Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Prime Time #126: Vandal Reaction Poll

[DE]Rebecca

Reaction Poll  

5,131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If the developers are considering the suggestion, I'd love for these "rare" weapons to return. But if it ends up being a no, I'd understand as well.

For possible acquisition method, maybe for clearing all Starchart nodes or something?

Edited by Shiniko

As an owner of the lato vandal, I say yes, bring them back. Preferably, as tribute rewards sounds perfect.

As a note, do people who don't own either really should be speaking for us, who are the owners?

It just sounds bad when I know many owners who want to bring these weapons back to the public, but those who do not own are saying no. It is such annoying contradiction in my eyes.

They should be weapons truly earned, like as a log-in reward or as a reward for a series of hard challenges.

Original owners should get an exclusive skin, for the lato vandal atleast.

Otherwise I'd like to get them. I didn't know of the braton vandal, being a newbie-so it's hardly fair now is it!

3 minutes ago, oshunter124 said:

Does anyone have a video on that? I found one awhile back but it seems that the user had deleted his channel.

Not a great example since he's glitched and doesn't use full auto but he fires it a little at the start.

Don't have em, but don't think they should return.

The extremely limited availability of these two is the only thing that makes them noteworthy at all.  They're statisically terrible weapons in weapon classes that have many options - nearly all of them better.  The only reason I'd ever consider using a gun like that is as a status symbol - and if they return, they wouldn't even be that anymore. 

Bringing them back just makes them another common piece of mastery fodder, leveled and then forgotten.  Not bringing them back leaves them as that symbol.  I think that's more valuable.

Yes for Braton Vandal, undecided for Lato Vandal.  The window to obtain Braton Vandal was very small, and I'm sure that many didn't know that it would be available only for those 3 days.  Compare that with Lato Vandal, where anyone who signed up during that three (?) month period automatically received the weapon at the end of it.  I would like a crack at both weapons, of course, (I'd also like to upgrade my Founder's account, but that's another argument) but I would respect the decision to leave Lato Vandal solely for the Closed Beta users.  Maybe it could be awarded based on the number of hours played? :-)

Well, The lato vandal it sometimes say "uhuuu i played it in the first week of closed beta, im a VIP closed beta player, supporting the game since october 2012" (and it is not that "good" weapon).
I would really not amused to Lato vandal appears in the sorties, for me it is a signature, but if it comes, comeback with Excalibur Prime, because it the "Uniqueness" of lato Vandal will be blown away, do the same for the other stuff, like the Excal Prime.

It may sound selfish, but it had to be said. 

Exclusive rewards should stay that way.  Otherwise what is the point of offering those items to begin with?  

I don't have it and I wasn't there when warframe first started so I shouldn't have it.  If you decide to hand it out might as well hand out Excalibur prime to everyone as well.

2 hours ago, polarity said:

Could you make them 'milestone' log in rewards?  That way they would still be something to signify a player's commitment to the game.

This, this right here, is the best way to go about things.  Maybe make the Lato 350 Days and the Braton 400 Days?

i think it should be re-released or if not then remove the mastery EXP from it. i like the idea of getting special weapons,skins ,emblems, accessories for being old. i dont like the idea of screwing lower lvl players out of a CHANCE of catching up to players on top imo.

in fact id rather keep things like those exclusive and without mastery EXP, lato vandal braton vandal , excal prime lato and skana prime should all give 0 mastery EXP and remain permanently exclusive.

Edited by (PS4)IrSchm33

1 minute ago, (PS4)Elvenbane said:

Getting these weapons just doesn't matter to me, but since yes/no are the only choices I abstained from voting.

but felt the need to make a meaningless comment , strait up of no value to the topic what so ever. at least give feedback ,an opinion. or comment on a comment but please don't make Meaningless comments.

how do you feel about the missing mastery EXP that you can never get if these weapons don't become available again? i feel as if players should not be punished for not knowing about the game or having access to the game by a specific point

TL;DR - Bring the Vandal weapons back (please), but provide the older players with consolation in the form of exclusive player icons, emblems, and/or weapon skins.

I'm personally opposed to the "I was playing this game at this specific time so I got this exclusive content" infrastructure that's become more prevalent in free-to-play games over the past few years. I didn't get to experience these Vandal weapons when they were first released, and yes, I have a vested interest in getting as much mastery as I possibly can, but those are not the only reasons that I believe these weapons should return.

A relevant precedent for bringing back the Vandal weapons would be Riot Games' (creators of League of Legends) decision to allow "limited" skins from previous holiday seasons to return. The official announcement can be seen here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/store/sales/plan-vintage-limited-edition-skins. In this announcement, we can see they added the equivalent of a "profile icon" to symbolize that these players had been around during the original event and had also added special borders to the in-game splash for the skins. A worthy note is that these skins were cosmetic-only, and they still chose to bring them back; I think that content that contributes to a player's progression (in the form of mastery) should be given even stronger consideration for reimplementation.

I remember when that change was made. I remember some of my friends being upset that "Riot went back on their word". I remember them being unsatisfied with the mediation that Riot provided. And I also remember those same friends not even liking the skins they bought in the first place. They were only using them as status symbols to say "I played this game at X time" and laud the exclusivity of the content over other players. Even when they provided options to distinguish between the newly-purchased skins and the original skins from the limited events, those players still weren't satisfied because they didn't get to have their moment of "I have this content and you don't and you never will" over other players. I find that kind of behavior only serves to fracture a community of players into groups of old and new, alienating those that didn't get to experience content at a particular time.

Here's what I think we can take away from this precedence: if DE were to bring back the Vandal weapons (of which I am staunchly in favor), I think it would be appropriate to provide exclusives that allow the player to show that they participated in the closed beta or opening weekend. Maybe like Riot's icon, they could provide unique profile icons or sigils or emblems to signify these events. Maybe like the outline on the splash art, they could provide those users with an exclusive Braton or Lato skin to signify that they were around when the original Vandals were released.

As someone who didn't participate in these events, I feel like the original owners of the Vandal weapons deserve more than a sigil for their contribution and participation in the Warframe community. But I also believe that newer players (such as myself) deserve the opportunity to experience that content, especially since it provides a tangible contribution to the player progression in the game. There exists precedence and avenues of reconciliation for DE to satisfy almost all players involved. I would strongly question the motives of a player opposed to a resolution similar to what I've proposed above.

To those players that still oppose the Vandal weapons returning: apart from showing off your content to players that will never get to experience it, what do you lose from such a compromise? I don't have that much experience from your perspective and I would love to better understand what you feel like you're losing in the process.

And, finally, to DE: Riot made the decision to bring back their exclusive content because their data showed that less than a fraction of a percent of active users had access to those exclusive skins. As their playerbase grew far beyond their original expectations, they decided that allowing for waves of new players to have access to their older content was more valuable than maintaining the original promised exclusivity. You yourselves (referring to Rebecca and Steve in the most recent Prime Time #126) discussed how your original projections for the scope and lifetime of this game were far surpassed. Consider, then, the decisions of a fellow developer that found themselves in a very similar position. Whether or not you decide to allow the Vandal weapons to return, I have no doubt you will do your best to serve the community that has made this game one of the best video game experiences I, and many others, have ever had. Cheers, and thanks for all the hard work.

Edited by Xavier_Rayne
general errata and phrasing

7 hours ago, polarity said:

Could you make them 'milestone' log in rewards?  That way they would still be something to signify a player's commitment to the game.

That would be nice .. Status Symbol for vets .. it´s time :^)

but ... after 1800 - 2500 hours of playtime sounds better...

Edited by WaRsHooTer666

3 minutes ago, Xavier_Rayne said:

I think that content that contributes to a players progression (in the form of mastery) should be given even stronger consideration for reimplementation.

i dont think i could have said it better myself. beautifully worded