The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How many of you mod for cold and if so, for what?

The little bit of crit damage is one thing but there's the slow. My go to sentinel weapon lately is a helstrum modded for radiation and cold. Theres a bit of anti synergy with nautilus as enemies don't get grouped as easily if they are slowed, but it still works pretty well for drawing aggro off me and slowing down enemies.

Its kinda funny to watch a demolisher necramech get brought to what might as well be a complete stop. (Inb4 nerf)

But, aside from that. I never use cold. You (generally) cant use cold and viral, and corrosive isnt super appealing anymore. 

Maybe after the new status rework we'll see more corrosive/cold viability.

• Like 2

If I needed to slow an enemy down my options were either Ice Wave Impedance, Night Peaceful Provocation, or Slowva, but, on higher content I would use Ice Wave. However, since the nerf to the augment, I modded one weapon for cold for DA/EDA. Even though I lost some damage, it so much better than having to deal with constantly moving Necramechs.

• Like 2

Well, i used blast and cold on a sentinel beam weapon once, it could be made into blast since the beam did cold at all times regardless of elements, this made enemies fall to the ground in slow motion, which was helpfull but limited to a single enemy.

Right now i am preparing the tenet glaxion for cold only, not only by making sure enemies receive the necessary 10 procs quickly to freeze them, but i'm also adding hunter munitions, critical and an arcane that benefits from the cold procs, once the changes to cold get implemented, the damage should spike considerably on a frozen enemy.

I don't mod for Cold but use weapons with innate Cold. Not only does it slow down enemies but it also activated Primary Frostbite.

I would mod for Cold if I had the space but I don't so I have to rely on getting Cold from other sources.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I only really mod for cold with weapons like Glaxion. Nightwave is pain in the a55 already, dont need to add "and now which of my million weapons has cold damage?" factor. So I have glaxion with cold mods, ignis with heat mods etc, so I know what to use for NW and for roleplay as well.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

Cold hasn't had much value in any of the status/damage systems. It used to accompany Gas though often Electric was a better option.

When Cold used to increase the duration of other status effects it probably saw the most use.

Because Electric can instantly stun in AoE while Cold needs stacks, I doubt much will change unless they make the Crit Multiplicative.

Well, that is the problem with Cold. It is super awesome, but it merges with other elements. And you probably need Viral somewhere, or for example, Heat on secondary is pretty much a must if you go after DPS. There are simply better alternatives to pure cold.

But I choose Cold on Nataruk as a single element (1 Primed mod). Because... I do not have any other primed elemental mod and I had only one slot available. There were not many options to choose from.

Also, Chilling Reload is probably on each of my shotguns. It was the best mod in the beginning as it is easy to obtain, has low capacity and reload speed is always good on a shotgun.

Generally, as Murmur is weak against Radiation, it is kinda natural to do a Rad/Cold combination for primary guns.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb ECCHOSIERRA:

The little bit of crit damage is one thing but there's the slow. My go to sentinel weapon lately is a helstrum modded for radiation and cold. Theres a bit of anti synergy with nautilus as enemies don't get grouped as easily if they are slowed, but it still works pretty well for drawing aggro off me and slowing down enemies.

Its kinda funny to watch a demolisher necramech get brought to what might as well be a complete stop. (Inb4 nerf)

But, aside from that. I never use cold. You (generally) cant use cold and viral, and corrosive isnt super appealing anymore. 

i play always with sentinel verglas. it has cold too and i quickly get 40x stacks for primary frostbite.

so there is a lot of possibilities and yes cold status is very good for single target cc normal units

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCHOSIERRA said:

Because cold go brrrrrrrrr

On my Dante build with nourish subsumed over Noctua, I run cold+corrosive on my Torid with Shivering Contagion (only weapon equipped too). My Noctua uses elec/gas, verglas uses heat/viral/rad. Provides pretty good coverage of different elements.

Sometimes on my Excalibur's MOA build, I'll run cold+corrosive verglas. Its a lot more useful than mediocre heat+viral, especially at level cap. 

2 hours ago, ECCHOSIERRA said:

Corrosive + 2 shards is good for armored enemies. My magnetic (progegnitor)+cold+corrosive Tenet glaxion even without potato/forma could armor strip quickly. Imagine fully it fully moded.

To be honest I can guess we will see even more. Why? if your armor strip goes just to health (so you cannot armor strip it) then you go into e.g. viral to boost your damage.

But, aside from that. I never use cold.

I've tried cold arcane with Prisma lenz... it was too slow.  So I rarely use it.

Cold needs to stack indefinitely (like heat, toxin, electric) to be worth building for. It's not like anyone is doubling up on dot procs with the single uncombined elements. As long as the stacks are capped, there's no point building for cold status, anyone who actually wants cold can easily hit 10 without investment.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, quxier said:

Prisma lenz

Lenz status application/explosion is singificantly delayed, which makes the enemies go out of the bubble before it happens.

I mod cold myself only for NW cold damage kills and once on sentinel for a bit of CC when everything had 50% HP as overguard.

And I cold rad/cold on Imperator Vandal for PT, but it is status immune, so i do not think that matters.

Edited by Zakkhar

Posted (edited)

Usually I’ll mod for it when I’m building for some role that involves cold damage and slow effect and then I typically shoot whatever’s weak to cold (though what I shoot at any moment does depend on how the fight’s going). Sometimes while I’m leveling new gear it makes sense with the content I’m doing and how I’ve customised the gun and what leftover capacity I’m working with according to other mods I’ve equipped and other pieces of gear I’ve brought, and sometimes it doesn’t even need to be a new piece of kit, since anything I’ve got is open to shifting mods and builds and capacity and playstyles where sometimes it just makes sense to throw on a cold mod for what I’m doing or fighting

Edited by Merkranire

Yup, sentinels are the only thing I seriously mod for cold, and they are OP. Sentinels = gloom.

I've TRIED (seriously tried) to mod many shotguns and a few other primaries for it using Primary Frostbite, and I'll try again with this new Glaxion mod, but it just will never be as good as viral, or even heat...

and this looks to be true even in the face of upcoming status changes.

IDK, it just still sucks, I can't find a way to make it a serious consideration on anything, not even cold-dedicated weapons/frames.

• Like 2

Viral / Corrosive + heat kinda just beats everything, so it's hard to actually mod for cold. Best I could think of is modding for corrosive + cold and then using nourish to add viral to the damage for viral + corrosive + cold, but that involves an ability instead of actually having it solely on the weapon.

Only thing I actually mod for cold are the verglas and other ice beam sentinel weapons, except they have innate cold so I don't really need to mod for it. Cold + shivering contagion is pretty good for CC and priming. Usually run corrosive + radiation (from that radiation rifle mod) + cold on Verglas combined with a lot of fire rate and vigilant mods for the set bonus on my primary weapon makes my sentinel a very good support companion. Sometimes i'd also use primary frostbite on my weapons since the sentinel can max out the arcane stacks very quickly so I can easily achieve bonus multishot and critical damage without needing to actually inflict cold myself.

As for other, non-sentinel weapons, sadly not really. The usual viral / corrosive + heat kinda just works universally, and with the upcoming cold buff, it'd definitely make cold based builds a lot better, but what's probably going to happen is sentinels become even more insane at being cc / support with their cold beam weapons while the players themselves will stick to what currently works, unless they make blast into something extremely good but I really don't think builds are going to change that much regardless of what the next update brings, unless they completely overhaul all of the status effects yet again.

Only my sentinel/MOA, really.

I had a pure Cold Gorgon build that also had metamag, so you'd slow with the first few hits and then turn them to stone. Essentially what the Cold rework will add. It was fine, but it's a meme build. I swapped that to pure Toxin when Primary Blight came out since it fit more with the snake/medusa theme plus the extra DPS and shield ignore. It's still a meme build, but it's a slightly better one.

I'm considering a pure Cold Quellor, which would be swapping the 60/60 Toxin I have right now for 60/60 cold. Primary fire dumps Cold procs to freeze, secondary fire gets a stationary target for headshots, extra crit damage, forced impact procs, and the Impact → Slash proc conversion. Since this would be used by my Khora, I could add the Viral damage that's currently there if I ever wanted it by casting Nourish. But that's a build totally limited to my Khora since she's the only place I use Nourish. In general I probably won't bother.

I'm also considering a Gas Cold Sobek but no idea how that'll go.

A lot of this is hypothetical and depends on how strong the Cold buff is. I have very little expectation it's going to be able to match the massive 4.25x damage buff you're giving up by not having Viral, nevermind all the enemies that will be freeze-immune and ignore it.

I have multiple Tenet Cycrons for different builds, one of them is cold. Since the TCycron deals heat innately I added electricity to force it to change to radiation so I could isolate cold as a status effect on the weapon. The reason I did this is I discovered that Demolysts can be slowed by cold procs. This is useful since Demolysts can nullify abilities but they have no way to avoid status effects. So between the high status chance and functionally infinite ammo I have a tool that can easily max out the cold stacks on a target in seconds and can just as easily re-up those stacks quickly when they decay.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Varzin13:

I have multiple Tenet Cycrons for different builds, one of them is cold. Since the TCycron deals heat innately I added electricity to force it to change to radiation so I could isolate cold as a status effect on the weapon. The reason I did this is I discovered that Demolysts can be slowed by cold procs. This is useful since Demolysts can nullify abilities but they have no way to avoid status effects. So between the high status chance and functionally infinite ammo I have a tool that can easily max out the cold stacks on a target in seconds and can just as easily re-up those stacks quickly when they decay.

This is actually a kickass weapon that is very useful for standard SP content. For unique enemies you need something else.
But thanks to high crit, a lot is possible. harrow, saryn etc. do first class damage with it.

1 hour ago, PublikDomain said:

I had a pure Cold Gorgon build that also had metamag, so you'd slow with the first few hits and then turn them to stone. Essentially what the Cold rework will add. It was fine, but it's a meme build.

Haha! I did this exact thing too! Super fun but man did it struggle to kill anything. I had a weird dream of it somehow working on demolysts. I'd love a Gorgon stone & cold freezing uber-niche style that actually worked, alas, it was indeed a meme build.

• Like 1

Other than companion weapons, I use  corrosive cold builds a fair bit.  The main intention for cold being to make headshots easier, but a little general CC is nice too.

Being able to freeze enemies will be a nice bonus, but won't come into play much with those builds.  It'll help with Shivering Contagion sentinels though.

• Like 1

I've ran it just for the sake of using slightly different mods. Ultimately it doesn't make much of a difference in practice other than having some tankier enemies slowed down for a bit.

However regarding the rework I can't see it making Cold any better. Freezing non-immune enemies isn't going to be useful and if the crit buff becomes tied to the freeze effect then it'll just be a net nerf to Cold. But I guess at that point it could at least be a "for fun" status if you just wanted to take a zero damage weapon and turn enemies into statues. Though if that does happen it'd be a shame to see cold go from bad to mediocre and back to bad again.

Corrosive sniping, or banking on cold procs to hold them in place to make headshotting easier. Not usually how I build, but I have tried it once in a while

Sometimes my build can only fit one elemental mod, and I'll throw on cold once in a while to spice things up

• Like 1