Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remember Voidshell Skins?

Raarsi

They really should have just started releasing every frame and cosmetic with the voidshell system. They said the only reason they couldn't retroactively implement it to old stuff is cus they use different code to function from newer stuff. Which tells me they should have been able to implement the system to pretty much everything released after voidshell was introduced. Then they could maybe just go back and occasionally update the older stuff to have it, based on what's being used the most, until slowly everything has it, without this stupid line of skins. If doing that really is such a massive endevor maybe have a little thing that says "Hey if we get this much platinum sales we'll convert x frame and/or cosmetic set to voidshell" and slap a progress bar on the platinum page of their site. Which would prompt a hell of a lot of people to buy more platinum to push that bar along. And now they're making the money to actually do it.

Then they could milk the hell out of it even harder by making more voidshell materials and charging more for them. Which people would actually buy because now all of their favorite stuff can use it on the skins they want to have it on, instead of only the voidshells skins. If this was what they did with the voidshell system you know what else they could've done? Had an heirloom voidshell texture in the heirloom collection, matching that translucent crystal material they have. Boom INSTANT money. Because now it's not only frost and mag with those particular skins that get to have that material if you buy it, it's everything.

And the cool part is none of that is predatory or scummy behavior remotely close to the level of some of the other stuff they've done. Aside from adding one more fomo thing to Heirloom but they already went all in on scumming the hell out of that, and throwing in a voidshell texture on top of it is not really much worse. It's all pretty acceptable, makes them money, and allows players to get what they want.

But instead. We got voidshell skins.

Edited by PollexMessier
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, (PSN)GEN-Son_17 said:

Varuna

Update 32.3 (2023-02-15)

NEW VOIDSHELL COLLECTION: EMBER

Adorn Ember in the morphic material created during the Zariman Void Jump. This collection includes the Ember Voidshell Skin and Phenareus Bark material structure.

Available for purchase via the in-game Market.

I think we will see more to come. 

If I had to guess, it may just have been whichever people were doing those skins, probably got busy/wrapped up with Duviri, which was pretty big, and thus had attention diverted. Duviri seemed to have a lot more new visual assets. Presumably with less intensive updates as far as certain types of visual assets, they may now have more time, and we;ll probably see another Voidshell before the end of the year. Again, just guessing though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Oberick said:

I don't get why they aren't building voidshell into all the new skins aside from wanting to sell the same skin twice.  Every new warframe should be a voidshell skin as base.

Presumably it didn't sell as well as they hoped, and since it wasn't making the money they wanted it's now on the shelf.

Hell, remember when they even removed a fun cosmetic bug option only to then SELL IT BACK.

I'd be soured about it, especially in a company that allowed the other visual bug to remain because players liked it.

The only way I am buying voidshell textures is if it's in a frame I like AND a skin I like.

The current voidshell skins are not something I like so far. I would like it is some of the existing deluxe skins had a void shell adapter.

I don't know if my sentinment is shared by others. But if it is and there have been very few sales of that then DE may simply choose to ignore it.

4 minutes ago, Oberick said:

I don't get why they aren't building voidshell into all the new skins aside from wanting to sell the same skin twice.  Every new warframe should be a voidshell skin as base.

Because f*** you, pay up.

No, you're right, it is kind of bull. Voidshell should be baked into the default released skin of every warframe at this point, locked until the player acquires some of the voidshell textures/materials. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ShogunGunshow said:

Because f*** you, pay up.

No, you're right, it is kind of bull. Voidshell should be baked into the default released skin of every warframe at this point, locked until the player acquires some of the voidshell textures/materials. 

I think it's more about time management. Voidshell skins fall right in line with DE's regular "heads down" approach whenever a big project needs all hands. TennoCon showed that perfectly. I think the art team may have the time now to get a few more done but I think all non-critical stuff got sidelined for now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PollexMessier said:

They really should have just started releasing every frame and cosmetic with the voidshell system. They said the only reason they couldn't retroactively implement it to old stuff is cus they use different code to function from newer stuff. Which tells me they should have been able to implement the system to pretty much everything released after voidshell was introduced. Then they could maybe just go back and occasionally update the older stuff to have it, based on what's being used the most, until slowly everything has it, without this stupid line of skins. If doing that really is such a massive endevor maybe have a little thing that says "Hey if we get this much platinum sales we'll convert x frame and/or cosmetic set to voidshell" and slap a progress bar on the platinum page of their site. Which would prompt a hell of a lot of people to buy more platinum to push that bar along. And now they're making the money to actually do it.

Then they could milk the hell out of it even harder by making more voidshell textures and charging more for them. Which people would actually buy because now all of their favorite stuff can use it on the skins they want to have it on, instead of only the voidshells skins. If this was what they did with the voidshell system you know what else they could've done? Had an heirloom voidshell texture in the heirloom collection, matching that translucent crystal texture they have. Boom INSTANT money. Because now it's not only frost and mag with those particular skins that get to have that texture if you buy it, it's everything.

And the cool part is none of that is predatory or scummy behavior remotely close to the level of some of the other stuff they've done. Aside from adding one more fomo thing to Heirloom but they already went all in on scumming the hell out of that, and throwing in a voidshell texture on top of it is not really much worse. It's all pretty acceptable, makes them money, and allows players to get what they want.

But instead. We got voidshell skins.

If anything feels predatory IMO, it's hanging a progress meter over my head for a cosmetic. I don't think that makes sense for anything except maybe charity goals or Tennobaum type stuff. Selling a straightforward skin on its own, no strings attached, feels more normal to me.

2 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

If anything feels predatory IMO, it's hanging a progress meter over my head for a cosmetic. I don't think that makes sense for anything except maybe charity goals or Tennobaum type stuff. Selling a straightforward skin on its own, no strings attached, feels more normal to me.

It's meant to feel like a sort of stretch goal meter. It just encourages players that want to see void shell implemented on every skin faster to buy platinum if they have the money, and doing so still gives them the same amount of platinum as before. Everyone else only has to wait for it to happen.
Without the monetary incentive DE wont put in the effort to put void-shell on everything ever. I think this would be the the best way to achieve that in a way that's not a middle finger to the ftp crowd.

Just to make myself clear on this. This isn't to make more voidshell skins. This is to put the voidshell system on existing skins. How the system should've been implemented in the first place.

It always boggled me a bit that they prioritized giving voidshell skins to the oldest frames that already had a bunch of other skins. It's no wonder it didn't sell well, why would anyone buy a voidshell skin of base Excal, Saryn or Mesa, when those frames already got a bunch of skins, including deluxe and the prime variants?

They really should've gone front to back, giving newer and incoming frames voidshells, and working their way back from there.

4 hours ago, TeaHands said:

They better not be done, I need more Chroma skins. I want to make Volcanic Rock Dragon.

Maybe when they finally get around to reworking Vex Armor and Effigy. (don't worry, that joke hurt me too)

4 hours ago, (PSN)GEN-Son_17 said:

I think it's more about time management. Voidshell skins fall right in line with DE's regular "heads down" approach whenever a big project needs all hands. TennoCon showed that perfectly. I think the art team may have the time now to get a few more done but I think all non-critical stuff got sidelined for now.

This is what I'm thinking too, especially with how much content we've gotten in the six months since the last time we got a voidshell skin.

And I do agree in that it does seem odd that they just don't apply it retroactively to current skins.  Maybe it has something to do with the art assets or something, although I'm sure soneone with some Tennogen crafting experience might have a better idea.

• Like 3