Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do you genuinely believe tutorials would in fact help?

ZeroX4

15 hours ago, ZeroX4 said:

In fact i dont
I only have problem with ppl reading what i wrote and fail to understand it

I honestly don't see the connection between your logic. Do you ever question the existence of user manual of electrical appliances too when you see a functioning adult ask someone else "how do you turn this on"?

You see 1 person asking a question (which is totally expected in Q&A channel) and then question the need of tutorial? I'm surprised I didn't see you asking about the existence of Warframe wiki earlier given hundreds of thousands of questions are being asked in Q&A channel everyday.

Tutorials and manuals are for those who use it. People who don't, ask in the Q&A channel. Then you look at those who ask and wonder why tutorials and manual aren't helping them.

11 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

I honestly don't see the connection between your logic. Do you ever question the existence of user manual of electrical appliances too when you see a functioning adult ask someone else "how do you turn this on"?

Time stamped.

Also, the companies and manufacturers who include tutorials are doing their part to guide people as to how to use their product. It is their product, they should tell users how to use it properly. Would you rather all appliances, vehicles and other equipment not come with manuals at all?

13 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

You see 1 person asking a question (which is totally expected in Q&A channel) and then question the need of tutorial? I'm surprised I didn't see you asking about the existence of Warframe wiki earlier given hundreds of thousands of questions are being asked in Q&A channel everyday.

Tutorials and manuals are for those who use it. People who don't, ask in the Q&A channel. Then you look at those who ask and wonder why tutorials and manual aren't helping them.

DE should do their part and make a tutorial, rather than rely on third party sources to teach players how to play their game.

13 hours ago, (XBOX)Graysmog said:

I just wish I could make a list of common questions and have a bot answer them in the Clan chat. I always dread a new update because I'll end up having to explain everything on the f****** Patch Notes ANYONE CAN READ and get major attitude if I ask people to just read instead of constantly asking me. Why do people only listen if someone says it to them? You're still reading! Why can't you just read the other thing?!

"So how do you get their Relics?" "What parts drop from it?" "Where's the best area to farm them?" "How do you get the new weapon?" "Is it good?" "Is the Warframe good?" 

7f676866-614d-48d9-a1c8-784949ed0291_tex

Please just give us a single area where all of the Tutorials are so I can point to that and people can stop playing 20 Questions. Put it in the Codex or something. I will take all of the Tutorials, the more the better, especially if they're so braindead easy to find.

I feel this. I don't think tutorials will help much unless they are literally forced onto players and non-skippable... and even then, people can and will ignore information that is shoved down their throats. I think it wouldn't be worth DE's time and money trying to get these people to learn since they already can't use information easily available, and I don't really want to have the playerbase cater to these players.

3 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

I will answer all your questions below just be fair enough and answer this
How on earth every single person replying to this topic (well expect one more) is able to understand my question and issue at hand
Yet you have such a problem with it like it turn out to be rocket science?
I really request sincere answer since its bizarre to me looking at your profile

You are perfect example of what im talking about
Like i said above there are so many users that had no problem understanding what this topic is about
And there comes someone who should have no issue in doing exact same thing according to his post counter but fail to even grasp the idea of it

Idk what is so cryptic in what i wrote but guess for some ppl something is
I started OP by telling my story how i left warframe in first few hours of my gameplay because i didnt know how to mod properly how and where to upgraded mods or even that i need to do so not even how this game works
There was no in game tutorial or guide or info that would help me or point me into right direction
Well maybe there was but none which i could find in most obvious places

Where all i needed in fact was guidance of my cousin to break trough first few hours of gameplay to be successful and be able to continue on my own
While at the same time on screenshot i added we see mid game player failing to (after so much time put in since MR17 is not something you achieve in a week) find answer he was looking for on his own which for sure he seen many times trough course of his gameplay OR was simply too lazy to check it himself (and from that MAYBE originate his question)
Just like i was too lazy to ask for help or look ANYWAY answers to question i had in first few hours of my gameplay
Which in the proves 2 things
1. If i had access to that extra info or someone/something pointed me in the right direction i would not quit in my fest few hours of gameplay so I CANT say anything against tutorials guides or additional info in game in fact im all in for it since im living example it would help
2. Even when you literally have that kind of info almost in your face ppl still have questions about stuff that should be either obvious for them on how to find answer on their own or after so much time in game they dont know kinda essential stuff on where is info they need

So as a person that thinks more info and help is always better when its in game im kinda torn apart when i start to realize that for some ppl even if that kind of info would be thrown in their face they still either will be too lazy to use it or will find to know its there

So i asked simply question (after presenting my standpoint in OP) do ppl feel like me? Since i am all in to have more help in game yet i start to see that maybe lack of info is not he issue but players themselves and adding more info would solve nothing

Just like in your case you fail to understand something such simple when you have all info you need in your face while at the same time every other individual here had no problem in doing so presented with same info as you
So does the problem is about info location or it existence or user itself?

Yet you try to use my narration against me which kinda was indicated in my OP
Tutorials and manuals are made for ppl who use them

You accuse me of questioning existence of manual for electric stuff while it should be clear to you like to every other person contributing to this topic that im perfectly fine with it
And i just ask do ppl really think adding more would help? Or maybe problem is not in fact we dont have more manuals and in that some person wont read them anyway?

Its very hard to make any sense out from your logic but i hope at least what i just wrote helped you understand something
Or maybe like others you were too lazy and didnt read it all and it turns out to be wasted potential like adding more tutorials in game?
Who knows ;)

8 hours ago, Mints said:

Yeah you keep it real short when you start your post by insulting my intelligence, because I know the rest of your post is garbage.

I did not said anything about your intelligence yet
And i didnt even attempt to insult your intelligence since you are doing just find on your own
But since you are here just to troll and not to contribute to the topic itself i guess this is our goodbye since i dont like trolls
I just gonna add you to ignore list to prevent you from trolling any further
Since all you can contribute to this topic is actually off topic and nothing valuable you had post here since the beginning so well bye troll
I leave you with +1 for your trolling effort

1 hour ago, ZeroX4 said:

And i didnt even attempt to insult your intelligence since you are doing just find on your own
But since you are here just to troll and not to contribute to the topic itself i guess this is our goodbye since i dont like trolls
I just gonna add you to ignore list to prevent you from trolling any further
Since all you can contribute to this topic is actually off topic and nothing valuable you had post here since the beginning so well bye troll
I leave you with +1 for your trolling effort

The more you argue, the more likely a mod will lock your thread.

7 minutes ago, (PSN)DoctorWho_90250 said:

The more you argue, the more likely a mod will lock your thread.

Would you care to agree that i got my answers way past 1st page while now it contains 4?
Now all is contributed is either repeated or argues between users so i wont lose anything or am i wrong?

No.

There’s a reason tutorials are being phased out. I mean, league of legends has a tutorial and the vast majority of players are garbage in just about every measurable metric.

You can tell people how to play a game, but you cannot make people more intelligent or aware 🤷 

The thing is, there’s a tutorial for everything, online. There’s no reason DE should be going out of pocket, to do something they’ve already tried and know doesn’t work (Source: their efforts to rework the new player experience) when there’s thousands and thousands of content creators that’ll do it for them (source: Google “warframe guide.”)

The lack of an in game tutorial means people have to learn very basic things by themselves. Like, how to read an on screen objective, and for those of whom that task is beyond, they can spend 56 seconds googling the solution to their problem. So they can read the on screen objective on a different screen.

On 2021-10-03 at 12:42 AM, ZeroX4 said:

I am a living example of a person that quitted warframe after few days cause didnt understood how modding works and was too lazy to find out on youtube or google since there was no in game tutorial that could teach me how to do it i mean i couldnt find any
Yet i came back because my cousin needed someone to translate what ppl whispering him want to trade with him
And offered me with his knowledge about modding and game for my translation services and well im still here so guess it worked

From time to time i see ppl say warframe should have some tutorial because many new players quit at first few hours of the game because lack of guidance and proper explanation to what to do or how to upgrade stuff

Well i cant argue with that since im a person that quitted for that exact reason

Yet i go online today i see something like that from picture below and i lose hope that any amount of effort or detail put into providing us with info/guides/tutorials will ever help

Just to note 1 thing
I would understand that kind of question from MR idk maybe 5 max 8 but not from 17
And from here originate my question
Do we really need proper tutorials or more info when some players fail at locating most basic information? (for sure he crafted many things and may times clicked linked items even see that section at weapon description not to mention checked build requirements and checking by himself the way i did in the picture is faster than asking on Q&A chat)

QPWsCUj.png

Bro, Digital extremes don’t need  “living example,” they know their game has an extremely high wash out rate. Literally every game does.

Go into any games achievements and look at the first achievement, finishing the tutorial etc, the completion will rarely be above 50-60%

Then the first level 30-40%, 

and by the end of the game it’s normally always less 10-25%

This problem isn’t new or unique to warframe. It’s also really not a problem, warframe is a free game. There is no barrier to entry at all. What you’ve outlined isn’t a problem, it’s the basic economics of video games, and the fact you felt it was revolutionary enough to proclaim with importance is kind of embarrassing.

2 hours ago, baked said:

I feel this. I don't think tutorials will help much unless they are literally forced onto players and non-skippable... and even then, people can and will ignore information that is shoved down their throats. I think it wouldn't be worth DE's time and money trying to get these people to learn since they already can't use information easily available, and I don't really want to have the playerbase cater to these players.

Yeah well... Suck it up.... Unlike you DE can't just let any potential Customers walk away just because you don't like a particular player base.... "I tried Warframe once and gave up because it was too confusing" is a far too common Phrase for DE to ignore.... So far they've been lucky.... Warframe occupies are niche Spot in gaming genres but if some other company decides to occupy the same space with a better Product then... Well you know how business goes...

20 hours ago, vanaukas said:

And I'm also saying that the achievemnts on steam are broken as hell, because it doesn'tn even show that I have a railjack, but In game my progression is very different...

19 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Not really true since with WF Steam is very flawed. All it takes to add a number to the Steam statistics is linking your WF and Steam account on the official WF site...

Insignificant anecdotal data points compared to the overal sample size.

20 hours ago, vanaukas said:

In any case, more tutorials won't help, there are countless examples on that...

Glad to see you wear your clown nose in the open.

18 hours ago, Reitrix said:

You may not have noticed, But that mission where you first pilot Snake? Yeah, that was a tutorial disguised as a quest. 
Railjack was the same. As were operators and Archwings. The act of completing the quest taught you enough about the system that you were ablke to figure the rest out yourself. 

All i want is for DE to apply that same logic to Mods and Star chart progression. Early game direction is important.

But wouldnt that apply to everything in the game except modding since there is a first quest for everything? Hand holding for star chart progression is not something I'd personally see as fitting, since this is a "sandbox" game and not your avarage linear progression/quest game. Turn the beginning into the avarage linear experience and people will go "where am I to go?" at a later point instead. WF is more Star Wars Galaxies than it is Star Wars The old Republic, and should probably stay that way. People would also start comparing it to linear games and start asking where quest givers and so on are, or why all planets lack side quests etc.

I have no problem with them adding the quest indicator that is planned though since it helps to experience the story, but massive handholding of the star chart (which isnt that complicated to understand to begin with) would change what the game actually is imo. We currently have the junctions that tell us what is needed to progress just as we have the paths between nodes on planets, more than that just shouldnt be needed. 

18 hours ago, Lutesque said:

I firmly Disagree 🤨...I mean they legit had to rework Archwings because of how bad they were to control...

Not really.... I didn't know Void Mode makes you invulnerable... I only assumed it made you invisible. 

Also Operators are mostly useless at first.... Their Usefulness comes into play after they've been Upgraded which is never explained so that's a problem...

But what does that have to do with needing tutorials or not? They could add the most flashy and understandable tutorial for K-Drives if they wanted, it would still be hoovering S#&$e in the end. And the operator thing regarding invulnerable or invisible, and how good or bad they are, same thing, what does it have to do with a tutorial? It is part of the game to figure out certain mechanics with certain skills. Most frames have hidden mechanics in their skills aswell and only the most basic is explained.

1 hour ago, ShortCat said:

Insignificant anecdotal data points compared to the overal sample size.

That isnt anecdotal data, it is called an unknown variable. Anecdotal would be something that someone has seen or experienced. This is an unknown variable rooted in a simple fact of how the numbers interact between Steam and WF. Which makes WF an outlier aswell in Steam statistics compared to games like Destiny 2, a game where you get all the PC numbers from a single place. Although, Steam is overall flawed since it doesnt show total active players for any game, just total players since the game released. And if you take a moment to just do some googling you can see the numerous threads regarding warframe and bugged steam achievments all the way back since release.

So whatever comes from Steam I take with a grain of salt if it isnt concurrent numbers, since those are the only numbers we can somewhat rely on properly since they show the most recent data for the game. 8 years of potentially bugged data from achievments along with other flaws isnt what I'd call reliable.

For any game with more than a modicum of complexity, a well scripted tutorial is always a good thing.  The key-part there being well-scripted, as one done badly is worse than none at all.

On locating the how to build something, yes that's pretty bad and also maybe a failure in the interface, and perhaps people afraid of clicking stuff in a game with microtransactions.  Hard for me to judge fairly as I find the wiki so good at answering all my questions and have always used that since I started playing.

4 hours ago, _R_o_g_u_e_ said:

Bro, Digital extremes don’t need  “living example,” they know their game has an extremely high wash out rate. Literally every game does.

Go into any games achievements and look at the first achievement, finishing the tutorial etc, the completion will rarely be above 50-60%

Then the first level 30-40%, 

and by the end of the game it’s normally always less 10-25%

This problem isn’t new or unique to warframe. It’s also really not a problem, warframe is a free game. There is no barrier to entry at all. What you’ve outlined isn’t a problem, it’s the basic economics of video games, and the fact you felt it was revolutionary enough to proclaim with importance is kind of embarrassing.

You just prove what others say here that no amount of tutorials would help
Since some ppl either are to lazy or just cant read and understand what they jest reed

Where i did say its a problem?
I just pointed out observation and in title i even ask others "do they believe?"
So im not pointing to a problem im just asking others for their opinion

Where did i say its question to digital extremes?
Where obviously its to forum users

Either learn to read or try to understand what you just reed before you comment on it

1 hour ago, ShortCat said:

Glad to see you wear your clown nose in the open.

Lol, seriously?

Player pacing / UI tooltips > Tutorials

Big and complex tutorials (you know, like the ones all of you are demanding, since the ones that exist in game apparently are "too shallow") overwhelms players with info they don't need to know yet. EVE online was so bad at this that like a month or 2 ago they had to remake their tutorial system and the focus they indeed take was "player pacing" instead adding even more tutorials: https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/eve-online-update-makes-the-game-more-accessible-for-newcomers/z3396a (so they "spread" their existing tutorial into a story mission). The learning curve was so steep in that game that even their tutorials were a massive pain to play if you are a casual player (you know, most of the gaming market around the world, hence why idle/auto games or "hypercasual" games are the most popular kind of games right now https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/hypercasual-mobile-games-introduced-millions-of-consumers-to-gaming-ultracasual-interview-crazylabs/ <in fact, look at that link and see if "tutorials" is the thing that devs are pursuing to create player retention>). 

So yes: Tutorials won't help player retention, almost every dev knows it and the general "good approach" is to make an artifical pacing so you can't stomp the player face over a wall of mechanics or text with less than 1 hour of play. The same situation happens when a player helps a new right here in warframe: new players feel too overwhelmed by the grind for "good stuff" or "mandatory mods" and they just leave.

Do warframe needs more stuff explained? Yes, but IDK if a proper tutorial will help, and I would love to push the "UI tooltips" in this game, but people doesn't even read the ones that already exist in game. Warframe also had pacing issues in the past but devs have improved and the pacing right now it's fairly good for an online game with no linear progression (which also makes things more difficult).

I know you won't answer this, when people resort to such childish insults it is only because they run out of arguments. Cheers.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

But what does that have to do with needing tutorials or not?

EVERYTHING 😱 !!!

They could add the most flashy and understandable tutorial for K-Drives if they wanted, it would still be hoovering S#&amp;&#036;e in the end

Atleast it wouldn't be a Confusing Hovering Piece Of S#_@.... Trust me... That's Progress 👍 !!!

And the operator thing regarding invulnerable or invisible, and how good or bad they are, same thing, what does it have to do with a tutorial?

EVERYTHING 😱!!!

It is part of the game to figure out certain mechanics with certain skills. Most frames have hidden mechanics in their skills aswell and only the most basic is explained.

I would agree... Except Experimentation is heavily Discouraged in Warframe.... Either through the Ecosystem itself or just through Societal Pressure from the Community...

54 minutes ago, Invisibleaxeman said:

For any game with more than a modicum of complexity, a well scripted tutorial is always a good thing.  The key-part there being well-scripted, as one done badly is worse than none at all

Warframe's problem is that even if the Tutorial is good.... The Design will just Contradict it ...

For example... You learn all the differences between Health and Damage Types... Only to come across Bosses that don't feel like playing by The Rules anymore like Profit Taker and The Eidolons.

21 minutes ago, ZeroX4 said:

You just prove what others say here that no amount of tutorials would help
Since some ppl either are to lazy or just cant read and understand what they jest reed

I think I'm just going to add everyone who thinks like this to my Ignore Filter... 🤔... It's such a close minded way of thinking.

19 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

EVERYTHING 😱 !!!

Atleast it wouldn't be a Confusing Hovering Piece Of S#_@.... Trust me... That's Progress 👍 !!!

EVERYTHING 😱!!!

I would agree... Except Experimentation is heavily Discouraged in Warframe.... Either through the Ecosystem itself or just through Societal Pressure from the Community...

The K-Drive would be just as confusing for me since I'd forget all the moves no matter how long the tutorial would be.

And I disagee with experimentation being heavily discouraged in WF. The game is easy so gives us more than enough room to experiment and be successful with our builds. So the ecosystem itself promotes it while the "pressure" from the community doesnt reflect the voice or opinions of DE. If you care about what the community thinks is correct or not that is on you.

20 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Warframe's problem is that even if the Tutorial is good.... The Design will just Contradict it ...

Your point is true, especially as many of the mechanics are still 'in beta', but I don't agree that a tutorial can be good while the design contradicts it, what you end up with in this case is a bad tutorial.  Will give some leeway to the designers to allow for 'discovering' boss mechanics, though I must admit as a wiki user I've never went into any fight in Warframe without knowing everything about the mechanics.

The game should be complete, not having an in game process to actually continue the game is a failure. The resources to continue the game should not be on some third party site with user generated content.

The fact that external resources exist is a nice boon, some are even preferred to in game features, like Warframe Market. External control of an exchange system means protection from developers manipulating the economy. There are in game trading options, but DE isn't required to make them robust. That's an unnecessary luxury. 

Finding out how to equip weapons, prepare frames, and proceed with the game are necessities, for the developer, not the player, the player can play something more accessible, the developer needs to preform in order to earn its customers. 

I'm not sure what the challenge is either, there's probably an archive of solutions for the developer to peruse and compare, right here in the forum. I'm sure most of them are as amateur as expected, but in a global community of thousands, some of the suggestions must be ideal. 

For the specific problem of modding, the least they could do is automatically engage the auto mod option when you check the upgrade, with a basic pop up saying weapons improve with further development and customization. 

Color coding the UI selection would probably aid a lot as well...

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

I think I'm just going to add everyone who thinks like this to my Ignore Filter... 🤔... It's such a close minded way of thinking.

Thats some awesome idea 

"We do have manuals for hammers yet somehow some ppl are mentally unequipped to wield them"
Proving that no amount of information will help someone who is stupid

Just like these forums
Just because someone have account here does not mean he/she can read and understand what he/she just reed

And you are prime example of that
Like i was repeating over and over i am living example of the fact that ppl quits when left without guidance and help
So obviously im ALL IN for more info i just state that like my screenshot from OP proves for some ppl no amount of info and guides will actually help
So we cant expect that for EVERYONE guides tutorials or any help will solve the issue

Like in your case we expect (just because you can read) you to in fact understand what you just reed
But you just proven that even if "someone" have all the info needed laid down in front of their face he will still have problem understanding/acknowledging information/help provided

How does it feel to be example of something that you claim not to be true?

Well guess i wont find out since its about time to expand my ignore list by your nickname ;)

I'm going to go for 'yes and no'.

What Warframe needs are Quest-styled Tutorials. By that I mean there should be a Quest that comes after the Vor's Prize quest that introduces players to essential systems in the game, like Modding, like the Relays, Syndicates, Teshin and so on.

Let's use Teshin as an example; the majority of players now first meet him in The Second Dream, which is kind of stupid. They have no idea who he is, what he's doing here, or why he's interested in helping us.

And then the next time they meet him is in The War Within and they have no idea why they should even care about this guy.

So, what I propose is something really simple; a secondary Quest called 'The Relays'.

It's available after Vor's Prize and triggered from unlocking the first Junction, where you encounter the second Enemy type (Corpus). What this does is take you to the Earth Relay, in its own quest-style instance for your own enjoyment (not having to deal with the other players loading in and out all the time). In this, Darvo greets you at the door and will guide you around the Relay to introduce you to the different characters.

You then have to do easy fetch-quests for them in order to show how you interact with them. For example, you get to choose a Syndicate to join, it shows you how to equip their Sigil and then you go on a mission where it deliberately gives you the task of finding a couple of Medallions. You then return, trade those in, and see how it affects Standing. Then explain how you can reach your Daily Cap of Standing, but go beyond it with the Medallions and by completing Syndicate Missions.

Darvo walks you past a cut-out of Baro Ki'Teer and makes some snide comment about how 'that guy' shows up from time to time too.

Then he takes you down to Simaris to introduce the whole 'Sanctuary' concept and simple camera pans show you the Mastery Tests corridor, the Scans section, the shop section and Simaris sends you on a one-time capture quest with the new items in your Gear Wheel.

You also get to go to the Simulacrum and here we go through the basics of modding. It shows you how to pick out one of each kind of enemy, how to spawn them at a given Level, and auto-spawns them with AI turned off for this. Short directions show you how your weapon does different damage against the enemy types, and then you can go to equip some basic mods, showing how damage types affect the enemies differently. Simple shooting-range style of instruction.

Then after a short detour to his own Shop, Darvo introduces you to Teshin who, being a man of action, explains that he's there to help hone your skills and throws you into a mock-version of PvP, but against a few bots instead. (This way you can choose, right from the start, if you want to pay any attention to PvP or not, but you get that important introduction to the idea anyway.)

tl;dr

A second quest that actually introduces the characters you'll be actually interacting with, gives you explicit instanced content that will demonstrate the basics of things like Syndicate missions, Teshin's role, Simaris' content and... most importantly... a Modding Tutorial.

But it's specifically all in-game and cannot be ignored that way.

You aren't forced to go to the Wiki, you aren't forced to go to YouTube, you can't miss this and it's going to be there for all new players to show them a few more of the basics of this game before they set off into the wider parts of it.

8 hours ago, ZeroX4 said:

The phrase "i try to keep it as short as possible just so you could understand something" is an insult to my intelligence. Don't pretend like you didn't intend it that way.

I think it is a step into the right direction. New players are often lost and confused by all the systems that were added in recent years.

When I started it was a bit more straightforward, unlock the star chart, collect void keys and use void keys for void tower missions.

Archived