Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cool Weapons That Should Exist (But Don't)

Xarvathron

It seems that a lot of the recently-released weapons have bizarre mechanics tacked on to them, just to make them feel 'different'. The Nagantaka has punchthrough but only when Garuda carries it? The Acceltra reloads faster when you're running? The Battacor has a secondary fire that charges up when you kill stuff? And the Komorex is so weird, I wouldn't build it even if I had the materials.

DE isn't 'out' of weapon concepts. There are a ton of good ones left un-implemented:

Where are the grenades? I'd like to have grenades as a secondary weapon. The Corpus and Grineer even toss traditional hand grenades at us - so the devices already exist in lore! Why are there not a dozen different weapons mechanically similar to Pox? I would like some hand grenades that bounce around corners, in Grineer, and Corpus, and Infested styles. I would like hand grenades that act like land mines, and explode themselves automatically. I would like hand grenades that can be remotely detonated in midair, and proximity-airburst hand grenades that explode in mid-air on their own if they get close to an enemy. I would like sticky grenades that adhere to targets. I would like grenades that inflict damage-over-time, and grenades for area denial. I would like grenades that release a rapid-fire chain of explosions, with high status chance.

I would also enjoy single-shot secondary grenade launchers. They too, could shoot sticky grenades, or airbursting grenades, or bouncy grenades, or the traditional ones that explode on impact.

Warframe has some interesting and crazy guns, so multi-shot grenade launchers wouldn't seem out of place.

Where is the Corpus version of the Soma? Where is their crit-build automatic plasma cannon that can saw a spaceship in half? I would like a Hyperblaster-style weapon reminescent of Quake 2/4.

Where are the slow-firing automatic weapons that do high damage per shot? Specifically, where is the Corpus version of it? Warframe could use a weapon analogous to Unreal Tournament's shock rifle.

Rocket launchers are radically under-represented in Warframe too. I have read good things about the Ogris, but what about airbursting rockets that explode on command? What about high-velocity rockets that streak across the battlefield with the speed of a Lanka projectile? We have a good rapid-fire micro-missile gun in the form of the Acceltra, but where are the Grineer, Corpus, and Infested versions of rapid-fire micro-missile launchers?

There are only 3 staff-type weapons in Warframe. Which is a shame, because they're a very cool concept. Nothing about Warframe is (or needs to be) realistic, so why don't we see more staff weapons? Why not make warframe's next machinegun come in the form of a neat staff weapon? It doesn't need any special gimmick to differentiate itself from the bazillion other machineguns in the game. People might enjoy a staff-shaped bullet emitter, and I might very well be one of them.

The Sonicor and Gammacor are undeniably cool weapons, because they're mounted to the warframe, rather than simply being held in the hand. We could use a lot more guns like this. I would pay platinum to turn my favorite kitgun (the gaze) into an arm-mounted techno-themed destruction emitter.

We could use more gunblades too. I am not a fan of the Stropha's firing sound, and I would prefer a corpus-themed electric gunblade with a narrow beam, long range, and high status chance. 

Slow firing charge-weapons are also under-represented in the game.  I main an Opticor & Opticor Vandal, to the point that I don't ever forsee entering a mission without one. The Opticors are just that much FUN to me - no other weapon comes close to matching their fun per second (the only stat worth min-maxing). Between the beam visuals, the gun model, the charging noises, and the satisfying 'CRACK' that enemies make when they explode, it's an immaculate weapon in every way. Opticors are my favorite weapons in any shooter...ever! I would like to see dozens of weapons that operate in the same way.

26 minutes ago, Mediloric said:

Agreed. I am still holding out hope for a Kuva Javlok. oooft. 

Personally tried Scourge + Zymos and the headshot carnage that followed was fun. Shame the duration is not longer (i mean you're already handycapped yourself by being stationed to use the feature, no reason the duration cant be longer), and the headshots not as consistent.

I mean.. make it do S#&$ty damage, go ahead. But make it a catalyst so players can trigger arcanes, maybe augment mods, or just features through secondary fire and make it interesting.

But most spearguns already have interesting features, couldn't hurt to have more interesting ones like one that blows enemy away from it like the requiem monoliths for example.

"Power" weapons.  

As in, for example a weapon that has the visual effect of wreathing your hands in an elemental vfx, and its m1 is to hurl elemental balls, alt fire for an elemental lobbed bomb.   A different one that fires beams with an alt fire that calls a pillar from above.   Another that projects an ignis-like cone effect,  alt fire to create a stationary DoT mine.

Kind of like how in Skyrim to use magic you equip the spell and use it the same way you use any other weapon.

Power weapons would be excellent for reinforcing player theme in playing caster frames where you don't want to rely on weapons,  it IS a weapon, but thematically it feels more like an extension of your warframe's abilities. 

Like Cantrips in d&d,  at-will  damage option equivalent to normal weapons.  Because functionally it IS a weapon, just power themed.

Rocket weapons.

Warframe in generally has a serious lack of rockets and missiles.   Rocket barrages, dumbfire rockets,  seeking missiles,  targeted missiles.   Tons of fun to be had with rockets and/or missiles.   (Rockets tend to be dumb, missiles tend to be smart, the distinction is otherwise somewhat superficial).

Spear/Lance weapons.

Weapons that have high reach but they all focus on long forward thrusting attacks with two main stances, one that relies of rapid attacks and one that relies on powerful singular attacks.  You might even double down on that and distinguish them as Spears vs Lances.    Spears could focus on Status and rapid hits while Lances focus on crit and heavy attacks. Both could also have combos that provide a lot of forward movement if holding forward.

High damage potential but without a lot of ability to sweep whole areas,  being focused in a "Line" in front of you, and some cool aerial tricks / jump attacks.

16 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

"Power" weapons.  

As in, for example a weapon that has the visual effect of wreathing your hands in an elemental vfx, and its m1 is to hurl elemental balls, alt fire for an elemental lobbed bomb.   A different one that fires beams with an alt fire that calls a pillar from above.   Another that projects an ignis-like cone effect,  alt fire to create a stationary DoT mine.

Kind of like how in Skyrim to use magic you equip the spell and use it the same way you use any other weapon.

Power weapons would be excellent for reinforcing player theme in playing caster frames where you don't want to rely on weapons,  it IS a weapon, but thematically it feels more like an extension of your warframe's abilities. 

Like Cantrips in d&d,  at-will  damage option equivalent to normal weapons.  Because functionally it IS a weapon, just power themed.

Just about every "power" you suggested instantly reminded me of Sienna and her different staffs in Vermintide 1&2.

Spoiler

I like it.

The Ferrox even generates a black-hole-style effect with its secondary fire, doesn't it? That could slurp up an entire school of fish in one shot! That would definitely violate some fish and game ordinance. (so bring Loki & do it while invisible!)

For that matter, how about some strong CC secondaries? I'd like an Amprex pistol for stunning an entire platoon with electric procs. I don't need it to do any damage, I'm just going to swap to an Opticor for those explosively glorious BFG-laser killshots. (Speed Holster forever!)

On 2020-09-15 at 5:14 AM, Xarvathron said:

We could use more gunblades too. I am not a fan of the Stropha's firing sound, and

100% yes. We have 2... 2.5 different gunblades. Stropha is for CQC and Sarpa/Redeemer for longer distance. 0.5 is because redeemer is a shotgun and sarpa is a burts, however after one update each shotgun's pellet can proc.
We can have:
- slow firerate/movement & long distance.
- slow firerate, fast movement (it would basically teleport and slowly shoot)
- double gunblades, DOUBLE FREAKING GUNBLADES... imagine "dancing" with your 2 Sarpas... I feel like Ruby entering the Academy.

I would prefer a corpus-themed electric gunblade with a narrow beam, long range, and high status chance. 

Like gunblade + light saber? Interesting.

I want a Zorg ZF-1

and no, the Buzlok does Not qualify - the guidance mechanic is completely different.

Buzlok is: fire tracker dart, then normal bullets home on it

ZF-1 is: fire normal bullets, activate 'replay' and any subsequent bullets home in on the last hit.

notice how ZF-1 leads with Normal shots that are completely valid sources of damage on their own; it doesn't have the delay of setup time with a tracker. Much smoother operation.

22 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

I want a Zorg ZF-1

and no, the Buzlok does Not qualify - the guidance mechanic is completely different.

Buzlok is: fire tracker dart, then normal bullets home on it

ZF-1 is: fire normal bullets, activate 'replay' and any subsequent bullets home in on the last hit.

notice how ZF-1 leads with Normal shots that are completely valid sources of damage on their own; it doesn't have the delay of setup time with a tracker. Much smoother operation.

Working the ZF-1 into Warframe means you basically want a Truxton beam.

Look it up.

On 2020-09-15 at 11:33 PM, Kingsmount said:

"Power" weapons.  

Rocket weapons.

Warframe in generally has a serious lack of rockets and missiles.   Rocket barrages, dumbfire rockets,  seeking missiles,  targeted missiles.   Tons of fun to be had with rockets and/or missiles.   (Rockets tend to be dumb, missiles tend to be smart, the distinction is otherwise somewhat superficial).

Spear/Lance weapons.

Weapons that have high reach but they all focus on long forward thrusting attacks with two main stances, one that relies of rapid attacks and one that relies on powerful singular attacks.  You might even double down on that and distinguish them as Spears vs Lances.    Spears could focus on Status and rapid hits while Lances focus on crit and heavy attacks. Both could also have combos that provide a lot of forward movement if holding forward.

High damage potential but without a lot of ability to sweep whole areas,  being focused in a "Line" in front of you, and some cool aerial tricks / jump attacks.

Just added: 

Spear/Lance weapons.

On 2020-09-14 at 11:14 PM, Xarvathron said:

Why not make warframe's next machinegun come in the form of a neat staff weapon? It doesn't need any special gimmick to differentiate itself from the bazillion other machineguns in the game.

Alternatively its gimmick could be simple. All spearguns have a throw mechanic just make it anchor in place and empty out its magazine in 360 firing pattern. You're right it doesn't need one but cheap little alt fires are almost as numerous as the concepts they've left untouched.

38 minutes ago, Fenrir121 said:
On 2020-09-15 at 5:14 AM, Xarvathron said:

Alternatively its gimmick could be simple. All spearguns have a throw mechanic just make it anchor in place and empty out its magazine in 360 firing pattern. You're right it doesn't need one but cheap little alt fires are almost as numerous as the concepts they've left untouched.

Azima? Well, it works nice with Protea.

3 hours ago, Fenrir121 said:
3 hours ago, quxier said:

I'm aware of Azima. It was just a simple suggestion.

Well, you can go with another type of ammo. For example slower but with wider range (mini rocket). I bet there are many way to make it fun.

• 3 weeks later...

If a three section staff does come it'll be a while, it would need new animations to implement properly.

As for the grenades, only if I can have them as an alternative for a melee weapon. Hell, I'd shut up about wanting them to add back impact explosion on glaives. Probably give them somewhere between 5-30 ammo (depending on the grenade, cluster grenades should have only 5 to prevent a repeat of Bramma) and have them use melee mods with their own unique ammo mutation mods.

Archived