Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A name change shouldn't cost so much.

Caliboom

Seriously, I'm kind of angry because I have to pay so much plat for a simple name change, even though I want to do it for serious reasons. I suggest that it should be free, and that one of these limitations should be there to prevent abuse:

1. You can only change your username once per month, in order to prevent people from changing their username too often.

2. You have to contact support in order to do it, and give them a valid reason.

Even though I doubt DE will read this, I don't really like the idea of having to pay so much just to change my username.

Databases are not that simple, one error and every query will explode and to avoid the often problem there is this paywall.

And for a one time change I think the price is alright, I changed mine in 2016 and still use this one

• Like 5

This is common in games though. 200p isn't that difficult to get anyways. I've paid to change my name and I would pay again if I wanted to change my name to something else. It's not that big of a deal.

Let's use World of Warcraft for example, they charge $10 for a name change.

Black Desert Online is 1000 pearls which is basically $10 also.

How is 200p different? If you have a plat discount since you're a PC player, it would be cheaper than other games.

I suggest that you contact DE with a sincere request to change your name without charging you plat, explaining the serious reason for it.

It doesn't hurt to ask. They are pretty fair and if there is a serious reason for it I believe they might hear you out.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Caliboom said:

Ah, yes. Waste support team's time by asking them to change your name, while also wasting your time by waiting half a month for them to even acknowledge that you made a ticket. This is a terrible idea on several levels. 

The price is entirely fine, almost entirely negligible honestly. 200 platinum is maybe an hour's worth of farming for a few mods or prime parts, and another hour of searching for trades. Or maybe just a single riven mod in about fifteen minutes with 300% the profit. 

7 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

Well, if by "serious reason" you mean "someone made fun of my name", you're in bad luck.

Now if your name was "42069_no_scope_xXx666_overlord" you'd probably have better chances.

his "serious reasons" is probably just because he wants to and thought if he added that "serious reasons" to it, they would be more likely to do it.

Edited by Magicfingers
forgot the s's on reason

17 minutes ago, Caliboom said:

Seriously, I'm kind of angry because I have to pay so much plat for a simple name change, even though I want to do it for serious reasons. I suggest that it should be free, and that one of these limitations should be there to prevent abuse:

1. You can only change your username once per month, in order to prevent people from changing their username too often.

Even though I doubt DE will read this, I don't really like the idea of having to pay so much just to change my username.

when i was making this account my nickanme was ZeroZX4 because ZeroX4 was taken
200 plat was not a problem for me since in all games my nick name is ZeroX4 (i sent ticket to support turns out nickname was occupied but not in use and i could take it)

now i want to change my clan icon/emblem or whatever its called it cost 200 or 150 plat but im doing it from over like 1 year already
and i just realized i dont really care i got 25k plat so its like nothing to me but in the end my case proves that only ppl who really are determined to change
something about their account wont have problem paying for it
and this prevents ppl from changing nicknames too often
think about it

3 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

Well, if by "serious reason" you mean "someone made fun of my name", you're in bad luck.

Now if your name was "42069_no_scope_xXx666_overlord" you'd probably have better chances.

What lunatic would want to lose such a cool name? I'd pay 200 plat to be called 42069_no_scope_xXx_overlord.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

Why do you need to change your name?

Make s good name to begin with.

There sometimes are reasons to. This is my second account as I lost my email that my first account was tied to due to a breach so I just started over, after a couple years I sent a ticket if it was possible for the name on my first account to be released as it was inactive and never being used, and they did, so I switched this account name to it.

Either way, changing names are rarely even free, most games charge anywhere from 10 to 25$ USD for name changes, or they don't allow a name change at all other than if your name is inappropriate, and even then, they'll change the name to what ever they want and you're stuck with it.

At least on Warframe plat can be farmed for free, many other games, you have no choice but to spend money yourself.

5 hours ago, (NSW)Badger said:

Do accounts ever get deleted after years and years of no play?

From the TOS:

Your Account may be deactivated if you do not use your Account within twelve months after the date that it was created or for any continuous period of twelve months after creation. If you do not use your Account for twelve or more months, it may be removed and deleted by the Website administrator at their sole discretion. We will endeavor to use reasonable efforts to notify you by e-mail before we delete your Account, unless we are deleting your User ID for a violation of these terms or discontinuation of the Service.

Edited by MystMan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yamazuki said:

There sometimes are reasons to. This is my second account as I lost my email that my first account was tied to due to a breach so I just started over, after a couple years I sent a ticket if it was possible for the name on my first account to be released as it was inactive and never being used, and they did, so I switched this account name to it.

Either way, changing names are rarely even free, most games charge anywhere from 10 to 25$ USD for name changes, or they don't allow a name change at all other than if your name is inappropriate, and even then, they'll change the name to what ever they want and you're stuck with it.

At least on Warframe plat can be farmed for free, many other games, you have no choice but to spend money yourself.

Why not just get your old account back clearly whoever breached it has abandoned it.

I don't personally see the point in name changing your account.

In wow if someone reports a character name.  Gms can force a player to rename their toon at no cost.

But yea alot depends on the game.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

Why not just get your old account back clearly whoever breached it has abandoned it.

I don't personally see the point in name changing your account.

In wow if someone reports a character name.  Gms can force a player to rename their toon at no cost.

But yea alot depends on the game.

My Warframe account wasn't taken, just the email, which would have been needed to log into the game due to having a new Windows install at the time.

Names to inactive accounts being released isn't really all that uncommon, and since I never invested money into my old account I wasn't really missing out on much and knew I had a pretty high chance of getting my original name either way.

Claiming unused desired names is a pretty common reason to change a name, and overtime for people that don't use the same name for everything just lose interest in their name after a while. It just depends on the individual, in games I rarely change my name, but that's because I am in the group that's had the same name for over 10 years.

6 hours ago, Caliboom said:

vx9z0FT.gif

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MystMan said:

From the TOS:

Your Account may be deactivated if you do not use your Account within twelve months after the date that it was created or for any continuous period of twelve months after creation. If you do not use your Account for twelve or more months, it may be removed and deleted by the Website administrator at their sole discretion. We will endeavor to use reasonable efforts to notify you by e-mail before we delete your Account, unless we are deleting your User ID for a violation of these terms or discontinuation of the Service.

Thanks. I probably should read that thing but I just have too much stuff to grind, lol.