Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do you ever go into your foundry and look at the Ascaris Negator

(XBOX)BowlofTofu

honestly the default hum of the orbiter always reminds me of being a noob.

i chose volt too, but did feel it was a mistake, when your new and dont have mods his speed lasting for only a few seconds and then your out of energy felt really bad, i played it for about a week before i quit.

came back a few months later with friends around D2 launch (as it was terrible) and never looked back.

had to sell the taxon too, kept hearing the laser "pew" noise in my brain even while not playing the game and had to just be rid of it. 

14 minutes ago, WindigoTG said:

What's Ascaris Negator?

It's the thing you build at the end of Vor's Prize to remove the Ascaris Bolt from your leg, it stays in your inventory after you craft it.

39 minutes ago, (XB1)BowlofTofu said:

And just reminisce on your first year of Warframe? The first frame and weapons you used? 

I did today and oof, thinking back about choosing Volt, and thinking I made a mistake only to be proven wrong time and time again. Then getting his prime and then yeah, good times. 

Yep ! I remember being completely confused by mods so I didn't use them - I thought the mod screen was for fusing broken mods into each other to fix them somehow, but it didn't do anything so I ignored it. Messages from Region Chat kept scrolling down my screen and I thought people were trying to talk to me and it freaked me out :) The nav screen was horrible (those wedge things for the missions around the planets, most of them locked, that gave me no idea which ones I should do or why)... Everything was confusing and I left for about a year.

Came back to give it another try, the nav screen was totally different and I discovered the auto-install button on the mod screen - saw my stats change and was like "ohhhhh, I see" and, like a fool, trusted that the game was applying a good setup for me. Took a while to realise that pretty much any build was better than what auto-install suggested, but it got me started.

Spent my starter plat on some terrible syandana thinking the game would let me earn some more soon, maybe I'd get some every month or something. Didn't realise that was all I'd get unless I bought some (had no idea trading was a thing). Struggled on for a bit, then hit a brick wall with the Raptor. Just couldn't scratch it and got my ass kicked every time. I turned to Region for help, and a godlike Rhino joined me, all shiny and fancy, and casually obliterated it and was on his way to extraction while I was still lost in the ice caves trying to catch up. I was so grateful and thought "one day, I will be the one who helps lost newbies". Never looked back.

It's been years now, and despite a few burnouts I'm still here. And helping newbies is still my favourite thing to do. Well, that and making my frames look awesome. Obviously.

I'll leave this here for anyone who hasn't seen it, it's as relevant as ever - thanks for reminding me of my noob days, OP :)

5 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Man , that was so long ago.

I spent such a long time sneaking around, crouching and using bows with mag as if this was a stealth game. (i played solo)

You would imagine a game with "ninjas play free" tagline would emphasize on stealth.

That was me, creeping up to a locked door to hack it, then getting spotted from miles away... "I WAS CROUCHING! THAT MAKES YOU STEALTHY IN GAMES, THEM'S THE RULES!"

First thing I did was speedrun to I think the void, to get the materials needed to craft the weapon I had my eyes on. Once I got there after putting in hardcore work is when I learned weapons were level locked.

More or less daily I have to disappoint people wanting to trade a weapon set from me because they don't have the mr for it. They feel bad and maybe embarrassed and I feel bad too because I know exactly what it is like working to get an item and then be blocked by messed up, pointless arbitrary gates.

Another first lesson was trying to solo the defense map on lua with a giant open map, fighting my ass off and coming up short. Then read up on it, create a frost and then beat it with my eyes closed.

Definitely set the tone for the whole game right there, don't ever waste your time doing anything without reading up on it, throughly.

I don't know if the developers have this dream of players enjoying their little puzzles, like the protea grind or kuva lich grind, but I am not going to waste hours figuring it out, when I am out here doing re-runs on massive grinds. I might be inclined to stop and enjoy it, if it were trying to waste as much as my time as possible.

So sure often times it does come down to damage but playing the game is more or less trying to avoid playing the game. Whatever you can do to break their design and avoid the traps, the better a player you are.

In warframe you aren't trying to "beat the game" in the way the developers think of it, you are trying to work around their bs and avoid it as much as possible lol.

Like, I am done going to now 3 different planets, grinding 3x mining, 3x fishing, 3x conservation, 3x bounties, with something like what, 20-30 blueprints to craft crafting so you can craft lmao, no. F no. Oh yeah ps. there is a daily cap, just in case those 900 other things you had to do weren't a big enough waste of your time.

It's a babushka grind with another grind inside... and guess what is inside that! Ta-da, another grind! Great.

So I am A to B now. Get in, get paid or you can bullet jump it right up your void :)

I might be down to unlock some prime frames down the road, assuming they aren't planet-grind related, but outside the grind is definitely over for me.

I just want to be able to sell the damn negator and the blueprint. Both are still there and I don't want them there.

4 hours ago, (XB1)ONI Prowess said:

had to sell the taxon too, kept hearing the laser "pew" noise in my brain even while not playing the game and had to just be rid of it. 

Why didn't you just sell the weapon then?

Dera Vandal is what reminds me of my noob days. reason being that when I first joined, we had Tubemen of Regor on PS4, and my friends wanted to drag me through the event, even though I had almost no idea how to play the game. anyway, we got Dera Vandal as a reward (XB1 and PC got Karak Wraith) and that was my go-to primary for a long time, though I also had a love for the Paris, because pinning enemies to walls was hilarious, and Paris Prime was one of my first Prime weapons, maybe THE first.

but when I see Dera Vandal, I think about how I ran through those labs with my Vanilla volt, firing at anything that moved with starter weapons like a total panicked noob while my more experienced friends did most of the work. good times!

On 2020-09-23 at 8:41 PM, (XB1)BowlofTofu said:

And just reminisce on your first year of Warframe? The first frame and weapons you used? 

I did today and oof, thinking back about choosing Volt, and thinking I made a mistake only to be proven wrong time and time again. Then getting his prime and then yeah, good times. 

o3o..... i keep forgetting its in there as im more focused on building other stuff an it keeps getting mentally blacklisted as it has no use.
i only reminisce about when i started when im helping newer players an they cant seem to grasp stuff.
O.O hell when i was told about sentienals an they can use weapons i thoguht we could give them are own weapon to use.

Not really, though I did give the new opening quest a run and it reminded me of just how much things have changed.

It also showed me just how bonkers even modless melee is now, 3-4 bullets from a Lato vs one swing from a Skana...back in the day the MK-1 Braton was the most reliable weapon I had in the base mission, after melee 3.0 the Skana 2-hit Vor's cameo.

On 2020-09-24 at 2:29 AM, BahamutKaiser said:

I replayed the original quest and had to remove it again. Thought that they already had the new player experience. 

Only the Awakening "quest" is replayable, Vor's Prize is not. You most definitely can't remove the ascaris again because nothing from rerunning Awakening saves.

On 2020-09-24 at 4:46 AM, (XB1)DS Monkfish said:

I was so grateful and thought "one day, I will be the one who helps lost newbies". Never looked back.

It's been years now, and despite a few burnouts I'm still here. And helping newbies is still my favourite thing to do.

Me too. I started and stopped Warframe about 7 times during a couple of weeks, going through a "wtf is this"/"this is not for me"/"hmm, maybe I'll try again"-cycle. Then I was hooked and got to the next phase, struggling to understand "everything" and collecting "all kinds of strange stuff". 🙂

When MR20+ players joined a mission on Earth it was like being visited by a benevolent godlike being, not only did they effortlessly wipe out all the pesky enemies I was struggling with (when a bombard or heavy gunner showed up it was "run away, run away", Monty Python-style), they gave good advice and even mods. I got my first "gold mod" (a primary 60/60) from a friendly "high MR" (who helped unlock "trading" at the same time) and it was on my every primary for a looong time. This "helping new players" is still a thing in Warframe, which makes Warframe a bit special. I like that, and like to keep the tradition alive. While there are some other games where friendly players might help when asked the general level of toxicity in most online games is mind-numbingly insane (in comparison).

I don't miss my old Warframe days. 

I didn't have all mods, I didn't have a good weapon, I didn't know how to build, was a Nova Main back then. 

I couldn't even kill a Level 40, The Void is still an area I avoid even today, because It caused a primal fear everythme I had to play that. The music wasn't helping to feel better. 

However, I miss a lot the design choices back then. The darker and "edgier" setting of Warframe. Where you were almost running around with a flashlight, because it's so dark. Way more gore, which was toned down (WHY?). Hitting an enemy with a melee didn't feel like you are slapping them with a baseball bat. Satisfying weapon sounds (Dual Kamas didn't sound like a cheap $1 butter knife back then). When sabotages did cause a blackout (re-introduced with the Deadlock Tileset). Alert announcers were actually audible instead of faction language non-sense. When Volt could destroy lights in the room using his 4, causing a near blackout for that room. (This is where finally Arc Traps come from!) When you actually could wait and single stealth out enemies, now they stand around in groups like co-workers in the smoking area during breaks while raining. 

However, these were fun times regardless and made stick to Warframe for years now.

Archived