Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

23 minutes ago, Nyx219 said:

Seriously, never knock when something takes a long time to make, the end result is nearly always worth it. As a former player of it, I give you STO as an example of how kowtowing to fans & rushing things backfires

The thing is, even tough DE claimed to be working on the quest during 3 years, it still was developed on a few months.

I know it would be really amazeballs to have things such as a cinematic quest long enough to make the LotR trilogy feel short, the ability to choose the stance used for EB (i'd love using a nikana on EB instead of a longsword), the scarf as an auxiliary attachment (so it can be disabled while keeping the golden attachments on the arm), and perhaps a lot of other things that could be developed in 3 years, but since that's not the scenario here, all we can wait is some mindblowing revelations and pray for the update to have as less bugs as possible.

Edited by ----Legacy----

Excalibur Umbra was released in Chinaframe in late 2015, before even The Second Dream came out, as their version of Excalibur for Chinaframe founders.  It was clearly dropped by the China team without any thought as to how it actually fit into the Warframe universe.  The fact that it's taken DE almost three years and two cinematic quests to work their way up to an acceptable gameplay and lore backing for an entirely new class of Warframes should be surprising to nobody.

I'm happy that it's finally coming soon.  But I'm also still enjoying the previous three years' worth of content.  There's so much stuff in the game now that just wasn't even there in 2015; there was no point on spending all that time focusing on this one thing we still know almost nothing about.

(Just wanted to get in the Umbra thread while I still had time.  Hi space mom!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beartornado said:

I would think it's the players with self control who have all the power.

So much for taking responsibility for our actions. Sure can't wait for the advertising campaigns that add another drag to the budget just to repeatedly tell you at every possible turn "You stop that, stop being excited, it's not coming out anytime soon" or "it's gonna be another cool entry but it's not that great, maybe a 6/10 at best."

Should we also start auto-locking threads discussing unreleased content? Can't risk the hype after all.

I'll rate this ridiculous/10.

First off, what actions? Trying to guess what the update will entail? There are a multitude of ways to show off details and concepts without spoiling story aspects and other features they want to be a surprise. DE's alternative? Go radio silent on the issue for years. Sure, parts of the quest may have just been finished this year... how were we to know that? Psychically? 

As for the rest, if I need to explain the difference between legitimate hype management for a video game company and... whatever you described, then there's a different problem.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rawbeard said:

I am literally sceptical even after the announcement. they tend to not have working builds when announcing and this is huge, so bugs can easily delay this for a week or two. and even then we might not actually get umbra

They wouldn't delay it to that extent because the announcement was mad live on the E3 Pc gaming Show, hence delaying it would give a bad impression about them to the public. Plus they have been working on it fir quite awhile now and already postponed it once to fix bugs and stuff. They even had somewhat of a gameplay featured in the trailer so to go as far as saying they don't have a working build and we won't possibly be getting umbra at all is quite a stretch imo.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)vl_Monarch_lv said:

I'll rate this ridiculous/10.

Mutual

First off, what actions? Trying to guess what the update will entail? There are a multitude of ways to show off details and concepts without spoiling story aspects and other features they want to be a surprise. DE's alternative? Go radio silent on the issue for years. Sure, parts of the quest may have just been finished this year... how were we to know that? Psychically? 

Radio silence was my first signal to stop caring about it pretty quickly after last years teaser. I never forgot about it but PoE was the starchild they pushed for fall so my attention directed to that.

Apostasy Prologue was the reminder that Sacrifice is still on the way, and I appreciated that they dropped that little surprise right before the Christmas break. But I've never felt the need to labor about Umbra and The Sacrifice endlessly. Maybe it helps that as much as I adore this game I play other games too.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)vl_Monarch_lv said:

As for the rest, if I need to explain the difference between legitimate hype management for a video game company and... whatever you described, then there's a different problem.

What I described was intentionally ridiculous. Hype management itself suggests DE was forcing any kind of Hype for The Sacrifice outside of reminding us it's the next exciting entry in the story but it's still a work in progress.

Seriously, compare what they've done to "Hype" The Sacrifice vs what they did for Plains of Eidolon. One of them was clearly DE driven, the other was player driven. If you can't tell the difference there then there is indeed a different problem.

• Like 1

Just now, Blade said:

Wonder if the update is coming tomorrow. Hope so, it's my last day off for about a week or so.

yes pls, come on DE, gimme umbra tomorrow, i've been patiently waiting for it since you released him in china (even though thats excal umbra and this one seems to be just umbra, which IMO its even better <3)

• Like 1

The worst part is knowing that once the update drops I'm going to have to wait a few hours for it to download, what with my weak internet. And I can't kill time by browsing the forums or streams because of spoiler reasons so the only thing to do in that time is curl up in the feotal position and try not to get too excited.

1 minute ago, Omnijack said:

The worst part is knowing that once the update drops I'm going to have to wait a few hours for it to download, what with my weak internet. And I can't kill time by browsing the forums or streams because of spoiler reasons so the only thing to do in that time is curl up in the feotal position and try not to get too excited.

I know your pain 😭

27 minutes ago, Beartornado said:

Seriously, compare what they've done to "Hype" The Sacrifice vs what they did for Plains of Eidolon. One of them was clearly DE driven, the other was player driven. If you can't tell the difference there then there is indeed a different problem.

As I clearly stated hype management. And you proved my point. DE managed the hype for POE. They did demos, Q&A's, they showed it off, and told us a great deal about it and what it would entail. They're failure to do that for Sacrifice isn't our fault. If, when it eventually comes out, people are disappointed because they're comparing it to what they imagined, then that is their fault. Until then, its squarely in DE's court. And it's been a mismanaged one. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Omnijack said:

Has there been any word on the size?

8 minutes ago, (PS4)vl_Monarch_lv said:

As I clearly stated hype management. And you proved my point. DE managed the hype for POE. They did demos, Q&A's, they showed it off, and told us a great deal about it and what it would entail. They're failure to do that for Sacrifice isn't our fault. If, when it eventually comes out, people are disappointed because they're comparing it to what they imagined, then that is their fault. Until then, its squarely in DE's court. And it's been a mismanaged one. 

I still don't understand what DE is at fault for. You seem to say the players are, or rather will be, at fault for overhyping themselves once The Sacrifice comes out. However DE is at fault for.. not showing off The Sacrifice before it releases?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beartornado said:

I still don't understand what DE is at fault for. You seem to say the players are, or rather will be, at fault for overhyping themselves once The Sacrifice comes out. However DE is at fault for.. not showing off The Sacrifice before it releases?

Players are at fault when they're disappointed when the product isn't as good as their imaginings. This will come after it releases, you can set your watch to it. But before the release, it's all on them. It would cost them nothing to have come out sometime over the past few months, or years, and... idk, clarify that Umbra isn't some entirely new frame with new powers. It's an Excalibur variant, with all that that does and doesn't entail.

• Like 1

On 2018-06-09 at 8:38 AM, (PS4)BLOOD-LINE-01 said:

Thtas the reason why consoles don’t have the Apex skin? Because the creator wants ownership of it? Its purely a matter of pride?

I don’t think this is a typical hype site. The Sacrifice is something DE wants to keep as hush as possible.

On 2018-06-09 at 4:35 PM, (XB1)OTF SERENiTY said:

Oh my, thank you so much! May I ask, wasn’t your old IGN AntoineFlemming? 

So, I contacted [DE]Taylor, and she told me there are a number of criteria that determine which items go to console from PC, but that DE is the one who reaches out to creators to get their content transferred to console. She said that due to how busy they are, she really doesn't know what plans they have to bring more older content to console. Probably not exactly great news, but DE determines which content goes over, not the creator. She also didn't tell me what that criteria was, just that DE reaches out to creators when they want to transfer their content. Maybe if people ask DE to transfer the content, they'll do it if there's enough demand.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)vl_Monarch_lv said:

Players are at fault when they're disappointed when the product isn't as good as their imaginings. This will come after it releases, you can set your watch to it. But before the release, it's all on them. It would cost them nothing to have come out sometime over the past few months, or years, and... idk, clarify that Umbra isn't some entirely new frame with new powers. It's an Excalibur variant, with all that that does and doesn't entail.

Dude, again, I point to the reference I made to blaming parents while growing up for being hyped over a gift -- you know you're getting something to do with what you wanted in the first place, but even mom & dad aren't obligated to spoil the surprise just because you can't stand it.

Maybe they want that to be the surprise.

With this last trailer's release and the "Umbra Cosmetics" coming out I've started to wonder if DE has instead converted Umbra to an NPC rather than being a playable frame. Or even crazier if Umbra becomes an NPC and a playable frame, or if that means warframes themselves will be acknowledged as independent, aware and conscious entities that are player controlled like the Operator.

But that's all my wild speculation, that's where your complaint falls apart. I like the surprise, I think a lot of players do, but you can't simultaneously criticize players for overhyping themselves while also criticizing DE for failing to effectively spoil what they want to be a surprise just to calm the hype.

Edited by Beartornado
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Beartornado said:

Maybe they want that to be the surprise.

With this last trailer's release and the "Umbra Cosmetics" coming out I've started to wonder if DE has instead converted Umbra to an NPC rather than being a playable frame. Or even crazier if Umbra becomes an NPC and a playable frame, or if that means warframes themselves will be acknowledged as independent, aware and conscious entities that are player controlled like the Operator.

But that's all my wild speculation, that's where your complaint falls apart. I like the surprise, I think a lot of players do, but you can't simultaneously criticize players for overhyping themselves while also criticizing DE for effectively spoiling what they want to be a surprise just to calm the hype.

I really hope not. Making Umbra an NPC and not a playable warframe is a great way to piss off the community. It better be a frame. At the very least, we should be able to get those Umbra accessories (the scarf, the loin cloth, the helmet, and the chest, back, arm, and thigh pieces for both Excal and Excal Prime).