Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack - What is the Forward Artillery for?

(PSN)Ozymandias-13-

Question

I keep hearing people say it's for crew ships, but that just doesn't make sense to me (constant bug causing zero damage aside).

- it has a long wind up time. 

-Crazy screen shake that makes aiming hard unless super close.

-Extremely limited ammo.

- Requires pilot assistance to keep the ship in the right direction. 

- Comes AFTER the 2 Slingshot skills that have much more wiggle room for aiming, and Slingshot can't miss...

I'm not saying it's useless,  but I have not found it to be better in any way compared to Slingshot. What am I missing? 

(Also, I don't see why it doesn't have the same lock on mechanic as Slingshot even if you have to still charge it fully to fire)

Edited by (PS4)Ozymandias-13-

you're not saying it's useless, but i am.
it's useless.
and it's not even about the Damage, as making it faster and cheaper to shoot Crew Ships with Artillery than to board it would make Digital Extremes unhappy - it's more of a mechanical thing. it's useless because it lacks having any purpose to exist currently.

that being said we did basically get a 'Railjack v0.2' in a sense, with like 10% of the actual content. it has no purpose right now, but maybe it has some use in the future, idk.

and it's not even a cool Weapon, it's just a lame momentary Laser. where's a giant Cannon or a Tactical Nuke or some other way cooler Superweapon.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 4

This is probably one more aspect of railjack that will be looked at and reworked. Most of this is very much testing the water and getting feedback. I could see it getting a massive damage buff for what it is, does and requires. Keep ramp up, no lock and screen shake, but make it one shot crew ships in Veil.

when were first introduced to this weapon, it was used to be the final blow to a capital ship. In its current state that isn’t even remotely possible.

Edited by (PS4)Kamranos

Hopefully there will be more use for it in the future.

You can destroy crewships with it, if pilot and gunner work well together, it's quicker than boarding.

You can also destroy outriders when they don't have orbs left and still have regen. I recommend using ordnance to avoid this situation, but it's a nice backup.

Hitting the engines with that thing because the pilot breathed in the general direction of their controls or the ship's disabled engine came back online and it moved at the last second really shouldn't count as, functionally, a miss.  Hitting the crew ship with the artillery at all should count - especially since the engines are about half of the damned thing 😉

I use it, though in the veil proxima you need a 160%+ rhino roar for it to one shot crewships and it doesn't always do that even.  On saturn and earth though it basically always 1 shots the crewships though.  I usually don't use it for anything else though outside bugged outriders that won't die to conventional weaponry.  

45 minutes ago, taiiat said:

you're not saying it's useless, but i am.
it's useless.
and it's not even about the Damage, as making it faster and cheaper to shoot Crew Ships with Artillery than to board it would make Digital Extremes unhappy - it's more of a mechanical thing. it's useless because it lacks having any purpose to exist currently.

Couldn't agree more. Forward Artillery requires resources - Dome charges (max 4). Requires mods (zetki forward artillery for ~90% extra damage) to be viable passed saturn. Why use any of this when you can just sling shot, for free, and do the exact same thing a forward artillery gun does?!

Poorly thought out, poorly executed. Forward artillery should one shot crew ships, no matter the level of content. DE already scales the content by making you fight more of them. Zetki forward artillery avionic should raise your dome charge max and/or reduce the charge time on your forward artillery.

The benefit is speed. When a crewship is shot, it explodes only a few seconds later instead of the 25/30 seconds after a reactor is destroyed. That said, the fact that a crewship engine, those stupid buggy Veil Crewship bubbles and a tiny little 1 man attack craft (that just decided to fly in-front of you for no reason) can completely block and negate a giant fkn space laser is so dumb.

I enjoy using it just to remove a crewship instantly, works good if you manage to get 2 within view because that takes out both in as little as 10 seconds. My main strife, outside of the blocked shots, is that a rhino is required for it to be viable on any Veil node

Edited by More-L
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skaleek said:

Couldn't agree more. Forward Artillery requires resources - Dome charges (max 4). Requires mods (zetki forward artillery for ~90% extra damage) to be viable passed saturn. Why use any of this when you can just sling shot, for free, and do the exact same thing a forward artillery gun does?!

i'm not going to expect it to DELET Crew Ships - and in a way even if it did, what purpose does it serve, still? it's a bit faster to remove the Ships but is that really the only purpose it is to offer then? that doesn't sound like much of a purpose.

i don't want to have Objectives/Enemies that can only be dealt with via Artillery, requiring things to be used always feels bad - but there doesn't feel like there's any mechanical incentive to ever use it on anything anyways, except when Bugs happen.
maybe it's the anti-Bug Weapon, for now. idk. we'll have to wait and see once Railjack is much closer to completed.

1 hour ago, GOEATSOMEFUSHM8 said:

One negative point (of many i'm sure) is the level of bloom the artillery causes when fired. i play with only 10% bloom and it's still too much. plus when fired it seems to effect every player on a railjack regardless of position, I.e in the forge area or up by archwing slingshot.

it's probably Dynamic Exposure doing it anyways, most of the VFX sins in Warframe are all the fault of Dynamic Exposure always going way too far into both extremes whenever anything happens. it's always way too aggressive and every update that is supposed to make it less extreme seems to do nothing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i'm not going to expect it to DELET Crew Ships - and in a way even if it did, what purpose does it serve, still? it's a bit faster to remove the Ships but is that really the only purpose it is to offer then? that doesn't sound like much of a purpose.

Big guns for big targets. I expect it to delete enemy frigates and any bigger targets. Even then it would barely be useful. I would use it if im soloing and dont want to leave my RJ, even then i dunno.... Maybe they made slingshot too powerful.

3 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

Big guns for big targets. I expect it to delete enemy frigates and any bigger targets. Even then it would barely be useful. I would use it if im soloing and dont want to leave my RJ, even then i dunno.... Maybe they made slingshot too powerful.

see i think that's the thing, the Playerbase pretty much agreed on the 'space combat should be like Frigates are the smallest Enemy we fight, and go up from there' - but atm in Railjack we're still fighting mostly Trash Enemies anyways.

if in the future Railjack gets there and we are actually fighting larger Enemies, then perhaps Artillery would be useful for nuking Weakpoints, or things of that sort. we'll just have to wait, i guess.

i still want a Gauss Rifle and Thermobaric/Nuclear Weapons and 'supermines' and whatever else as alternative Artillery Weapons anyways though - having something actually cool to use would help with the problem too.

Edited by taiiat

3 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i still want a Gauss Rifle and Thermobaric/Nuclear Weapons and 'supermines' and whatever else as alternative Artillery Weapons anyways though - having something actually cool to use would help with the problem too.

Yeah being able to change out/slot our heavy gun would be cool.

5 hours ago, Teliko_Freedman said:

translation: needs Punchthrough, Crewships be blocking with their engines.

It definitely needs punch through, also to prevent other little ships from blocking it last second. 

The odds of too many ships lining up are small, so it should have infinite punch through within firing range. 

It's useful on Earth, where it can oneshot the crewships, thereby being a faster and safer, but more expensive option.

It loses that once you reach Saturn and is more or less only useful for outriders under the effects of the heal pulse bug in the Veil... provided you don't have the Tycho Seeker equipped, and provided you can actually HIT the tiny hitbox since apparently hitting an outrider's nacelles counts as a miss.

36 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

It's useful on Earth, where it can oneshot the crewships, thereby being a faster and safer, but more expensive option.

It loses that once you reach Saturn and is more or less only useful for outriders under the effects of the heal pulse bug in the Veil... provided you don't have the Tycho Seeker equipped, and provided you can actually HIT the tiny hitbox since apparently hitting an outrider's nacelles counts as a miss.

Having something that requires rank 5 intrinsic stop being useful after the first planet is bad. Lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

Having something that requires rank 5 intrinsic stop being useful after the first planet is bad. Lol

Oh, without a shadow of a doubt.nMind you, I hold this opinion having already Avionic'd a bit of extra damage into my Artillery!

Yeah, it looks cool enough but it is absolutely not enough to make it worth using.

• Like 1

When you blow up a crewship reactor from the inside, if you then leave the crewship and shoot its 3 engines out and shoot its main body you can blow up the crewship instead of waiting for the slow reactor timer to tick down. Helps cut down on the crewship getting free bombardments off and you get to pick up the loot right away.

Just like the forward artillery, it doesn't seem to work if you shoot out its engines before blowing up the reactor. Not many people seem to be aware that you can do this.