Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

12 minutes ago, Chaemyerelis said:

I recall nothing in the current lore that stated umbra was infected by a different strain than any other warframe.

I beleive it's the "lovingly cultured" portion of what Ballas states that folks are pointing at. Something like "The others, we gave them the industrial doses, we broke them quickly. Nothing left over afterwards. But. . . you? I made something extra special for you. . . I want to make sure you suffer every waking moment from here on out."

You could further stretch this out with the idea that, as the Empire was starting to crumble, Ballas went on an angry vengeance quest to torture everyone who had ever wronged him, making them kill their loved ones in an even more grotesque parody of the Marghulian Execution.

On 2019-01-12 at 10:44 AM, Chaemyerelis said:

I recall nothing in the current lore that stated umbra was infected by a different strain than any other warframe.

On 2019-01-12 at 11:03 AM, Unus said:

I beleive it's the "lovingly cultured" portion of what Ballas states that folks are pointing at. Something like "The others, we gave them the industrial doses, we broke them quickly. Nothing left over afterwards. But. . . you? I made something extra special for you. . . I want to make sure you suffer every waking moment from here on out."

You could further stretch this out with the idea that, as the Empire was starting to crumble, Ballas went on an angry vengeance quest to torture everyone who had ever wronged him, making them kill their loved ones in an even more grotesque parody of the Marghulian Execution.

in a nut shell the dax was onto ballas, ballas silenced him and then decided to experiment on him for funsies

from the info we have from translating orokin text on the teaser images, we know umbra (the dax) was subject nine , he was also outfitted with a transference bolt number 01 , which is probably a factor in his sentience and draw of void energy without an operator 

Spoiler

unknown.png

in this case our dax is awakened stating he will be unable to speak as the disease has taken hold of him 

Ballas: Good morning, old friend.
Ballas: I'm afraid the disease has taken your voice, but we've prepared the finest serums to treat you.

the serum itself is probably the disease concoction that is infecting the dax and slowly transforming him, to umbra

Spoiler

Image result for sacrifice warframe bedQ46UG5y.jpg

the rate of the infection spread shown by the infection present on the wall and the dax slowly taking on umbras form (scarf ect visible)  as well as the bags draining into him via the orokin device 

• 5 weeks later...

I know it has been asked a lot for mods in general, but it would be really great if DE could do something about it. Im talking about choosing the mod lvl after you leveled it up. I'm not asking this for every single mods in the game, just for umbra mods, since you can't get more than 1 pair and sometimes you don't want it max ranked. I'm building a super tanky inaros right now and I need the 3 umbra mods to make it work, but even with a bunch of formas, I can't place all the mods I want because of the ability strength mod of the umbra set. If I were able to just change it, my build would work perfectly. So it would be awesome to be able to either get a new set some way or change the lvl of the mods. 

This problem was meant to be. The umbral warframe mods are to be used on Umbra. Sure, you can forma the hell out of your other frames, but they still won't fit. It's nice to see people talking about their umbral builds, they surely put a lot of thought and effort in them, but personally I wouldn't do that. Tempting, but feels like you are sweating too much for something won't work perfectly anyway. And if you forma too many slots, there's not much chance for variability either.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Viveeeh said:

This problem was meant to be. The umbral warframe mods are to be used on Umbra. Sure, you can forma the hell out of your other frames, but they still won't fit. It's nice to see people talking about their umbral builds, they surely put a lot of thought and effort in them, but personally I wouldn't do that. Tempting, but feels like you are sweating too much for something won't work perfectly anyway. And if you forma too many slots, there's not much chance for variability either.

I made some Umbral builds and yeah since you basically have to forma every single slot you end up really limited when making a configuration B, C builds. That's why I only make an Umbral build if I already have 2 of the same frame so I can use the second frame for more flexible builds.

However I wouldn't say they don't work perfectly, you simply do not level other mods all the way and always level them to even numbers and you can pretty much fit everything you need. I don't even use Steel Charge on my Umbral builds, all (except Valkyr) are modded for Naramon polarity.

12 minutes ago, LightZodiac said:

I made some Umbral builds and yeah since you basically have to forma every single slot you end up really limited when making a configuration B, C builds. That's why I only make an Umbral build if I already have 2 of the same frame so I can use the second frame for more flexible builds.

However I wouldn't say they don't work perfectly, you simply do not level other mods all the way and always level them to even numbers and you can pretty much fit everything you need. I don't even use Steel Charge on my Umbral builds, all (except Valkyr) are modded for Naramon polarity.

It's a nice idea, to use multiple frames, haven't thought of that. Probably I'm just too lazy to go Umbra!

Would you mind posting your build? I'm curious, and it might help OP as well!

48 minutes ago, (PS4)Viveeeh said:

It's a nice idea, to use multiple frames, haven't thought of that. Probably I'm just too lazy to go Umbra!

Would you mind posting your build? I'm curious, and it might help OP as well!

Sure, Nidus is a good candidate for Umbral build because he benefits from Armor, Health and Strenght, at the same time he just needs extra range for his larva ability and energy efficiency is not an issue on this build since he regains all energy back when hitting 4 enemies with his 1th ability, and if he hits more then 4 enemies he actually gains energy with each hit.

So this is the standard build I'm using:

ShMltC3.jpg

Blind Range is leveled only to rank 6, even "only" 244% power strength is kinda overkill for 99% of Warframe content, efficiency is lower but it still enables for some mistakes. Adaptation greatly increases suitability and Hunter Adrenaline ensures that if Nidus does take a pounding he will have energy to pound back.

Now for starchart content I'm actually going to leave Blind Rage slot empty because it kills enemies too fast and I can't collect stacks 🙂

And this is a build for long survivals I'm using:

cD7dK66.jpg

On this build Blind range is at rank 10 and I used rank 4 Hunter Adrenaline and rank 4 Strech to compensate. 

In high level content Nidus is going to tank a lot of damage so due to Hunter Adrenaline energy will almost always be toped off, range got a really small reduction. Due to higher ability strength I get more damage on his 1 and more healing from his 4 and I need both of those to survive.

And this is a Valkyr build I'm currently working on, once again Valkyr benefits from Armor, Health and Ability Strength and other then that she basically just needs some durability/efficiency.

yhc2C3v.jpg

Now Arcane Energize is kinda overkill on this build, it really doesn't need it, Valkyr gains energy when she get's damaged and when the energy is full player uses her 4 gains immortality and kills stuff and gets healed in the process... repeats. There are a couple of things to watch out for, nullifier bubbles, energy leeches... but that's what I like about this build, it's not just immortal build like Inaros... player has to play smart to make use of it.

Here I do use Steel Charge both because of extra 4 mod space and because I mainly use melee with this build, with Eternal War augment I usually have to cast Warcry just once and it lasts for entire match. I modded her talons with Primed pressure Point, Sacrificial Steel (although just True Steel is fine too), Organ Shatter, Gladiator Might, Shocking Touch, Molten Impact, Berserker and Drifting Contact. Valkyr gets healed for 5% damage she does with her Talons and since radiation ignores 75% of the armor she will always deal enough damage to heal herself really fast.

Edited by LightZodiac

Thank you, LightZodiac, this is useful! Valkyr is my all time favourite frame, I even have a spare unbuilt prime, so what the hell, I'll just go ahead and try this, I guess. Earlier I got things the wrong way around. When I tried building something with the umbral mods, I always tried to squeeze them in between my mods I already had installed, instead of fitting more or less levelled ordinary mods after already having the umbral ones on. I also feel an urge to fill the exilus slot as well, but I see it's not necessary.

I feel that Umbral mod is alright as they are. They offer a upgrade to Intensify for a cost, other variant need synergy to be useful. It also make high MR people waste their forma. I appreciate the fact that you need to do sacrifice to make them work as intended. Having multiple of that mod would be a solution I guess but it remove the main purpose of Umbral, which is sacrifice. (as per the quest name)

3 hours ago, (PS4)Viveeeh said:

Those arent optimized build, they are made for my play style. Most my umbral frame has 2-3 Build it never actually stopped me even with Volt and Rhino. It just to show you there is option for most frame. And I will umbral all my frame.

Ash

Spoiler

FtNZv9K.png

Banshee

Spoiler

L297Fbz.png

Mirage

Spoiler

LKP1GQI.png

Nezha

Spoiler

K9WPypw.png

Nidus

Spoiler

8SHcZrI.png

Nova

Spoiler

l8h3bs0.png

Oberon

Spoiler

yXAEtgJ.png

Saryn

Spoiler

O0X2w9Z.png

Vauban

Spoiler

Jkci93o.png

Volt

Spoiler

BxqVmuj.png

33 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

How do you mod for Excalibur Umbra anyway  ? Does Radial Javellin do alot of Damage ? How about slash dash ? I can't kill level 50 enemies with either of those two Abilities and I REALLY don't want to run around every spamming Exhalted Blade. 😞

Well, generally speaking E-blade is best for ability DPS, so you'll be gimping yourself to some degree if you use him for DPS. Buuut, that's not the only thing you have to use him for! Try building him with a bunch of range and survivability and use him as a mobile weapons platform - emphasis on mobile. With enough range, Slash Dash lets you go really, really fast. Or, build duration/range hybrid along with the Radial Blind augment and Skiajati and/or Arcane Trickery to make him into a stealthy frame.

On 2019-02-21 at 6:24 AM, Lutesque said:

How do you mod for Excalibur Umbra anyway  ? Does Radial Javellin do alot of Damage ? How about slash dash ? I can't kill level 50 enemies with either of those two Abilities and I REALLY don't want to run around every spamming Exhalted Blade. 😞

his dmg does alot still, its like primed mods vs umbra mods but umbra is reduce bit small amount number as again its can be powered up if there is more then 1 umbra mod for using 2 or 3 its reach the point being more powerful its stand and increase Tau armor resistance.  umbra excal and prime excal there is massive different 1 move and 1 don't move which that is one of it and another one is 2 abilities which its heavy unique more the other frame for umbra excal is basically roaring lion who take out the buff of sentient and doing a powerful finisher, as for prime he doesn't get any unique boost or abilities for he isn't....well let just say he just little more fairly to be on be so.

7 hours ago, ChaoticEdge said:

his dmg does alot still, its like primed mods vs umbra mods but umbra is reduce bit small amount number as again its can be powered up if there is more then 1 umbra mod for using 2 or 3 its reach the point being more powerful its stand and increase Tau armor resistance.  umbra excal and prime excal there is massive different 1 move and 1 don't move which that is one of it and another one is 2 abilities which its heavy unique more the other frame for umbra excal is basically roaring lion who take out the buff of sentient and doing a powerful finisher, as for prime he doesn't get any unique boost or abilities for he isn't....well let just say he just little more fairly to be on be so.

On behalf of everyone no offense...what are u trying to say dude? lol

11 hours ago, ChaoticEdge said:

I literally didn't understand any of what you just said. Are you saying Umbra is only good for Sentients ? 

LoL... is that why I've been seeing some people bring Umbra to Eidolon Hunts ? 😄

6 hours ago, Lutesque said:

I literally didn't understand any of what you just said. Are you saying Umbra is only good for Sentients ? 

LoL... is that why I've been seeing some people bring Umbra to Eidolon Hunts ? 😄

someone (2 ppl) want me water it down.

I am just stating 2 mods that are different each other Primed mods and umbras, its the fact pointing power different from both of them accept for one party umbra has unique then primed.  Point another one the different between prime excal and umbra excal what is different or changes is been into for there barely any changes except for unique build and how been used.

I do see someone use umbra to eidolon hunt

5 hours ago, ChaoticEdge said:

someone (2 ppl) want me water it down.

I am just stating 2 mods that are different each other Primed mods and umbras, its the fact pointing power different from both of them accept for one party umbra has unique then primed.  Point another one the different between prime excal and umbra excal what is different or changes is been into for there barely any changes except for unique build and how been used.

I do see someone use umbra to eidolon hunt

Im sorry.... the way write is confusing.... I don't understand. 

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

Im sorry.... the way write is confusing.... I don't understand. 

geez so you want caveman talk version?  Fine I make it extremely simple

• Primed mods vs Umbra mods
  • primed excal vs umbra excal

All look fair but used differently.

Ask again I'll promise make it worst.

On 2019-02-23 at 2:44 PM, (XB1)Shad0wNuke said:

How about that Toggle for umbra's scarf.

said that and have still said it for 3+ years in a row 

On 2019-02-21 at 4:24 AM, Lutesque said:

well I have my build here (video below) and  also did a discussion while I streamed (i swap radiant finisher for adaptation depending on my mood)

my main system for exalted is chromatic augment  but if your not using chromatic use radiant finisher augment to buff damage on 4 hits while blinded 300% for IPS build

chromatic buffs status to be 100% so my exalted blade is just raw damage mods and damage elemental + life strike  

19 hours ago, ChaoticEdge said:

geez so you want caveman talk version?  Fine I make it extremely simple

think the issue is your going all over the place in your wording 

• Like 1