The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forum Reactions Simplified

[DE]Drew

If you see as a free perspective this nerf of reactions was unnecessary but if you see above this might be a good change. The reason behind this if you cannot express your opinion you with emotes you are forced to do it with words.

I personally would just remove the reputation and up/down votes at all. Because many peoples just tend to check the title or comment on the last comments and not read whole threads about opinion and many just gives you up or down vote for not explaining why. This change alone won't save the forum moderators from bad threads and memes but at least if you have some idea on a topic you can comment or quote the ones what you feels fit to your point of view.

My other theory why the emoticons were removed is the actual feedback and dev workshop topics were bombed with negative "emotions" and some of the devs felt annoyed by the players opinions. 

16 hours ago, [DE]Drew said:

Fair point. To avoid abuse, we'll simply have the 'Like' reaction. Any disagreement or contention should be discussed in a post. 

I disagree.

Having an instant way to show that I disagree is something that increases participation and value to the post.

I could (and have) explained why I disagree, but a simple negative emoji would have done this just fine, saved my time and shown you out of the (currently) 129 replies and 2,981 views, how many disagree with this change.
You can't have word clouds everywhere.  Or tell me you'll actually read every reply on this (and other) threads or even expect *everyone else* to go through 129 replies to see how many disliked your change / post and how many agreed.

Took me 2mins or 5 mins to reply, which I certainly won't be doing every time I disagree, which would have taken me 2 seconds to react with an emoji.

This change does not feel like a good one. The variety of reactions gave an idea, no matter how vague, of how people actually regarded a post when they felt that they had nothing to add.

If you're going to take away every other reaction type other than "Like" without a "Dislike", then just rip out the entire works and be done with it or just get rid of the "reputation" system altogether.

Personally, the proposed purpose behind this change - to "encourage people to use their words" - doesn't feel sincere. DE has shown that people giving feedback, using their words instead of emoticons, doesn't accomplish much unless the player-base gets so rowdy outside sources pick up on it (ex: selling Prime Accessory packs separate from Prime Warframe pack Unvaults; players asked for this for years but DE refused to budge until Jim Sterling wagged his finger in disapproval). Questions don't get answered, bugs don't get fixed regardless of how many times they are reported (ex: drone pathing that made Plague Star a 50/50 gamble to be able to complete, forcing players to pick specific frames), terrible design choices still get pushed through (ex: UI labels off by default, "i" - ABOUT), abuses of power don't get addressed (GotL). What players say seems to hold little weight until a crisis point.

Perhaps I'm being hyperbolic - it's emojis who cares, etc. - but in terms of a greater trend, this doesn't sit right for the reasons listed above.

I have also noticed, due to this change, "popular" posts are now no longer popular - since so many forum users use the "applause" or "upvote" reactions versus the "like" reaction, the "status" of a post on a thread has been utterly wiped away.

This may be an unintentional side-effect of the change, but it looks like a muzzling of the forum, since a post being "popular" was a half-decent measure of group reaction to something overall.

Everyone is welcome to suggest one, but DE is never going to add a downvote/dislike button. It has no place here and it never did. DE screwed up by adding two ghetto dislike buttons to begin with.

If you have the time or energy, make a post voicing your opinion or feedback.

Positive or negative, just keep it constructive and respectful--no matter who you are addressing.

If you can't or don't want to do that (for any reason), read the thread and find someone who articulates how you feel, then like that post. This is more constructive, valuable, and useful than a downvote/dislike. There are stretches of weeks and months where I don't post and that's what I do. Suppose this why I'm mostly indifferent. 

Now we just need to hide member reputation totals within discussion threads.

8 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

I didn’t know that Haha was the new dislike 😕. I thought someone would appreciate the laugh for their funny post, since there didn’t seem to be any notice of it at all

You're not wrong. The laughing face used to be used to laugh at actually funny posts. That's how I used it. That's how most people used it.

Folks used the red shock face ("woah", which should have been spelled "whoa", but that's another argument) as the dislike from the moment it was included with the new reactions years ago. Shock/confused face must've been removed (I have no clue when), then folks defaulted to using the laughing face as a dislike button, I gather.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Maunstre said:

I have also noticed, due to this change, "popular" posts are now no longer popular - since so many forum users use the "applause" or "upvote" reactions versus the "like" reaction, the "status" of a post on a thread has been utterly wiped away.

This may be an unintentional side-effect of the change, but it looks like a muzzling of the forum, since a post being "popular" was a half-decent measure of group reaction to something overall.

I think all the reactions were converted to "like". One of  my olders posts that had a "laugh" now has a "like"

4 hours ago, HolySeraphin said:

I think all the reactions were converted to "like". One of  my olders posts that had a "laugh" now has a "like"

That is not the case that I am seeing in my post history. I had several posts that originally had reaction counts that were quite high, and with this new change their reactions have been tanked to <10. In particular, I had a UI critique thread that had 100+ in reactions prior to this "streamlining", that now only has 10 "likes".

14 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

Everyone is welcome to suggest one, but DE is never going to add a downvote/dislike button. It has no place here and it never did. DE screwed up by adding two ghetto dislike buttons to begin with.

If you have the time or energy, make a post voicing your opinion or feedback.

Positive or negative, just keep it constructive and respectful--no matter who you are addressing.

If you can't or don't want to do that (for any reason), read the thread and find someone who articulates how you feel, then like that post. This is more constructive, valuable, and useful than a downvote/dislike. There are stretches of weeks and months where I don't post and that's what I do. Suppose this why I'm mostly indifferent. 

Now we just need to hide member reputation totals within discussion threads.

You're not wrong. The laughing face used to be used to laugh at actually funny posts. That's how I used it. That's how most people used it.

Folks used the red shock face ("woah", which should have been spelled "whoa", but that's another argument) as the dislike from the moment it was included with the new reactions years ago. Shock/confused face must've been removed (I have no clue when), then folks defaulted to using the laughing face as a dislike button, I gather.

👎

On 2020-03-06 at 5:41 AM, Aldain said:

Let the forums burn I say.

If you needed a little yellow haha to show you don't agree with something then surely you can explain WHY you don't agree with it right?

Or are we just supposed to infer the exact reason why somebody doesn't agree with something from vague non-answers and emojis?

Does ANYONE know how to actually talk anymore or is it just acronyms and images now?

We can use the flames for popcorn. 

But yeah, digital interaction is slowly devolving into that Star Trek episode, where the alien species only communicated in social references. 

21 hours ago, Sziklamester said:

If you see as a free perspective this nerf of reactions was unnecessary but if you see above this might be a good change. The reason behind this if you cannot express your opinion you with emotes you are forced to do it with words.

I personally would just remove the reputation and up/down votes at all. Because many peoples just tend to check the title or comment on the last comments and not read whole threads about opinion and many just gives you up or down vote for not explaining why. This change alone won't save the forum moderators from bad threads and memes but at least if you have some idea on a topic you can comment or quote the ones what you feels fit to your point of view.

My other theory why the emoticons were removed is the actual feedback and dev workshop topics were bombed with negative "emotions" and some of the devs felt annoyed by the players opinions. 

ryan gosling clap GIF

last night I logged on just after the dinner hour and there were less than 100 ppl in my recruiting chat. I had to set my ping to no limit and even then only got 1 full squad in an hour of fissure runs..    Fissure runs..

Every update for the last 6 months, including railjack, has been an utter disappointment to the vast majority of the community.

It is what it is.

13 hours ago, (PS4)BlightDragon89 said:

Not sure why you think the game is doing badly. I have been playing for years now and enjoy most changes, improvements and updates.

ok you like direction in which game go great for you but you are in 20% player base other 80% don't like it or quitting game fact 

1 hour ago, (PS4)hirprirode said:

ok you like direction in which game go great for you but you are in 20% player base other 80% don't like it or quitting game fact 

You can consider me part of that “accurate”(?) 20% too.

Edit: turns out it was opinion.

On 2020-03-07 at 6:21 AM, IronHair said:

I disagree.

Having an instant way to show that I disagree is something that increases participation and value to the post.

I could (and have) explained why I disagree, but a simple negative emoji would have done this just fine, saved my time and shown you out of the (currently) 129 replies and 2,981 views, how many disagree with this change.
You can't have word clouds everywhere.  Or tell me you'll actually read every reply on this (and other) threads or even expect *everyone else* to go through 129 replies to see how many disliked your change / post and how many agreed.

Took me 2mins or 5 mins to reply, which I certainly won't be doing every time I disagree, which would have taken me 2 seconds to react with an emoji.

I like this post. I half-agree with it and half don’t-agree with it, and believe I can understand overall where the poster is coming from. Such complexity of thought is something I can’t find in a little image, much less ones that can be misinterpreted.

As a fellow forum-goer, thanks for taking that 2 - 5 minutes to say what’s on your mind. It’s given me food for thought 🍻

14 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

You can consider me part of that “accurate”(?) 20% too.

I like this post. I half-agree with it and half don’t-agree with it, and believe I can understand overall where the poster is coming from. Such complexity of thought is something I can’t find in a little image, much less ones that can be misinterpreted.

As a fellow forum-goer, thanks for taking that 2 - 5 minutes to say what’s on your mind. It’s given me food for thought 🍻

you playing on nsw so i understand that for you is great you still have a lot stuff to do in game sure that for you will be great but why on other platforms warframe losing that much players if everyone or majority like new updates ??? fact 

25 minutes ago, (PS4)hirprirode said:

you playing on nsw so i understand that for you is great you still have a lot stuff to do in game sure that for you will be great but why on other platforms warframe losing that much players if everyone or majority like new updates ??? fact 

I think we gotta take this into private.

Archived