Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr or Wukong?

EL3kTr1C

So I posted a thread not too long enough comparing Mesa/Saryn and got plenty of helpful replies, so here I am again 😛

A lil' background this time - I've been running Inaros/Volt with melee builds as my go-to choices for most of my playtime, and while I certainly love playing them (something about playing a tanky melee character just clicks with me) I guess I just want to freshen things up a bit. I was still farming for Saryn when I realized I have picked up all components for Valkyr Prime just from randoms pubs, and while I could complete her I can also trade for a Wukong Prime. Both Valkyr and Wukong seem like good dedicated melee frames, so lets start there. 

I'm a little less clear on this one since both of them seem to be, as previously mentioned, dedicated melee frames with plenty of survivability/tankiness. The only real differences I can see between them are that Valkyr seems better for teamplay given her buff from 2 and cc potential, as well as being better at raw survivability considering the damage immunity and lifesteal from her 4 whereas Wukong seems better at solo-play(?) with his 1 along with being more mobile with his 2. Then again, Valkyr has Ripline while Wukong has damage immunity of his own, plus I'm unsure as to which abilities/stats to focus on when modding either of them so there's that. As before, any general tips on how to play/build these frames (and which one to get first) would be appreciated.

Also, just feel like putting this out there - I'll eventually get both frames (along with their regular versions) anyway for mastery xp so no need to get too much into which one is better or worse, I'm just interested in hearing some ideas/opinions about what each frame does and what kind of role/playstyle they are suitable for.

When the Wukong rework hit, my Valkyr fell out of favor pretty quick. I generally never used her much to begin with and even after all her tweaks, I still ran a ghetto hysteria warcry build that my team barely benefited from. Wukong just has a lot more killing power and range in comparison I feel, and when built right, just won't go down. 

• Like 1

Right now, Wukong "feels" better to play. Just a smoother and more engaging ability/combat loop.

I like the idea of Valkyr a lot, though. It's just that she mostly only has her 4, and her 4 itself is kinda buggy and locks you into animations, etc. Her 2 and 3 feel very passive - you don't get a lot of feedback that they're doing anything spectacular. If her 1 were more robust, maybe people would use it to Spiderman around more instead of occasionally remembering it exists to troll your own teammates with.

54 minutes ago, EL3kTr1C said:

So I posted a thread not too long enough comparing Mesa/Saryn and got plenty of helpful replies, so here I am again 😛

Also, just feel like putting this out there - I'll eventually get both frames (along with their regular versions) anyway for mastery xp so no need to get too much into which one is better or worse, I'm just interested in hearing some ideas/opinions about what each frame does and what kind of role/playstyle they are suitable for.

Wukong, you will not regret getting him, setup right, he is the most over powered melee warframe in the game right now.

Valkyr simply does not die.
She has a built-in finisher that, with some luck, can carry you out to 5hour+ solo.
With the new melee system it's even better.

Wukong is undoubtedly one of the best frames in the game right now. His 2 allows him to speed through content. He gets free revives allowing you to "die" and then figure out it's too dangerous to continue in the endless mission you're on and press 2 to fly away. His 4 allows him to throw out 50k+ damage per hit for a more optimized build or 1mil+ red crits for an equally effective if a little less optimized. There is no stopping his damage output and there is no killing him in any practical use of the game right now.

Energy leech will still be detrimental but more so in Valkyr's case than Wukong's.

=======

Another dedicated melee frame is Excalibur.

Between the three of them I like Excalibur's style the best.
I like Valkyr's concept the best.
But I play Wukong because neither Excalibur nor Valkyr can hold a candle to what Wukong can do. His 4 just hits too easily too fast and too hard for Valkyr's claws or Excalibur's blade to compete.

Currently Wukong is a more effective frame - though i wouldn't say its a pure melee oriented one, your clone will just use your free weapon and assist (giving it a status range weapon while you go ham with a CO melee is extremely powerful), it is also not much of a team fame - the typical build suggested would be strength , some duration and negative to neutral range. i have never had to worry about his survivability (due to his cloudwalker) in most of the content upto sortie level and a little beyond.his exalted weapon is also significantly better due to its range and CC potential.

Valkyr is lacking just a bit - but if its pure melee there are few frames that can be better than her, highest base armor , armor buffing ability and damage immunity. the exalted damage is good but the poor range kinda causes it to be less used. Their builds are not significantly different to be honest,

So between the two , wukong is definitely better.

For other tanky frames you may refer my handy ranking of tanking,

1 hour ago, EL3kTr1C said:

A lil' background this time - I've been running Inaros/Volt with melee builds as my go-to choices for most of my playtime, and while I certainly love playing them (something about playing a tanky melee character just clicks with me) I guess I just want to freshen things up a bit. I was still farming for Saryn when I realized I have picked up all components for Valkyr Prime just from randoms pubs, and while I could complete her I can also trade for a Wukong Prime. Both Valkyr and Wukong seem like good dedicated melee frames, so lets start there. 

I'm a little less clear on this one since both of them seem to be, as previously mentioned, dedicated melee frames with plenty of survivability/tankiness. The only real differences I can see between them are that Valkyr seems better for teamplay given her buff from 2 and cc potential, as well as being better at raw survivability considering the damage immunity and lifesteal from her 4 whereas Wukong seems better at solo-play(?) with his 1 along with being more mobile with his 2. Then again, Valkyr has Ripline while Wukong has damage immunity of his own, plus I'm unsure as to which abilities/stats to focus on when modding either of them so there's that. As before, any general tips on how to play/build these frames (and which one to get first) would be appreciated.

Valkyr is superior in DPS and survivability, but is less fun. Build her for power str, duration,adaptation, and armor with maybe some hp for an Eternal War build and use either a great sword or pole arm with primed reach and maybe a riven to get higher damage and longer range than wukong's staff, throw on one of the 10 different ways to heal your warframe and you'll never die pre level 300s.

Both valkyr and Wukong can hit into the 10s and 100s of millions with proper CO red crit buids, but Valkyr has an attack speed buff. The high damage per hit doesn't become relevant until post level 300 anyway, in which Wukong's survival become noticeably harder to maintain compared to an efficient Hysteria oriented Valkyr, but at that point Wukong's range becomes more of a plus since valkyr's claws are short range.