The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What happened to the proto gun skins that were to be part of the whole Relay rebuilding situation?

Lakais

What it says on the can. Whatever happened to those skins revealed basically a year ago? I don't remember DE saying anything more about them on Devstreams beyond that one time with them being made a part of Relay reconstruction and that there were to be a total of five skins. Did they say anything on the PrimeTimes about them? Scrapped them and hoped we forgot? 

Here's what they showed on that stream. 

b83d3h25xil01.jpg

9 minutes ago, Lakais said:

What it says on the can. Whatever happened to those skins revealed basically a year ago? I don't remember DE saying anything more about them on Devstreams beyond that one time with them being made a part of Relay reconstruction and that there were to be a total of five skins. Did they say anything on the PrimeTimes about them? Scrapped them and hoped we forgot? 

Here's what they showed on that stream. 

b83d3h25xil01.jpg

Yeah that was when they were showing off Hydroid Prime and showed both skins in the devstream. Mentioned 5 new proto skins. 3 beyond those. Which 1 of them was Volt Proto Skin, and that's out. Only 1 of the 5 that did get out. Where's those 2 right there, and the other 2?

I keep looking for them, but the Pyrus Project came up empty, and frankly, the year since Hydroid was previewed on stream, it's been pretty empty of information of these skins.

1 minute ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Considering what they're based on, they belong more than you think. That said, I recall they said they wanted to reward them through an event. Guess they haven't made the proper event yet they wanted to give them out in.

I forget where it was stated, may have been on Twitter, but it was going to be a reward for doing a relay construction event. They obviously must’ve changed that since the proto weapon skins were not the rewards.

I wouldn´t mind a few weapons that sport a look closer to real guns, just heavily "sci-fied" up, but these skins I have to agree, look a bit out of place in warframe.

Although they would be cool in some museum themed level or section of a level or laboratory that deals with archeological findings of pre orokin era.

while people may not agree with those skins, the truth is that some weapons stick around for a long, long time. to this day Sawn-off Shotguns are still used, typically by criminals, but used nonetheless. Double-Barreled Shotguns will always be around as they are made as sporting guns and there will always be some demand for those, and making a Sawn-off is just going to town on one with a hacksaw. I'm willing to bet that guns like the AKM will still be around in the far future, even if we start using energy weapons instead of Ballistics, the first foray into it will be on familiar ground.

yes, they are considered obsolete, and they arguably don't look as though they belong in the game. but the possibility of a Sawn-off or a semi-auto Pistol still being used after that many years is higher than you might think.

plus I was willing to rebuild a Bronco prime and reduce it's mag capacity to 2 just to accomodate the skin, because I love Sawn-offs. 

50 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

while people may not agree with those skins, the truth is that some weapons stick around for a long, long time. to this day Sawn-off Shotguns are still used, typically by criminals, but used nonetheless. Double-Barreled Shotguns will always be around as they are made as sporting guns and there will always be some demand for those, and making a Sawn-off is just going to town on one with a hacksaw. I'm willing to bet that guns like the AKM will still be around in the far future, even if we start using energy weapons instead of Ballistics, the first foray into it will be on familiar ground.

yes, they are considered obsolete, and they arguably don't look as though they belong in the game. but the possibility of a Sawn-off or a semi-auto Pistol still being used after that many years is higher than you might think.

plus I was willing to rebuild a Bronco prime and reduce it's mag capacity to 2 just to accomodate the skin, because I love Sawn-offs. 

Well yeah, of course the concept of sawn-off double barreled shotguns is going to still exist, as well they should, they're awesome. The problem is those skins in particular hardly fit Warframe's theme or aesthetic.

Take a Tigris, saw it short, and you've got a sawn-off double barrel shotgun that fits Warframe.

14 hours ago, Alcatraz said:

Mentioned 5 new proto skins. 3 beyond those. Which 1 of them was Volt Proto Skin, and that's out. Only 1 of the 5 that did get out. Where's those 2 right there, and the other 2?

I'm pretty sure the 5 Proto Skins were weapons only, with Proto Volt being separate.

So sad these are forgotten now. It'd be nice to have a skin that looks like an actual weapon, not fairy stick that literally couldn't fire.

I think DE missing HUGE opportunity here. They keep making those ridiculous huge and silly anime skins, but I'm 100% sure there are market for players who want something more down to earth.

I'd definately buy a M1 Garand-style skin for semi-auto rifles.

I'm glad they haven't made it in yet. I hope they clean them up a bit. Have them in universe updated for their original plans.

Other games have done similar. Like the sawed off in marathon, while basic had a clean futuristic style.

mtwo1.jpg&client=amp-blogside-v2&signatu

Didn't look like something from 1940.

Even though Dark Sector was modern era, it was supposedly near future than ww2 wasn't it?

11 hours ago, rapt0rman said:

Well yeah, of course the concept of sawn-off double barreled shotguns is going to still exist, as well they should, they're awesome. The problem is those skins in particular hardly fit Warframe's theme or aesthetic.

Take a Tigris, saw it short, and you've got a sawn-off double barrel shotgun that fits Warframe.

Thats why I don't like the Zarr. It looks as though it should be poking out the side of an 18th Century warship.

Also, although its not a sawn-off shotgun, wasn't the Zylok essentially meant to be a 1-handed shotgun?

Edited by FlusteredFerret

1 hour ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Thats why I don't like the Zarr. It looks as though it should be poking out the side of an 18th Century warship.

Also, although its not a sawn-off shotgun, wasn't the Zylok essentially meant to be a 1-handed shotgun?

Sawn-off lever action rifles are actually their own thing, often referred to as "mare's legs" which is where the name "Marelok" comes from for this guy:

220?cb=20140227055729

I really don't get the whole argument about "not fitting the Warframe art style" We already have candy cane skins for scythes! We can run around slicing people up with a giant stick of sugar but a gun that looks like modern gun and not a rotten baguette, Lego accident or a flintlock rifle doused in blue and gold is right out the window. If you don't like them, don't use them. Nothing wrong with having options and nothing is lost by having these skins. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that Warframe has its own weird designs and everything looks "different". But sometimes I want my gun to look actually functional and usable. I even don't use certain weapons simply because of how they look even if I would love to. This is why I was hoping for these skins (if ever released) to be more general purpose and not individual weapon specific. 

Considering these weapon skins were from the Dark Sector game I was hoping for that G36C type skin but most importantly, something that'd make my Ogris look like an actual rocket launcher/recoilless rifle. 

But on actual topic:

22 hours ago, Dante102 said:

They mentioned those skins in one of recent devstreams, the models and such are already done. Devs don't really know what event to ship it with, i guess.

Makes sense. Considering how this relay event was executed, the skins really couldn't of been released with it. And also with all the other stuff going on, these things would naturally be put in the backburner.