Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How would you improve Rivens?

Cloud

2 hours ago, PublikDomain said:

And some RNG is fine. Excessive RNG isn't. RNG isn't a substitute for good systems design and content. Rivens are a seven-layer bean dip of RNG when they should really be like three.

Then go ahead and trade because trade is the most effective FREE way to get things. Plat doesn't have to be involved at all. Literal trades exist and work quite well, especially with clan mates. DE made a nice and easy counter to grind via trade and your choice to do it all yourself is just that: yours.

I may just be a filthy casual ... But i kinda wanna see Rivens properly incorporated into a weapon.

Make it a modifier on base stats rather than the multiplier they currently are. 
Quick example would be a Crit Riven for a specific weapon would add a flat number to the Crit Rate of that weapon. Lets say 15% to throw a number into the wild. 
You could use the riven to turn a 5% crit weapon into a 20% crit weapon, and then normal mod multipliers take effect from there.

Take Riven Disposition and turn it into Slots instead of a scale. So a max positive dosposition would be something like 4 slots while a minimum would be 1. 
Remove Mod cost from this also. 
Your weapon would have its normal mod slot layout, but with 1 - 4 additional Riven exclusive slots. 

Then make all Rivens single stat with a catch. That single stat carries a penalty to another relevant stat. Not 1 to 1 of course. But enough to feel it. 

For example, a boost to Attack Speed would come with a negative to Crit Chance. Boosting Status reduces Status Duration. 

Keep the stat rerolling via Kuva. But make it so the stats are always at their maximum value for that stat. 

DE can change the numbers as much as they like for balance purposes. Can even keep the scale on it so a low dispo weapon would have 1 slot that doesn't provide a huge stat change but a high dispo weapon would see significant boosts along with multiple slots. 
Riven trading stays kind of as it is, since people would want to collect all the Rivens for a given weapon. Maybe even a way to kind of force a veiled Riven to unveil into a specific weapon?
Like using a Veiled Shotgun Riven on Cedo causes the resulting Riven to have a high chance at becoming a Cedo Riven?

I guess a tldr would be to turn Rivens into a way to customize the base stats of a weapon instead of just being additional multipliers on top of all the other multipliers. 

57 minutes ago, GEN-Son_17 said:

Then go ahead because trade is the most effective FREE way to get things. Plat doesn't have to be involved at all. Literal trades exist and work quite well, especially with clan mates. DE made a nice and easy counter to grind via trade and your choice to do it all yourself is just that: yours.

No.

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TRADE AT ALL

Not for plat, not by bartering, not for handies in the parking lot, not at all. I'm not gonna sit in trade chat to play the game.

Personally, I’ve never explained the concept of a Riven to anyone and see them be anything but excited. The only people I’ve noticed dislike them are jaded vets who tend to also have a lot of other.... uh, complex ideas... about what is wrong with warframe and what it needs to do.

personally, I think dispositions should be changed from 0.5-1.5 to 0.7-1.4

and that’s it.

3 hours ago, PublikDomain said:

And some RNG is fine. Excessive RNG isn't. RNG isn't a substitute for good systems design and content. Rivens are a seven-layer bean dip of RNG when they should really be like three.

I want to do it myself. I want to play on my own terms with my own effort. If I wanted to pay someone else to play the game for me I'd sub to a Twitch streamer.

There aren’t seven layers, they are two. Acquisition and rolling. 

Also, while your tantrum is cute, no one is asking you to pay anyone to play the game for you. Rolling for random rivens is ideal if you wanna experiment with new rivens on new weapons.

If after a while you find rivens you don’t want, you can sell them and buy an unrolled riven for a weapon you do want.

It’s pretty simple to understand, so long as you aren’t trying wasting your day over it.

2 hours ago, _R_o_g_u_e_ said:

Acquisition

Uh huh, and what's the RNG on that?

By a rough count there are 141 melee weapons, excluding variants. Veiled Melee Rivens have an 8.14% drop rate. So your odds of getting a Riven for the specific melee weapon you want are about 1 in 1,148. To put that into perspective, get your dice and roll a D6. If you don't get a 6, try again tomorrow (I rolled a 5, see you tomorrow). Now roll a D8, if you don't get an 8 try again tomorrow. Now roll a D12, if you don't get a 12 try again tomorrow. Now flip a coin, if you get tails try again tomorrow. If you don't have a set of dice, flip a coin and get heads 10 times in a row. Your odds are a little worse than that. This is what I mean by "excessive". 1 in 1,148 chances means that on average you'll get that Riven you want after more than three years of daily sorties. Or you can crack open your wallet and slog through trade chat to buy it or trade for it. So sure, technically you can acquire Rivens on your own, it's just that it's a gigantic waste of your time and effort. The only reasonable way to acquire a Riven you want is to buy it, and that's messed up.

With something like my suggested deterministic unveiling, the odds to get the same Riven for the specific melee weapon you want is about 1 in 12. It'll take you a little under two weeks. That's perfectly reasonable, IMO! After two weeks of effort I can move on to the second half and start rolling my stats.

rolling

For melee weapons there are 23 possible positive stats. This means that there are 1,771 possible combinations of those stats, which doesn't even consider negative stats or getting a different number of them. So your chances of getting the specific set of stats you want is significantly worse than the acquisition RNG, which is already something you should be measuring in years. Or you can crack open your wallet and slog through trade chat to buy it or trade for it. So sure, technically you can roll a Riven and get the stats you want after hundreds or thousands of rolls and millions of Kuva, it's just that it's a gigantic waste of your time and effort. The only reasonable way to acquire the stats you want on a Riven is to buy it, and that's messed up.

With something like stat locking you could significantly reduce the amount of time wasted on this pointless gambling. If you have 23 positive stats and want a specific set of 3, you've got about a 1 in 8 chance for one of those 3 stats to show up. Then you can lock it and pay the extra Kuva to roll for the next one. The chance of finding your second stat is 1 in 11. The chance of finding your third is 1 in 21. (Edit: And interestingly enough, the chance of getting it in 1 roll is the same 1 in 1,771 as before - it's just now you can tackle that number in chunks). If we have something like a +100% roll cost per locked stat then we're talking about around 13k Kuva for finding the first stat, about 76k Kuva for the second, and about 220k Kuva for the third. This also sounds perfectly reasonable, IMO. I'm more than happy to spend 300k Kuva on something where I can make actual, measurable progress and end up with the thing I want.

you can sell them and buy

https://emoji.gg/assets/emoji/8241_NoBugsBunny.png

4 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

By a rough count there are 141 melee weapons, excluding variants. Veiled Melee Rivens have an 8.14% drop rate. So your odds of getting a Riven for the specific melee weapon you want are about 1 in 1,148. To put that into perspective, get your dice and roll a D6. If you don't get a 6, try again tomorrow (I rolled a 5, see you tomorrow). Now roll a D8, if you don't get an 8 try again tomorrow. Now roll a D12, if you don't get a 12 try again tomorrow. Now flip a coin, if you get tails try again tomorrow. If you don't have a set of dice, flip a coin and get heads 10 times in a row. Your odds are a little worse than that. This is what I mean by "excessive". 1 in 1,148 chances means that on average you'll get that Riven you want after more than three years of daily sorties. Or you can crack open your wallet and slog through trade chat to buy it or trade for it. So sure, technically you can acquire Rivens on your own, it's just that it's a gigantic waste of your time and effort. The only reasonable way to acquire a Riven you want is to buy it, and that's messed up.

With something like my suggested deterministic unveiling, the odds to get the same Riven for the specific melee weapon you want is about 1 in 12. It'll take you a little under two weeks. That's perfectly reasonable, IMO! After two weeks of effort I can move on to the second half and start rolling my stats.

For melee weapons there are 23 possible positive stats. This means that there are 1,771 possible combinations of those stats, which doesn't even consider negative stats or getting a different number of them. So your chances of getting the specific set of stats you want is significantly worse than the acquisition RNG, which is already something you should be measuring in years. Or you can crack open your wallet and slog through trade chat to buy it or trade for it. So sure, technically you can roll a Riven and get the stats you want after hundreds or thousands of rolls and millions of Kuva, it's just that it's a gigantic waste of your time and effort. The only reasonable way to acquire the stats you want on a Riven is to buy it, and that's messed up.

With something like stat locking you could significantly reduce the amount of time wasted on this pointless gambling. If you have 23 positive stats and want a specific set of 3, you've got about a 1 in 8 chance for one of those 3 stats to show up. Then you can lock it and pay the extra Kuva to roll for the next one. The chance of finding your second stat is 1 in 11. The chance of finding your third is 1 in 21. If we have something like a +100% roll cost per locked stat then we're talking about around 13k Kuva for finding the first stat, about 76k Kuva for the second, and about 220k Kuva for the third. This also sounds perfectly reasonable, IMO. I'm more than happy to spend 300k Kuva on something where I can make actual, measurable progress and end up with the thing I want.

Welcome to online gaming, if you can't handle the system then deal with what you roll. You're not entitled to perfect rolls.

Have some patience and save your plat, buy it if you need a specific roll so badly, or realize you don't even need a perfect roll for anything in the game. It's up to you. Those are your options and they aren't changing any time soon.

Even if they were going to make all these changes, you would still have to wait for the update either way. By the time the changes were implemented, you would have enough plat to buy the riven you want anyway. 

18 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

With something like stat locking you could significantly reduce the amount of time wasted on this pointless gambling. If you have 23 positive stats and want a specific set of 3, you've got about a 1 in 8 chance for one of those 3 stats to show up. Then you can lock it and pay the extra Kuva to roll for the next one. The chance of finding your second stat is 1 in 11. The chance of finding your third is 1 in 21. (Edit: And interestingly enough, the chance of getting it in 1 roll is the same 1 in 1,771 as before - it's just now you can tackle that number in chunks). If we have something like a +100% roll cost per locked stat then we're talking about around 13k Kuva for finding the first stat, about 76k Kuva for the second, and about 220k Kuva for the third. This also sounds perfectly reasonable, IMO. I'm more than happy to spend 300k Kuva on something where I can make actual, measurable progress and end up with the thing I want.

Your tantrum is impressive, but you fail to account for two things;

1. Riven transmutation

2. You don’t need to get 1000 rivens to get the riven you want. Rivens essentially have bad luck protection built in. If you get enough rivens you don’t want, you can sell them and buy one you do want.

Your dismissive use of a cartoon character with text on it doesn’t really dissuade the truth.

Just now, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

You're not entitled to perfect rolls.

Unless I pay for it, right?

1 minute ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

buy it

And it's not because I'm cheap, it's the principle of it. I'm not paying another player for gameplay systems that should be accessible on their own. I'm not paying another player for Rivens, or Kuva weapons, or Ephemera, or Railjack parts, none of it. You should not need to engage in trade if you do not want to. Trade should be optional. And when your only alternative is literal years of grind, it is no longer optional.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Even if they were going to make all these changes, you would still have to wait for the update either way.

So? And every 60 Seconds in Africa a minute passes.

1 minute ago, PublikDomain said:

Unless I pay for it, right?

And it's not because I'm cheap, it's the principle of it. I'm not paying another player for gameplay systems that should be accessible on their own. I'm not paying another player for Rivens, or Kuva weapons, or Ephemera, or Railjack parts, none of it. You should not need to engage in trade if you do not want to. Trade should be optional. And when your only alternative is literal years of grind, it is no longer optional.

So? And every 60 Seconds in Africa a minute passes.

Trade shouldn't be anything except what the game intended it to be. If that doesn't align with what you think it should be, that means you just have to deal with it in the mean time.

Regardless rivens are the only end-game content.

It's also endless and the biggest source of plat generating.

If there was a problem from the developers' perspective, something that cost them, they would fix it in 10 minutes. I can't speak to how things are doing in relation to the developers' agenda. I don't even know what their intent is. Do you?

I figure they want it like that, so they can't be held accountable.

Did they want people to use all frames and weapons in the game? Or are certain items straight meant to just be throw-away MR fodder? They want you, to want to level, so higher levels items must be better as motivation? But then rivens are supposed to close the gap on weak weapons?

Seems to me like you just fire buckshots until something randomly sticks, then leave it in whatever state it is in. With no plan, intent or vision or whatever.

So first you'd have to decide what the exact goals are.

Should combat be more complex? For isntance a bunch of status effects that aren't integrated you could do a lot with. Maybe every effect was situational.

But when difficulty goes up, so does frustration. Have people show up on map doing no damage and having to read page after page on weapon modding to even play at all.

Then the problem of single target vs aoe.

Outside maybe boss fights, how terrible does aoe have to be to show up with a single target pistol instead.

Which speaks to everything in the game I feel, there has to be an up- and downside to everything, supported by the gameplay. What good is my sniper in a game with 95% fighting trash mobs.

Like if I can snipe aoe everything on most maps - even through walls with bubonico, why would I use a shotgun.

So they really need to sit down and decide to either balance everything or just throw in the towel and let all weapons be overpowered.

Something like aoe costs reload speed or low caliber weapons cost punchthrough or whatever would make sense, remembering it has to fit fighting trash mobs as the core gameplay. But there has to a be trade-off.

Another thing you could consider is having weapons that aren't strictly for damage - rakta dagger that heals both shields and restores power, especially for secondary weapons.

You already have a weapon that can shoot, a secondary is what, more of what you already have. I see no problem with adding utility effects or maybe controlling effects to secondaries.

If they feel balance is too difficult for them, they are unable, then I'd say let all weapons be viable, so people can use whatever weapon models and skins they like, instead of having to go cookie-cutter with whatever the developers made flavor of the month.

I am sure you notice new items often times are overpowered and even if not intended, you can't deny holding down older items, is a great way of selling whatever is new.

Until then, the rivens themselves are just as meaningless as the weapons themselves. However in addition to all the other problems there are, you have the problem of no direction to deal with too.

Though if you want to get rid of rivens you will have to add in something else or the game effectively loses its end-game content.

So in short I am not a fan of any of it, I feel the game deserves so much better but the way things are is serving the developers' objectives, at least as far as they can live with it rather than working on it, lol.

2 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Trade shouldn't be anything except what the game intended it to be.

And what pray-tell is that?

2 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

that means you just have to deal with it in the mean time.

When DE added the crappy LoS to Khora's Whipclaw, I had a lot of people telling me similar things. That the official forums weren't the right place to voice my concerns, that it was DE's decision and I had no right to complain, that I'd just have to put up with it, that I was wrong despite providing a mountain evidence to support my claim, etc. And I ignored their sage "advice" and pressured DE to address the problem and guess what? After two months they finally admitted that the LoS is buggy and said that they're going to fix it.

In a similar vein, DE said once that they wouldn't add Dojo NPCs because players might pose them in lewd ways. And because they said no once, a bunch of people on this forum and elsewhere continuously dumped on anyone that said they wanted that feature. DE aLReAdY sAiD nO. And guess what? Now DE has reversed course and have said that they're adding Dojo NPCs Soon™.

Another similar topic, which I'm sure I could find the usual lot dumping on, is the topic of accidental Liches. Despite DE's added protections, accidental Liches still happen. On top of that, there's some pretty cruddy RNG involved with finding a Lich you like. I'd rather not waste my time on a Lich that has nothing interesting about them. So an obvious solution to both issues would be the Lich-be-gone mechanic DE once mentioned where Palladino can make your Lich go away once a week. If you somehow get an accidental Lich or just roll one you don't care for, you can make it go away without paying the several hour fun tax. And yet despite the obvious benefit the same naysayers and contrarians crawl out of the woodwork every time to say why this feature and others shouldn't be added to the game. It's incessant and annoying.

If something doesn't align to how you think it should be, you can change it! Whether that's Liches or Railjack or Dojo NPCs or Rivens or ingame trade tools, nothing is set in stone and everything can change for the better.

And while I'm at it, keep in mind that as a whole Warframe has been moving away from pure RNG for several years, especially recently. Let's look at some of the reductions in RNG that have changed the game for the better:

• Void Keys were replaced with Void Relics, which gave players agency over their RNG. You can team up with other players and refine your relics to vastly increase your odds of finding the specific part you want. You don't need to suffer through 2% drop rates for Prime parts any longer, DE did away with that and it made the game better.
  • Standing-based syndicates and factions gave players a safety net from RNG by allowing them to store up currency and then buy the specific items they actually want. This is noticeable in particular with Fortuna, where you can even buy Warframes like Baruuk and Arcanes using Standing. Unlike Eidolons, where you have no control over your RNG, you have absolute control over your progress using those systems. Likewise with recent event reward structures like from Scarlet Spear or the still-ongoing Orphix Venom event have given players control over their progression and feature the exact same RNG protection as factions that allows players to buy the parts they don't get from mission rewards. These systems have made the game better.
  • Valence Fusion and Lich weapon previewing are two examples of RNG protection added for that system, which allows players to make measurable progress with their weapons without relying entirely on RNG. This system also exists as RNG protection in Railjack, letting you combine ship parts and weapons to achieve the best results through your own effort without having to get lucky or buy them from other players. These tools have made these systems better.
  • Rotating bounty rewards give you agency over which items you're farming. The officially-produced drop table site gives players insight into where and how to farm to maximize their effectiveness. Murmurs give players a way to defeat a Lich without relying entirely on trial and error. At one point in time Warframe blueprints dropped as items and could get lost, but DE changed it so they were a mission reward. Even player-to-player trade has given players the ability to protect themselves from RNG if they so choose. All of these reductions in RNG, safety nets, and increases in player agency have made the game better.
  • Not to mention that DE has always provided the ability to improve or skip RNG through premium boosters or outright item purchases from the market.

Reducing the RNG involved in the Riven system would make the system and the game as a whole better, the same as all of these other examples have done in the recent and not-so-recent past.

3 hours ago, PublikDomain said:

Similar to any game with an auction house, it's just an alternative to way to get something you want. Expecting to farm everything in a game (a game that's a business service provided to you) 100% is pretty silly, even if a person is on the game 24/7 and has more time than the average person. 

Every game has a way to acquire something if you don't want to wait...it's a pretty common sense notion.

So they improved all these RNG systems, yea....but people are still buying liches and ephemeras in trade chat, they're obviously still buying prime parts and whole sets.....they're still buying arcanes and rivens as well...people are still buying and selling a lot of things.....so why is that? I thought you said people shouldn't have to trade and it should all be optional? Then why is trading such a large part of the game and why are people like me using it to buy rivens I want just fine after selling things? 

I'm just saying be prepared to be disappointed if you don't get your way right away. Like I said: 

You could start selling stuff now, just even 1 prime a week....and probably have enough to buy whatever riven you want by the time DE even considers doing anything about rivens. If I can farm enough plat to buy 2 rubico rivens, then you can farm enough plat to buy a kestrel riven.

- Change unveiling: the pool of weapons keeps increasing, and some pools are bigger than others. I personally would like the riven to be for the weapon used to unveil it, but if some RNG is mandatory, at the very least its weapon category (sniper/shotgun/nikana/staff/etc...).

- Change the bonuses: stop with the multipliers, make them additive to allow them to make weak weapons better, and not just push top tier weapons to unholy levels. The most interesting way to go would be to let them affect the base stats, with some hard-locks in some places (e.g. can not boost base Crit or status % above 50). These hard-locks can be the same across the board, but preferably are tuned for weapon categories/types.

- Give your Riven mod an interface like the focus schools, with a total capacity/load and allow me to choose which stats to boost with Kuva, and furthermore which ones I actually pick to activate in a particular load-out. Make it true end-game content and allow me to trick out my favorite weapons to be ultimately flexible! If RNG is absolutely mandatory let a 'boost' go to a random unmaxed node.

- Beyond the standard bonuses we have now, include ones unique to weapon categories and specific weapons. Allow the already existing weapon-specific mods,to be fused into them to unlock a new 'node'. Moving away from the RNG-model DE can actually easily keep on expanding the list of possible riven bonuses and keep us returning to our rivens.

- With the additive bonuses and hard-locks on how high they can push a weapon in certain stats we can lose the disposition system.

- They can still be tradeable. 

You guys are hilarious.

You sit in this echo chamber with a handful of players and toss out the same old "if you don't think like we do, your brain is broken" (gambling problem? really?), or that I am just some old luddite or something 'stuck in the mud'.

Hilarious.

I can totally accept the fact there are people in the world that like to play games in different ways without tryin to say their brains are broken, they simply enjoy different things. Let's also be really clear - the 'mud' comparison has seriously racial origins, so I will just leave that one alone.

So sure, call me crazy, say I have a gambling problem, tell the world the Evil Game Companies are preying on us all, whatever, it's pretty fun to watch, TBH, and is just the exact same old tired circular arguments I have seen for decades playing games and talking about them, "As the Hamster Wheel Turns" indeed.

Meanwhile, I will enjoy this game and others, while so very many of you kvetch and moan because the Evil Game Company will not fulfill your dreams.

🖖

I'd do 2 things to rivens.

1. Set all rivens to the lowest dispo.

2. Rebalance all weapons so all are even in strength with slightly different uses. Instead of being picked for "moar damage!" they'd be picked for use and playstyle of the player.

The rivens would simply serve as QoL mods after that, as a possible replacement to a rare mod where you can roll for the stats you want instead. While being able to get slightly more stats out of it if you are also prepared to use a negative.

There is absolutely zero reason to have weapon power tied to MR since MR has no actual impact on how we handle enemies or what defense and offense we have against them based on level difference. MR just leaves several weapons in the dirt lightyears behind the rest.

6 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Expecting to farm everything in a game

It's a free to play game, my man. What in Warframe can't be farmed? That's literally the game's tagline. NINJAS PLAY FREE. What in this game requires you to go to the market if you want to make reasonable progress? Rivens and Rivens alone. That's not right.

7 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

So they improved all these RNG systems, yea....but people are still buying liches and ephemeras in trade chat, they're obviously still buying prime parts and whole sets.....they're still buying arcanes and rivens as well...people are still buying and selling a lot of things.....so why is that? I thought you said people shouldn't have to trade and it should all be optional?

You just described *an optional system*. 🤦‍♀️

Trading these things should be optional, and it is. You can get Liches and Ephemera and Prime parts and Arcanes at a reasonable pace through your own effort. You cannot do the same with Rivens. The excessiveness of the RNG does not allow this when your only non-trade option is to gamble with worse than 1 in 1,000 odds. That is the problem.

You could start selling

For the third or fourth time, I shouldn't have to. I don't want to. I'm not going to.

I'm just saying be prepared to be disappointed if you don't get your way right away.

Buddy I've been saying this same stuff for more than four years. You think I don't know this??? I'm long past being disappointed by Rivens, now I'm just disappointed by DE for their inaction and the community for their incessant defense of this terrible system.

Archived