Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

On 2/18/2018 at 3:53 AM, LazerSkink said:

If we're going by time since the teaser, it's been 7 months. If the Sacrifice is not released by early March, it means we will have reached the point of waiting longer for the quest than we did for War Within (teased April, released November), minus, of course, the major vocalized disappointment from the community on the constant delays. However, this of course is due to Plains taking #1 priority for the entirety of 2017. 

Though yes, if we're only referring to Excalibur Umbra, it took 2 years to just get a teaser (and the quest is still not out).

And going by that teaser's copyright info, it was made in 2016 (likely after TennoCon, maybe around the War Within's development finishing, but that's just a guess).

And then the idea of Plains appears to have come out of nowhere.

And development of the quest seemingly didn't begin until recently. All this points to the teaser being very obviously meant as a crowd pleaser and nothing more, as in no indication that the quest is going to be released any time soon after the video was shown. I believe this is further supported by just how cheesy the thing is, with the flashy crumbling, the flashy movement, a conveniently placed Nikana stuck in a stone on the moon (because that's a thing that happens I think), the slow build up of just grabbing the damn hilt, and the flashy twirl (I wonder if he stayed in that position after the screen went black). It's obvious none of the clip's content is significant to the quest, it was just meant to generate a reaction by focusing on the one aspect of it most people have been anticipating. That's why I question why people wanted an Umbra reveal at TennoCon in the first place. What's there to reveal? It was pointless to make from the beginning. And even if they ended up teasing him (which they did), it wouldn't have mattered; we'd still have to wait (which we are).

Wait so...you're telling me they designed a teaser to....*gasp* ... TEASE us?!

OMG!!  HOLD ON! SUCH BETRAYAL, MUCH WOW!!  

....Really, people?

Yes, it was to get people's interest. That is the point of a trailer.

The fact that you're even critiquing his movements in the trailer, I won't even begin to state my thoughts there....the sheer ridiculousness ....

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

The small part about Umbra.

those 25 seconds can be summed up in a single pic:

Spoiler

mF1jfei.png

Kinda weird to see @[DE]Rebecca saying "I do think we don't want to be in the position where we were the war within where we say "it's coming, it's coming, it's coming" when that's already the current situation, and to make things worse, it happens right after the devs show the textures used in the next plains and righ before they go into a musicalized teaser of the next city which seems to be about to finish. it's been almost 3 years hearing "Umbra is coming to the global build" and 7 months waiting for the sacrifice, yet the plains of eidolon came out before umbra (despite DE claiming that they had been working on the quest for a long time) and now it seems like the next open area is progressing quite fast despite the claims of "we're working on the sacrifice" (with no proof of it other than their progress on venus lol). I used to Like DE because they listened to the community, but seeing them basically plugging their fingers on their ears while saying "LALALALALA WE'RE WORKING ON IT LALALALALALA" whenever they get asked about Umbra

PS: i don't care if this post gets me a warning point or something, I entirely understand that Reb and Meg (I love them both <3) are mainly a nexus between us and the devs and most liley know as much as us about Umbra, however this situation is turning basically into the devs trying to see how long they can delay it before we start getting upset or something since things like "-Umbra is still coming - we promise!" (from the overview) don't correlate with the nervous reactions from the devs before Geoff says "we're working on it" for the Nth time (just keep an eye on all 4 of them during the short time when they "talk" about Umbra)

• Like 10

I wonder how much info Rebecca has on Umbra.

She seems genuinely curious about it, at least compared to the rest whom always seems to prefer dodging the question or shows mild displeasure whenever related questions pop up in the devstreams.

Just prior to the venus terrain map, she kinda blurted out "Is this like Umbra?" before realising Steve just wanted to show the venus terrain more.

The look on the faces of the other four when she blurted it out..:crylaugh:

More importantly, if she does know something then, there may be a small possibility that Umbra/Sacrifice is closed to being showable/displayable because:

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

On 2/24/2018 at 7:41 AM, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

She seems genuinely curious about it, at least compared to the rest whom always seems to prefer dodging the question or shows mild displeasure whenever related questions pop up in the devstreams.

Just prior to the venus terrain map, she kinda blurted out "Is this like Umbra?" before realising Steve just wanted to show the venus terrain more.

More importantly, if she does know something then, there may be a small possibility that Umbra/Sacrifice is closed to being showable/displayable because:

I guarantee you Rebecca is not kept in the dark regarding development details. I think she even has a say in development decisions. She was just joking.

The reason she's joking by bringing up Umbra is because she knows the devs don't like talking about it, and the reason I think they don't like talking about it is because it's not a priority for them. For this year, Venus is the priority. Last year, Plains of Eidolon was the priority. And something else the year before that. I don't think Umbra has ever been a thing they've been serious about. If it weren't for the community finding out about Umbra, 1) we never would've been told about it, and 2) we wouldn't be getting it for the global build. It's only after community pressure that DE even said we'd be getting it. So I'm not surprised that they never want to talk about it, especially if they feel they were forced to add it to the global build by the community.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Freezing-Dragon said:

But the thing is...

Are they focusing on Umbra or they skipping for Venus again?

You know, I kinda think they just don't know what to do with Umbra (as in how to incorporate it) in the current Warframe-universe or they save it as some sort of last-ditch-effort in case the player-numbers see a huge drop at some point.

Another possibility would be that they're silently working out the lore and quest for it, and not making announcements until they have something to announce.

I wasn't playing for almost two years now, and they still didn't even do anything with Excalibur Umbra in our build, even though it was a hot-topic ever since Warframe China was announced. So yeah, it's been quite some time of nothing in that regard.

IMO Plains of Eleidon was a missed opportunity on implementing Umbra-Warframes. Their lore could have easily been made up to tie in with the Eidolons/Sentients in some way. Not saying Gara ain't cool, but it really was a missed opportunity.

Edited by RedEyedRaven

37 minutes ago, Freezing-Dragon said:

But the thing is...

Are they focusing on Umbra or they skipping for Venus again?

i dunno ,

from what ive seen and read per repeated dev streams , twitters, ect  i draw a few connections but this is all very "hypothetical" 

we know they've stated prior

"we are working on umbra & sentient content" so i derive this context from that

they have developed edilons, vomvalysts and have the carrier sentient as well as "arm blade" sentient things in dev 

Spoiler

Image result for warframe sentientImage result for warframe sentient

later we got the sacrifice teaser in 2017 which is dated for 2016 

its very short and discusses ballas who has now appeared per apostasy prologue  , who many thought dead or at least might return [well confirmed lol]

Spoiler

Image result for warframe ballasImage result for warframe ballas

further down we have that ballas has aspecial two handed nikana/sword? special to him and weve seen umbra with a plain old nikana

linking now back to TSD hunhow grants stalker war and armor, the first real sentient class weapons 

and we know shadow stalker is derived from umbras body minus the arm blades and head 

Spoiler

zAYEexc.jpg2zob584.pngIMEvU6T.jpg

reflecting  that war was broken and further we only got the smaller half and now a new seemingly sentient styled  "nikana" blade is in the works, and as it stands only sentient weapons weve obtained are through hunhow&stalker combo , another factor is the blade has this black shadowy cloaks attached to it  .....

Spoiler

DW0Jy4FX4AEJuhN.jpg

might reflect these things are tied together in a interesting way

ballas, stalker, lotus/margulus, sentient factions

its possible a few things are happening in the background 

also steve stating about finishing up the sacrifice quest might suggest its closer to completion then we thought

3 minutes ago, (Xbox One)EternalDrk Mako said:

i dunno ,

from what ive seen and read per repeated dev streams , twitters, ect  i draw a few connections but this is all very "hypothetical" 

we know they've stated prior

"we are working on umbra & sentient content" so i derive this context from that

they have developed edilons, vomvalysts and have the carrier sentient as well as "arm blade" sentient things in dev 

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for warframe sentientImage result for warframe sentient

later we got the sacrifice teaser in 2017 which is dated for 2016 

its very short and discusses ballas who has now appeared per apostasy prologue  , who many thought dead or at least might return [well confirmed lol]

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for warframe ballasImage result for warframe ballas

further down we have that ballas has aspecial two handed nikana/sword? special to him and weve seen umbra with a plain old nikana

linking now back to TSD hunhow grants stalker war and armor, the first real sentient class weapons 

and we know shadow stalker is derived from umbras body minus the arm blades and head 

Reveal hidden contents

zAYEexc.jpg2zob584.pngIMEvU6T.jpg

reflecting  that war was broken and further we only got the smaller half and now a new seemingly sentient styled  "nikana" blade is in the works, and as it stands only sentient weapons weve obtained are through hunhow&stalker combo , another factor is the blade has this black shadowy cloaks attached to it  .....

Reveal hidden contents

DW0Jy4FX4AEJuhN.jpg

might reflect these things are tied together in a interesting way

ballas, stalker, lotus/margulus, sentient factions

its possible a few things are happening in the background 

also steve stating about finishing up the sacrifice quest might suggest its closer to completion then we thought

Honest. I had a weird feel on that katana. It look very close of that balla.

Oh and... Chance are that katana are either UMBRA related or... a reward.

10 minutes ago, Freezing-Dragon said:

As much as I hate it, someone in Reddit theorize the idea of our choice dictates which weapon we get as quest reward. Save Margulis and get Ballas' sword, or save Natah and get Sentient great katana.

Added the link: 

Edited by LogaMC1995

In the latest devstream, many people in chat kept chanting umbra as if they're dying slowly. Then suddenly, Reb mentioned umbra and twitch chat looks like it's running on arcane energize only to crash and burn with primed disappointment. That pretty much shows how desperate some in the community are in regards to info on excalibur umbra.

Edited by Cyndocrit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Freezing-Dragon said:

on dev stream they stated the shadowy effects arent cloth based but more of a emmisive energy effect. why are they shadowy flame styled? ive never seen sentient with shadowy flames, and shadow itself ties back to stalker and umbra alike given the name 

1 hour ago, Cyndocrit said:

In the latest devstream, many people in chat kept chanting umbra as if they're dying slowly. Then suddenly, Reb mentioned umbra and twitch chat looks like it's running on arcane energize only to crash and burn with primed disappointment. That pretty much shows how desperate some in the community are in regards to info on excalibur umbra.

yea i was there, i just say, sacrifice update plz or something to that effect 

15 hours ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

The "Aww.."coming from Geoff right after she said that is kinda disheartening. 

To me that indicates that it's nowhere near showcaseable, let alone playable. 

Edited by Blade

49 minutes ago, Blade said:

The "Aww.."coming from Geoff right after she said that is kinda disheartening. 

To me that indicates that it's nowhere near showcaseable, let alone playable. 

They probably haven't even done any work on Umbra. They probably just put the teaser up for Tennocon and got preoccupied with PoE, Khora, and now Venus.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2018 at 9:14 PM, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

They probably haven't even done any work on Umbra. They probably just put the teaser up for Tennocon and got preoccupied with PoE, Khora, and now Venus.

Thing is, no work needs to be done on him specifically. All the work is for the Sacrifice. They've never been able to say anything about the frame prior to his established role in the third cinematic quest because they first had no clue what to do with him, and then didn't want to reveal anything that would spoil major content. And that's understandable.

And now, they really, really can't say anything because unfortunately for everyone (DE and players alike), the Sacrifice had to fall into Warframe's development timeline after the War Within debacle. DE was taught the hard way what happens when you tease upcoming content regarding lore in the alpha stages of writing, and now they're afraid to give even the slightest hint of progress. If they say it's almost done, people are going to lash out when it's been months and the quest still isn't out. If they say it's still in early stages, people are going to lash out wondering what the hell is taking so long. Better to just keep up the status quo and stay zipped, because the worst that can happen is the exact same thing that's been happening since the leak; angry anticipation.

They'll say the same things, "It's coming", "We're working on it", and they will be met with the same dissatisfaction. The evil you know is better than the evil you don't, except that doesn't apply here because DE is painfully aware of both evils. So in this case, the evil you're used to now is better than the evil you'd rather not have to go through again because said evil is a lose-lose for everyone.

2 hours ago, LazerSkink said:

Thing is, no work needs to be done on him specifically. All the work is for the Sacrifice. They've never been able to say anything about the frame prior to his established role in the third cinematic quest because they first had no clue what to do with him, and then didn't want to reveal anything that would spoil major content. And that's understandable.

And now, they really, really can't say anything because unfortunately for everyone (DE and players alike), the Sacrifice had to fall into Warframe's development timeline after the War Within debacle. DE was taught the hard way what happens when you tease upcoming content regarding lore in the alpha stages of writing, and now they're afraid to give even the slightest hint of progress. If they say it's almost done, people are going to lash out when it's been months and the quest still isn't out. If they say it's still in early stages, people are going to lash out wondering what the hell is taking so long. Better to just keep up the status quo and stay zipped, because the worst that can happen is the exact same thing that's been happening since the leak; angry anticipation.

They'll say the same things, "It's coming", "We're working on it", and they will be met with the same dissatisfaction. The evil you know is better than the evil you don't, except that doesn't apply here because DE is painfully aware of both evils. So in this case, the evil you're used to now is better than the evil you'd rather not have to go through again because said evil is a lose-lose for everyone.

Well the first thing isn't that they had no clue what to do with him, imo. I think the first thing is that they didn't really intend on us finding out about him, and I personally don't think they originally intended for us to have him, only the Chinese build players. And he was only meant to be their Excal Prime. So, when they felt pressured into giving him to the global build (let's not forget that entire scandal and slow response from DE), they didn't, and still don't, know what to do with him.

And while they don't want to spoil The Sacrifice, I don't think that's the reason they've been silent. I think Umbra (the frame, the quest, all of it) has never been a priority for DE, so I don't think they've ever really put a lot of effort towards working on him. I think the reason they've never said much about Umbra, and why they can't even give an estimated release window, is because they don't have anything to say, because they haven't done much on him. Again, I think that because he's never been a priority for them. So they'll keep pushing it back. As I have always wanted, I wish they would just release the frame itself, or even just release it as a skin, and call it a day, because at the end of the day, I think most people only want Umbra for one of two reasons: 1) he's a Primed Excalibur for all those who don' have Excalibur Prime, or 2) his aesthetic is appealing, particularly the scarf and loin cloth.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n