Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scarlet Disappointment

z3us32610

This event has been out two weeks and now I feel I can make a fair assessment about it. 

I've been playing the ground assault mainly and when I can get a full squad (or even just one other player) I enjoy the gameplay for the most part. The sentients get pretty tough towards the end and unless there's a Limbo, ya gotta pay attention to the enemies rolling in. So there's progression there with some challenge towards the end, and I like that.

My overall impression of the event is of disappointment, however. I almost exclusively play in the middle of the night on the west coast and I can rarely get a team together. This event is very unfriendly for solo play, especially because it just takes much longer to upload the kill codes.

And now, just before this post, I ran a full squad 17 condrix ground assault, but my HUD locked at 29% uplink status on condrix 14. We had completed 13 for 2457 points (thats what my HUD showed).

Well that's all I received for points on that run.

So a solo unfriendly, timegated event that disincentivizes playing whenever a person wants to/can. Not been one of my favorite events so far. The fact that the rewards are old stuff makes it more disappointing. There was one new weapon, and a variant on an old one, then some cosmetic stuff.

Even if more rewards are added later on, it doesn't change my opinion about the credit earning mechanics of the event. 

And I have mostly enjoyed the recent stuff from DE. I maxed my railjack out and had fun doing it. I'm still playing the lich system even after getting all the weapons, 8 of them maxed at 60% and all the ephemeras. After they reworked the liches, that has been one of my favorite gameplay loops.

But this event has me disappointed. I hope the continuation of the new war isn't disappointing as well. 

Edited by z3us32610
  • Like 20

I did a couple of runs only with a mesa(I'm the limbo) for a little over 20 min(the best was 20 min but with two mesas and two limbos)
So if you are in a situation to play only at a certain time and there is no one just friend someone with a good mesa(or limbo if you are the mesa) and coordinate to play at the same time.
Solo is doable too(I did it 1-2 times with limbo) but it takes considerable amount of time even with my setup(exodia, good riven etc), because I have to manually kill the little sentients between the stages and the upload takes longer.
But with 2 or 3 people with the proper gear it takes an average of 23-25 min for the full 17.

• Like 2

well, I'm enjoying it, and I usually play solo, but I find that there's this weird sense of "community" or whatever you want to call it, when you know you're part of a massive team of players spread across the game all working to the same goal. PuG games are still risky of course, but since most people are all after the same thing, you can usually work together well. plus events like these are intentionally geared towards multiplayer, so you would be at a disadvantage solo no matter what.

the full 17 Condrix ground run I did last night was intense and fun: I would've hated the idea of a public game fighting level 200 Sentients any other time, but it actually felt good. dunno whetehr it's the rewards, or the appeal of a time-limited event, or if I'm simply going mad due to quarantine, but so far, no complaints.. well, other than WHY CAN'T I USE THE FRONT GUNS ON MY RAILJACK WHEN CARRYING THE DAMN OPLINK SATELLITE? that's really annoying, and the scoring system could have been simplified, but that's about it.

• Like 1

I have definitely had fun in the event and achieved a ton of stuff from it. But yea making it completely dependent on squad-link to progress was not a very smart decision. 

But on the other hand this is pretty much a first beta for the squad-link mechanics (or more like pre-alpha, lol), so the statistics and feedback is important for future content.

• Like 5

I haven't played Railjack or Scarlet Spear.  Just coming up on 550 days in Warframe and I'm not interested in solo-penalized events.  Yes, I play with groups when I have to - Nightwave, for example - but it's usually much less engaging than the solo play.  No offense to other players, I just have a lot of problem with host migrations and lag.

There's plenty of other content that I can do solo.  I feel like DE are moving towards trying to nerf that (e.g. recent changes to healing) but it just means people will engage less overall and they won't make as much money, so they'll eventually learn not to do it.

• Like 2

It was going to determine if I came back to this game or not and yeah, the changes and then this. I stopped wanting to play and just check out the forums to see if it's going to get even worse or not. Had they not raised the arcane max in a blatant attempt to get people back into the game I might have continued to play it and just played more casually but I wasn't even interested in collecting the new primes. Real shame.

9 hours ago, z3us32610 said:

This event is very unfriendly for solo play, especially because it just takes much longer to upload the kill codes.

I actually enjoy the missions themselves, but this is really a huge sticking point for me. Once the initial wave of groups leave for ground or space, it's hard to find another one to go with you. It's not even the loss of manpower that I miss, it's just that scanning takes 3-4x longer solo. 99% of the time, the other 3 members are confused MR8-11 Rhinos who I'll take all the way to wave 17 anyways, so it's just a bummer that time spent grinding is metered by how lucky I am in finding people to just take up space.

• Like 3

"The fact that the rewards are old stuff makes it more disappointing. There was one new weapon, and a variant on an old one, then some cosmetic stuff."

Just because you played the game forever doesnt mean the items are useless....you have to know that right?

you're literally gonna sit there and say one of the rarest and most expensive items is "old stuff"?

• Like 3

I'm going into public matchmaking. 3 runs and I have enough to finally max one of my arcanes and I had a lot of fun doing it.  Console's tend to be lacking in regards to quantity of strong RJ's so I'm making sure to host the RJ missions.  That was a blast, I plan on farming this event some more... and I'm sure it'll start to feel repetitive, only an idiot would expect otherwise. But anything will start feeling that way if you do it too much.  This event is giving us a reliable, direct means of obtaining high tier rewards WITHOUT RNG determining the reward at moderate difficulty.  What more could you ask?

• Like 1

Repetitive and boring. Just go from A to B and defend. Must be interesting at the beginning but gets repetitive fast ... And you let the RJ parking outside???? This is just ridiculous.

Just another way to farm the Eidolon and The Quills stuff .... for players who don't like to hunt eidolons. The game resumes itself for the reward table and even this cant be done right.

One new weapon. One new enemy. Old stuff.

And the cherry cake: they nerf some weapons people are using to run the missions in the middle of the event.

A bunch of nonsense.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, C4Mingus said:

Repetitive and boring. Just go from A to B and defend. Must be interesting at the beginning but gets repetitive fast ... And you let the RJ parking outside???? This is just ridiculous.

Just another way to farm the Eidolon and The Quills stuff .... for players who don't like to hunt eidolons. The game resumes itself for the reward table and even this cant be done right.

And the cherry cake: they nerf some weapons people are using to run the missions in the middle of the event.

A bunch of nonsense.

Interesting take.

Edited by Hypernaut1

10 hours ago, z3us32610 said:

I almost exclusively play in the middle of the night on the west coast and I can rarely get a team together. 

This isn't due to lack of players. There are actually plenty of players, even at Pacific midnight. It's due to how the flotilla works

See, you can only matchmake with people in your current flotilla. Much like relays, Cetus, Fortuna, etc. a flotilla has a player limit. If your flotilla is full, and everyone in the flotilla is already in a mission, the game will keep matchmaking open for you but there won't be anyone who can actually join your squad. Maybe in other flotillas, there's tons of players already put, but matchmaking can't set you up with them

Edited by TARINunit9
  • Like 1

Honestly the biggest problem likely stems from this being an alpha test (not even a beta test) of the Op-link system with the gameplay being hastily cobbled together to facilitate proper testing.

The number one takeaway that DE is likely looking for is how stable the Op-link system works, kind of like a stress test.

Issue for me is that it just feels unrewarding. After the first five runs you turn your brain off and auto pilot this poor excuse for content. The rewards are too expensive and not very interesting as well, I mean ffs could they not had put a Catalyst in the weapons to make the grind a bit rewarding? I'll do the event, loathe it and move on....just as I do with most of the uninspiring content.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SirTobe said:

But on the other hand this is pretty much a first beta for the squad-link mechanics (or more like pre-alpha, lol), so the statistics and feedback is important for future content.

But the thing is, what if anything does squadlink stand to add to the game? 

Basically my problem with this event. For what it is, it's fine and enjoyable. But, getting into an open party is a pain. I'm not going to hop around different flotillas to find a party. I prefer railjack side, again, when I can join an open party, but that's rare. 

If only they didn't split up the match making into separate instances. Also, they could have one large leader board instead of the meaningless ones they have now. 

9 hours ago, C4Mingus said:

A bunch of nonsense.

A lot of people do eidolons lol. I public matched 150 hydro caps.

People are doing this because its dumb not to,  if you plan to play the game for awhile: I finally get my sought after arcanes and some to sell in desperate times long after the event is gone. It's basically free plat.....lol

• Like 1