Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon: Sniper Review!

[DE]Rebecca

These changes look great and I'm looking forward to try them out again. The only other changes I can suggest is that sniper rifles are now accurate when firing from the hip and being able to increase/decrease the zoom from the hip. 

EDIT: Looking at the new combo decay mechanics, will there be a similar thing for melee weapons in the future?

What would happen if you manage to land a multishot proc (2 shots) and only a single projectile is needed for the kill? Does the second one count as a miss, as a hit or neither?

i.e

Clem has 100HP left, my Vectis deals 200 damage per shot, and I manage to land a multishot, killing it with one projectile. Does my second projectile count as a miss or as a hit?

2 minutes ago, Corial said:

I'd say compensation.

Its a bad compensation and I really hope they revert it. 

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)Tucker D Dawg said:

probably because the zoom was too extreme to begin with

It was extreme for small tilesets. Its another story in wide open areas like PoE. 

Just now, amadeusgrim said:

so charge time is reduced and fire rate is increased. so shouldnt the statement be charge rate reduced from 1.5 to 1?

charge rate means the rate/speed at which it's charged.. less time = faster charge rate/speed

Just now, Stoner74 said:

Its a bad compensation and I really hope they revert it. 

It was extreme for small tilesets. Its another story in wide open areas like PoE. 

Well it remains to be seen how far reasonable distances are given rendering issues etc.  My guess it that will will be rare indeed to be camping out popping shots from over 600 yards and based on the screen shot that shows what 300 yards is, the adjusted zooms with no sway should be more than adequate for 5-800 yards.

Heck - the marines have had to qualify at 500 yards with iron sights for years - no optics.

19 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Snipetron

• Second level zoom 15% Damage replaced with +50% Head Shot Damage

Snipetron Vandal

• Second level zoom 15% Damage replaced with +30% Head Shot Damage

Snipetron changes superior to the Vandal?

14 minutes ago, Rekalty said:

That aside, why are you lowering the zoom levels, and having combo duration be only two seconds, that doesn't make any kind of sense, aren't you supposed to take your time with shots, rather than just using them like semi-auto assault rifles?

Also this.

19 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Reticle sway removed from all zoom levels!

Many games have it so when you are in zoom you can depress space/crouch to hold your breath to reduce sway. But.. I guess removing it all together works too. 

Changes seem good so far, but the biggest problem snipers have left is consistency. Most snipers, besides the lanka, have inconsistent crits which is quite bad for a weapon designed to single target damage. It feels bad when one shot kills an enemy but the next shot barely makes a dent. Take for example the vectis prime and rubico, both only have 25% base crit chance which goes up to 62.5% after point strike. The rubico in particular heavily relies on crit for its dmg. If snipers like that could be buffed so that they can reach at least 90-100% crit after point strike I think snipers would be in a great place for the release of POE.

While most of this is great news, why lower the zoom levels? The complaint before was that it was too much in most tilesets but with PoE extra zoom will be welcome. I've been playing with all Snipers for a few weeks and the zoom is just about right for the Simulcrum let alone a field

Sweet, happy to see that snipers are starting to get a little love. I'd love to see a little crit focus for them like with the bows, but they're looking good all the same.

5 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

No removal of hip-fire accuracy penalty? These changes will be great for the plains, but without being able to consistently hip-fire Snipers are still going to be a pain pretty much everywhere else. 

Snipers aren't supposed to have good hip fire accuracy, it's not what snipers were made for.  

If you're looking to get sniper use in other areas, think about stealth builds for them. they would do nicely then. otherwise all that i can really think to say is that not everything is meant to work in every area. snipers are a specialized type of firearm and they were created for a very specific reason. If you're gonna be up close and personal, snipers are some of the worst guns for it.

1 minute ago, Pyus said:

Many games have it so when you are in zoom you can depress space/crouch to hold your breath to reduce sway. But.. I guess removing it all together works too. 

I would have been happy with them keeping reticle sway, but having it go away when crouched.

Archived