Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Prime Time #126: Vandal Reaction Poll

[DE]Rebecca

Reaction Poll  

5,131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok .. my 2 cents on this topic as someone who was here and got the Lato Vandal but did not get the Braton Vandal as I was unaware it was even there at the time.....

The Lato Vandal is pretty weak tbh and not worth much .. but it has served as a badge of sorts for me saying "I was here at the start". I mean I don't have Design Council access or anything else but my disciple founder badge, a headband I was given as thanks, and the Lato Vandal. Now I don't really need much as it were, I am quite happy knowing that not only did I help save a company worth saving (even if it was just a $20 founders package) but I was at ground level of a great game.

That being said MANY of us from then DO NOT have the Braton Vandal as far as I know so I hold no real issue with bringing it back if it's in a method that signifies dedication, but my Lato Vandal? .....

I'm sorry but the public can get access to that when you open up Excal Prime to the rest of us because the simple fact of the matter is that it was something you gave us as a special Thank You that I do not want to see diminished.

Voted 'no'.
And, for the record, I don't have either of them.

On 5/1/2016 at 3:30 PM, Chroia said:

The thing about event weapons, none of them are mechanically unique, and most of them aren't even "Best in Slot".

For the most part, all you're missing out on is Mastery exp, and honestly? You can get enough of that to get you past level 12 (which is the highest important MR atm) without ever leveling a single Prime piece of gear.

-snip-

Honorable mention/exception, the Dex Dakra are good and the Dex Sybaris is amazing (and both are quite helpful to a new player... but eventually there's the Tonkor and synd weapons, so whatever. :/  ).

Still not 'BiS', though.

Will I complain if they're re-added? No. Free mastery is free mastery.
But as opposed to the Snipetron/Vandal, which I did want returned (It's a hitscan, Puncture-biased sniper with innate punchthrough, which is 2 properties that no other sniper offers) -  the Braton/Lato Vandal aren't mechanically unique, or BiS. There is no good reason that I can think of to make them available again.
All rereleasing them will do is cheapen them, imo. atm they are one of the very few un-duplicateable signifiers.
(To wit: Braton and Lato Vandal, the Founder gear and sigil, arguably the Prime Accessories, and the event regalia. (Like that fine Quantum badge from Tethra's Doom.) That's it.)
Seems a shame to throw that away just for 6k mastery.

I mean, honestly, how many people will be using them 3 weeks after they're made available? Is it really worth cheapening them for that?

-----

Welcome back to business as usual, folks. :P
Glad to hear you had a good time at Tennocon.
And - I really can't think of a way to phrase this well - thanks for talking, Steve. For sharing your PoV, addressing peoples' concerns and chat's questions. For making yourself available, in short.

(There's a 'pink shorts' quip in there somewhere, but for the life of me I can't craft it.)

Edited by Chroia

The weapons aren't entirely useful since there's better equipment these days, but I do think they should come back.

I'm a bit of a completionist so I'd be nice to see these return, but in a unique way rather than just doing something to get them or purchasing them from the market.

2 minutes ago, Draketh said:

I'm sorry but the public can get access to that when you open up Excal Prime to the rest of us because the simple fact of the matter is that it was something you gave us as a special Thank You that I do not want to see diminished.

Again, legal vs non legal issues. I get that beta players want it to remain as a symbol of "prestige". but what is the benefit of that, really? Who even looks at your weapons ingame and go 'oooh there's a beta player'?

To all the people saying that you should get something special for being there when they were released - Are you serious?

I have tons of unique things dating all the way back to 2013 myself and have no way to prove that other than event specific badges. 

It's even worse in the case of things like my Frost Prime, all my Primed weapons and Prime Access cosmetics. I have no way to distinguish myself from those who buy Vault content and have to live with it. 

Now if people who were around are given a badge or something I would have no issues with that.

I see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't return. They were not gated behind a contract, did not cost any money to obtain and were simply a 'if' you received an invite to closed beta (I did, unfortunately during out of country work happens) or the other was, hey we are in open beta now, have a free weapon.

Vandal and Wraith really only were an 'open' Beta thing, and seeing as how we've already brought back the Snipetron Vandal, not bringing back the original ones is literally tripping yourselves.

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Interesting point that maintains a meta-signifier of sorts.

But if it's earned through login rewards, I think the stats might need a few buffs since other current login rewards are more useful than them (example: Primed Fury, Azima, Primed Vigor).

yes im in favor of it. i started in june/july of 2013 but i have 3700+ hrs in game and almost a grand spent on master founders and prime accesses.. 

id be ok with that and anything nonfounders being returned to the game. i would be ok with mock founders gear in the form of skins for non founders too. perhaps not gold but silver or some other change to it.

This is kinda an unfair Poll. Your Player bass has grown significantly over 3 and a half (roughly) years. And not too many people who have the Braton and Lato Vandal Variants are still playing Warframe. And the ones that are, are majorly outnumbered by players who came later on to the game. Like me, for example. I'm a Founder, as you can see, but I came to Warframe after the Closed Beta to Open Beta weekend. So obviously an overwhelming amount of people are going to want those Variants to return, myself included.

Obviously everyone would love the Braton and Lato Vandal to return to the game, however.

I do believe that these weapons are significant to older users, the Braton is a bit less significant though as we already have several variations of it whereas the Lato does not come in any other variations so I do believe that the Lato Vandal is something special to older users- it's an old weapon and should be kept to the older users. But the Braton Vandal I feel would be fine to release.

Personally? The Lato Vandal was a free gift for all those boys and girls in the old guard who made this game as playable as possible for free. The Braton Vandal however? SOLD during that same span of time. Therefore, it is very clear to me that the Lat Van should remain out of reach until the last Founder leaves Warframe while the Bra Van should return once again to be taken by those who can afford through time or money. Since there was no way for me to express this halfway nature, I was forced to select yes. My two cents, feel free to poke it fulla holes.

21 minutes ago, Bleako said:

-snip-

This topic isn't about any of the founders items. Steve gave his direct answer for that and as much as he hates it being exclusive, they have to stick to it.

Discussion is about Lato Vandal and Braton Vandal. Leave the founder stuff out.

I, much to my dismay, wasn't around for these. However, I'd be totally cool they never came back. Do I want them? Of course, for their prettiness alone, if not the affinity. However, there's a truth to space mom's words; they signified a meta-event, and a rather important one at that. So, ultimately, I think it's up to A, the people who did get them, and B, you, the Devs, to decide if they should return. I think the problem with that, though, is you'll need to somehow verify who has the items or who claimed the items, and make the poll open only to them.

Either way, it was a lovely Prime Time, I'm sorry I missed the first 20 mins! (Though, to be honest, if it housed the creation of poor, poor Gumpster(?) I'm not quite sad to have missed it. Nightmare fuel has never been so ANIMATED. *shiver*)

Love! And I'll see you on the next Prime Time/Devstream ^_^

1 minute ago, Edge_Hog said:

Obviously everyone would love the Braton and Lato Vandal to return to the game, however.

I do believe that these weapons are significant to older users, the Braton is a bit less significant though as we already have several variations of it whereas the Lato does not come in any other variations so I do believe that the Lato Vandal is something special to older users- it's an old weapon and should be kept to the older users.

*cough* Lato Prime for the Founders who forked out (myself, not included) *cough*

9 minutes ago, Terror-Of-Death said:

Who even looks at your weapons ingame and go 'oooh there's a beta player'?

I do, honestly. I like to see what people are bringing, what level these things are, and I typically build my Loadout around that. If they look like they can hold their own, I'll use whatever I feel like. If they're using older gear, I assume they're an older player and are able to look after themselves. If their Mastery Rank is 13 or above, I assume they can look after themselves and build my loadout how I see fit.

Besides, it's an easy way to start conversation and break the ice.
"Nice. You have the Strun Wraith? Did you get it recently or at the release of the Survival game mode"

8 minutes ago, Terror-Of-Death said:

Again, legal vs non legal issues. I get that beta players want it to remain as a symbol of "prestige". but what is the benefit of that, really? Who even looks at your weapons ingame and go 'oooh there's a beta player'?

I think it's more of a personal thing. Instead of being weapons they can show off to others, they're weapons that the individual owner can look at and admire.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Either way, if you want the opinion of someone who owns both Beta Vandals, I personally couldn't care less what DE chooses to do with these weapons. If they're brought back, that's great. If not, it's whatever. The mastery gain is negligible, and while the Braton Vandal is basically a Braton Prime with half the status chance, the Lato Vandal is ABSOLUTELY worthless in combat. No matter what DE decides to do, I feel it'd be no huge loss to anybody.

I want these to come back mainly because I just missed out on playing the beta - I actually stumbled upon this game 3 years ago by chance.

If you're going to bring them back, you should make them available only to players who have had accounts active for "x" amount of time - that way it's like you're thanking those who have toughed it out in the game for years. Imo it could be a reward to accounts who have been here for 2 years or more. Then the rest who haven't been here that long can get it as a login reward when they too have committed themselves to the game for a very long time.

It'd be fine if it was just a login reward but some people who have been with you guys for years and took a break and then came back are only now recently discovering the daily login system. Those who have been around since the founder pack days but missed out on the beta should get it automatically is what I'm saying.

8 minutes ago, PickleMonster21 said:

*cough* Lato Prime for the Founders who forked out (myself, not included) *cough*

I do, honestly. I like to see what people are bringing, what level these things are, and I typically build my Loadout around that. If they look like they can hold their own, I'll use whatever I feel like. If they're using older gear, I assume they're an older player and are able to look after themselves. If their Mastery Rank is 13 or above, I assume they can look after themselves and build my loadout how I see fit.

Besides, it's an easy way to start conversation and break the ice.
"Nice. You have the Strun Wraith? Did you get it recently or at the release of the Survival game mode"

Good points, I never thought of it like that. I usually just bring whatever loadout I like.

4 minutes ago, Roachester said:

I think it's more of a personal thing. Instead of being weapons they can show off to others, they're weapons that the individual owner can look at and admire.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Either way, if you want the opinion of someone who owns both Beta Vandals, I personally couldn't care less what DE chooses to do with these weapons. If they're brought back, that's great. If not, it's whatever. The mastery gain is negligible, and while the Braton Vandal is basically a Braton Prime with half the status chance, the Lato Vandal is ABSOLUTELY worthless in combat. No matter what DE decides to do, I feel it'd be no huge loss to anybody.

I'm fine if they don't bring it back as well, but the 'prestige'/Founder-exclusivity argument grinds my gears a little.

Edited by Terror-Of-Death