Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Elite Shield Lancer - literally "impenetrable shield"

Mephane

I uh, I don't like this. That seems very bad for a mook enemy to have the power to deny punchthrough.

In fact, I can't think of anything else off hand that just denies Punch Through.

I've always liked shield lancers as they were cause they presented a unique challenge at low level that you could use skill to surpass (mobility, jump kick, aoe abilities, Mag Rip their shields), it was equally nice to cross the threshold of not needing to do it, by either modding punchthrough, the mods that SPECIFICALLY SHOW ON THE MOD AS A COUNTER TO SHIELD LANCERS, or bigger warframe abilities. Punchthrough is a relatively uncommon perk as is, and fairly inexpensive to mod, and shield lancers are a bit too common and unfun to play against without otherwise. Cause getting shield slammed is, amusing maybe once, but having 3 or 5 different lancers all charging at you to do so with no answer to it is, ugh.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VentiGlondi said:

Ramparts.

I also realized nullifiers a little after posting but didn't feel like tweaking

Things people generally find unfun and wish were never added to the first place, and generally 'avoid' unless forced to engage. Other differences include:

Ramparts are, immobile, past rotating. (which they can turn on a dime for the enemies for some reason)

Nullifiers are big, loud, distinct and kinda niche. They're a counter to high power weapons by design, forcing to snipe their drone or just daka the shield away, or let yourself get debuffed to run and melee the dood. They also rarely come in sets larger than 2. All this aside, no one thinks 'oh neat, a nullifier' when they see one.

So Yeah, not a great track record of 'liked things that are immune to punchthrough.'

an enemy that you actually have do more than just shoot it???

*shot bramma at it*

nope

on a serious note can you imagine if there's a rare enemy formation with 8 of these shield lancers and one frost eximus bombard in middle??

lancer

lancer                  lancer

lancer        bombard         lancer

lancer

• Like 4

I noticed that Elite Shield Lancers can't shield-bash you compared to their normal counterpart along with moving slower due to the heavier shield. More importantly, their Tonkors retain the safety aim feature where the grenade would only arm after a certain distance. So while the impact of the grenade deals damage, the grenade won't detonate.

13 hours ago, Renegade343 said:

So hold on, it can fire a Tonkor in one hand and carry a shield in the other?

Can we have Twin Tonkor then please?

I'd just be happy to be able to equip a melee shield and one handed gun, and run around being the Cetus Riot Police.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, VentiGlondi said:

Ramparts.

Bursas too.  And it's just stupid on all of them.  Seriously my Fluctus can blow through an armored spaceship the size of a small house.  How is this dude's shield doing crap against it?

Edited by zuraja
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Zekkii said:

Shields only really hinder people who aim and shoot.  These guys are going to go down in droves to all the AoE/wave clearing abilities that everyone uses.

15 hours ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

This made me laugh. It's so Warframe: "Aiming is not a recommended strat." 

7 hours ago, _Urakaze_ said:

an enemy that you actually have do more than just shoot it???

*shot bramma at it*

nope

on a serious note can you imagine if there's a rare enemy formation with 8 of these shield lancers and one frost eximus bombard in middle??

lancer

lancer        bombard         lancer

lancer

2 hours ago, Wakata said:

heh i am mostly using kuva chadhurr these days so i didnt even know they are impenetrable, that thing just blast them away.

I guess I should tell DE they should make this shielder to be immune to AoE damage from the front then

19 hours ago, Zekkii said:

Shields only really hinder people who aim and shoot.  These guys are going to go down in droves to all the AoE/wave clearing abilities that everyone uses.

I disagree because  it actually makes you aim for their head to headshot them to kill them instantly or that could just be me.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't have a problem with these guys if it wasn't because their tonkor has like 4 rounds, they can shoot pretty fast for a heavy unit and also deal way more damage than a Bombard and a Napalm, it's just tank your way through them or die and that's not challenging at all, it's just dumb.

With the bombards you already cannot even dodge the rockets because those things are so slow and have a massive arc that allows them to follow you everywhere, now we have the Elite Shield Lancer which is not a homing projectile, but an extremely quick one that you cannot predict. (It would be nice to have like a small warning at least, like a laser coming from the gun and it charges like the Ballistica's vulkar if they plan on keeping the high damage)

One of these guys can even one shot the oplink in scarlet spear if you let him see the thing for a nanosecond.

We need more enemies that have mechanics like this. The knockdown made them even more difficult, which is what this game needs. It's a shame they removed it. We need more enemies that have difficulty outside of just being bullet sponges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, z3us32610 said:

We need more enemies that have mechanics like this. The knockdown made them even more difficult, which is what this game needs. It's a shame they removed it. We need more enemies that have difficulty outside of just being bullet sponges.

Like anything with a challenge there will be whiners and DE seems to like to listen to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AzureTerra said:

Like anything with a challenge there will be whiners and DE seems to like to listen to them.

Were they supposed to be challenging? Many warframes 1 ability will knock down or disrupt an Elite Shield Boy to let you easily shoot them. I see one and I just pull, or spellbind, or banish...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, z3us32610 said:

The game is actually full of enemies with mechanics that can challenge us. Problem is when those mechanics challenge us, people don't like it and they get nerfed to the point you forget that different enemies actually do different things. 

There was actually a time when you had to play attention to rollers. Yes, rollers were once a CC unit for the enemy. 

• Like 3

I think they're cool.  Of course, they'd be even cooler in a game that didn't already actively encourage killing things with AoE so much. 

Anyway, whatever, that's a meta-problem.  In the meantime, I just want to be able to shoot these guys with my Veldt through the little windows at the tops of their shields.

2 hours ago, realmzjetter said:

Were they supposed to be challenging? Many warframes 1 ability will knock down or disrupt an Elite Shield Boy to let you easily shoot them. I see one and I just pull, or spellbind, or banish...

Don't know, i certainly have never felt challenged by them but the point i make is a general one. If there is something then the Major whines squad will see to it that its put away for being unfun.