The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE - No solo play with railjack launch

EmberStar

I am extremely disappointed, but not at all surprised, that there will be no support for solo players in the initial Railjack release.  But at least now I know in advance that for me, the system will be a complete waste of time and that I should not waste any more time or resources on it.  Given how long it takes DE to "revisit" and "improve" content, I'd assume solo support *might* be added in two or three years.

I will probably pick up Ivara Prime when she comes out.  After that, I guess I'll probably go play something else for a while.  I'm sure "co-op only" won't be a problem for some people.  I'm pretty sure it will be seen as a major benefit by some.  But I don't know anyone who plays Warframe, and I have no interest in trying to play Railjack with random strangers.  Since it sounds like the next update at least (and possibly the next couple of them) won't include any content I can use, maybe this is a good time to take a break.

• Like 8

1) Make content that can be solo'd in a multiplayer game.

2) Make content that challenges a team and works best when cooperating in a multiplayer game.

Pick one.

At some point, solo players will get the short end of the stick in order to create engaging content. If something can be solo'd with ease, then it's trivial in a group instead of being challenging for a group.

• Like 10

Just now, JackHargreav said:

Didn't see the dev stream is this true?

Yes and No. They said the earlier tiers can be soloable, but that the later tiers due to raw difficulty will pretty much require a team, at least in the original release. Assumedly, solo options (assuming the earlier tiers are not worth running) will be added later on.

• Like 1

To be honest is been a while since I've been so disappointed about the choices they are making with the game. Such a low blow the Co-Op only RailJack. 
L.E. Well, more reasons to be hyped about the Season of Dawn.

Edited by Void-Gunslinger
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Didn't see the dev stream is this true?

They said it's gonna be harder is all because OBVIOUSLY one guy can't control all the turrets at once and can't put out fires while flying and can't support themselves with the railjack abilities when outside it. 

Edit: Crew will be an additional thing at a later date though.

Edited by BansheePrime
  • Like 3

I'll believe this more when we get it. They claim later tiers will be difficult for solo, but we've seen how "difficult" content has been in the past. What's difficult for the devs doesn't mean difficult for the people that actually play the game. Not including dev builds, being carried in streams, god mode or using other dev hacks.

Edited by --Brandt--

1 minute ago, HealingMind said:

Yes and No. They said the earlier tiers can be soloable, but that the later tiers due to raw difficulty will pretty much require a team, at least in the original release. Assumedly, solo options (assuming the earlier tiers are not worth running) will be added later on.

They said solo players won't be locked out.  And that if you completely understand the systems and have a well outfitted ship, the easy missions are *possible* to solo.  But it's just something they're not choosing to prevent, rather than a gameplay mode they're actually going to support.

7 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

1) Make content that can be solo'd in a multiplayer game.

2) Make content that challenges a team and works best when cooperating in a multiplayer game.

Pick one.

At some point, solo players will get the short end of the stick in order to create engaging content. If something can be solo'd with ease, then it's trivial in a group instead of being challenging for a group.

The two modes don't have to be mutually exclusive.  Other games have scaling difficulty (sometimes even with user selection) that can provide challenging content for groups *and* for solo players.  Not that it matters in this case.  The devs aren't targeting me specifically (and honestly have no reason to care what I think at all, ever.)  But the end result is that it sounds like Empyrean will be non-content for me.  The way I prefer to play isn't supported, and the way that will be required to do it isn't something I even slightly enjoy.

Just now, EmberStar said:

The two modes don't have to be mutually exclusive.  Other games have scaling difficulty (sometimes even with user selection) that can provide challenging content for groups *and* for solo players.  Not that it matters in this case.  The devs aren't targeting me specifically (and honestly have no reason to care what I think at all, ever.)  But the end result is that it sounds like Empyrean will be non-content for me.  The way I prefer to play isn't supported, and the way that will be required to do it isn't something I even slightly enjoy.

There are things you can't just address with a higher base difficulty that is likely only to affect damage values, enemy numbers, and enemy aggressiveness. Designing a game mode in which you need to be doing multiple things at once in different places is something that can't be addressed with scaling difficulty even if you have AI helping with some of those tasks.

• Like 1

While there are missions in the railjack, aren't the missions more like zones/areas you can explore, and space ships pop up once in a while? Sort of a semi-open world kinda deal?

Atleast that's what I thought. I mean, can I still hop into my railjack while SOLO, go into space and fly around while breaking stuff and harvesting materials without having to complete missions and whatnot? If yes, I don't mind this at all. If not... railjack will be just like archwing. Fun for the first few times, boring and annoying after that, ends up in dust.

Edit: Haven't watched devstream yet

Edited by devildevil21

Wow such misinformation, DE is not making this Co-op only, Solo will still be an option, only thing is that they aren't bring in AI teammates yet, so playing Solo in higher level missions will be hard, they do plan on bringing AI teammates, but not at launch of Railjack. Seriously people, if  your  gonna get upset about something at least present all the facts instead of leaving stuff out

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BansheePrime said:

They said it's gonna be harder is all because OBVIOUSLY one guy can't control all the turrets at once and can't put out fires while flying and can't support themselves with the railjack abilities when outside it. 

Edit: Crew will be an additional thing at a later date though.

I guess that's ok. But what about liches i wonder.

The real problem with Warframes Coop part is the atrocious and outdated Peer2Peer connetion systems.

I fully understand that they had to start with it, since they couldnt afford servers but now, after the huge success WF is, they still use that garbage system.

For me this is the biggest point that prevents me from enjoying the coop part and i am totally disappointed, that they dont migrate to a server system and dont even provide the solo part of Empyrean at launch.

• Like 2

I see something happened and as per usual the sky is falling.

I'll decide for myself if this is soloable or not.

If it just requires too many simultanious activities I'm fairly certain game developers today have just enough faith in their playerbase to make the tasks fairly challenging for an ape, so my team mates can cope.

Edited by Ver1dian
  • Like 1

Just now, RAZORLIGHT said:

The real problem with Warframes Coop part is the atrocious and outdated Peer2Peer connetion systems.

I fully understand that they had to start with it, since they couldnt afford servers but now, after the huge success WF is, they still use that garbage system.

For me this is the biggest point that prevents me from enjoying the coop part and i am totally disappointed, that they dont migrate to a server system and dont even provide the solo part of Empyrean at launch.

1. Solo is available

2. With Empyrean you can literally choose to be host or not, yea sure its not dedicated servers, but its definitely better than what we have now

Actually, whatever. If I'd want to play spaceships I play Elite Dangerous or smth. Not interested in that game play at all. I'm pretty sure many players will feel same way too. I think DE made a huge mistake with Railjack. That is not Warframe.

Alright, just gonna add to the comment I said before (just watched the part on the devstream where they talked about that):

-> DE said that to balance railjack they had to draw a line on the sand. Railjack is a multi-crew spaceship and as such, will be scaled to co-op. BUT, you can do EVERY mission solo if you want. The thing is, it's scaled to co op, and according to DE Steve, this will make railjack misisons' really difficult for solo players. You can try to solo them, but it isn't easy, and what DE Steve said was that you can solo up till tier 1 at the beginning, and when you start getting good, maybe you can do the higher level missions and succeed while solo, but DE will keep releasin' railjack missions, each more difficult than the previous one, meaning it'll reach a point where you have to go with a squad to do the mission, just like you have to team up to do long survival runs or farming toroids or killing your kuva lich when the lich is lvl 5 and tankier than a planet.

TL;DR: You can play solo, but since railjack content is scaled to co-op, you'll have trouble completing the mission while solo. It's doable, and the more skilled you are the higher the chances of being able to solo. I repeat, you CAN SOLO EVERY MISSION of railjack, but you might NOT SUCCEED in completing every single one of them while playing solo.

Edited by devildevil21