Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mars open world Ideas.

Grizzmoe

Disclaimer: I understand that by this point most of you are tired of the open worlds. Yes I agree that the reputation farm is a pain and that most of the open worlds feel like content islands and that we still haven't gotten Duviri yet, this is just me spitballing an idea I think is cool.

Mars open world:

I'm going to cut right to the chase and try to keep it brief as possible. The Mars open world should just be a massive canyon with Grineer factories and bases built on the cliffs and into the canyon walls, I feel like this would be a more interesting environment than just a standard desert setting and it seems like it would be a fun opportunity to do more with K drive racing and even maybe add Archwing racing.

Grineer shouldn't be the only enemy type on the open world, it only makes sense that we world would have Grineer and infested occupied areas. As for the player aligned faction it would be interesting to see the "Sky worshipers" from the sands of inaros quest make an appearance, the only problem is that the grineer exterminated them, but perhaps there are a few survivors that made it off world and are looking to reclaim their home and so they recruit the Tenno to assist.

Finally, Fishing. So since mars is a desert setting with no water (That we've seen so far) I thought it would be interesting to do something different like Deimos did. I propose Sand worm fishing. the idea is that there will be discolored areas of sand where you can see somthing tunneling beneath the surface and you'll try to catch it with your fishing spear.

These are just a few ideas I came up with that I thought I would share.

Sure

I don't really see issues with the concept itself , 

I just feel the other open world's aren't quite fleshed out in some aspects yet (third orb , poes outdated mechanics etc.)

Sandworm fights as bosses would be interesting ... Maybe the worm is invulnerable from the outside , but a bit more vulnerable from the inside ? Eh ?

And we could have "sandstorm based" world state change , like day night , cold warm , fass come cycles.

But I do not see this happening any time soon , maybe next year ? Maybe they could tie the duviri paradox with it somehow ? 

2 hours ago, Harvenger76 said:

Disclaimer: I understand that by this point most of you are tired of the open worlds. Yes I agree that the reputation farm is a pain and that most of the open worlds feel like content islands and that we still haven't gotten Duviri yet, this is just me spitballing an idea I think is cool.

Eh, sometimes it can be fun to just throw an idea out, even if it's not incredibly relevant at the moment xD

I like the idea of Sandworm fishing, reminds me of how in Dune the larva stage of the big sandworms are called 'trout'.

To add a little bit, awhile back, I posted an idea for a Mars open world that centered around the leftover conflicts from Gradivus Dilemma, in which the Grineer and Corpus fight over this stretch of badlands between two cities: New Uxmal (from one of the Synthesis Lore Bits), garrisoned by the Grineer out in the dry canyons to the south, and the Corpus would occupy some kind of permafrost/glacial city to the north.
(Likely occurring between the Alator and Ultor Nodes)

The local 'Factions' would just be the particular sects of Grineer and Corpus dedicated to fighting over this region, and both would be willing to accept Tenno aid to get a leg up on the other side, so depending on which city you enter into the badlands from, you're given an IFF of that city's occupying faction, making you allied with their forces, and enemies of the others'.

:sun:During the Day, the Grineer and Corpus would skirmish over various flashpoints along the 'frontline', and bounties would be about helping one side to gain ground on the other.

:moon:During the Night, the Infestation would creep out of the dark crags and burrow out of the sand, accosting both sides. They would also get the big bosses, like Teralysts and Orb Mothers, likely giant worms akin to the siblings on Deimos.

The 'secret' faction, like the Quills or Vox, would be the remnants of the Martian 'Sky Worshipers'. They'd have a secret third town you'd find out in the middle of the badlands, and they'd have some kind of attachment to the Infestation, like perhaps some kind of preservation of them through the Infestation that Inaros purged.
(Though, that might step on the toes of the Entrati's design, which weren't a thing when I came up with this)

A possibility is they could give you limited bounties about using the Infestation to sabotage both Grineer and Corpus.

Anyway, just some food for thought, I hope all of that's an interesting read regardless xD

next one is obviously divuri, sentient based open zone (it's not open world). i think that will be 2022 roadmap/tennocon highlight. 

also they don't even know what to do with open zones after they are done with first few quests for it. deimos had no event after it's bounty updates, fortuna and plains atleast get some event or new players to do something. 

i hope they focus on expanding Railjack and taking us to different star  chart itself, for almost a decade we are only in one solar system.

2 hours ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

...I am suddenly feeling homesick for Destiny and fighting the Cabal on dusty Martian landscapes...

"Whether we wanted it or not, we've stepped into a war with the Cabal on Mars...."

I always imagined a Martian open world to be sort of like Warframe meets Mad Max; the map has sections of dunes and flat wastelands, and the Grineer there look a lot more disheveled and post-apocalyptic. (Ghouls were a good step in this direction, but these guys would all have sand-covered, dusty armor and weapons), and they would patrol the wastes in large, heavily armored vehicles. players could then fight enemies on these metal beasts and then hijack them. these wouldn't be trash vehicles either, they'd be extremely durable with multiple gun placements for your fellow squadmates; hijack one and you could roam around for ages fighting other vehicles and clearing out camps!

the hub world could be the last refuge of the sand people (classic "one or two escaped total extermination and are starting to rebuild" trope), but what makes them differ from the Ostrons is that they repurpose grineer technology to their own ends. would also be interesting if they still worshipped Inaros, and if you use him in the hub, they start kneeling and chanting at you in reverence lol. 

I just wanted to jump and and say that after learning more of the lore/backstory to mars in the game universe, it really bothers me that we don't ever see friendly NPCs anywhere outside of open world hubs and relays.  There should at least be evidence of the people in the solar system that we're allegedly trying to help outside of like 2 towns and an infested family.  I guess you could count the handful of people like the Myconians that you see in quests.  The universe feels so dead though.

And i got Star Wars vibes from this; podracing, Krayt dragons hunting for Sarlaccs.

What if the temple would be part of the open world map? It would look really nice, especially if this (and the one in the Inaros quest)would be remade into a gigantic Necropolis.

The sky worshippers could also be maybe reanimated, there could even be some ironic twist in the story that kept their bodies preserved. (this could reference Osiris f.ex.)

Several cultures had sky gods; Horus, Zeus, Tengri, and gods related to the sky; Quetzalcoatl (also related to gold, could be referenced for Orokin engineering, Chroma, etc. and as a god associated with vegetation and rains it could also explain the presence of a habitable Oasis-or something about Vome-Fass on Venus)

Serpents are also present in all of these cultures's mythology, so hunting these worms/serpents would also be something that could refer to these, DE loves references.

I'm not tired of open world's. I still love walking around Deimos it's honestly my favorite area in the game right how.

But I don't think your going to see an Open World on Mars. I think after Planes of Duvri, which is a "Corrupted" open world, the next one is very likely going to be a Sentient open world.

They'll likely have one for each enemy faction and if the playerbase wants additional open world spaces they'll likely do more.

But I think the next step forward isn't just another open world. I think it'll be the Tau system and leaving the Origin system.

I have nothing against the Landscapes (as DE calls their "Open world" sections). Geographically their best so far is Orb Vallis, aesthetically I like the Plains of Eidolon and the Cambrion Drift and the factions within have the best resource integration with the rest of the game and their faction rep mechanics are the best in the game. 

Saying all that, I do like the concept you have pitched, a large canyon with ancient populated sites put into the walls has a very nice feel to it. It would also give DE the chance to implement non-clone Grineer subjects as a friendly faction. Subjugated locals who are under the brutal regime of the Grineer Empire. A faction we have not seen, closest being the Ostrons. 
Personally, a map style I am most wanting to see is a cityscape. Either a grungy, steampunk-esque rundown factory city for the Grineer or a hightech cyberpunk sprawl of glass and bulkheads of the Corpus. 

There is also one other option: The Sentient Mother ship and Lotus. Seeing as Lotus/Natah is or still appears to be amicable for the people of the Origin system and her being hooked up to the larger Sentient whole now, I don't think it entirely out of question for there to develop a splinter faction on that large ship of likeminded Sentients. Either through their own ideas or from some kind of "logic plague" that spreads out from Natah. Now how that works thematically with Lotus's storyarc is an entirely different aspect to consider. 

And lastly, we have the one announced Duvir. Something we know damn near nothing about beyond the innitial reveal and some scant tidpits that, if my memory serves me, takes place in a sort pocket in the Void and set around the Zariman or a ship similar and a Dax offshoot. 

First of all, very cool ideas, but I really hope they overhaul and fix all other open worlds before they make a new one. Too many bugged bounties. And they REALLY need to give up on forcing minigames down our throats in form of fishing, mining and conservation. Keep them optional for people who actually enjoy them, and not tie them to faction progress like in Deimos.... 

I really liked the look and feel of Deimos, just not the mini-games and rushed bounties that are still not working properly to this day. Not to mention Plains bounties which have been broken or otherwise flawed for much longer. 

As long as it's as beautiful and big as cetus I agree. If it's another open world like deimos, I honestly don't want it. Deimos is too small as an open world.

Cetus is the best open world of warframe.  Fortuna there are many things missing...perrin sequence ship sunk in the lake and a spider floating in the lake (where are the stories or events behind these things that have not yet been explored?)

I think before thinking about a new open world  should look at fortuna and come up with relevant events or quests.

Archived