Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove "Friendship Doors"

Above

MR is a really bad indicator of player's ability, so I wouldn't want to rely on it too much for team matching: I found MR4 players that have an MR28 account on a different platform and play awesomely well, and I also found MR28 players who play really really bad.

But yes, remove friendship doors except before boss fights

14 hours ago, ShortCat said:

As a response, this answer is all that's needed.

Works real good except it does not address the part that you forgot to quote:

15 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

OP, you are forgetting that new players don't always know where to go next. Even the markers get borked on a regular basis. If they're following reasonably close behind, we are also showing them which way to go. Having us pause along the way to let them catch up isn't a bad thing. 

8 hours ago, 844448 said:

the doors are from an era where bullet jump didn't exist and you have to bear with it until DE rework the place.

Parkour 2.0 was added in Update 17 in 2015. DE removed friendship doors from Railjack missions quite swiftly after the launch of Empyrean. This has nothing to do with reworking tile sets. It's an intentional design choice to leave them in the game for this long.

If removing them from Railjack makes that part of the game better, then removing them from the entire game will too.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Voltage said:

Parkour 2.0 was added in Update 17 in 2015. DE removed friendship doors from Railjack missions within a few days of Empyrean launching. DE has purposefully left the clunky door in the game and only removed them from Railjack to try and make the mode better. If removing them from Railjack makes that part of the game better, then removing them from the entire game will too.

I can't say but I have a hunch seeing threads from those speed junkies complaining their teammates are slowpokes and they should have instant individual extraction even on non endless mission because they can't wait for a second if DE remove the door

I can't help but feel that all those against removing "friendship doors" have yet to reach the point where they're grinding the same thing over and over and over again and the last thing you'd want is...waste everyone's time. Also fun when people are stuck and can't reach "friendship doors". A fast runner will always be a fast runner and a hurdle like this ain't gonna change anything it just makes them say "hi" to whoever 2nd reaches the door.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

OP, you are forgetting that new players don't always know where to go next. Even the markers get borked on a regular basis. If they're following reasonably close behind, we are also showing them which way to go. Having us pause along the way to let them catch up isn't a bad thing. 

Same answer as before, after a friendship door the poor guy will be left behind on the first 10 meters.

58 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

You know that you can see teammates, if they're reasonably close right? You don't need to be right on their heels to benefit, but you do need reasonable degree of proximity. 

Wouldn't a better solution simply be to reward an objective completion bonus similar to Spy missions? That way every players gets a benefit regardless of where they are. You would still lose shared affinity, but as I previously noted, that is almost insignificant and would be more than offset by the objective completion bonus. Friendship doors are a very dated method to keep players together, especially in a fast paced game like Warframe.

Here's something I just noticed!

Who here likes playing Void or Derelict missions? I like them! Does anyone have any complaints about team mates in Void/Derelict missions? Didn't think so...

Spoiler

By the way, neither Void nor Derelict tilesets have any friendship doors. None that I can recall anyway... Ever seen an Orokin friendship door? I sure haven't.

Just now, IceColdHawk said:

I can't even count on one finger on how many times these doors have had any meaningful use.

Telling the players that aren't as fast or prepared as you, that you're ready to move along.

Being that it's a cooperative game, they're not designed to work perfect for people who are trying to speed run the mission as though they're in solo. In cooperative situations, people tend to go, "Oh, sorry, on my way," and hustle to catch up. That's as meaningful a use as it needs to have, and it does that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

Telling the players that aren't as fast or prepared as you, that you're ready to move along.

Being that it's a cooperative game, they're not designed to work perfect for people who are trying to speed run the mission as though they're in solo. In cooperative situations, people tend to go, "Oh, sorry, on my way," and hustle to catch up. That's as meaningful a use as it needs to have, and it does that.

Which never seems to be a problem in Void or Derelict missions, right?

That's what I was noting. I see the intent of Friendship Doors... but I never recall experiencing the problem they attempt to solve on tilesets where they don't exist in the first place.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

What if people would like to investigate the map, open lockers or look for something where as someone else would like to continue but cannot due to these doors? The waiter will be annoyed and the investigaters will either be cold and sturdy or they gonna feel guilt and the need to rush through just to open that door.

Disgusting.

• Like 1

On 2020-02-21 at 9:57 PM, IIDMOII said:

Yet another prime example of why new/starchart players shouldn't be in the same matchmaking pool.

By the time a player is geared, knowledgeable and ready to que up with everyone else, they should have been taught all they need to know. Thus making friendship doors pointless.

I don't think it's remotely fair to ask veteran players to intentionally equip weak loadouts or alter their 7 year playstyle to humour some new guys. 

Eeuw, elitist remark eeuw... god man, what a horrible response... WTF!?

I remember when i started veterans actually really cared and tried to help and teach new-comers, i was gifted a warframe slot on my third day by a vet. None of this "i dont want to play with newbies cuz they slow me down, ir leet"nonsense

Punish me again if u like forum  mods but this A****** should be banned what a prick you are IIDMOII... Man, you must be sufferin IRL if you're this toxic on here, holy #*!%, whats wrong with helping new guys in a game where everything can only be found thru google or peer experience!> Man you are a selfish $&*^!

Just now, IceColdHawk said:

Disgusting.

Give your amygdala a break, it's just a game.

Fun fact, when the game has lots of fun rooms to explore and loot to farm, it may be, "disgusting," to others that you're in a such a big darn hurry.
Those doors exist for you to have a courtesy button to remind them, "you're not the only one here."

They may need to be nudged in the direction of a faster game play, as much as players who are trying to lone-wolf need to be nudged in the direction of, "hey, it's not just about you.. but if you want that, that game mode exists... because Solo has no 2man doors."

Whatever. You're well primed to fight this fight, because, "it's disgusting." So might as well just set me to ignore and move on with your life.

because Solo has no 2man doors

Funny because wrong. Solo has them as well. Not as annoying as when with others but it's still a 2 second stop.

Whatever. You're well primed to fight this fight, because, "it's disgusting." So might as well just set me to ignore and move on with your life.

I'm just expressing my honest feelings on that ancient mechanic that somehow still hasn't been improved/removed. No need to focus so much on a single word i've said.

Edited by IceColdHawk
  • Like 1

On 2020-02-21 at 8:33 PM, Godzilla853 said:

If a player goes afk and a friendship door needs 2 people it will open if you activate it because the other person is AFK.

Only after the other player is detected to be AFK, which takes 60 seconds, which is also like 2/3 of the length of your average rescue mission. So it's literally faster to leave, start and finish the next mission than waiting for a player to be detected as afk so you can open the doors.

Truth of the matter is they fail at their job, because new players might catch up through them, but they'll be left behind immediately after they open the doors. They only have the negative effect of breaking the rhythm of the game, and literally no positives.

Edited by ReaverKane

9 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

Give your amygdala a break, it's just a game.

Fun fact, when the game has lots of fun rooms to explore and loot to farm, it may be, "disgusting," to others that you're in a such a big darn hurry.
Those doors exist for you to have a courtesy button to remind them, "you're not the only one here."

They may need to be nudged in the direction of a faster game play, as much as players who are trying to lone-wolf need to be nudged in the direction of, "hey, it's not just about you.. but if you want that, that game mode exists... because Solo has no 2man doors."

If someone is exploring and taking it slow, the door being removed still doesn't affect them because they aren't keeping up anyway. If anything, it detracts from the explorer to go out of their way to help the "lone wolf" (the one actually focusing on the objective/extraction) open the door. So this door objectively breaks the flow for all parties involved and thus there is no counter argument as to why they are a horrible design.

Nobody needs to be nudged anywhere. Slow players are slow and fast players are fast. The existence of the friendship door will never, ever change that, and there is no "courtesy" with the existence of this mechanic. It's a gameplay hindrance that is beyond obsolete.

Edited by Voltage

3 minutes ago, Voltage said:

If someone is exploring and taking it slow, the door being removed still doesn't affect them because they aren't keeping up anyway. If anything, it detracts from the explorer to go out of their way to help the "lone wolf" (the one actually focusing on the objective/extraction) open the door. So this door objectively breaks the flow for all parties involved and thus there is no counter argument as to why they are a horrible design.

Nobody needs to be nudged anywhere. Slow players are slow and fast players are fast. The existence of the friendship door will never, ever change that, and there is no "courtesy" with the existence of this mechanic.

Many times I have seen sortie missions fail because one or two volt wall-slammers wanted to go super fast but then be overwhelmed at the prison locks because they were alone and they died before rescueing the prisoner....

edit: which then also died

Edited by Crasharr

Just now, Crasharr said:

Many times I have seen sortie missions fail because one or two volt wall-slammers wanted to go super fast but then be overwhelmed at the prison locks because they were alone and they died before rescueing the prisoner....

And how exactly will a friendship door solve this? Seems like mission failures are due to a lack of being prepared and not being great at the game. A door doesn't help this.