Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwatch MAH EYES!! --- [Nightwatch Napalm]

Scar.brother.help.me

Talking of visual effects, i just fought General Sargas Ruk because...well there was no because, I just felt like it. I was hanging around him cloaked in operator mode avoiding damage and waiting to hit his fuel canisters with my amp. Anyway, when he was spamming that fire eruption attack, I could see nothing but exploding fire. Whole screen was filled with it.

It was very distracting...

3 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Going to guess you mean nightwatch napalm... its not the worst thing in game

Not the worst, but it's up there, AFAIC. One of the few  things that's made me abandon squads, and the only recent visual thing. 

It's  bad enough to attract some trolls. I ran into one of these a couple of weeks ago, who'd named their weapon something like "FPS BEACHZ".

And it's not affected by energy color.  So, while we don't have to worry about pink napalm burning our eyes out, an Ogris player who doesn't want to cause problems  can't address it with appearance settings.

44 minutes ago, Quimoth said:

I am pretty sure there are settings to tone down visual effects like this.

Probably.  But it sucks to reduce one's entire visual experience of the game because of an outlier.

DE does seem to recognize this, since in the past they've fixed similar issues.

Spoiler

Or, should I say, "simulor issues", lol.

On 2021-12-10 at 3:31 AM, Lutesque said:

Is it because they are intentionally trolling ? 🤔

100% trolling. There are people who deliberately run Mirage with the Kuva Ogris and use a combination of energy colours to quite literally turn your screen either black due to adaptive exposure, or incredibly bright. Same goes (though more rarely) for some people running Vauban with bright/white energy colours and spamming his Vortex. DE needed to do something about both these things yesterday.

On 2021-12-09 at 10:31 PM, Lutesque said:

Why are people using this Augment or even just Kuva Ogris anyway ?

I thought Zarr was Meta... Is it because they are intentionally trolling ? 🤔

Kuva Ogris (mostly gas- and fire-based builds) is considerably more powerful than kuva Zarr against infested and corpus. One can easily get 700+ kills in upper steel path survival in 5 minutes either solo or with a full squad even without Mirage or any warframe buffs. One can adjust the settings in the options menu to make the visual effects less intrusive if desired.

The current visual effect of Nightwatch Napalm looks very outdated, on top of being obtrusive. Like, early 2000s outdated. Napalm Grenades' effect, while not exactly fantastic either, at least looks more like actual fiery napalm puddles. Overall, weapon's effects in this game could really do with an upgrade pass imo (better AND more varied).

As others suggested, for now i think maybe simply letting us recolor it, while capping its maximum brightness (in order to prevent pure blinding white spamulor-style griefing), would help alleviate the obtrusiveness issue.

Anyway @Scar.brother.help.me this might have higher chances to be noticed by VFX artists in the "art, animation and UI" subforum. Also beware, Malwarebytes detects a trojan in your picture.

7 hours ago, akots said:

Kuva Ogris (mostly gas- and fire-based builds) is considerably more powerful than kuva Zarr against infested and corpus. One can easily get 700+ kills in upper steel path survival in 5 minutes either solo or with a full squad even without Mirage or any warframe buffs. One can adjust the settings in the options menu to make the visual effects less intrusive if desired.

You can not adjust this in the settings. The setting they have to reduce players effects does not work with this visual. And I am not going to put my visual setting at the lowest just because of this one weapon. As for the Zarr, you were playing with a zarr player that wasn't doing much then.

On 2021-12-10 at 3:31 AM, Lutesque said:

Why are people using this Augment or even just Kuva Ogris anyway

The ogris is a great weapon - not as many crits, but its faster and just nicer to use than the zarr. It feels better, it is fun.

As for the augment, it works brilliantly. Fire off a rocket, watch as everything that didn't die immediately, dies, along with things that run into the flames. Corridor denial, its perfect for. Steel path v infestation, its amazingly good. You can stand still and listen to the pings and cracks as the infested cook off. Can't see them, because of the effects, but it works so well.

You can see NW Napalm in use in simulacrum here, its a lot, lot worse in dark areas such as grineer tilesets.

1 hour ago, gbjbaanb said:

The ogris is a great weapon - not as many crits, but its faster and just nicer to use than the zarr. It feels better, it is fun.

I disagree. It is not faster only the player is and nicer to use is just opinion as is the rest on this statement. I find the Zarr far superior and more fun but that is my opinion. And here is a video from the same guy and at time 12:45 he basically says it is one of the best.

En 10/12/2021 a las 4:31, Lutesque dijo:

Why are people using this Augment or even just Kuva Ogris anyway ?

In short, the Ogris is better than people think. Most people think that a weapon without a critical chance is automatically useless, but this is not always true. In the case of the Ogris it has decent base damage, the ability to apply a lot of status and the nightwatch napalm mod that does a lot of heat damage. It is far more effective than people think.

11 hours ago, Lord_Shadovar said:

I disagree. It is not faster only the player is and nicer to use is just opinion as is the rest on this statement. I find the Zarr far superior and more fun but that is my opinion. And here is a video from the same guy and at time 12:45 he basically says it is one of the best.

Totally agree about the Zarr being more fun. Who wouldn't want to play with a cannon that shoots cluster cannoballs with an in built shotgun?

Some people like Ogris, some like Zarr. Whatever, we're not here to debate that.

Anyway, back on topic, the flame effects of napalm were increased by DE a few years back apparently, rightly as the old ones were not as wonderful as they could be. But they did over do it - the Lezar video shows it nicely. You can imagine that in an enclosed map, blocking out everything else

On 2021-12-09 at 7:37 PM, Tiltskillet said:

DE does seem to recognize this, since in the past they've fixed similar issues.

Hide contents

Or, should I say, "simulor issues", lol.

Yes, they 'fixed' it..

Spoiler

wfsimulvis1.png

For a very loose definition of 'fixed'. Especially if you meet someone trying to be a nuisance.

Spoiler

wfsimulvis2.png

Some might say it's as bad, or worse than ever. My settings aren't even turned up. Effect intensity is at default 100 and almost everything else is at low/off in these pictures, particles included.

6 minutes ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

Yes, they 'fixed' it..

Hide contents

wfsimulvis1.png

For a very loose definition of 'fixed'. Especially if you meet someone trying to be a nuisance.

Hide contents

wfsimulvis2.png

Some might say it's as bad, or worse than ever. My settings aren't even turned up. Effect intensity is at default 100 and almost everything else is at low/off in these pictures, particles included.

I've been playing with the Simulor a lot.  Very cool weapon that I never gave a chance before now.

I do wish the effect was more transparent.  The common fix of black energy color doesn't work, nor does white or anything else that I've found.  The easiest on my eyes does actually seem to be a light pink (lighter than in your image) but it's only a tiny improvement.

Worse are the cloud effects of Mutalist Cernos and Torid.   Still not as bad Nightwatch Napalm, but quite bad.

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, Keiyadan said:

i dont know what you asking for but the color is changeable now if you use black you basicly see nothing of it but

Yes, we can change our -own- energy color so as not to blind ourselves with Nightwatch Napalm.  But we can't use the "Reduce Teammate Visual Effects" control to keep from being blinded by other people using it. 

The only direct in-game solution is the "Visual Effects Intensity" slider, but this lowers the quality of all fx.  Which sucks, for all kinds of reasons.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Tiltskillet:

Yes, we can change our -own- energy color so as not to blind ourselves with Nightwatch Napalm.  But we can't use the "Reduce Teammate Visual Effects" control to keep from being blinded by other people using it. 

The only direct in-game solution is the "Visual Effects Intensity" slider, but this lowers the quality of all fx.  Which sucks, for all kinds of reasons.

of course but there are other threads that about Visual effects behave like flashbangs

like that would see a more overall fix for it

11 minutes ago, Keiyadan said:

of course but there are other threads that about Visual effects behave like flashbangs

like that would see a more overall fix for it

Sure, and I've upvoted both, and I recommend anyone else do the same. 

But Nightwatch Napalm is unique, or close to it, in being a weapon effect that is not affected by the proper button.  It's especially infuriating in that this effect is both drastic and widespread, and DE went to the effort of fixing the energy color problem, but ignored all the accompanying feedback as far as we can tell.   Which actually made the problem worse in many cases, especially when people are intentionally trying to troll.

Sweeping changes to larger issues would be great when they come...if they ever do.  In the meantime, a specific fix to this would have an immediate, positive effect on the game experience.  For me personally, I'd be able to immediately move my Visual Intensity slider back to max where I prefer it and start playing in squads more again.

Archived