Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What happened to the golden hand glyph?

So apparently glyph from promocode "GOLDEN", which previously look like that:
P0Sxc63.jpg

Now looks like this:
9zBFFEJ.jpg

Just... why? I loved previous glyhp, it had pretty unique theme and great symbolysm. Why just not add new one for people to choose, instead of replacing old one?

Edited by Kimaen_jai_Sheelal
typo fix
  • Like 3

I'd love gaming companies to go back to a time where they designed fictional universes without politic correctness agenda.

Oh no there is a hand, must redesign. Dude, remove all the hands from Tennos and Warframes, someone may think we promote police brutality

• Like 32

4 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

I'd love gaming companies to go back to a time where they designed fictional universes without politic correctness agenda.

Oh no there is a hand, must redesign. Dude, remove all the hands from Tennos and Warframes, someone may think we promote police brutality

The fact there's people like you is exactly why they changed the design.

• Like 16

36 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

The icon comes out at a time of a pretty widespread political movement, while also looking a lot like that movement's main logo. It's definitely a coincidence (as this glyph is just reffering to Granum's golden hand), so the company could certainly just keep it. 

But having this visual similarity definitely opens the door for players to draw parallels and bring political discussion into the game and its Forums *nudge nudge*. Suddenly regional chats and GD forums become a scuffle-ground for political discussion the devs may or not support, but either way don't want bogging down the game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

The icon comes out at a time of a pretty widespread political movement, while also looking a lot like that movement's main logo. It's definitely a coincidence (as this glyph is just reffering to Granum's golden hand), so the company could certainly just keep it. 

But having this visual similarity definitely opens the door for players to draw parallels and bring political discussion into the game and its Forums *nudge nudge*. Suddenly regional chats and GD forums become a scuffle-ground for political discussion the devs may or not support, but either way don't want bogging down the game.

I got it, but at the same time the way to reach the portals are ... huge ass Golden Hands. A glyph icon should be the least of their problem, they didn't change the main thing you'll see in the featured Corpus Ship Redesign. That just yells hypocrisy.

To be consistent they should have changed the Golden Hands in game by Golden Faces, so the glyph would match what is the real icon of the Corpus Founder. Now the glyph is a random corpus symbol, not the Golden Hand corpus symbol.

Edited by Chewarette
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Chewarette said:

I got it, but at the same time the way to reach the portals are ... huge ass Golden Hands. A glyph icon should be the least of their problem, they didn't change the main thing you'll see in the featured Corpus Ship Redesign. That just yells hypocrisy.

To be consistent they should have changed the Golden Hands in game by Golden Faces, so the glyph would match what is the real icon of the Corpus Founder. Now the glyph is a random corpus symbol, not the Golden Hand corpus symbol.

The hand in the glyph is specifically a hand clenched in a fist. This is the icon in question. Just as a hand held at a particular angle whilst flat has its own meaning, the hand itself isn't  the problem, it's the fist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magus_Tahir said:

Adjusted icon for The Deadlock Protocol's promotional Glyph to represent the Corpus Founder more clearly, and have less of matching iconography with real life movements.

"Canada intensifies"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Magus_Tahir said:

To quote the patch notes.

Adjusted icon for The Deadlock Protocol's promotional Glyph to represent the Corpus Founder more clearly, and have less of matching iconography with real life movements. 

who would even think of that, there are 50 other things ingame which can be associated with various movement during our history, and no one cares. the only time we notice if when someone talk about it

3 hours ago, Chewarette said:

i 100% agree with this

games are games, we come here to take a break from outside world not to end up in a virtual world with outside problems

this thing is not a big deal, but political things should never be brought into a game

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chewarette said:

I got it, but at the same time the way to reach the portals are ... huge ass Golden Hands. A glyph icon should be the least of their problem

As Loza said, the symbol is a raised fist, not hands in general. Gold is also completely unrelated.

Suggesting that "hands" are the issue just implies to me that either you're being facetious, or you are completely unexposed to the worldwide protests happening.

• Like 1

DE logic: 

- has New Loka, a faction obsessed with "purity" that wants to exterminate everything else for being "tainted and ruined beyond salvation".

- "oh no, we can't show a clenched fist, people will get the wrong idea!"

look, if you're gonna go full political correctness, that's your business, but don't half measure, because it just exposes double standards. anyone else notice the debacle on twitter where someone argued with Steve over Hong Kong? you either cover ALL offensive material or none at all. personally I say leave the real world out of this. people come to warframe to escape the current political situation, and if you stop giving people a means of escape, of course they are going to get riled up. racism is a problem to be sure, but vague statements and changing a glyph in a videogame aren't gonna solve the problem, so why even bother. 

that said, the new glyph is meh. not keen on someone else's face. I'd rather it have been changed to a golden Corpus logo like :corpus:, that would have been better IMO. 

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

DE logic: 

- has New Loka, a faction obsessed with "purity" that wants to exterminate everything else for being "tainted and ruined beyond salvation".

- "oh no, we can't show a clenched fist, people will get the wrong idea!"

look, if you're gonna go full political correctness, that's your business, but don't half measure, because it just exposes double standards. anyone else notice the debacle on twitter where someone argued with Steve over Hong Kong? you either cover ALL offensive material or none at all. personally I say leave the real world out of this. people come to warframe to escape the current political situation, and if you stop giving people a means of escape, of course they are going to get riled up. racism is a problem to be sure, but vague statements and changing a glyph in a videogame aren't gonna solve the problem, so why even bother. 

that said, the new glyph is meh. not keen on someone else's face. I'd rather it have been changed to a golden Corpus logo like :corpus:, that would have been better IMO. 

Consider: New Loka is on purpose. The clenched fist as a symbol of the Corpus isn't. One is that way for thematic reasons, the other is a well-known, existing symbol for a movement with current, active protests, being tied to the villains of the story

Simply put, nobody is going to complain about Nazi Symbolism in the Empire for Star Wars. But people raise eyebrows at Lovecraft since all his protagonists are white, rich men, whereas his villains are always minorities in some way and/or poor (well, whenever they aren't incomprehensible horrors- usually whatever cult springs up is). No matter how much you might want to insist 'no, no, it's just a coincidence' - people see patterns. If your villains are associated with a current political movement, then intentionally or not, you are calling them villains.

4 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

The clenched fist as a symbol of the Corpus isn't. One is that way for thematic reasons, the other is a well-known, existing symbol for a movement with current, active protests, being tied to the villains of the story

"the raised fist, or the clenched fist, is a symbol of solidarity and support. It is also used as a salute to express unity, strength, defiance, or resistance."

It's such a common trope in media that just because a group is using it it doesn't mean that pre existing appearances or future uses means that it's tied to the current protests.

The golden fist implies strength and wealth which makes sense for the Corpus

• Like 1

Just now, (XB1)C11H22O11 said:

"the raised fist, or the clenched fist, is a symbol of solidarity and support. It is also used as a salute to express unity, strength, defiance, or resistance."

It's such a common trope in media that just because a group is using it it doesn't mean that pre existing appearances or future uses means that it's tied to the current protests.

The golden fist implies strength and wealth which makes sense for the Corpus

Which is probably why DE felt it was fine to use when they originally made it.

Symbols are not permanent, they are not set in stone. They can and do change. Right now, it has particular meaning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chewarette said:

Actually think of it this way. 

While the stated reason may be about political correctness, do you want an immersive experience?

If I see something in game that reminds me of a real life political symbol, doesn't matter whether I agree with the symbol or not, my immersion is broken. 

Edited by Tesseract7777
  • Like 1

@Loza03

But people raise eyebrows at Lovecraft since all his protagonists are white, rich men, whereas his villains are always minorities in some way and/or poor (well, whenever they aren't incomprehensible horrors- usually whatever cult springs up is). No matter how much you might want to insist 'no, no, it's just a coincidence' - people see patterns.

There is definetely certain kind of people which prefer to "see patterns" everywhere and then complain on twitter. All others just read Lovecraft.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Loza03 said:

But people raise eyebrows at Lovecraft since all his protagonists are white, rich men, whereas his villains are always minorities in some way and/or poor (well, whenever they aren't incomprehensible horrors- usually whatever cult springs up is). No matter how much you might want to insist 'no, no, it's just a coincidence' - people see patterns. If your villains are associated with a current political movement, then intentionally or not, you are calling them villains.

Except that Lovecraft was a massive racist. Shadow Over Innsmouth, for example, was him ranting over "race mixing." The guy named a black cat he had N- Man. It definitely was not a coincidence,

Edit: Not disagreeing with you. Just clarifying that Lovecraft's works seem racist for a reason. Cosmic Horror is pretty much his invention and almost needs xenophobia because of that. But there's been people who have reframed it in wonderful ways. Lovecraft's works had a big impression on me as a teen, and learning that he was so racist was depressing.

Edited by SpicyDinosaur
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Except that Lovecraft was a massive racist. Shadow Over Innsmouth, for example, was him ranting over "race mixing." The guy named a black cat he had N- Man. It definitely was not a coincidence,

Edit: Not disagreeing with you. Just clarifying that Lovecraft's works seem racist for a reason. Cosmic Horror is pretty much his invention and almost needs xenophobia because of that. But there's been people who have reframed it in wonderful ways. Lovecraft's works had a big impression on me as a teen, and learning that he was so racist was depressing.

I'm aware, which is why I brought it up. In practice, there isn't any way to tell from just the works alone. Reality is, Lovecraft probably did have some effect - a relatively minor one, since he wasn't wildly popular, but media affects us more than we might want to admit.

I mean, would you rather be this guy? \/

3 hours ago, JCD89 said:

@Loza03

There is definetely certain kind of people which prefer to "see patterns" everywhere and then complain on twitter. All others just read Lovecraft.

Yeah, as Spicy pointed out, Lovecraft had those patterns because he was indeed racist, and wanted people to be scared of the things he was - which included being more racist. And if you can avoid doing that by accident, so much the better.

• Like 1

On 2020-06-12 at 9:12 AM, Chewarette said:

Uh oh, you dared to speak up about the silliness. Prepare to get hated on.. Oh wait, first post right after you already did! 

Anyway I agree with you. People this year go nuts and lose their mind over the smallest of things as small as a freaking in game icon. As stupid as I find it, I'm not entirely sure if I can blame DE for it. 

• Like 1