Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel Discussion and Feedback

MisterCheshire

I was in the middle of a mission when they were talking about "Meatball" I find it really funny tbh. I'm sure the community enjoys the name. That being said, sometimes you've just gotta roll with the punches. If meatball is what the community decides to call it, that's probably what it will be. I'm still super new at the game so I don't know how that will work, but I think he should just roll with it and be happy the community loves the creation. 

On 2019-07-23 at 2:16 AM, MisterCheshire said:

Anyone have any thoughts on what Grendel’s abilities will be? Past the ability to eat bullets, shields and enemies, I haven’t heard much.

i did notice that in the concept art, that one of the frames was slightly larger than the others. One of the abilities might be a “burst” ability where Grendel releases all the energy that it’s eaten. As such, the frame might grow or shrink depending on how much they’ve eaten.

8rJRbhX.gif
That's my theory in one of his abilities

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lutesque said:

I wonder what made them change their minds...

Likely something like "Oh crud, we have nothing that is releasing from now until Empyrean, better make more Disruption missions and put Gauss there to stall for time".

I really dunno if anyone working on the character will ever see this, probably not, i really hope at least someone on the team gives it a read though.

I recently came across some footage of Grendel Gameplay and thought it was looking pretty good, the design was giving some FMA Brotherhood vibes with the whole "Gluttony mouth of doom in the stomach" and it was blended into the whole "ninja" theme by having him act out some sumo-like animations. overall pretty unique character aethetically for us to use in comparison to the line-up of warframes so far.

The only part of the character that urked me was the mobility of his meatball ability where he rolls around and eats enemies. It seemed like the mobility was absolutely great in planes of eidolon where there are countless hills to build up speed and launch off of but when the gameplay switched to the procedural generated tilesets the mobility appeared to be severly lacking, to the point where an extremly entertaining ability on the planes looked very tedious and irritating to use on the tilesets.

The Movement while this ability was active reminded me of a game i used to play on Xbox made by RARE called Kameo: Elements of Power. More Specifically a character from the game called "Major Ruin" which was some sort of spiked armadillo that could roll around and impale enemies on the spikes. I think the dynamics of how that character was controlled would greatly benefit the "fun factor" of Grendel's gameplay. If at any point the dev team working on Grendel are struggling with making his mobility more rewarding and fun in enviroments without the hills and cliffs i think they'd benefit greatly by looking into the mobility of this major ruin character and drawing insperation from how he moves and is controlled.

4 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

My honest opinion?

This wannabe-Kirby is a disaster. A waste of time and money. A bad joke. A waste of space.

Don’t like him? Don’t play him, simple as that.

Then again you are likely trolling so I won’t respond further.

I hope DE keeps “Grendel’s Space Program” with his 3 when he goes live.

• Like 1

Honestly i'm more hyped for Grendel then I am for Gauss.

Highlights for me are being able insta kill either a specific enemy or a handful of enemies.

The buffs seem pretty good considering they are an aoe buff that applies to allies.  That means both you and your friends can spread toxin everywhere just by being shot at.  And limiting his energy buff to orbs seems smart.  Will probably stack with zenurik and energize.  So he shouldn't have any energy problems.  Which again is smart.  Since you won't be taking damage when you have enemies in your belly.  So you won't have a constant stream of traditional rage energy like most other tanky frames.  You'll have to manage that through pick ups and spitting enemies out.

Launching enemies out as toxic projectiles seems pretty cool too.  But hopefully the damage is true damage or a % of an enemies max health.  Otherwise it won't be as great.  And even if it does that still leaves me with  wondering about his sustain.  Him not taking damage 90% of the time is a big part of that.  But you seemingly can't have enemies in you forever due to them draining your energy.  Which means when you're forced to spit enemies out I guess the armor buffs help.  but he still has no traditional way built in his kit for health gain.  I suppose while you have enemies in you using life strike for free health is a thing.  But ehhh.  There really should be some way to restore health.  To me what would be most natural would either be on consuming enemies for buffs or when you kill enemies that you've spit out in a short time frame.

The only iffy thing i'm on about is the consuming thing itself.  The way it's worded it sounds like you get to pick both the enemy and the buff when you consume instead of titania's situation where it's enemy dependent.  That seems a little tedious to sit there and fumble with what enemies to consume and picking the buff.  Like I know you're basically invincible when you have enemies inside you.  But it still seems like a big ask to have someone sit there and pick.  And consuming only takes one enemy at a time right?  If there is no cap how are you going to manage this?  Idk.  I like the idea.  but at least from what's explained it seems very complicated.  Maybe i'm just not understanding something.

The only other thing is meatball.  I get it's novelty.  I just don't understand it's purpose besides mobile eating on the go for on the go missions.  I don't think any of his other abilities are usable in ball form.  So i'm struggling to figure out how to use it in my head.  I do think it's neat that the enemies he consumes still drops loot on the field for people.

Overall I like DE's current approach to frames where they go with creative/out there ideas that make things fun/novel and are less concerned about making sure something is meta.  Wisp can be meta.  but overall her unique tool kit allows for variety in how she plays and isn't a must pick for anything.  Gauss seems to be a cc based frame that has a unique way to enable dps and cc for him and his allies.  He fast too.  Grendel looks like a dot frame with survival sprinkled in with a cool format.  He's basically giving me inaros vibes but without being boring like inaros.

9 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

RIP any defense of Revenant potentially?

Ehhh. Yes and no. Grendels insta kill will be far easier to do since it won't require modding. They both cc enemies differently so it'll probably depend on mission type on which one is preferable. 

If enemies take all the damage instead of Grendel then id say that's better in most situations compared to mesmer skin. Mesmer skin only being preferable at that point versus boss based enemies. 

Revenant will obviously do better aoe damage with his beams. But yeah. I can see an argument for Grendel replacing revenant for most situations. The niche situations being when you'd benefit from having ai buddies is where revenant would be picked specifically over Grendel. And potentially better map based cc with his pillars turning enemies. 

But that's basically it. 

@(XB1)Knight Raime that doesn't sound right... it doesn't say that Grendel will take no damage when he has enemies in his gut. It just says that the enemies inside will also receive damage, that Grendel himself takes. Plus the passive grants him more armor per eaten foe...

Which means Rage is perfectly viable with him being an Armor tank.

Also, I saw that Eximus can be swallowed and carried around. Please prevent their auras from affecting nearby teammates but still happen on Grendel himself to prevent trolling.

Edited by PsiWarp

27 minutes ago, PsiWarp said:

@(XB1)Knight Raime that doesn't sound right... it doesn't say that Grendel will take no damage when he has enemies in his gut. It just says that the enemies inside will also receive damage, that Grendel himself takes. Plus the passive grants him more armor per eaten foe...

Which means Rage is perfectly viable with him being an Armor tank.

Also, I saw that Eximus can be swallowed and carried around. Please prevent their auras from affecting nearby teammates but still happen on Grendel himself to prevent trolling.

I mean. It would make more sense that way yeah. But it just seems odd to have them take damage as well. Like I don't see the appeal in that if they're not giving you some damage midigation. 

Sure they do sort of with armor. But armor tanks themselves are not super great. And Grendel has no way to heal. If it was a Nidus situation where a portion of the damage is forced to the enemies and Grendel himself only takes a portion of the damage then that would be much better. But if Grendel takes full damage in addition to his enemies it seems pointless for them to even take damage when Grendel himself can just insta delete the enemies inside. 

nourish needs to have some sort of basic health regen buff in addition to the unique buff, considering his damage to enemies he's eaten requires him to take the damage himself as well as the enemies inside instead of it mitigating it for him, enemy health is so much higher than warframe health that youll have to die dozens of times for that to even mean anything more than novelty unless he can heal somehow, plus eating something healing you is a gaming trope so why not have it as a feature for the Big Eater of warframe

4 hours ago, Aldain said:

Likely something like "Oh crud, we have nothing that is releasing from now until Empyrean, better make more Disruption missions and put Gauss there to stall for time".

LoL... doubt it was that simple.... they have Lazier ways of stalling for time.... like Dog Days... 

19 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

LoL... doubt it was that simple.... they have Lazier ways of stalling for time.... like Dog Days... 

Actually a much easier explanation is if they release both together now, when it comes time to prime them, it's gonna be a bunch of people arguing over who should be primed first and some will say both should be primed at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Xepthrichros said:

Actually a much easier explanation is if they release both together now, when it comes time to prime them, it's gonna be a bunch of people arguing over who should be primed first and some will say both should be primed at the same time.

That seems even less likely... :O

But I wouldn't rule it out....

i'm going to be far to distracted rolling around then to actually do anything in missions physics base things really entertain me prolly build just for meatball so i can maximise rolling around like a blob and any progress or assistance i give to a mission will purely be accidental as im not paying attention to anything else other then make ball go and make ball eat things 

• Like 1

Thinking about if Grendel can cast his other powers in Meatball mode, maybe they can help his mobility somehow.

Feast - still eats targets from a distance and barf out stomach contents.

Nourish - when cast, causes Grendelball to leap much higher than a basic jump.

Regurgitate - instead of launching the enemy, it launches Grendel in that direction. The enemy is still vomited out behind you. So basically he farts and rockets away.