have hands.

Hostile environmental conditions? Frames are pretty resilient. There is no gravity too high to get on all 4 like Elkor from Mass Effect. Sword-skin is as good as armor.

Animal frame will need a new class of weapons or they will be limited to teeth, claws and mods similar to what pets have. With a new “stance”.

So, a lot of work for one frame and it will not be better then a human frame.

IDK. Why not expand on something already in game? Operators could possess Golden Maw. Why not possess a Charger? But, there must be a reason for it. And a question of what an animal can do what a frame can not arises again.

Something like a druid class for Warframe? A tank/dps/healer frame depending on stance like khora's furry buddy...but of course more active.

Stealth kavat, big tanky kubrow and a ferocious Pobber as dps

I used to play druid in WoW and I love the versatility.

It's not that it wouldn't be cool af to have something like a werewolf frame, but an animal frame doesn't fit with the lore, while kind of already having an example in game. Without spoiling too much, when we make a Helminth charger we're basically Ballas. Umbra's quest explains things. That said, a frame with an ult that turns you into a giant armored Kubrow with a unique moveset and abilites might be possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

So were starting see more interesting designs with frames with grendal coming out and i wondered, what if DE made a warframe that isn't the traditional humanoid what if we got and animal frame of some sorts?

Someone forgot to put this up there so im gonna help.

^^ Enter the furries:

4 hours ago, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

So were starting see more interesting designs with frames with grendal coming out and i wondered, what if DE made a warframe that isn't the traditional humanoid what if we got and animal frame of some sorts?

It's been asked before.  The problem is technical - all the Warframes share the same basic animation rig.  It's why you can equip any Idle animation set on any frame now.  A non-humanoid Warframe would need a different rig, or at least wildly different animations.

There's been a couple fan concepts for feral / hellcat frames.  Some of them look very nice.  But there would need to be a pretty big incentive to overcome the technical hurdles.

5 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Would require a whole different animation rig. Be a lot of work for just one frame.

Same could be said of Wisp with her custom animations, or Equinox with their dual forms, Nidus and Gauss with their transformations, Octavia with her own entire music generator, it's more work sure but DE has never shied away from something fresh and fun for the game just because it'd take some extra effort. I believe Steve said so himself a short while after it was revealed Wisp was getting a custom animation that a long time they'd actually want a kind of animorph frame but because of technical limitations at the time weren't able to pursue the idea, but then also said that recent explorations into expanding animation options for frames may have opened a door for that kind of concept going forward. 

Frankly I'd be all for a full transformation frame into something more alien, and would love to see the kind of animations that would come from it.

2 hours ago, Qmiras said:

Something like a druid class for Warframe? A tank/dps/healer frame depending on stance like khora's furry buddy...but of course more active.

Stealth kavat, big tanky kubrow and a ferocious Pobber as dps

I used to play druid in WoW and I love the versatility.

They've talked about doing it before, but it would take a hell of a lot of work because of how the modeling and animation works.

5 hours ago, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

😐

Sun Wukong, the Monkey King, keeper of the Heavenly Horses, Great Sage Heaven's Equal, Victorious Fighting Buddha, would like to have a word with you. 

1 hour ago, Cubewano said:

Same could be said of Wisp with her custom animations, or Equinox with their dual forms, Nidus and Gauss with their transformations, Octavia with her own entire music generator, it's more work sure but DE has never shied away from something fresh and fun for the game just because it'd take some extra effort. I believe Steve said so himself a short while after it was revealed Wisp was getting a custom animation that a long time they'd actually want a kind of animorph frame but because of technical limitations at the time weren't able to pursue the idea, but then also said that recent explorations into expanding animation options for frames may have opened a door for that kind of concept going forward. 

Frankly I'd be all for a full transformation frame into something more alien, and would love to see the kind of animations that would come from it.

That’s not the same. That’s new animations applied to an already existing rig. What OP wants would require a whole new rig with different proportions and joint movement.

34 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

That’s not the same. That’s new animations applied to an already existing rig. What OP wants would require a whole new rig with different proportions and joint movement.

I don't think so, Warframes do not have an animistic builds or the proportions that'd be need to fit such so they'd absolutely need custom rigging. You aren't turning a frame into like a dog and keeping the same rigging as Warframes. 

wait...wasn't zanuka is a mix mush frame mix together that was partly is from warframe but isn't a frame does that count as non-humanoid frame?

40 minutes ago, (NSW)zook-pl said:

That's the point, non human rigs already exist in game. MOA, orbs, zanuka, infested.

He meant was non-humanoid that is warframe, not the enemies which spoiler alert in warframe lore

Spoiler

Moa was made by corpus and not made out warframe, Zanuka is probably something close to warframe because if I remember correctly Zanuka is made of out of part a bits of frames install into them, the infested is the thing that made the warframes due of thanks to ballas' research he made umbra excal as the evident that leads to making a warframe and other prototype that is made by the orokin.  In other words the warframe suits are use to be people.

2 hours ago, ChaoticEdge said:

He meant was non-humanoid that is warframe, not the enemies which spoiler alert in warframe lore

I don't talk about MOA-frame. I talk about non human frame with can use MOA or zanuka rigs.

Biggest NO against no humanoid frames is time and effort to make new rigs, but this rigs already exist in game.

Yeah, unfortunately... DE would really like to do a non-humanoid frame, but have you seen Wisp?

That frame, they tried to do a new animation set for her movement, you know, running, walking jumping and so on... but they failed. A non-humanoid frame would need, at last count, over 1500 individual animations. It wouldn't be able to equip any of the other warframe's idle stances, or would need unique variations on them, and the whole project would basically tie up their animation department for months.

Think about it, there's 53 different Melee Stances alone, each with a minimum of three combos, each with a minimum of three individual animations, plus the more extreme ones that involve flips, twirls and movement.

Any non-humanoid frame would either have to be so extensively animated that it wouldn't be worth it, or they would need to spend most of their time humanoid and transform and only be able to perform very, very limited actions to prevent the animations from happening at all.

One that people pushed that might work is a frame themed on the half-human-half-something ideas, like an Arachne or similar. The reason being that you could take away the extra animations by forcing them into an Ability Weapon function, such as an Ability Rifle. Locking them out of Melee would remove hundreds of animations from the list already. It would lock them out of Archwing or Hover Boards, it would give them a very limited move set that they could specifically animate in the same way they did Wisp.

But, of course, you could also give it something as a bit of a bonus with a theme like 'arachne', because you could give them the ability to move at a faster sprinting speed, even while aiming and strafing, making that Rifle the most stable aiming function ever, but more than that, you could have her able to walk over and up geometry without Parkour. So anywhere a normal Warframe can cling or run, she can just walk up it. With, of course, players able to choose the camera style that suits them, whether it rotates with them to the new 'up and down' or doesn't so that their hud doesn't spin around all the time.

Still... Pipe dream.

I'm fairly sure it was even brought up in an interview, maybe the Mogamu one, when Steve was asked this, and he said pretty much the same thing; they use a specific skeleton for all Warframes, and that allows them to just adjust the animations for each frame a little to account for differences in physical size.

6 hours ago, (NSW)zook-pl said:

I don't talk about MOA-frame. I talk about non human frame with can use MOA or zanuka rigs.

Biggest NO against no humanoid frames is time and effort to make new rigs, but this rigs already exist in game.

I know I am putting a statement pointing out this guy "Want non-humanoid" frame, stating that there are but saying they aren't frames which partially.  To come to think about it wouldn't the Kohra's pet would consider as Non-humanoid frames?🤔