The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How I would rework Magnetic damage

(PSN)ChaosTheNerd

Magnetic proc right now is probably the worst status effect to use in the game right now (aside from electricity on its own)  I have a few ideas of how i would rework magnetic dmg as a whole so here it is.

Enemies hit by a magnetic proc will cause the magnetized enemy to attract other enemies and group all them together.

When enemies of 2 or more are grouped up, dmg from weapon is increased when attacking the grouped up enemies. This would go nicely with fire getting reworked as having their armor melted and then grouping them up and taking more dmg from mag procs would be very beneficial.

But these are just my dumb thoughts  share your ideas below.

Nah, make magnetic procs strip enemy armor too /s.

It'd be nice if magnetic procs have effects like weapon jamming , ability ( eximi auras etc ) distruption or attracting enemies towards each other.

Edited by Aeon94
  • Like 7

Add that it makes the enemies slow down as they are being pulled to the ground and walls. This gives magnetized foes less accurate shots as well since their guns now have added pull and weight and sights are now going bonkers for the effect.

This would effect us as well to have our parkour slowed and muzzled some as well.

Also make it that when Mag gets around magnetized foes, she can control them and her powers get added power strength against them

1 hour ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

Magnetic proc right now is probably the worst status effect to use in the game right now

The reason it's the worst is because shields are designed badly.

If shields mattered, Magnetic would matter.

51 minutes ago, Aeon94 said:

It'd be nice if magnetic procs have effects like weapon jamming , ability ( eximi auras etc ) distruption

I could get behind that, though. Especially the idea of disrupting Eximus powers. We need to have some way to counter them.

Oh wait, what if Magnetic caused enemies to damage themselves upon attacking?

Edited by DrakeWurrum

In all honesty, Magnetic damage type shouldn't even be a thing because magnetism alone doesn't hurt. All the other damage types make sense while Magnetic simply doesn't. As damage type it only has bonus against shields, and the status proc is only significant on our Warframes, energy loss + screen disruption, while it doesn't have a relevant effect whatsoever on enemy units because their shields doesn't matter. Cold + Electricity should make another damage type.

5 hours ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

Magnetic proc right now is probably the worst status effect to use in the game right now (aside from electricity on its own)  I have a few ideas of how i would rework magnetic dmg as a whole so here it is.

Enemies hit by a magnetic proc will cause the magnetized enemy to attract other enemies and group all them together.

When enemies of 2 or more are grouped up, dmg from weapon is increased when attacking the grouped up enemies. This would go nicely with fire getting reworked as having their armor melted and then grouping them up and taking more dmg from mag procs would be very beneficial.

But these are just my dumb thoughts  share your ideas below.

There's already a "Magnetic" effect in the game that causes bullets to home in on that target, but it's rarely used. I'd love to see the regular Magnetic status effect replaced with that.

A clumping effect would be nice. Give them a ferrox-esque pull effect for the duration of the proc. The damage type itself would still be of questionable utility, but at least the proc would bring something interesting to the table.

I've always liked the idea of Magnetic procs either jamming weapons, or reducing enemy accuracy. So long as it's magnetism negatively affecting their weaponry, either making the gun malfunction or sending bullets flying astray. How come Zephyr can make bullets fly away from her wind, but Mag can't with magnetism?

But as others said, shields need a fix-up as well. Magnetism would be more useful if shields were more durable. Magnetism's problem is that it's only good against shields, and weak against Grineer armor, and you can't really afford to use something that's weak against Grineer armor most of the time.

1 minute ago, Renegade343 said:

Like that X-Men movie involving Magneto attacking a military base: The soldiers against him were all not using metal, including bullets.

I was thinking more of Metal Gear Solid 2 where a character uses a very powerful personal magnetic field generator that deflects bullets and jams grenades.

1 hour ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

I've always liked the idea of Magnetic procs either jamming weapons, or reducing enemy accuracy. So long as it's magnetism negatively affecting their weaponry, either making the gun malfunction or sending bullets flying astray. How come Zephyr can make bullets fly away from her wind, but Mag can't with magnetism?

But as others said, shields need a fix-up as well. Magnetism would be more useful if shields were more durable. Magnetism's problem is that it's only good against shields, and weak against Grineer armor, and you can't really afford to use something that's weak against Grineer armor most of the time.

It's often difficult to use a damage type that's good against shields, when you can instead use a damage type that ignores them completely. Magnetic has the further disadvantage that once it clears the shield off, the enemy still has health you need to destroy, which magnetic doesn't excel at. For magnetic to be good even on a conceptual level, shields either need a big mechanical redesign, or magnetic needs to be good at destroying health, too. Slash procs and toxin damage bypassing shields entirely is just almost always better than doing a lot of damage to the first chunk of someone's effective HP (the shield), then being crappy against the rest. Hell, even viral procs are often more useful and universally applicable than anything that nukes shields specifically.

5 hours ago, Gr1mwlf said:

There's already a "Magnetic" effect in the game that causes bullets to home in on that target, but it's rarely used. I'd love to see the regular Magnetic status effect replaced with that.

But Void is the magnetic status, you can't have Magnetic taking its turf! /s

Weapon / Robotics jamming would be sweet, indeed.

Not least, Mag's Counter Pulse Augment would then actually just inflict Magnetic procs (with a custom duration I guess).

Like, can you imagine that? Mag causing Mag procs? What a wild world that would be.

• Like 1