Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[PC] Update 23: Visual Accessibility UI Themes and General UI Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Happy Monday, Tenno!

Please note that this morning we have hit the ground running with 'item names/labels on grids/icons'. Plenty of mockups are being worked on, and we may have some iterations on this as soon as this week. More to come!

Thanks for the update. 

Is there any news regarding the High Contrast theme?

It's probably been mentioned before, but matchmaking mode selector (Public/Solo etc) needs to be reworked.

It's too inconspicuous. I only managed to find it because I know it exists. No way new players will figure out by themselves that that small square button at the top left is the matchmaking mode selector. Hell, when I saw it at first I thought it was "invite a player" button.

Please, make it and its function more obvious.

14 hours ago, TzXtetriC said:

Why would you want that crap menu button when you hover the mouse over your icon and have it all there super easy to click? Adding that is more clicks and more work. No Ty.

The UI is buggy and it is actually a solution to some problems of the UI implementation as it stands. I really miss this button avoiding me to constantly alt-f4 the game when I run into issues,

4 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Here's the real question: Why didn't you (or the other devs) release some pictures/.gifs/videos to the players before-hand? You weren't keeping this part of the update a secret.

A large number of the flaws with this system are visible at first glance for many players. The Relic, Prime Parts, Weapon, Ducat Kiosk, and Baro inventories were instantly recognized as having missing functionality. The grids of identical icons with no defining factors that require mousing over every item to identify them is something that we players would have instantly picked up on and said 'no' to if there had been so much as a .gif uploaded to Twitter.

This, like many similar issues, would have been completely avoidable if you had asked the players, even in the slightest ways, before launching. I get that you (DE) like to do stuff your way first, then let the players help fix it, but if you aren't trying to keep something hidden/secret, then letting us have a functional peek would help prevent a lot of the problems that seem to stem from looking at things from a Dev PoV, instead of a Player PoV.

I'm not saying that you should lay all your cards on the table. I'm just saying that a little bit of player insight can go a long way in preventing issues like this one.

DE listens to the community better than any other Dev team there is. If u disagree... Maybe go play other games and get back to me.

2 minutes ago, bungawunga said:

The UI is buggy and it is actually a solution to some problems of the UI implementation as it stands. I really miss this button avoiding me to constantly alt-f4 the game when I run into issues,

The only issue that they are aware of and gonna fix is the conneciton lost to host when your in the landing craft loading screen. They for some reason disabled the cursor and the ability to click in that screen

Once the current screens are fixed, please do make sure Steve and the team hold this as a core design principle for the ~160 or however many screens they said had yet to be updated.

Show all pertinent information.  Make accessing that information as fast and efficient as possible.  Minimize clicks/actions needed to access it.  Prioritize key information based on the context in which that menu would be accessed.

And please remember to fix the squad view too, among the current "prime" screens.  Knowing your team composition in terms of frames/auras/relics/dragon keys and the player names that go with each one of them is vital at a glance, otherwise you are pausing for 10+ seconds in the middle of combat while you individually hover over each profile glyph (ironically glyph and MR which is all the current UI shows are the 2 least vital pieces of information in this context).  Also having the "burger" menu button in the top left return would be nice since I often want to open it up while in navigation, but the esc key only ever exits navigation, so now I have no way to open the menu while inside.

Edited by Callback

4 hours ago, (PS4)FurryZenJustice said:

Cross-posted here (as it's more applicable):

Okay, now that I've had a chance to look at some of the UI that's incoming and have more information on where they're at in the process, I'm very worried.

The UI model they say inspired them (e.g. Witcher 3) is not a good choice and I was very frustrated with the Witcher 3's inventory system in general. It was one of the low points of that game. Removing important information like labels and price information was a mistake.

Their UI design work seems to be grounded in some incorrect concepts.

1. Witcher 3 had good item management (it didn't)
  2. The image of the item is sufficient to identify what everything is (it's not)

Ironically hover/focus is actually better with keyboard/d-pad since we stop at each item already, but we still need some basic information to make decisions. Price is an important one, especially when buying things. When I go to Baro I total up the ducats I need to buy all the things I think are must-have and then farm them. If I have to hover over each one that increases the amount of time I have to do this and makes it more likely I will total it up incorrectly.

These are the pieces of info that I definitely need at a glance:

• Icon/image
  • Name
  • Quantity/Level (it seems things either have a level or a quantity, but not both; exception mods which have a unique presentation)
    • For blueprints it should have both the number of blueprints owned and the number of items owned. Presenting it as "17 (I) / 1 (B)" or "0 (I) / 0 (B)" would be fine. [where (I) and (B) are icons for constructed item and blueprint respectively)
    • For components it would be nice if it told me how many of the completed item I have. E.g. it would be nice if Frost Prime Neuroptics showed that I had already built Frost Prime.
  • Price (when buying and selling)
  • Is Mastered (for both blueprints and items)

Some of the above aren't going to be doable due to added processing/service call cost. But that's what I'd like to see at a glance.

It'll also be nice to look at the status of extractors with a quick glance instead of hovering my mouse over it.

The inconsistency of having a 2D UI on Profiles while using the diagonal 3D UI menu of Warframe-triggered ESC menu looks bothersome.
https://imgur.com/lhZggIo
It's more consistent and convinient seeing the ESC menu UI from operater-trigger as all the UI is presented fully in 2D.
https://imgur.com/FHx2YMb

And finally, having the matchmaking icon/button droplist on the right side makes it hard to use due to number of squad members keep changing. It would be better off on the left of the main account profile/glyph rather than to its right.
Oh, & please, bring back menu trigger button that was on the right as well.

Love the new UI, but these are small yet problematic changes.

5 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Happy Monday, Tenno!

Please note that this morning we have hit the ground running with 'item names/labels on grids/icons'. Plenty of mockups are being worked on, and we may have some iterations on this as soon as this week. More to come!

While we are happy you are doing this this should have been obvious from the get go to anyone who has ever played the game, Reb 😞

General UI issues:

Spoiler

-Icons do not accurately reflect what they relate to.
-Old UI layout for item name, level, forma, mastery, and price should be reinstated as-was. This may require squashing the rectangles.
-Some cases of half-new Mod UI can be found in Trading and when inspecting inventory in social locations. These make mods look a little weird.
-Spawning UI is a bit weird as it seems to be a copy-paste of the inventory UI with no changes as to how to list things.
-UI colours and colours of icons look faded or higher-contrasted and darker in comparison to their actual ingame counterparts. This is glaringly noticable on Chroma and almost every Prime. The only time this has not been the case is with Umbra's sword.
-UI can sometimes be difficult to navigate with a controller, especially the spawning UI where the 'spawn' button is hard to reach and the 'kill enemies' button already is bound elsewhere.
-UI icons are incredibly small, smaller than UI 2.0's, which makes it confusing and more difficult to navigate.
-Icons in general need something to identify them by and should not require people to hover over them.
-UI colours in general for the new Primed look seem off and don't stand out enough.

I believe almost every issue we're encountering is entirely because the rest of UI 3.0 is still in the works.

Also, since DE's bringing back the item name part, they could try and recreate what they had at UI 2.0's endpoint when it came to item name/level/forma/mastered/price information, all of which is actually still present in the arsenal UI since that hasn't been changed, yet, meaning they can reuse that code for it and preserve the icons as seen in arsenal to avoid making 2 icons for 1 item.

Edited by Koldraxon-732
Recycle existing UI from arsenal to hasten inventory presentation upgrade.

Every time someone is joining the game i have to stop and press ESC to check what warframe/weapons he is using. What i would like is to make that notification box (that black box popping out when someone join the game) contain that information and show players loadouts.

Edited by Sebith

6 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Happy Monday, Tenno!

Did the fix include the problem regarding "Update failed, content server temporarily not available"? U believe got ton of player got this issue

8 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Happy Monday, Tenno!

Can we please have seeing our squadmate's equipment without mousing over back, too? Particularly obnoxious for keysharing but never an improvement to need to mouse over to see gear instead of it just being visible like before on esc menu. It's not like there isn't space for it even on the smallest monitors.

Thank you for the new update! The new UI looks interesting -  we discussed it in clan etc and some questions arose:

Will it be possible to switch back to the old UI, until the new UI is fixed?

Will there be changes for Trade and Baro, like depiction for Prime Parts (name & bronze, silver, gold rarity), show currency when in trade (with Baro) (credits, platinum, ducats), Animals (breed), Ayatan (what & how many stars)?

Will it be possible to sort syndicate augmets by frames, not only in alphabetical order?

Will there be a zoom function to show more or less items at the same time?

Will it be possible to customize the UI with the colors we bought? Or do we get at least some color-blind, epileptic modes and ofc some for people with other special needs?

Will it be possible to mark items as important to not part with them by accident and/or as junk to autosell them (Oberon etc), or at least add some new tabs to keep the misc section smaller?

Will it be possible to look at collected imprints and/or discard them via inventory?

Thx for your time - have a nice day

o7

8 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Happy Monday, Tenno!

Glad you folks were able to agree with us on this.

I mean, there are many things that only be done to improve on the UI. I personally prefer something work well and work quickly. There has been plenty of attention to the eye candy now let's make it something you want to play in.

Your mobile app is significantly uglier but significantly easier and quicker to use than the in-game UI. In fact if I could sell items from the mobile app I'd never use the in-game inventory...

https://i.imgur.com/vNYQOYM.png

Thanks @[DE]RebeccaFor letting us know and... giving us more changes.

I love the new UI and the idea buuuut I will join other players here.

New UI looks cool, lacks functionality.

1. Billions of prime parts having identical icons... You just cant manage that.

2. To see ducats now... Idk how much time I spent to figure out how to look how many ducats I have (In Relay)

3. Sorting is just w-r-o-n-g! Just look at syndiciates reward tables, compare it to old ones from old UI and say it is better.

4. O ma gah Sorting icons are just tooo small. This icons you use to sort stuff like Weapons - Primes etc... Mouse Cursor is bigger than them!

5. I beg you for the love of mighty Vay Heck! Bring back this thing on ESC menu during mission where you can see teammates' equipment. Do I really have to touch every icon to check relic or weapon or anything? You had planty of space before... and there is still some place!

6. Decorating with new UI... Sorting messed up... my eyes ;-;

7. Select all button on fish? no? ok 😕

8. If you implemented the new UI you have to update all of the icon tho. Dont make (for example) Snipetron Vandal the same icon as normal Snipetron. What If I wanted to sell snipetron cuz I got vandal one and I could have sold Vandal one cuz Icons are the same?

---------------------------------------------------------

This is my feedback on new UI thanks ^_^

Also can you... work a little on Obstacle Architect Room in dojo crashing the game? Thanks 😘

10 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Here's the real question: Why didn't you (or the other devs) release some pictures/.gifs/videos to the players before-hand? You weren't keeping this part of the update a secret.

A large number of the flaws with this system are visible at first glance for many players. The Relic, Prime Parts, Weapon, Ducat Kiosk, and Baro inventories were instantly recognized as having missing functionality. The grids of identical icons with no defining factors that require mousing over every item to identify them is something that we players would have instantly picked up on and said 'no' to if there had been so much as a .gif uploaded to Twitter.

This, like many similar issues, would have been completely avoidable if you had asked the players, even in the slightest ways, before launching. I get that you (DE) like to do stuff your way first, then let the players help fix it, but if you aren't trying to keep something hidden/secret, then letting us have a functional peek would help prevent a lot of the problems that seem to stem from looking at things from a Dev PoV, instead of a Player PoV.

I'm not saying that you should lay all your cards on the table. I'm just saying that a little bit of player insight can go a long way in preventing issues like this one.

The best part about this is that (I think it was Steve but I could be wrong) had posted it on twitter screenshots of this new UI etc and gotten feedback about the lack of item names and the fact that icons look the same, he even replied to it saying that he liked it and linked 2 of his inspirations to the new UI (I didn't click the links but from the other comments they were both games where the items don't need names bc they were easily identifiable and all different I think it was Diablo and Minecraft, don't quote me) but yeah they had feedback and didn't listen the same thing happened with the whole cursor on console thing, they had plenty of feedback from pc tennis using a controller but it still shipped as a pile of hot garbage.