The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Prime Resurgence Dev Workshop & FAQ

[DE]Danielle

What is the reason for tokenizing these cosmetic purchases by introducing another, but untradeable, premium currency? The only reasons I can think of are exploitative and negative for consumers. I can see why you don't want it to be platinum, it includes cosmetics which have always been pay to own only. But why can I not just buy the exact prime things I want with the tokens I am used to, namely regular money? What is the reason for tokenizing this purchase?

The answer to that is of course the same as it always is with these kind of systems: Tokenizing purchases and introducing an unneeded extra step between the consumer and the item they wish to purchase is done exclusively to obfuscate the real cost and to make consumers overspend because the tokens are only available in inconvenient packs. I can link to research papers and talks about this model, but you have definitely seen these anyway.

This is frequently done in scummy f2p games and I am very saddened by seeing DE testing the waters to see if they can do it too.

You want our feedback on this, so here's mine: I hate it. I see this as described above. You state your intentions are different but to me that doesn't matter. To me and many others, regardless of your intentions, this is seen as a testrun from you to explore more exploitative monetization schemes.

4 minutes ago, Fruchtpudding said:

What is the reason for tokenizing these cosmetic purchases by introducing another, but untradeable, premium currency? The only reasons I can think of are exploitative and negative for consumers. I can see why you don't want it to be platinum, it includes cosmetics which have always been pay to own only. But why can I not just buy the exact prime things I want with the tokens I am used to, namely regular money? What is the reason for tokenizing this purchase?

The answer to that is of course the same as it always is with these kind of systems: Tokenizing purchases and introducing an unneeded extra step between the consumer and the item they wish to purchase is done exclusively to obfuscate the real cost and to make consumers overspend because the tokens are only available in inconvenient packs. I can link to research papers and talks about this model, but you have definitely seen these anyway.

This is frequently done in scummy f2p games and I am very saddened by seeing DE testing the waters to see if they can do it too.

You want our feedback on this, so here's mine: I hate it. I see this as described above. You state your intentions are different but to me that doesn't matter. To me and many others, regardless of your intentions, this is seen as a testrun from you to explore more exploitative monetization schemes.

I'm with you, I hate it too, to me it's just a cash grab, is this DE or Tencent pushing you to implement this system. 

-----------------

Long time players don't want endo in the packs that feels silly to players who are sitting on 300,000+ endo.

Just put it all in the Market and let us buy the full range of cosmetics, Syandana's Armour and stuff.

Dear DE

I won't repeat 90% of the posts on this thread. Regal Aya is scummy and predatory. And you intentionally designed it to confuse and exploit players, more specifically newer players. This system comes just in time for the New War. Convinient. So you release the new predatory system designed to trick new players just in time for when there will be an influx of newer players.

The event itself is fine. The system is a bit strange, but it's nice to give newer players access to the abuntant amount of vaultet frames.

But please remove raya. Make the accessories purchasable with money instead of doing the back-handed sly tactic you are using now. I understand that it's probably Tencent forcing you, but this lazy cash-grab will hurt you in the long-run. Yes. You will earn a lot of money from it, but lose a whole lot of respect and good-will

I wanted to briefly share my thoughts on the matter so that DE get's yet another complaint about raya. If enough people speak up. Maybe, just maybe something will change (but who are we kidding? They will never listen to us again. That is a thing of the past)

2 minutes ago, Hokkis31 said:

Dear DE

I won't 90% of the posts on this thread. Regal Aya is scummy and predatory. And you intentionally designed it to confuse and exploit players, more specifically newer players. This system comes just in time for the New War. Convinient. So you release the new predatory system designed to trick new players just in time for when there will be an influx of newer players.

The event itself is fine. The system is a bit strange, but it's nice to give newer players access to the abuntant amount of vaultet frames.

But please remove raya. Make the accessories purchasable with money instead of doing the back-handed sly tactic you are using now. I understand that it's probably Tencent forcing you, but this lazy cash-grab will hurt you in the long-run. Yes. You will earn a lot of money from it, but lose a whole lot of respect and good-will

I wanted to briefly share my thoughts on the matter so that DE get's yet another complaint about raya. If enough people speak up. Maybe, just maybe something will change (but who are we kidding? They will never listen to us again. That is a thing of the past)

I agree!

2 hours ago, (PSN)max141064 said:

DE already said that they are going to rework the amount of regal Aya you get for every pricetag, don't count your chickens before they hatch. 

Did they say they will rework the amount, or did they say they will look into it? 

Cause from what I can see, they did look into it and changed their wording.

Original text:

Regal Aya Pack prices are an exact 1:1 with what you could get before in the Prime Vault Packs 

Fixed version:

Regal Aya Pack prices are valued as closely as possible with what you could get before in the Prime Vault Packs

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

I was wondering if this is an update to test the waters for a new premium currency for the trade economy disparity among the different platforms for cross save. 

How would that work lol, people who buy every prime access have like tens of thousands of plat piled up. They can't scrap all that, people paid for it. And if they convert it to Regal Aya, how is that any different from what we have now.

On 2021-11-02 at 8:05 PM, [DE]Danielle said:

Meaning Regal Aya values equals to the same in the current Vault pricing:

• Purchasing a Prime Accessory Set = 3 Regal Aya or 19.99 USD
    • The same as an individual Accessories Pack.

This is a blatant lie. With 3 Regal Aya you can either get only 1  armor bundle or maybe if you are lucky a sugatra and sigil, while with current PA accessories you get both (regardless of combinations) AND 200 plat. Either you bump up the 19.99 pricing to have 4 Regal aya or bump down the armor bundle price to 2 or 1(i suggest 1 because we dont know what's the pricing of a syandana, if it's the same as the Armor, it would be impossible to get both with 3 Regal aya, like Nekros prime PA or Chroma prime PA).

This new Regal Aya token system pushes you to buy the whole pack so you will always have 1 to spare that slowly cumulates and eventually you can buy the missing PA accessories.

If you already have the prime stuff and want just the accessories you will have to spend more than with Old Unvault system because you will always need to buy the budle with 7 Regal aya if you want everything from a pricy accessories pack PA. 

Not cool DE.

15 hours ago, Disrevoid said:

I don't mean to be pessimistic about this, but this literally accomplishes nothing

It accomplishes a lot - as they said, they no longer have to worry about updating the drop tables for the new relics when a vaulting happens. I imagine that is a thankless task, making sure you've removed all the relics for stuff no longer in game, and added relics for new stuff whilst making sure hte other drop items inside the relics don't accidentally include stuff that should still be vaulted. This could be why we saw ember/frost unvaulted so often!

Fundamentally, this entire approach is about making the maintenance of the game much simpler. Now they can concentrate on important stuff instead of the tedious micromanagement of relic availablity.

The content in the packs might be "unoptimised", and the concept of "premium premium currency" smells a bit compared to platinum, but overall its a good thing for everyone. Esspecially as the prime vaulted frame that never appear for years will now be much more readily available. I think all the special, purchasable-only items will eventually appear in the new shop so there will be even more opportunity for players to get what they want too.

20 hours ago, DIDAKISS said:

don't think you(none supporters) should  blame the DE

Wow. Spending more money for a prime accessory pack where there is 50k Endo instead of 1200 platinum is less value to me, a customer. 

I will still buy the Edo Prime Armor which I am missing but I do not appreciate the direction they are heading into with this. Understand this, that you are a customer and yes, your purchase will also support the game. But you're also the best judge of weighing the value of something before you purchase it which I find to be not good enough since none of the prime packs are bundled with platinum. 

39 minutes ago, gbjbaanb said:

The content in the packs might be "unoptimised", and the concept of "premium premium currency" smells a bit compared to platinum, but overall its a good thing for everyone. Esspecially as the prime vaulted frame that never appear for years will now be much more readily available. I think all the special, purchasable-only items will eventually appear in the new shop so there will be even more opportunity for players to get what they want too.

Well not quite. It does not work like platinum. Platinum is an end-all currency you can spend on more or less everything in the game. Frames, primed items, item slots, rush stuff, mods, anything. Regal Aya however only works in the premium shop. And the value of regal aya infalted. You need to spend more money on regal aya to buy less items that you would do through prime access.

The normal aya, though unnecessary, is an okay idea, in my opinion. It does convolute the relic-aquireing process, but at the same times gives the player a much greater ease if they want to farm a specific frame/weapon.

But as I stated, Regal aya is a different story. The amount you get from each pack is intentionally unoptomized. The reason for this is to make the player spend more money if they want to get everything they would want. If you are okay with spending more money for less, but at a greater convenience, then more power to you, my friend. But the new currency is not healthy for Warframe as it has been presented thus far.

Also. The frames that haven't been available for years cost more or less the same with platinum on the market (this is on pc, I've come to understand that this is not the case for consoles). With a few exceptions like Loki and Saryn whom are very expensive (but dropped significantly after the reveal of this resugence).

2 hours ago, Hokkis31 said:

Dear DE

I won't repeat 90% of the posts on this thread. Regal Aya is scummy and predatory. And you intentionally designed it to confuse and exploit players, more specifically newer players. This system comes just in time for the New War. Convinient. So you release the new predatory system designed to trick new players just in time for when there will be an influx of newer players.

Respect and good-will are the last thing Tencent cares about, I assure you. Some may not be familiar with this company but it has earned its bad reputation, expecially among players, for turning almost every single game it touches into a cash-grab machine. I'm in deep worry about DE's future.

1 minute ago, Elion91 said:

Respect and good-will are the last thing Tencent cares about, I assure you. Some may not be familiar with this company but it has earned its bad reputation, expecially among players, for turning almost every single game it touches into a cash-grab machine. I'm in deep worry about DE's future.

Yes, I am sadly aware... If only DE had the power to overturn their even more corporate overlords. If this continues it will most likely end Warframe as we know it. It will become just another free to play mobile game. It will earn a lot of money for Tencent, and the players will hate them. But Tencent does not care because the whales are the important players in this type of a game.

Personally, I would like a little more biodiversity in my ocean. Some small fish, some big fish, and the occasional whale, you know

8 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

So the only thing players HAVE to pay for are prime accessories right?

I don't see how this is unfair. They're cosmetics. And only specific prime (gaudy) cosmetics at that. 

Where's the conspiracy? 

Yes, only cosmetics. The problem we're seeing is that we get more stuff with prime access for the same price. Or rather. We get less with regal aya than we should. That is the problem. And DE tries to hide this fact by making a new currency. This is a fairly well documented phenomenon. The more obscure and non-straight forward a currency is, the more difficult it is for people to accuratly convert the values. Therefore people are more prone to overspending. In addition to this the amount of tokens you get is very strange. You get enough for 1, maybe 2 things, and then you're just short of a third. This is a very common predatory tactic used by greedy corporations. Famously used* by mobile games

9 minutes ago, Hokkis31 said:

Yes, only cosmetics. The problem we're seeing is that we get more stuff with prime access for the same price. Or rather. We get less with regal aya than we should. That is the problem. And DE tries to hide this fact by making a new currency. This is a fairly well documented phenomenon. The more obscure and non-straight forward a currency is, the more difficult it is for people to accuratly convert the values. Therefore people are more prone to overspending. In addition to this the amount of tokens you get is very strange. You get enough for 1, maybe 2 things, and then you're just short of a third. This is a very common predatory tactic used by greedy corporations. Famously used* by mobile games

But they're a specific special brand of cosmetics. DE can decide to charge 30$ if they want. 

You call it "predatory", but it's ONLY for a very specific group of cosmetics. They aren't even the best cosmetics in the game

3 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

It should have been plat.

Then, those who "farm" tens of thousands of plat can get it without using a single penny from their wallets.

Very anti-player. Much Leyou. Wow Tencent.

Praise Bobby Cocktik, the fairest and just CEO of the world.

The only things that are purchasable exclusively with Regal Aya (cash) are the items in accessories packs.

Which is the same as it's been since 2013. PA cosmetics have always been cash-only. Before Tencent. Before Leyou. Always.

There are parts of this system to complain about, but this ain't one of them.

Archived