Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternate gendered skins?

This is a pretty old topic, and you're about to get a lot of "Oh look, it's this thread again" / "Why don't you look at the other 9999 threads about this" types of responses.

DE has considered it before (and Warframes were originally intended to have male/female options, which you can see in one of the earliest trailers for the game), but in the end they'd have to do 2x the modeling and rigging for each frame. Which is a lot of extra work for not-a-lot of payoff.

Female Excalibur still kind of exists in the form of Nyx (default skin).

Edited by SortaRandom
  • Like 5

Not only did DE find that double the work wasn't worth it, but I think over time Warframes have become more akin to Characters than just Suits of Armor, especially with Excalibur Umbra. Therefore, allowing gender-swapping could detract from the 'character', at least I'd feel.

Plus, they'd have to go back and make an alternate gender skin for every Warframe, including Deluxes, and quite frankly, that's a ton of work with little potential for payoff. I personally think we're alright without this feature.

Edited by Krion112
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, SortaRandom said:

This is a pretty old topic, and you're about to get a lot of "Oh look, it's this thread again" / "Why don't you look at the other 9999 threads about this" types of responses.

DE has considered it before (and Warframes were originally intended to have male/female options, which you can see in one of the earliest trailers for the game), but in the end they'd have to do 2x the modeling and rigging for each frame. Which is a lot of extra work for not-a-lot of payoff.

Female Excalibur still kind of exists in the form of Nyx (default skin).

Well, it's actually easy.

Just slap two balls on the chest, or two balls down below. Done /s

7 minutes ago, Renegade343 said:

Well, it's actually easy.

Just slap two balls on the chest, or two balls down below. Done /s

I dunno, Ivara with a set of bollocks sounds great and all, but amounts to not much, since players would only really notice the change upon close inspection, which nobody really does anyway

it's a lot of development for very little payoff.

I'd be fine with it, but it's too costly from a development standpoint, and they'd have to do this for EVERY frame, plus every new frame would have to be made twice. would be cool if Tennogen creators could gender-swap, but they have to use the original mesh of the Warframe, so that's not gonna happen.

gender of the frame isn't important, and gender is a non-factor in the context of battle. female frames kill just as efficiently as male frames. a frame should be judged on their kit, if they be judged on anything at all.

• Like 1

It's something that was once considered in the absolute earliest days of the game (pre alpha?). But interesting to know besides Nyx being an alternate Excalibur Ember was originally male and there were some old concepts of Ash showing them as female.

However while they have dismissed the idea of alt-gendered versions of frames they have considered alt-gendered versions of the same theme. So instead of Saryn but male we'd get a male frame based on toxins/plants but with entirely different abilities and appearance. Assuming of course they ever intend to act on that idea.

Edited by trst
  • Like 1

I mean as others have noted it'd probably be a bit extensive as a base thing, but I wouldn't say no to it as a deluxe/purchasable skin series. Would certainly be a fun cosmetic addition, and it isn't like DE are deadset against it or anything (clearly wanted it to be the way originally, and rebecca definitely seems a fan of it as of late)

maybe we can get an og blaze skin for some high level throwback feels. 

• Like 3

If DE allowed this in TennoGen, that would be a lot of profit for very little effort, and if the argument of "gender isn't important" is brought up, then it also is unimportant if someone wants to change said gender. 

Only reason I can see for this not already being a thing is it doesn't fit DE's visual direction. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

it's a lot of development for very little payoff.

I'd be fine with it, but it's too costly from a development standpoint, and they'd have to do this for EVERY frame, plus every new frame would have to be made twice. would be cool if Tennogen creators could gender-swap, but they have to use the original mesh of the Warframe, so that's not gonna happen.

gender of the frame isn't important, and gender is a non-factor in the context of battle. female frames kill just as efficiently as male frames. a frame should be judged on their kit, if they be judged on anything at all.

Could always just sell the gender variants to make up for that "very little payoff", would certainly knock that concern down a few pegs. And it wouldn't be the most difficult of endeavors to pursue since they already would have a fairly strong visual concept/design for it from the get go. 

I just don’t see the point... but apparently the demand, no matter how small, exists.

DE has to weigh development time versus demand. They could outsource to Tennogen artists if they allowed them to make changes to the mesh, but I highly doubt it would ever happen.

Gender is really not that important.

15 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Normally I play a female character because aesthetically that's preferable to me, but I can't imagine ever wanting to be a female Wukong. 

That just feels wrong.

You can't be Wukong without the Wud*your access to ingame chat has been suspended*

13 minutes ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

We can already freely swap animation sets and skins.  And its purely visual.

I can already slap the opposite gender animations on a frame.

So how does making a few skins the opposite gender require vast amounts of work from de.

They have to change the mesh of the skin.  Which, from my limited understanding, is labor intensive because it's not purely cosmetic. 

Also, they have to go through and rig the armor to each Warframe to prevent excessive clipping, so that would double their workload.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

We can already freely swap animation sets and skins.  And its purely visual.

I can already slap the opposite gender animations on a frame.

So how does making a few skins the opposite gender require vast amounts of work from de.

An animation can be slapped onto any model that has the correct animation "bones", since pretty much all bipedal humanoids in Warframe have the same bones, switching animations between them is relatively easy.

Also those animations have already been made, reusing assets is not the same thing as making new assets, and animation is not the same thing as 3d modeling. And on that note.... 40 models for 40 Warframes is not a "few".

Edited by rapt0rman
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

An animation can be slapped onto any model that has the correct animation "bones", since pretty much all bipedal humanoids in Warframe have the same bones, switching animations between them is relatively easy.

Also those animations have already been made, reusing assets is not the same thing as making new assets, and animation is not the same thing as 3d modeling. And on that note.... 40 models for 40 Warframes is not a "few".

Why not let the tennogen folks create genderswap skins. Then people can just freely select the animation sets as they please. 

De wouldn't have to dump much effort into it on their part. Much of the work would be done by the game communities right?

Clipping and such are not new.  Wisp is a prime example of clipping because of her design.

Edited by (PS4)Kakurine2
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

They have to change the mesh of the skin.  Which, from my limited understanding, is labor intensive because it's not purely cosmetic. 

Also, they have to go through and rig the armor to each Warframe to prevent excessive clipping, so that would double their workload.

Yup. A female variant would need a completely different build. 

And even if they just reshape the original skin that's still a lot of work. If it works that is.

Simply because rigging is a lot of work. That's why a lot of studios search for 3D rig makers. Not many ppl want to do it.

11 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Yup. A female variant would need a completely different build. 

And even if they just reshape the original skin that's still a lot of work. If it works that is.

Simply because rigging is a lot of work. That's why a lot of studios search for 3D rig makers. Not many ppl want to do it.

Isn't alot of that already being done via tennogen content? People take the mesh and change it. Put it up for vote.  De says yes or no.

Most of the mesh/rigging is done by the tennogen artist. De just fine toons it after its approved.  Then they sell it for profits and the artist gets paid to.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So couldn't players do most of the work needed to make genderswap skins, meshes, rigs, etc.  Then players slap whatever animations they want on.

Clipping happens with all frames already.

Edited by (PS4)Kakurine2