Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

UI Redesign: Information & Timeline!

[DE]Rebecca

Just now, --Q--Voltage said:

Speaking of free UI skins and UI skins in general, from 1 to 10, how viable would it be to cannibalize the old UI's visual style and try to make it work with UI 3.0 as a 'Classic 2.0' skin?
Also, remember UI 1.0? I wasn't there, but I saw it. Maybe that could be the 'Classic 1.0' skin; Classic 1.0 and 2.0 UI converted into themes and given as the 'starter themes' for everyone?

Also, the UI skin concept means DE can add that to the Twitch drops so there'll be more than one-too-many-displays in the 'watch and get thing' loot table, only problem will be finding a way to compensate for duplicates (like me having 2 Dex Syandanas when I only need 1, or 2 Wukong default helmets, etc...).

54 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

If you've been following our Devstreams - or Steve's twitter - our plans to release a visual update to our UI shouldn't be new. But if you haven't followed - the short explanation is that we're redoing our UI art style!

Spoiler

DdgRXreUwAEy8BH.jpg:large

Different themes (see some examples above), a more evocative and artistic UI, it's all coming - but not all at once! 

Right now we have exactly 131 screens in the game that need an artistic pass to the new style. 8 we have done and ready to go - they'll be launching soon. Themes similar to above are coming for the the screens we have completed, and all subsequent screens will inherit whatever UI theme you've chosen (default or other purchased themes). 

So, 'all subsequent screens'. This will be rolled out over the rest of the year - we are not launching all 131 screens with new art at once.Things like horizontal scrolling are being removed based on player feedback, and we're going to be addressing other common requests as we make our way through the redesign. The busiest screens are particularly hard to change, but we will slowly but surely make our way through. 

Thanks, Tenno! We'll open threads once this is released for practical feedback, for now, this is just some insight into the coming change! 

Dat Lotus one. ❤️

Cant wait to see the new UI in-game!

33 minutes ago, --Q--Voltage said:

Cosmetic items is Warframe's bread and butter. If you like how something looks, you buy it or skip out. The UI will still function without a skin. I hope you only get a starter one as platinum sinks are healthy for the in-game economy. This UI skin deal seems pretty sweet.

You make it seem like simply giving 2-3 options out of the potentially limitless selection (they can and are likely to make many more themes) is going to destroy Warframe's economy. Imagine if we started with one color (not 1 column of 1 color palette, just 1 color) and locked the rest behind plat. DE does a good job giving the players options and I think having 2-3 theme options at the start is a great idea. Even if the one I specifically want isn't apart of the free selection it's always nice to have options. :smile:

3 hours ago, --Q--Voltage said:

Cosmetic items is Warframe's bread and butter. If you like how something looks, you buy it or skip out. The UI will still function without a skin. I hope you only get a starter one as platinum sinks are healthy for the in-game economy. This UI skin deal seems pretty sweet.

MRW I just need something to spend platinum on 😮

4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

If you've been following our Devstreams - or Steve's twitter - our plans to release a visual update to our UI shouldn't be new. But if you haven't followed - the short explanation is that we're redoing our UI art style!

Different themes (see some examples above), a more evocative and artistic UI, it's all coming - but not all at once! 

Right now we have exactly 131 screens in the game that need an artistic pass to the new style. 8 we have done and ready to go - they'll be launching soon. Themes similar to above are coming for the the screens we have completed, and all subsequent screens will inherit whatever UI theme you've chosen (default or other purchased themes). 

So, 'all subsequent screens'. This will be rolled out over the rest of the year - we are not launching all 131 screens with new art at once.Things like horizontal scrolling are being removed based on player feedback, and we're going to be addressing other common requests as we make our way through the redesign. The busiest screens are particularly hard to change, but we will slowly but surely make our way through. 

Thanks, Tenno! We'll open threads once this is released for practical feedback, for now, this is just some insight into the coming change! 

Curious if this uses the lighting mechanics that we recieved in our dojo or like whats in captura

3 hours ago, --Q--Voltage said:

Plat sinks are only so healthy. Riven mod costs are unhealthy. 

4 hours ago, Ldezzer said:

Will these new themes have customisable colours? i might need to change some of them :blob:

Steve said there probably won't be customisable themes because they need to be sure you don't choose gray text on white background (ie, UI elements must be easy to read). So they're doing lots of themes to satisfy the players' need for customisation.

4 hours ago, --Q--Voltage said:

If they only cost ~20 platinum, sure, one starter isn't bad. It's like buying a Reactor or a new warframe slot on top of what you get at start, and a player could buy a new one with starting plat if they feel too strongly about the default, like I would if the default winds up being one of the green/yellow tinted ones (I'm slightly colorblind).

But if they cost more, like 50+, then only having one option to start is a bum rap. Even the forums offer us more than that for free.

Spoiler
5 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Can we please get a Dark + Silver/Grey/Blue or some other more neutral scheme that isn't very bright? The dark+red looks to illegible for my eyes, the light colored ones look too bright, and the green just looks ugly.

I hate to sound whiny or needy but my eyes are sensitive to this sort of thing.

1 hour ago, PookieNumnums said:

Plat sinks are only so healthy. Riven mod costs are unhealthy. 

Trading is not a platinum sink. A sink must remove it from the game entirely. Sinks are 100% healthy. This is how DE battles inflation of their paid currency. 

If you are referring to Riven Mod slots, I find those quite healthy and the cost is a nice medium. You don't have to obtain all current Warframe and weapon slots when you start the game, so why should you try to reach 90 Riven Slots as soon as possible? Buying slots in 3 packs as you obtain mods will be easy to manage as long as you pay DE or trade once a week.

43 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

If they only cost ~20 platinum, sure, one starter isn't bad. It's like buying a Reactor or a new warframe slot on top of what you get at start, and a player could buy a new one with starting plat if they feel too strongly about the default, like I would if the default winds up being one of the green/yellow tinted ones (I'm slightly colorblind).

But if they cost more, like 50+, then only having one option to start is a bum rap. Even the forums offer us more than that for free.

Oh. For an entire UI skin I was thinking 75-125 platinum each. I don't think it is unreasonable at all, but to each their own. Having a singular free alternative isn't a bad thing, but DE doesn't need to hand out a bunch of free ones when a perfect business model is already in place to help both the in-game economy and the fancy of many players: cosmetics. If "FashionFrame is endgame" as many players claim, than DE should pursue that route to sustain a healthy economy by introducing proper platinum sinks that cater to this crowd.

2 hours ago, Feltal said:

MRW I just need something to spend platinum on 😮

Exactly. This would be similar to the holster animations being released, extra load-out slots, etc. Players need more things to sink platinum into.

1 minute ago, --Q--Voltage said:

Oh. For an entire UI skin I was thinking 100-150 platinum each. I don't think it is unreasonable at all, but to each their own. Having a singular free alternative isn't a bad thing, but DE doesn't need to hand out a bunch of free ones when a perfect business model is already in place to help both the in-game economy and the fancy of many players: cosmetics. If "FashionFrame is endgame" as many players claim, than DE should pursue that route to sustain a healthy economy by introducing proper platinum sinks that cater to this crowd.

Let me put it this way: I don't like any of the ones shown here due to personal taste, but the 3 along the bottom are the ones that I will have to use due to my eyes' sensitivity to light (which is the same reason I use the Dark theme on the forums).

If I have to pay 100-150 platinum just to play the game due to a medical condition, then it's a bum rap for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this.

The existing game causes issues for me at times, but it typically isn't too bad since most of the UI currently doesn't affect much of the screen at any one time, so the overall brightness isn't too bad. My only issue is places like the Plains, as well as Corpus Outpost whenever DE messes with the bloom again (despite my having disabled it in the settings).

But being forced to pay 100+ platinum just so that my eyes don't hurt while playing would likely be enough to make me leave, if only until I have enough money to buy the required platinum (I'm low on both Platinum and RL money right now), since even trading for platinum would be hurting my eyes the whole time.

Archived