Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 35 is Like an Artisan Vase - Pretty, but Empty

Mikhael222

This update gave me mixed feelings....

Downs:

1. Warframe's storytelling is definitely not where it once was.......I, of course, refer to the quality and intrigue of Second Dream, the War Within, and the Sacrifice.  Whispers in the Walls feels more like a shallow/brief introduction to a new tileset.  It could have been so much deeper.
2. The tome is cool, but I feel like more should/could be done with it.  Spellcasting is generally understood to be a more mentally-complex pursuit.  The current "point-and-shoot" use is good to have for ease of use in fast-paced combat, but I think the tomes should be able to do more interesting things in future updates.  Perhaps with certain codes or conditions, you could do more, such as:
     A. Hack terminals remotely

B. Send enemies into confusion, killing each other

C. Summon a void entity

D. Buff allies / Debuff enemies

E. Fun/Harmless pranks on other players

F. Really, there is a myriad of possibilities......

3. Overall, the main negative impression of the update can be summed up as: A Waste of Potential.

Ups:

1. The new environments look fantastic.

2. Haven't tried all the new mission types yet, but I'm glad they exist and have read positive reviews about them already.

3. So ready to get more of those new decorations into my possession.

4. Qorvex.  I know some people were down on him from the devstream, but I'm actually excited/optimistic about playing with him when I get him.

• Like 11

35 minutes ago, Mikhael222 said:

This update gave me mixed feelings....

Downs:

1. Warframe's storytelling is definitely not where it once was.......I, of course, refer to the quality and intrigue of Second Dream, the War Within, and the Sacrifice.  Whispers in the Walls feels more like a shallow/brief introduction to a new tileset.  It could have been so much deeper.
2. The tome is cool, but I feel like more should/could be done with it.  Spellcasting is generally understood to be a more mentally-complex pursuit.  The current "point-and-shoot" use is good to have for ease of use in fast-paced combat, but I think the tomes should be able to do more interesting things in future updates.  Perhaps with certain codes or conditions, you could do more, such as:
     A. Hack terminals remotely

B. Send enemies into confusion, killing each other

C. Summon a void entity

D. Buff allies / Debuff enemies

E. Fun/Harmless pranks on other players

F. Really, there is a myriad of possibilities......

3. Overall, the main negative impression of the update can be summed up as: A Waste of Potential.

Ups:

1. The new environments look fantastic.

2. Haven't tried all the new mission types yet, but I'm glad they exist and have read positive reviews about them already.

3. So ready to get more of those new decorations into my possession.

4. Qorvex.  I know some people were down on him from the devstream, but I'm actually excited/optimistic about playing with him when I get him.

totaly, agree, empty, story extremly short, the only thing i enjoyed was the litle time with the ak and the original excalibur dude, in rest meh, about the tome? i hate it, i wanna use my lex, not some spellbook, they managed to dull my interest for 1999, i dont expect it anymore, if this is the kind of quantity they hailed on all those amouncements they can keep it, they realy make me say mah they can do it now, or in 3 years, im not hyped anymore

• Like 3

The graphics are stunning. Sound is great too.

that's it though, the rest is roughly a reskinned Zariman experience with slight reworks to make things feel different, but really it feels exactly like Zariman. And fair enough there - a lot of content has to come along so you're always going to get reuse.

My problem with it is really the really bad story, its nothing like the mainline story that has carried warframe to undreamed heights. This is bad fanfic in comparison, it has nothing liek the depth or vagueness fragmentary parts that enhanced trhe original.

The missions are a bit OK, but the have the same issues that Zariman has - that of being node-locked missions but an open-world style bounty system. It didn't really work with the Zariman, so many complaints about quitting and bugs, and they seem to be repeated here. I'm not convinced the bounty system works for node missions., Maybe that's the reason I stopped running Zariman missions - not because the tileset isnt; gorgeous, but there's something missing that the old corpus ship or grineer base has, maybe there's just too much in the Zariman when all you really want is to run along shooting or defending. I can't really put my finger on it, but I doubt I'll play any of these Sanctum nodes once I'm ranked up.

the characters are annoyingly bad too - I will be happy to never interact with the fish or butler again.

and then there's the statues - I'm not even sure what those 2 giant are there for. Did part of it get cut? and why is old Albert in the broken cryopod, what was that all about? I'm sure some of the timetravel part got cut too, there seems to be no reason for it at all. Maybe this is just part 1, the teaser for WF 1999, but maybe its just more "great" ideas that never got finished.

And the book, why did they even bother? I used it literally once. It was worthless. I mean in aghame for space ninjas why did they think a book weapon was a good idea? And why, considering it is so easily discarded, did they go to the trouble implementing it? Is this more Soulframe stuff that has been put into WF to justify the cost? Becasue that's all it seems to be.

Edited by CephalonCarnage
  • Like 5

The 3 quests you mentioned are stories that bring the overall warframe story forward. Not sure if anyone noticed, not sure since when, there isn't any new stories to bring the game forward, all it did now was to touch a bit here and there expanding on existing stories, nothing going forward. It felt like buying time to try to keep the game alive. Hence perhaps that is the reason for how you feel about the game now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mikhael222 said:

Spellcasting is generally understood to be a more mentally-complex pursuit

Here's the thing: in video games, tabletop games, movies... pretty much anything that isn't literature/comics/manga, the mentally complex part is flavor text rather than an actually demonstrated mechanical effect.

Your character has a high INT stat to cast spells, but you only need your average human INT stat to play as your character casting spells

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunkelheit said:

I could not disagree more. The update is absolutely fantastic. The vault run alone is worth 3 other expansions. The graphics are stunning.

Same. I am very much liking this update. 

The cinematic quest is. a bit short, sure, compared to say New War, but I prefer these sorts of updates much more in the sense, there is a lot more gameplay additions, we have new tile sets, enemies, lore, collectibles, modes, a decent amount of QOL, and I already like Qorvex more than Caliban. 

Also my enjoyment and appreciation, is definitely not here to invalidate or counter anyone else's criticisms or gripes, you know, subjectivity, and preferences and all, but its an excellent update for myself, and I can already tell I'm going to spend a lot of time with it, and enjoying it. 

• Like 4

Yeah it's very empty when you've dumped everything out of said vase. Maybe try looking back at all that content you've left on the floor.

Now if nothing that was in it was to your taste that's fine but don't pretend that it wasn't there to begin with.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mikhael222 said:

. Haven't tried all the new mission types yet

then how can you say it's empty, when you haven't pulled everything out of the box, or fancy Vase, if you want to use your own allegory. I did the Quest, all 5 netracell runs for this week and hit Cavia rank 2 (logged off after hitting standing cap), so I'd say I put enough time for me to formulate my own opinion:

this update is great!

- the quest was WEIRD, trippy as hell and gave me a lot to think about. still a decent quest overall.

- the environments are the most beautiful in this game yet, bar none: Tileset devs went HARD with this one!

- characters seem well written.. even though I know the bird is gonna annoy me over time (not his fault) and Tagfer's backstory curbstomped my feelings.

- new game modes are all fun, personally I'm not a fan of Mirror Defense but the new version is alright. Alchemy is pretty fun, Netracell missions are AWESOME, gonna be doing those every week I reckon.

- bounties aren't too bad either, they follow a similar route as the Zariman bounties, which isn't a bad thing. being able to find pickups in the map is nice, though I still have a long way to go to figuring out all the secret doors.

what's even more surprising.. it was STABLE. only two thigns went wrong before the first hotifx: enemies not spawning very often during the netracell part of the quest, and the softlock with Tagfer (which has already been fixed). this has to be one of the most stable launches of any update that I've seen; whether that's down more to pure luck or if it really is the devs doing a good job I can't say, but credit where it's due, it's in really good shape, and whatever issues are there that i didn't encounter will be patched in time anyway.

this update is many things; empty is not one of them. if this update isn't enough for you, then I think you have an appetite that can never be sated by any game. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

then how can you say it's empty

if this update isn't enough for you, then I think you have an appetite that can never be sated by any game. 

1. I never said it was *all* empty.  I said the story was empty.

2. I actually am having a lot of fun.  I just think there was also a lot of wasted potential in both the story and the book's mechanics.

21 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

what's even more surprising.. it was STABLE

Now that I can agree with.  Pretty great how stable it is for the first day.

Edited by Mikhael222
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dunkelheit said:

I could not disagree more. The update is absolutely fantastic. The vault run alone is worth 3 other expansions. The graphics are stunning.

This.

The missions are a barbarian bloodbath with high enemy density, fun mechanics, and gorgeous scenery.
It's a malestrom madhouse at high levels, and we even get a 200+ level weekly mode to really bring out the DPS.

Aside from the bugs, this update is great.

1 hour ago, Kaiga said:

This.

The missions are a barbarian bloodbath with high enemy density, fun mechanics, and gorgeous scenery.
It's a malestrom madhouse at high levels, and we even get a 200+ level weekly mode to really bring out the DPS.

Aside from the bugs, this update is great.

What fun mechanics? None of the game modes are new or interesting and take objectives from existing modes like mirror defense and that railjack mission where you have to destroy the interference drones that are way too far away. This update definitely has some cool stuff but interesting mechanics are not one.

• Like 1

Its pretty much like fools gold ,

shiny but has little value to me nor will it keep me engaged.

It has been made doubly annoying due to all the crashes i get and the unnecessary long , large , convoluted missions which bug our half the time.

Most of the rewards dont interest me , the characters feel odd , like someone just didnt want to bother with animation and just picked random assets and had someone decent voice them but were told to be as annoying as possible.Tacky is the word i would use.

Maybe that will change after a few rankups.

The story was ... passable, IF I COULD REMEMBER HALF OF IT , DE really needs to stop having dialogues in the middle of a high action sequence , it ruins the action and the story both.

I might bother to rank it up, but i am really struggling to find it enjoyable currently.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Its pretty much like fools gold ,

shiny but has little value to me nor will it keep me engaged.

It has been made doubly annoying due to all the crashes i get and the unnecessary long , large , convoluted missions which bug our half the time.

Most of the rewards dont interest me , the characters feel odd , like someone just didnt want to bother with animation and just picked random assets and had someone decent voice them but were told to be as annoying as possible.Tacky is the word i would use.

Maybe that will change after a few rankups.

The story was ... passable, IF I COULD REMEMBER HALF OF IT , DE really needs to stop having dialogues in the middle of a high action sequence , it ruins the action and the story both.

I might bother to rank it up, but i am really struggling to find it enjoyable currently.

i honestly think i will skip the entire content of this update, i made the quest thats it back to some enjoyable content, i wanna use the guns i spended weeks to fuly mod and up not a spellbook that looks nice and thats it, and they force you to have it equiped

vor 1 Stunde schrieb SovietSilviu:

i honestly think i will skip the entire content of this update, i made the quest thats it back to some enjoyable content, i wanna use the guns i spended weeks to fuly mod and up not a spellbook that looks nice and thats it, and they force you to have it equiped

Typical Warframe Forum complainer... dude, you don't need the "spellbook" for anything... yes, in the quest you need it equipped, but you got 2 other weapon slots to choose from. You don't need the book after the quest at all. So I don't even know what you are complaining about. And probably you don't know yourself.

Edited by Dunkelheit
  • Like 4

I loved the Quest, the lore. The whole experience. 

This update was adding a new tileset, new items to farm and new things to do. Very similar to Angel's of Zariman. 

Quest was an hour long, and is the launch point of where we moving forward from here. Warframe 1999 is going to be the next Cinematic Quest. 

Whispers wasn't. Great Quest for the length that it was. 

• Like 1