Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remember Styanax?

Ok ok, remember when DE made such a big deal about Styanax, and then he disappeared after a couple weeks? 

Like he had so much going for him: grouping cc, tons of energy Regen, crit chance, armor strip, and a decent 4th ability and even then, he still disappeared very quickly. 

Not only that, but it's funny that he basically has made no mention since his release, and (outside of possibly getting augments) he probably won't be mentioned until he gets a prime Warframe.

He was getting lots of love when he came out.

Then he got nerfed.  There's so many warframes though. That one who doesn't immediately get a cult following everyone forgets it exists.

I was playing him last night and I suppose he was so rare someone in the squad had to link him in chat to know what I was using. 

20 минут назад, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT сказал:

Ok ok, remember when DE made such a big deal about Styanax, and then he disappeared after a couple weeks? 

Like he had so much going for him: grouping cc, tons of energy Regen, crit chance, armor strip, and a decent 4th ability and even then, he still disappeared very quickly. 

Not only that, but it's funny that he basically has made no mention since his release, and (outside of possibly getting augments) he probably won't be mentioned until he gets a prime Warframe.

10 минут назад, Pakaku сказал:

Every warframe gets that

That's pretty much the circle of life at this point.

I'm a Rhino main. I play Rhino. The only times when i play anything else is when i'm either bored or just... I don't know, wanna get quirky.
I like Styanax, i really do, but he's just... He's just not Rhino. Its that simple. I will blow dust off him occasionally for fun and maybe some extra if he gets a Graxx skin.

From what i've noticed: the only warframes that actually do stick around on a community scale are the ones that are just... Stupidly OP.
... Who's a good example of a recent Warframe that genuinely stuck around?... Hmmm...

The first that comes to mind is Wisp with her stupid power-flowers.
Harrow and his silly crits and infinite energy generation.
Hildryn effectively being immortal... Warframes like that.

I don't even remember who was released before Styanax... Lavos? He's pretty much gone too. The... water girl? She's gone, even with the rework.
Hell, even fresh-off-conveyor Voruna is barely getting action because she just didn't bring anything new, interesting, or stupidly broken to the table.

So yeah... That's normal.

Speak of the devil, turns out I've been using Styanax lately and yes, he's pretty neat!

The nerf he got wasn't that big of a deal to begin with, and I didn't even play him before he got nerfed.
Not being able to spam an ability isn't that much of an issue, nor is it being unable to cast his other abilities while mid air, except Axios Javelin, that one should still be able to be casted while airborne, and probably have stats that reflect better its behaviour too, that "duration" is still wack.

Regarding the "making no mention about him since release", has any of the following and preceding Warframes to Styanax gotten any different of a treatment?
Why would they mention them anyway? They exist, we all know that, DE knows it too, there's no need to mention them unless something's going to happen to said frame, right?

It'd be small talk for no particular reason if they went about it like "Hey, now that we're at it, X frame - What about him? - Nothing, just felt like mentioning their name"-
It's life. New things arrive, people are hyped for new things, people gets the new things, next new thing is announced, people gets excited for next new thing*.
*Most of the time*
* Hopefully

Sin_titulo.jpg

I like Styanax, his kit is remarkably simple yet effective and I've always liked the ancient warrior theme: I reckon he will get a Deluxe before his Prime, and I'm hoping for a true Spartan lok with a bada$$ Plume/ Corinthian helm, for that true 300 cosplay!

THIS. IS. MY IDEAL . STYANAX!

200.gif

So he was treated like every single other warframe...?

Like I don't get what you're trying to get at here. Yeah they went an extra step with his hype by doing a collaboration but that's not that exceptional. Certainty not something to warrant some special treatment especially while being a frame that's behind so much progression.

And as far as his kit is concerned he still has all that going for them and the ""nerf"" that players love to harp on about did absolutely nothing to any of that. He's even in a better shape viability wise than a number of other frames.

34 minutes ago, (PSN)Pablogamer585 said:

Speak of the devil, turns out I've been using Styanax lately and yes, he's pretty neat!

The nerf he got wasn't that big of a deal to begin with, and I didn't even play him before he got nerfed.
Not being able to spam an ability isn't that much of an issue, nor is it being unable to cast his other abilities while mid air, except Axios Javelin, that one should still be able to be casted while airborne, and probably have stats that reflect better its behaviour too, that "duration" is still wack.

Regarding the "making no mention about him since release", has any of the following and preceding Warframes to Styanax gotten any different of a treatment?
Why would they mention them anyway? They exist, we all know that, DE knows it too, there's no need to mention them unless something's going to happen to said frame, right?

It'd be small talk for no particular reason if they went about it like "Hey, now that we're at it, X frame - What about him? - Nothing, just felt like mentioning their name"-
It's life. New things arrive, people are hyped for new things, people gets the new things, next new thing is announced, people gets excited for next new thing*.
*Most of the time*
* Hopefully

Sin_titulo.jpg

Yeah but what I meant was they were hyping him up to be the big #50, and yet he hasn't appeared in any marketing or anything special since then. 

Maybe they'll make his prime version extra special or something...

1 minute ago, trst said:

So he was treated like every single other warframe...?

Like I don't get what you're trying to get at here. Yeah they went an extra step with his hype by doing a collaboration but that's not that exceptional. Certainty not something to warrant some special treatment especially while being a frame that's behind so much progression.

And as far as his kit is concerned he still has all that going for them and the ""nerf"" that players love to harp on about did absolutely nothing to any of that. He's even in a better shape viability wise than a number of other frames.

He's Warframe 50. They hyped up the fact he was the big Five Zero, so you'd think that he'd make a few cameos in marketing, streams, etc. similarly to Excalibur.

Honestly he was pretty lacklustre imo (I might not have bothered with him pre 'nerf') and I'm not even 100% sure I've fully levelled him yet.... I can kind of understand why he was given away for free and it's not just because he was frame number 50 imo...

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

He's Warframe 50. They hyped up the fact he was the big Five Zero, so you'd think that he'd make a few cameos in marketing, streams, etc. similarly to Excalibur.

And we're already at 52. His marketing was the animation collab that announced him.

And Excalibur is special for being the very first and predating the game itself. No reason for any other frame to share the same level of spotlight.

We're at over 50 Warframes at this point. This is normal, it's been like that for years.

But I have to say my personal favorite warframe right now is Voruna. Her Leverian/Lore, the gameplay.

I haven't been able to put the game down while playing her. But Styanax is up there. He's fun and a good Warframe.

There are many layers to that "why a frame disappeared" question.

This game is all about looting or nuking or a combination of the two. It really depends on where you look when it comes to frame usage. Of course you won't see him in ESO or hydron, people use saryn or protea or volt for nuking; not in long endurance run, people are either farming or nuking, so nekros or khora; Eidolon? Volt; PT? Chroma because of credit and damage output; Spy? Loki or Wukong or Ivara. The list goes on and on. 

And then it comes to frame builds and stuff. Styanax was locked behind Kahl, so you have to progress until after TNW and Kahl mission. Surely it won't be as common as like Saryn or Chroma which were unlockable in regular starchart (ie refer to frame usage vs MR chart). 

Finally it comes to Helminth. Just like Sevagoth. Do you remember Sevagoth? No. You only remember gloom. Tharros Strike is a very good armor strip health regen option. Combine with the above 2 factors, it was really tempting just to subsume him to Helminth and make your other favorite frames OP rather than playing him. Once you subsume him, unless you really really love him, otherwise not many people will go over the trouble of Kahl mission just to craft him again - and even in Kahl mission, he competes with Archon shard for your limited amount of stock. 

I don't see why they need to give styanax special treatment (beyond what he already recieved) 

He also has the issue that grendel has , the acquisition (if you don't buy him or were there when he was free) is locked behind a grind that many find annoying and is extremely time gated (not to mention you need to give up some other limited time rewards for it)

And he also has a very good helminth ability , so with the task of acquiring two of those if they want the ability and also the frame some players just never bothered.

And finally while he is a good frame he is very easily forgettable (atleast for me) and i never was a fan of pure martial themes.

Styanax quickly rose to being one of my most used frames for a while there... at the start.

then the nerfs
I did not personally stay airborne long, since you're a sitting duck up there with no way to avoid damage really... so didn't care about that one, but the nerf to using his other abilities while in the air, hurt the flow of using him.

then the reason I liked using him (support for specific builds a friend of mine used, that synergized perfectly - based on overshields and super energy regen) ran dry because haven't played with that friend in a long while... and public groups aren't fun for me.

That said, would I have farmed Kahl for him? NO. Kahl's stock is better spent on archon shards. I'm going to wait until his Prime comes out and then helminth the normal version, so I'm not putting resources into the base frame... thus limiting my build options anyway.

I think he has a few points holding him back from being a really good frame and these things don't synergize internally, such as the range of his defense strip, when he's a frame that doesn't want to get close to enemies. The enemy gathering ability is unreliable (some enemies can't be pinned, and if you hit one of those, or just target the landscape, nothing happens) and hard to aim on the PS4 (at least for me.) And now that he's been nerfed, his going airborne is more a liability than a benefit, with no ability to CC enemies or strip new enemies of their armor as you kill the first batch with your death from above, unable to re-apply Tharros Strike to them, or regain your health for the entire duration.

As to the OP's original question... the only things special about Styanax were the fact he was the 50th frame (and he was given away free as a big promotion), and the anime associated with him.
They COULD create a quest in-game, where Styanax is involved with the introduction of the new Corpus abomination we saw... but that's the extent of his "importance" in the Warframe universe at this time. (this would be like making Yarelie part of a new quest involving the floating Grineer boss-type enemy in her comic.)

Only 2 kinds of new frames are used: Overpowered or those with unique utility. 

I've never seen Styanax for weeks. However there are quite many Citrines and even Gyres (overpowered augment was released). 

I recently started using good old Frost & Chroma because of Archon hunts.. ;-)

8 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

I still see Styanax here and there but this happens to every new Warframe. You can meet Citrine everywhere now but once the next Warframe drops you will see her less and less.

The only Warframe which I keep constantly seeing since its release is Wisp.

That said, I think the nerf to Styanax's 4 can be partially blamed as well. Personally, I stopped using him after that because it was a lot of fun for me to stay airborne and spam spears, even though it wasn't practical.

I'm not sure Styanax really had that much of a "big deal" made of him, all things considered..... other than that being the 50th one is a milestone worthy of some sort of note....  Yes he had the anime, but then Yarelli has her waverider comic/quest, Citrine came with a game mode dedicated to her... other frames have entire quests specifically centered around them (Mirage, Limbo. Inaros).

So yes, as others have said - He was the new shiny when he was new... and then the next new shiny comes out and that becomes the flavour of the month...

Archived