Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop - Cannot Cast in the Air: Friend or Foe?

SilverBones

YES, WE NEED THIS.

Trinity would greatly benefit of not being locked in position every time she cast. I'd say that skills that makes you go into a complete stop should be revised too. Not all, but some could use the extra mobility

The Rhino stomp in particular looks amazing. The Link from Trinity could use a bit of a change in the animation deparment: her legs look kinda like standing in the air with that cast

Yo, can you do it the other way too? Like, casting while walking? Cause seeing that Trinity animation reminded me why I use Loki's invisibility and Mirage's Hall of Mirrors only while in the air, cause using them on the ground stops my movement.

Still, great idea! Love that Rhino Stomp.

Yes please. Removing air cast restrictions from all abilities I think could do a world of good. Ultimately, I'd like abilities to have as few animation locks as possible, but this already could be a giant leap in the right direction imo. As someone who plays a ton of Trinity, I'm super excited at the prospect of being able to cast Link just like in the clip.

Maybe some skills get different treatment dependant on when you cast it on the ground or in the air?
Example: Oberon's hallowed ground can shoot a projectile that spreads hallowed ground on contact with a surface if you cast it in the air? Since i don't really see Oberon just wooshing to the ground to cast it or just summoning it from 50 feet up

This is a great change, many frames will enjoy the more fluid feel.

This certainly gives a lil bump to Natural Talent. I imagine that's going to be an interesting interaction for some frames.

I'm curious if changes to ability range math will be made. Isn't it a cylinder currently?

I've never had a problem with air-cast restrictions for things that made sense, only ones that didn't quite feel like they did (Stomp and Link are perfect examples, respectively). I'm an avid Rhino user, especially because of his Stomp, so if I need to use it I'm either on the ground or wall-latched and it's near reflexive for me. That being said, I'm not going to be bothered if it gets additional use-cases or effects (Heavy Impact passive buffing Stomp somehow when it would otherwise be triggered by the fall?). Other abilities getting similar treatments to either given example where applicable seems like a nice addition.

19 minutes ago, Godzelda123 said:

I think the Rhino stomp needs it's own custom animation if you let us use it from the air. The animation you showed here, almost looks like he's teleporting to the ground, which is a little jarring. 

Kinda the same with Trinity here, since her feet are totally flat and it looks like she's standing on nothing. But I like the idea! Just needs some fleshing out.

I agree with this
Rhino stomp and a few others should get some animation love or they'll look clunky and not really feel as fluid as the rest of the game

I love the idea. One thing to maybe keep in mind though is that Warframe is pretty bad at calculating range when things are elevated (either above or below). You can see this particularly with loot detector. It probably calculates 3 meters up and 4 meters across = 7 meters, instead of calculating the diagonal distance at 5 meters. I've noticed when I jump and use Volt's 4, it's much less effective than if I'm on the ground.

9 hours ago, [DE]Bear said:

This just makes him land to cast Stomp.

What if casting in air made Rhino to actually dive kick on to ground ?

In GIF he casts Stomp after he lands , what I want to see is we get stomp effect on landing.

Sounds great. I can't count how many times I couldn't cast Link due to not standing on the surface for some reason.

Maybe Mesa will also learn how to cast her 3/4 abilities on the run w/o restricting her movement, e.g. stopping everytime one casts Ballistic Battery :wink:

One can only hope.

I think this is a great idea from a gameplay standpoint, but I think this should be accompanied with new/adjusted animations to really sell the space ninja/aerial combat fantasy. A lot of powers that can already be cast midair make the warframe look like they're standing or hitting the ground while airborne, which is kind of a glaring visual flaw given how great Warframe's character animations usually are.

1 hour ago, [DE]Bear said:

Melee Rework: Phase 1 (which is still in progress)

Can we please get a post like this one about what is going on with Melee? I know it hasn't been that long since Phase 1 got released but DE has said nothing about the future of the system since then. The megathread is over 30 pages now and I think everyone who has posted there would appreciate some kind of direct response.

Back on topic, I'm fine with air casting as long as proper care is taken with animations for situations in which things look silly.

Tbh, The clip you showed with Rhino dropping to the ground and using the original Rhino Stomp animation looks really clunky. It's like he instantly ports to the ground and immediately does his original animation. Why can't he have a new animation where if he's in the air, he just does a big slam with his foot (like melee ground slam). It would make it look so much better!

Archived