Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are your hopes for Nightwave Season 2? (also Infested rant)

Zahnrad

(Just gonna point this out first, we're currently in an Intermission nightwave, not a full on nightwave, so think of Intermission like Nightwave 1.5)

With Nightwave Season 1 over and Season 2 seemingly just around the corner, what are your hopes or desires for Nightwave Season 2? I currently have two things I'm hoping to see.

• Infested Lore

From what infomation we've been given, Season 2 is going to revolve around the Infestation, the extent of which I have no idea beyond we were shown a shoulder accessory that will only be equippable on one shoulder, not both. Similar to the Grineer theme Provvok Shoulder Guard

My biggest complaint about the Infested as a faction, is they (in my opinion) are the most neglected faction in Warframe. From the time I joined Warframe in late 2014  (post Mutalist-Alad event) and currently, I feel I have learnt next to nothing on the Infested as a faction, in terms of biology, motives and goals. I consider the Infested to be smarter than they appear, potentially as smart as the Gravemind and Flood in general from the Halo games. Yet whenever we are given 1:1 dialogue with them it's always the same old "We are your flesh" lines, anything beyond that is explained by people trying to speak on the Infested's behalf or through mere speculation. I see the Infestation is one of the biggest sources of potential in the Warframe universe, yet as I've discussed with others, it's never treated as an intelligent or smart enemy.

Even in Infested oriented quests, events or scenarios it feels less about the Infested, and more about the Infested being used as a plot device or obstacle. The Infested are just sort of "there" while we're doing something around them. The most "Infested" scenario in Warframe was Jordas, and even that felt more like it was about Cephalons and Precepts than it was about the Infested taking over his mind.

Just look at Plague Star, the Infested don't even have a voice or dialogue in there. The Hemocyte is mute, and while it's the main problem, it's not treated as the higher entity it is. It merely exists as something we stop, to hurt Vay Hek and Protect Cetus from Vay Hek.

Cinematic questline story spoilers:

Spoiler

I'd argue the neglect is so bad, that the Sentients have become the new Infestation. The Sentients are immune to the Infestation, are a plague upon the system everyone is afraid of, and are literally "Infesting" its residents, such as turning Ballas into a grotesque abomination of his former self and disguising as Corpus with Regus as was revealed in the new Jupiter codex's

TL;DR, Give the perspective of the Infested please.

• First "Event" Infested weapon

Both Corpus and Grineer have Vandal and Wraith weapons respectively, making pre-existing weapons have superior variants of themselves. Tenno also have Primes. Yet the Infestation is lacking superior variations on its biochemical weaponry. I'd even suggest using the variation name of "Helminth", implying that it's the same weapon made the same way, but instead of average Technocyte biology, it uses the Helminth strain, a version that is stronger and helps the weapon provide.

e.g. Phage Helminth or Helminth Phage (can you tell I want a Phage upgrade?)

• Like 4

Honestly? I expect nothing. 
Lore is kinda forced and completely aside from the tasks. These have nothing to do with the lore itself. If it was tied then sure, that'd be cool, but it's just next idea how to use "oh so good RNG that we'll put it literally anywhere in our game".
Whole Nightwave is just another Syndicate with timegate. No more, no less.

• Like 3

I have been suggesting for a about year now that De adopt an Alien: Isolation game type as an introduction to that faction's assassin...I really enjoyed trying to get past the Golden Maw or the Berserker from Gears of War and various other boss monsters sniffing around for me while I took cover under anything I could from Turok's gatling gun T-rex to the Cyberdemon of Doom..there's just something fun about being chased...

I personally hope one day they introduce a Infested unit that you can't kill, but you instead have to do everything in your power to avoid detection by it...

You don't have to kill it...you have to survive it...Cat and Mouse game types are pretty fun especially when it goes full Indiana Jones with the giant boulder breathing down your neck...So I also feel the infested have a ton of unexplored potential in both lore and in providing very interesting units to be fought

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

When you start "expecting" things, your mind goes wild and whatever you end up with will never live up to what you had in mind. We all know that most features added in this game become a huge disappointment. The entire Nightwave thing just backfired in their face, same goes for the combat system changes and most events. 

I honestly don't get why they don't just reward nora/wolf creds whenever you complete a feat. Could give a fixed rate of 10 creds at least. By doing that, players can earn the cred offerings faster which is what it should have been when they replaced alerts. 

Alerts required you to complete a mission and would then give you the reward. The problem was it was random and required you to be at the right place at the right time. 

With night wave, you got a bunch of options, but it takes a lot of time to get the creds just for ONE item. As a result, it takes as long, if not longer, to get the rewards compared to alerts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

I have been hoping and suggesting for a about year now that De adopt a Alien: Isolation game type using the infested as an introduction to that faction's assassin...I really enjoyed trying to get past the Golden Maw or the Berserker from Gears of War and various other boss monsters sniffing around for me while I took cover under anything i could from Turok to the Cyberdemon of Doom..there's just something fun about being chased...

I personally hope one day they introduce a Infested unit that you can't kill, but you instead have to do everything in your power to avoid detection by it...

You don't have to kill it...you have to survive it...Cat and Mouse game types are pretty fun especially when it goes full Indiana Jones with the giant boulder breathing down your neck...I also feel the infested have a ton of unexplored potential in both lore and in providing very interesting units to be fought

Never liked situations were something is obviously kill-able but I am not allowed to kill it through contrived reasons. Golden Maw works because of the situation you are in, and the resources at your disposal, not the invulnerability of the construct. Similar for the Berserker in Gears, its only that normally infantry size weapons are ineffective against Berserker skin and this is true for enemies and players; they are killed instead by vehicle weapons or hammer of dawn weakening them enough to be eliminated or directly killed by the satellite laser. Nemesis from RE2 is often used as an example of this, but that creature actually is capable of being defeated if only temporarily the problem is that Nemesis mutates its form into more unstable mutations each time, while also being animated by an infection that essentially makes it so its cells can not self destruct, which causes the player to require weapons significantly bigger than the standard anti-zombie fare to finish off (at least to the point where its not chasing you for a while and the city gets nuked shortly after) in a story scenario.

Cat and mouse situations work when they are not occurring against what the setting deems some of the most destructive forces in the setting - mind that is without the warframes - while with the warframes most folk in setting view us as walking army killers. An infested its important to build up through its strengths; they are a combining of the still living but twisted in eternal pain and anguish bodies and minds of their component victims and our warframes are made of the same stuff. Mind, our warframes are not made from composite people like the standard infested, but its telling that infested bosses refer to the warframes as "we are of like flesh, why to defile us". and "empty hollow shells". These unified minds believe the infestation is a gift - as Mutalist Alad V was starting to believe, and a method of immortality which was probably given to them back in the Orokin Empire era, as a way of honoring the sacrifice of lower castes.

I agree that the Infested's story line lacks a lot of depth, there is certainly untapped potential there. I also agree with the idea of Helminth weapons, Pox Helminth would be my most wanted upgrade. 

As far as Nightwave goes, I actually enjoy it quiet a bit. Gives a long time player like myself something to do and keeps me stocked up on some "Evergreen" items as I have most of the other stuff. To be frank as long as there are items like Arcane Energize, Umbral and Aura Forma, I'm good to go and will complete 90%+ of the challenges. The exclusive cosmetics never hurt so keep those coming too please. 

• Like 3

The tier rewards, outside the creds being there are a fine idea mechanically for incentivizing the replacement for the old challenge system. Before challenges just gave a relatively small amount of affinity for completion per mission! I don't think the merging of the alert reward system with the Cred Store should have been merged in such a limited fashion to Nightwave's tier rewards.

my hope is that recovered challenges work right out the gate without having to relog and that there is more creds after max rank. because if the interlude is anything to foreshadow season 2, we are in for some dark times.

I hope we do not have a random drop-in assassin style boss.

I hope we work our way through a series of minibosses (unlocked at various rep cutoffs or "perform X nightwave contracts") that build up to the boss, who we only see at the end in a farmable mission. That's about it. I don't care about the rep rate or the rewards; I'm going to play the game anyway so if I get a little vig on the top, so much the better.

I have very little hope of my hopes becoming reality. I'm an optimist, but I'm not stupid

Edited by Ham_Grenabe
  • Like 4

The thing I want the most from the next season is a decent new Infested enemy, since they gave us fugitives and the wolf, brand new enemies is what I enjoyed the most from the NV , even if it's more of the same. But like OP said, they lack more lore and also are the most easy faction to deal with it.

I wish they come up with a new level of infestation where the host no longer becomes a monstrosity and instead, they keep their humanoid functions(just like... you know...), so that they can use weapons and maybe more powerful abilities. They should just make infested units that uses Mutalist/Infested type weapons, I think that would be cool.

Edited by CrazyDarkSonic

My hopes for nightwave?

That it DIAF while Scott  watches and sips beer finally commenting "yup, it's for the better", then he turns around and pats me on the shoulder admitting people who disliked NW were right all along. And Clem

On a serious note, I hope they remove the "use 3 forma" and "gild something" challenge. That is not challenge, it's asking players to waste time and resources.

Edited by Olphalarepth

51 minutes ago, LameoveR said:

why you people are so sirius about Nightwave? It gives you what alerts given - nitain, your precious drug.

If you want to take it like that, ok, but let people talk about it if they want to

7 minutes ago, Olphalarepth said:

"gild something" challenge. That is not challenge, it's asking players to waste time and resources.

welp. all the game is about time wasting, no? all the challenges are about "time wasting". go there and do this.

if you're still not polarized your warframes or weaps - it's good time to "waste" a forma in those "challenges". it took me 2 days, cuz i had only one forma and in need to farm 2 more forma BPs and during this farm i've got some prime parts i sold for ~170plat. 

if you've already polarized all your frames and weaps - then 3 more polarization won't make any difference.

i don't even talk about "gilding" - 5k rep? pfft

Edited by LameoveR

I want a complete overhaul of Nora's dialogue so what she says directly correlates to the task completed. No more vague, lazy, generic lines about being badass or the equal of our foes. I absolutely hate Nora and how disconnected the tasks, the rewards, and herself all are from each other.

3 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

I have been suggesting for a about year now that De adopt an Alien: Isolation game type as an introduction to that faction's assassin...I really enjoyed trying to get past the Golden Maw or the Berserker from Gears of War and various other boss monsters sniffing around for me while I took cover under anything I could from Turok's gatling gun T-rex to the Cyberdemon of Doom..there's just something fun about being chased...

You don't have to kill it...you have to survive it...Cat and Mouse game types are pretty fun especially when it goes full Indiana Jones with the giant boulder breathing down your neck...So I also feel the infested have a ton of unexplored potential in both lore and in providing very interesting units to be fought

Yeah I dont see that happening or working well.

3 hours ago, LameoveR said:

welp. all the game is about time wasting, no? all the challenges are about "time wasting". go there and do this.

if you're still not polarized your warframes or weaps - it's good time to "waste" a forma in those "challenges". it took me 2 days, cuz i had only one forma and in need to farm 2 more forma BPs and during this farm i've got some prime parts i sold for ~170plat. 

if you've already polarized all your frames and weaps - then 3 more polarization won't make any difference.

i don't even talk about "gilding" - 5k rep? pfft

Yes it does, if your reason is that I play a game just to "waste time" think again, I do it as a trade off. My time for fun. I invest my time, I do not waste it and if that is how you see the game please speak for yourself

I have already polarized what I need/want and not going to bother with a time sink I don't like. The "challenges" are already what they are and that kind of chore is more alienating than anything else for vets. There is stuff to earn, I get it and I'm not backing off but I'm not going to become a no life grinder only because DE can't come up with decent ways to engage my attention.

It was fun to gild everything there was to gild, it was fun polarizing stuff 10, 100, 1000 times for stuff I wanted. The game has very few things that can keep me interested right now and the brand new nightwave is the worst thing I have ever experienced in it. Obviously I don't want to force my opinion but the reasons i have already listed (and many other people have already shared similar feelings) should be take as feedback by DE. Hopefully they learned from it but I have no problem deserting next NW too until something engaging pops up.

I really hope next NW will be better but I'm not going to hold my breath