Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Eros Ephemera

AreeSoothsayer

On 2021-01-29 at 11:53 AM, Jarriaga said:

I actually want for all ephemera to be compatible with pets. The "step" Ephemera in particular so my cats leave a trace of flames/energy/lightning when they walk.

That would be literally the only way I'd ever use a step type. I hate them. I want to see my cosmetic.

I'm definitely using the wings, though. Can't wait to see my operator wear them in the creepy infested suit from the....second? nightwave.

On 2021-01-30 at 8:48 AM, (PSN)DidacoJack said:

Like, I remember when I was playing PSO2 with my cool guardian of the galaxy in his tech-armor, just to pan the camera 90° degrees to my left to see an half naked loli with huge breasts and spread wings on top of it...

I gotta disagree.  Maybe in a game like PSO2 it would have been something kinda meh to me, but with how warframe works and how the community is, and considering how operators are (it's cannon that they're obsessed with weapons, murder and being shiny af while doing it.) I like the aesthetic of a squad with a black and red super edgelord Loki, a bright pink fairy winged rhino, a classy and majestically colored Saryn, and completely stock low MR Volt hitting a Grineer galleon together.  The utter ridiculousness of it fits with the universe.  

I have a Nezha look loadout colored like Sailor Moon and I'm putting those wings on it and you can't stop me.  If I could do the wings and the Corpus skirt I 100% would.  

As for artistic direction...  I know they said they didn't really like that they added it, but Nova has what amounts to a stewardess uniform as a skin.  One of Excal's deluxe skins looks like it's straight out of Monster Hunter.  The art direction is all over the place and it's one of my favorite things about this game.  My Vauban looks like a Steampunk automaton, my Baruuk looks like he belongs in the Dune universe, my Volt looks like he could be in Robotech, and my Mesa is straight out of Star Wars.  There's armor pieces that look like Samurai armor.  Wings doesn't mean Korean MMO.  

1 hour ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

but with how warframe works and how the community is, and considering how operators are (it's cannon that they're obsessed with weapons, murder and being shiny af while doing it.) I like the aesthetic of a squad with a black and red super edgelord Loki, a bright pink fairy winged rhino, a classy and majestically colored Saryn, and completely stock low MR Volt hitting a Grineer galleon together.  The utter ridiculousness of it fits with the universe.  

I have a Nezha look loadout colored like Sailor Moon and I'm putting those wings on it and you can't stop me.  If I could do the wings and the Corpus skirt I 100% would.

That Loki would be fitting the universe of Warframe. Warframes ARE edgy, "by nature", I would say.

Saryn fits too. Ballas wanted warframes to be slender and elegant or whatever adjectives are used in that codex text I don't remember anymore.

Nothing to say about Volt either, stock-look is literally what a non prime frame is intended to look like.

...but there's a reason why pink Rhinos are known to be funny and "for the memes". Because they don't fit the universe at all, and whoever chooses to dress their Rhino like that knows it all too well.

As for artistic direction...  I know they said they didn't really like that they added it, but Nova has what amounts to a stewardess uniform as a skin.  One of Excal's deluxe skins looks like it's straight out of Monster Hunter.  The art direction is all over the place and it's one of my favorite things about this game.  My Vauban looks like a Steampunk automaton, my Baruuk looks like he belongs in the Dune universe, my Volt looks like he could be in Robotech, and my Mesa is straight out of Star Wars.  There's armor pieces that look like Samurai armor.  Wings doesn't mean Korean MMO.  

Excal Zato looks like a samurai, because the game's motto is (or was) "Ninjas play free"; warframe ARE ninjas. History and folklore wise, there's not much distance between ninja and samurai. Or at least in pop-culture, I know ninjas were nothing like we imagine them today. Same goes for the armor you mention, it's literally called "Edo" for a reason.

All those examples fit the game's art direction. They reference real life concepts keeping the game's reinterpretation.

On the other hand, those Valentine's day angel wings look like angel wings for the sake of looking like angel wings.

I gotta disagree.  Maybe in a game like PSO2 it would have been something kinda meh to me

Nah, I'm pretty sure you would've liked it. Especially after reading that you want to make Nezha look like a specific 14yo japanese girl. With wings.

It's ONE set of wings, y'all, for a holiday. It's just like the Spinneret Ephemera. I think they just want to start making more permanent rewards for holidays.

DE: "Here's a set of angel wings for Valentines Day!"

Some of the WF Community: "Is this the end of Warframe?"

21 hours ago, (PSN)DidacoJack said:

there's a reason why pink Rhinos are known to be funny and "for the memes". Because they don't fit the universe at all

Wukong has clown shoes.  Corpus board members dress like depressed jesters.  We literally fight and kill a game show host that we can only face off against after appearing on said game show.  We actually appear in two game shows.  Ol Sarge literally makes fun of how we fashion ourselves.  We have an actual Jester frame.  Tenno collect stuffed animals as rewards for capturing dangerous animals.  We collect action figures of the things we kill.  According to Cephalon Cordylon we get charged credits for using our own foundries because tenno are so obsessed with warfare that they would neglect basic necessities if left unsupervised and yet we're still obsessed with toys.  A bright pink Rhino with fairy wings fits this universe just fine.

Am 29.1.2021 um 20:30 schrieb devildevil21:

If you stay quiet for a few moments you can hear millions of player benching all their ephemeras to solely use this ephemera (I know I am!)

And suddenly you realize that in a 3rd person shooter, wings can get in the way :D

7 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

Wukong has clown shoes.  Corpus board members dress like depressed jesters.  We literally fight and kill a game show host that we can only face off against after appearing on said game show.  We actually appear in two game shows.  Ol Sarge literally makes fun of how we fashion ourselves.  We have an actual Jester frame.  Tenno collect stuffed animals as rewards for capturing dangerous animals.  We collect action figures of the things we kill.  According to Cephalon Cordylon we get charged credits for using our own foundries because tenno are so obsessed with warfare that they would neglect basic necessities if left unsupervised and yet we're still obsessed with toys.  A bright pink Rhino with fairy wings fits this universe just fine.

Corpus and Grineer have their own folklore, the way they dress and their tv shows are part of that.

Sarge making fun of us is just an example of Grineer having their own culture and finding our way to dress weird. Happens in real life too, I don't see why an imaginary world should be any different. You, yourself, just did it by calling "clown shoes" what is actually modeled after irl chinese traditional footwear, just google "chinese upturned shoes", there are examples that are much more extravagant than what Wukong wears in this game.

Orokins are fans of the lost and bygone human folklore, a jester is just as valid as a ninja, provided they are re-interpreted in warframe's art logic (which they are).

Pink Rhinos fit Warframe universe just as much as giving Lepus headgear to Fortuna dwellers and replacing We Lift Together with Caramelldansen. It just doesn't and you know it, otherwise you wouldn't have picked it as an example (and btw, wings fit Rhino probably more than any other frame, since he's modeled after a rhino beetle, which has wings).

On 2021-01-29 at 2:30 PM, devildevil21 said:

If you stay quiet for a few moments you can hear millions of player benching all their ephemeras to solely use this ephemera (I know I am!)

Millions play WF? I know there are millions of registered [L]users but I didn't figure there are still millions of people that still even play. 

14 hours ago, (PSN)DidacoJack said:

Corpus and Grineer have their own folklore, the way they dress and their tv shows are part of that.

The tenno have their own folklore and it involves bright pink color patterns, fairy wings, stuffed animals, action figures, and war crimes.  You went out of your way to ignore that stuffed animals are a popular part of the universe (and I don't even care about them and don't like conservation.) and you're using some [primed reach] for several of your arguments, especially the one where you ignore that we have a Jester frame with that super flimsy hand waiving you did with the "Orokin something or other.  Doesn't count."

We have play masks for warframes from Cetus, and because it's Mother's Mask and not the Lotus' Mask we very clearly have canonical mommy issues.  There's a whole lot of evidence pointing toward "deranged children-but-not-children with gaudy fashion sense committing genocide" and not a lot of evidence pointing toward "All the tenno took their frame's appearance super serial."

14 hours ago, (PSN)DidacoJack said:

It just doesn't and you know it

See, I was having fun with our discussion, but I utterly despise people doing this crap.  I don't know it and your insinuation that my arguments aren't valid because I must see your point because it's clearly the only right one is arrogant and annoying.  I genuinely believe that absolutely outlandish attire fits the universe we're in very well.  That includes those rabbit ears.

Even in real life, bright, flamboyant, completely-hideous-to-a-modern-perspective fashion was popular for combatants.  Landsknechts wore bright, billowy, ridiculous clothing into battle because it was the fashion that they liked.  Childish behavior from the youth that fight wars in real life, like historical photos of soldiers from even "the greatest generation" holding a weapon between their legs like it's their genitalia with a giant grin on their face all point to the idea that no one stuffy person gets to say "Everyone should take on a serious aesthetic to what they're wearing into combat, because I don't think wearing 'memes' into combat is realistic."  Even though it absolutely is.  

The idea that a heavily traumatized ageless child that has been forced to fight for probably hundreds of years and has faced the absolute grim reality of this universe not having a sense of humor about what they wear to raid a galleon is far more unrealistic to me than a bright pink Rhino with fairy wings.

On 2021-01-29 at 10:37 PM, Hypernaut1 said:

🤢🤮🤮🤮.

Not looking forward to seeing wings everywhere. At least I don't have to stay in lobbies or in the relay like in other MMOs. 

Would be cool on sentinels though

Dw people will be hyped for it awhile, then u will slowly not see it again.

16 hours ago, (XBOX)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

Millions play WF? I know there are millions of registered [L]users but I didn't figure there are still millions of people that still even play. 

There isnt millions people playing, max peak is 50k

43 minutes ago, Enthyal said:

Dw people will be hyped for it awhile, then u will slowly not see it again.

I hope so. It has that eerie feel of a "jump the shark" moment for WF. 

Not saying the game will die because of wings, but it just feels like a jinx to me. I can see the death of Warframe looking like a Korean MMO in it's last days in its desperate last ditch attempt to attract players. 

I do hope you're right though. 

11 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

The tenno have their own folklore and it involves bright pink color patterns, fairy wings, stuffed animals, action figures, and war crimes.  You went out of your way to ignore that stuffed animals are a popular part of the universe (and I don't even care about them and don't like conservation.)

I didn't ignore your stuffed animals argument because it's uncomfortable for me to reply to, it's just that I genuinely don't understand why you brought up the hyperbole of tenno "being obsessed with toys" (tbh, the kid sitting in my orbiter couldn't care less) in a discussion about art direction coherence and eventual derails.

Those toys are collectibles, on the same level of importance as easter eggs, is there really the need to explain in which way the fit the universe of the game, given the importance they have (none, from any possible point of view)? And if there was such need, they'd still fit.

and you're using some [primed reach] for several of your arguments, especially the one where you ignore that we have a Jester frame with that super flimsy hand waiving you did with the "Orokin something or other.  Doesn't count."

We have play masks for warframes from Cetus, and because it's Mother's Mask and not the Lotus' Mask we very clearly have canonical mommy issues.  There's a whole lot of evidence pointing toward "deranged children-but-not-children with gaudy fashion sense committing genocide" and not a lot of evidence pointing toward "All the tenno took their frame's appearance super serial."

So, my argument about how the game makes use of lore quibbles to repropose irl concept in the game is a use of "super flimsy hand waving" and Primed Reach, but the argument of "tenno missing their parents -> tenno being traumatized -> tenno develop humor, so much they fight in bright pink, purposefully ridiculous armors -> therefore Sailor Moon fits the universe" is perfectly logic and by no means a stretch?

See, I was having fun with our discussion, but I utterly despise people doing this crap.  I don't know it and your insinuation that my arguments aren't valid because I must see your point because it's clearly the only right one is arrogant and annoying.  I genuinely believe that absolutely outlandish attire fits the universe we're in very well.  That includes those rabbit ears.

I'm sorry if my choice of words has been inappropriate, no sarcasm, no other hostile sentiment intended, really.

But we are in a forum, and confronting the validity of arguments/opinions is the reason we are here in the first place.

Even in real life, bright, flamboyant, completely-hideous-to-a-modern-perspective fashion was popular for combatants.  Landsknechts wore bright, billowy, ridiculous clothing into battle because it was the fashion that they liked.  Childish behavior from the youth that fight wars in real life, like historical photos of soldiers from even "the greatest generation" holding a weapon between their legs like it's their genitalia with a giant grin on their face all point to the idea that no one stuffy person gets to say "Everyone should take on a serious aesthetic to what they're wearing into combat, because I don't think wearing 'memes' into combat is realistic."  Even though it absolutely is.  

The idea that a heavily traumatized ageless child that has been forced to fight for probably hundreds of years and has faced the absolute grim reality of this universe not having a sense of humor about what they wear to raid a galleon is far more unrealistic to me than a bright pink Rhino with fairy wings.

It's curious you bring the Landsknechts up, as they are probably the best example to prove how pink Rhinos don't fit: they chose those attires to intentionally not fit the context they lived in, so much that laws needed to be changed in order for them to be allowed to wear such clothes. Also, they dressed in such way to boast their status and provoke the enemies, actions you can't fulfill if you fit in the context.

The fact that humans can take photos mimicking their genitalia with guns doesn't mean it's the normality to see it implemented in any entertainment product, be it videogames, movies, whatever. It's a case of " you could, but should you?".

I don't care about realism (would I even be playing this game if I did?), I care about art direction coherence.

I mean, Bungie could have modeled Master Chief to have a huge magnum sticking between his legs, you really think people would've thought " this is fine, it's a reference to those photos of soldiers from the greatest generation"?

People can call out something that doesn't fit, it's how our brain is wired, there's a reason why we have things like color theory.

Heck, people raised hell when it was revealed that Silente Dumbledore is gay, not because it's not a credible possibility but because it was seen as a forced unfitting addition (much like this pair of wings) aimed at attracting a wider audience rather than being a developed character trait.

EDIT: it's Dumbledore, dammit.

10 hours ago, (PSN)DidacoJack said:

It's curious you bring the Landsknechts up, as they are probably the best example to prove how pink Rhinos don't fit: they chose those attires to intentionally not fit the context they lived in, so much that laws needed to be changed in order for them to be allowed to wear such clothes. Also, they dressed in such way to boast their status and provoke the enemies, actions you can't fulfill if you fit in the context.

You're breaking your own argument here by trying to narrow it down to just one aspect of the example I gave.  You're saying "Because they chose to stand out and not fit in, that means that a pink Rhino doesn't fit in."  trying to make the argument that the not-fitting-in part is what's important, and they the Landsknechts not fitting in on purpose means that a flashy frame doesn't fit in universe.  Instead, the attitude of choosing to not look like the regular rank a file, the choice to be provoking (which fits a Rhino perfectly, I might add.) is the best example of how a ridiculous frame DOES fit, because the same sort of choices would most likely be made by Tenno who rebelled against the Orokin who made the frames look the way they do.  You're focusing on the fact that the Landsknechts didn't fit in, and trying to make that analogous to your point, when it's the attitude behind their actions that proves my point.

Coherent art direction means taking into account the individualism of the characters.  It doesn't mean everything looks the same.  We're not the Tenno Empire.  We don't have uniforms.  We're a loose coalition of what amounts to mercenaries that kind of do the greater good a few favors from time to time.  We're not all going to fit your vision for how things are supposed to look.  The point is moot though, because I have a dozen color palettes that are covered in a wide assortment of colors that I'm sure you'd roll your eyes at.  They're all in the game, just like the wings will be, and several other appearance choices for some of you to moan about.  

Most of my frames are actually done up in a style I'm sure you'd approve of.  It's literally just my Rhino that's bright pink with butterfly wings, and that's on the B loadout.  But just for the folks like you I'm about to make an eye-cancer look loadout for every single frame in the game and go run a bunch of fissures.  Have a great day!

Archived