Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What makes a veteran?

Deger27

I’m just curious so I’m just asking what makes a player a veteran?

Is it how long you’ve played the game? Is it how many hours you have played in game?

I’ve seen founders with only 200 hrs gameplay in game calling themselves veterans and I’ve seen players with a little over a year on the game with over 1000 hrs game play. 

I myself have played this game for a few years now and completed all the content in the game right down to collecting all the kuria but I don’t know that I’d consider myself a veteran due to the players that have played this game for over four years. 

5 minutes ago, Deger27 said:

Usually its when someone arbitrarily decides you are.

• Played for four years. Many hours.
  • Almost MR25 (not because I am lazy)
  • I do not really consider myself a veteran. Other people do though :clem:

When you can finnaly do things on your own, like not depending on others on how to do builds or if a riven is good or bad, or how does a mission mechanic work, you go in, learn it and then you teach others if they have questions.

Players accompany you, you do not accompany others

Edited by KIREEK

Veteran will mean a different thing for every person.

For me it means: Someone who has invested time in the game and has built their skills to a point they can not only handle most missions, but can benefit the squad to the maximum ability of each and every Frame they take into said missions. They have an understanding of the game mechanics to a point they can gain the most of mods, building up Frames and weapons to bring out the very best in those items. With an ability to use the Frames, weapons, and gear they have to their fullest, not just the meta, or spamming a skill over and over.

[Time invested is not a number, as each player will have a different learning curve. Some learn quickly, while others take more time]

Above all, to me, a Vet is someone that takes time to help those new to the game learn how to become a Vet themselves. This doesn't have to be something they always do, but doing so here and there so as to help the community along.

Dunno, even at mr24 I'm still learning new stuffs/ routes that mr 18 or 19s use from time to time. Likewise I've seen my share of mr 24/ 25 that somehow blames certain parts of a game as buggy when it's proven that it's their lack of understanding on how some mechanics work in this game....

From my perspective, a Tenno Veteran would've been around since Starchart 1.0 at the most, and would've stuck around in some way to recount the differences.
Someone who has at the very least been around since Parkour 1.0's conclusion - or any other major change, be it the Cinematic Quests (War Within to Plains of Eidolon being the most recent difference point, besides the drastic changes to Prime designs over time - which is good).

Personal history:

Spoiler

While I first appeared somewhen during Starchart 1.0, I didn't reappear until sometime after Tubemen of Regor / Echoes of the Sentient - and by then I tried via Console then came back to PC, adding the -732 to my name in fear that my former account had nothing to start with, since back then lives per frame per day were restricted to 4 and the only way you could replenish lives within the day was to use another warframe or spend plat.

Reason for disappearing that early: Corpus helmets were impervious, I wasn't using a controller, my keyboard skills were bad, and it was a dying laptop.

...To this day, since Update 18 (Second Dream), I constantly see new Tenno not appreciating the fact that they always have those extra lives every mission.

The reason I perceive Tenno Veterans in this manner is because if I were to base it on Mastery or skill it would be rather uncertain. You don't just become a Veteran by hitting MR 10/15/20.

Surplus derivations from context:

Spoiler

Fun fact: got stuck on MR18-MR19 test for ages. Once I passed it, the tests after were easy. Especially the Archwing Race one.
Speaking of Archwing Racing, I'd like to see some racing gametypes- be it with a forced-to standard speed-modded Excalibur with bullet-jump disabled or any Archwing with powers and weapons turned off.

Edited by Koldraxon-732
Nutshell: Veterans are those who can recount or reminisce about previous updates, like wall-running from Parkour 1.0, having been there to see them themselves.

22 minutes ago, Tsardova said:

Dunno, even at mr24 I'm still learning new stuffs/ routes that mr 18 or 19s use from time to time. Likewise I've seen my share of mr 24/ 25 that somehow blames certain parts of a game as buggy when it's proven that it's their lack of understanding on how some mechanics work in this game....

I had 2 guys mr.22 and mr 24 trying to convince me how my +240 dmg +212 cc -56 status chance Lanka riven is worthless because "Lanka is a status weapon"..Boggles the mind don't it.. Total basics, elemental damage, status chance. They went through 300+ weapons and somehow don't know about weapon modding. 

• 3k hours.

• All warframes and weapons

• Some crazy fashionframe.

• Calls him/herself a Veteran.

• Remembers some weird oldie thing... "Excalibur used to have super jump."

• Some sort of knowledgeable on the game.

Somewhere around those lines... 

I'd say if you've been around for a while and can competently take on any foe without requiring a specific setup, you are entitled to be called a veteran: you just have to show you can handle yourself and then it doesn't really matter what people call you.

try your best, don't be toxic and help others when possible, and you'll be better than a veteran, you'll be a good example of our community as a whole.

17 minutes ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

From my perspective, a Tenno Veteran would've been around since Starchart 1.0 at the most, and would've stuck around in some way to recount the differences.
Someone who has at the very least been around since Parkour 1.0's conclusion - or any other major change, be it the Cinematic Quests (War Within to Plains of Eidolon being the most recent difference point, besides the drastic changes to Prime designs over time - which is good).

Personal history:

Reveal hidden contents

While I first appeared somewhen during Starchart 1.0, I didn't reappear until sometime after Tubemen of Regor / Echoes of the Sentient - and by then I tried via Console then came back to PC, adding the -732 to my name in fear that my former account had nothing to start with, since back then lives per frame per day were restricted to 4 and the only way you could replenish lives within the day was to use another warframe or spend plat.

Reason for disappearing that early: Corpus helmets were impervious, I wasn't using a controller, my keyboard skills were bad, and it was a dying laptop.

...To this day, since Update 18 (Second Dream), I constantly see new Tenno not appreciating the fact that they always have those extra lives every mission.

The reason I perceive Tenno Veterans in this manner is because if I were to base it on Mastery or skill it would be rather uncertain. You don't just become a Veteran by hitting MR 10/15/20.

Surplus derivations from context:

Reveal hidden contents

Fun fact: got stuck on MR18-MR19 test for ages. Once I passed it, the tests after were easy. Especially the Archwing Race one.
Speaking of Archwing Racing, I'd like to see some racing gametypes- be it with a forced-to standard speed-modded Excalibur with bullet-jump disabled or any Archwing with powers and weapons turned off.

Lemme tell you a story about coptering. If a melee weapon could not copter, it was useless. The end.

(Still damn fast though)

44 minutes ago, Deger27 said:

Is it how long you’ve played the game? Is it how many hours you have played in game?

I’ve seen founders with only 200 hrs gameplay in game calling themselves veterans and I’ve seen players with a little over a year on the game with over 1000 hrs game play. 

I myself have played this game for a few years now and completed all the content in the game right down to collecting all the kuria but I don’t know that I’d consider myself a veteran due to the players that have played this game for over four years. 

If you are looking for measurables, it's probably:

1.  Quests up to date; Sortie eligible.

2.  All MR requirements met for mods/weapons.

I see a veteran when u have atlast all warframes and have played or never stoped playing  all the generations off the game
dmg 1.0  dmg 2.0 sword alone  focus   darksectors pvp   events ....  u dont need too have 50000hours in game but i call a player a veteran when he have exprienced that much of the game

the general premise is covering bases such as:

• has a solid understanding of how Damage works in Warframe.
  • has their Mods pretty well upgraded, but not necessarily has everything done in the game.
  • has a wide assortment of Equipment, so they can be prepared for the majority of situations.
  • has been playing the game for a bit. doesn't mean 10,000hrs though - just has been playing for long enough that they could have actually learned about the game.
  • probably knows most of the details about various Missions and Tilesets.
  • has probably been around to see major changes in the game over the years. maybe they weren't around in 2013 but major changes happen all the time.

you get the idea. understands the game, knows what they're doing.

22 minutes ago, .Re-light. said:

trying to convince me how my +240 dmg +212 cc -56 status chance Lanka riven is worthless because "Lanka is a status weapon"..

they might be referring to that it makes applying Viral or Gas nuking things with Lanka would become very difficult with that Riven - 'course you could just have two Rivens.
pretty good, for certain. Crit Damage would be better than the Damage but you can't win 'em all.

Edited by taiiat