Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anthem and what Warframe can learn from it

_Urakaze_

1 hour ago, (PS4)primethief147 said:

You know what I saw while playing Anthem the last 2 days? Not a warframe rip off at all... it was a Destiny rippoff. It's not even hard to see that someone over at EA was like "make me destiny!" And Bethesda just did that with a ironman twist. The missions (and for that matter the base gameplay itself) are exactly the same! Far as im concerned the only thing warframe needs to learn from anthem is OP's number 2, those customization options are actually pretty good.

And Bethesda just did that with a ironman twist.

Bethesda

I think you meant BioWare.

3 hours ago, BloodKitten said:

20$ skins vs 5-6$ community skins (plat on consoles) that if given more freedom can be a great source for delux skins.

Actually in Anthem you will be able to earn in game coin to purchase cosmetics from the Vanity store in game. 

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

Actually in Anthem you will be able to earn in game coin to purchase cosmetics from the Vanity store in game. 

Whether or not earning that stuff by playing is actually a viable option remains to be seen. I wouldn't hold my breath, given EA's recent track record.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, rune_me said:

I think you missed my point. You can combo on your own. If you are a lone wolf or you leroy jenkins it, you can still do the combos. There's no need for teamwork and uncooperative players will not get in the way of you using a combo on an enemy. You could coordinate it with your team, but you don't need to. Just attack an enemy with one of your equipped attacks to prepare it for a combo, then attack it with another equipped attack to trigger the combo. That's all it takes. It's not a deep and complicated system, it's just a way to increase your damage quickly and efficiently.

I know, it just that players don't really seem to care to combo the things, grenade launcher just 1 shot no combo. rocket launcher to the floor for no combo, Shotgun shoot in the face and no combo.  the system of combo is simple has no taste in the game.  At the time being everything is put into improvised.

Edited by ChaoticEdge

On 2019-02-02 at 2:05 PM, HugintheCrow said:

Played some anthem. It's ABYSMAL.

Trash controls. Apparently Bioware forgot PC players exist.

Generic visuals. It looks like Destiny but more boring. "Scars" are literally Fallen.

The worst UI and HUD I've ever seen in video games. How do you mess it up THIS BADLY?! It's like they are trying to hide stuff from you instead of showing it.

I say the same thing about DE and console players don’t feel right huh?

1 hour ago, Pr1A said:

Whether or not earning that stuff by playing is actually a viable option remains to be seen

I'm speaking based on what I know from the demo and open demo. You are able to earn coins to spend on cosmetics in game. I started with 100. Each cosmetic was 25 coin. Bought 4 cosmetics. After reaching level 15 I had 65 more, purchased a vinyl. I think that is really neat. Gives me a sense of accomplishment. 

Now of coarse I'm sure there will be cosmetics only available for cash. But I welcome that. And I hope there is a large selection. 

1 hour ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

I'm speaking based on what I know from the demo and open demo. You are able to earn coins to spend on cosmetics in game. I started with 100. Each cosmetic was 25 coin. Bought 4 cosmetics. After reaching level 15 I had 65 more, purchased a vinyl. I think that is really neat. Gives me a sense of accomplishment. 

Now of coarse I'm sure there will be cosmetics only available for cash. But I welcome that. And I hope there is a large selection. 

The part that concerned me was they said something like "All cosmetics cost 25 gold in the demo" and I'm wondering why they specified the last part there. It makes me think it was this price for the demo specifically, and prices will change on launch.

Does anthem have scaling reward and level?

Guild wars 2 even on low level, your stat is being modified to par with the low level. Preventing endgame gear for stomping the lowlvl enemies. 

Bosses drop also reward based on your character's level.

I think Warframe need level system on account based similar to the Mastery Rank.

Warframe have to go for the traditional level if want Scaling reward and not ovepowering low level enemies, which the game will lose its uniqueness.

1 hour ago, XenMaster said:

Does anthem have scaling reward and level?

(Based on the demo and open demo) Rewards are based on difficulty level. The harder the level the better rewards and drop chances of those rewards. Difficulty level is decided pre launch before the expedition. And does require the use of team work and use of combos the harder it gets. So to answer your question, in a way yes there are scaling rewards. Anthem also has crafting from armor, to weapons, even gear. 

1 hour ago, XenMaster said:

think Warframe need level system on account based similar to the Mastery Rank.

Warframe have to go for the traditional level if want Scaling reward and not ovepowering low level enemies, which the game will lose its uniqueness.

Scaling rewards would be vary difficult for DE to balance given how long the game has been around, and the time gating they use to gate content. In other words scaling rewards in Warframe would make the game even more casual than it already is. 

1 hour ago, IntheCoconut said:

makes me think it was this price for the demo specifically, and prices will change on launch.

Probably accurate. However I can only speak for myself when I say it won't make a difference to me considering the quality of cosmetic content Anthem is bring to the table. 

3 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Y...yes?

Was this fact ever in question?

It seemed like it was in the post I was responding to. The person I responded to said they easily earned gold and that cosmetics were only 25 gold. So....was this fact ever in question? Yes, it seems likely from the wording of their post, and it may have been misleading to others who haven't played the demo.

8 minutes ago, IntheCoconut said:

easily

Never said it was easy. Because in fact it wasn't and required teamwork, synergies and the use of combos to play in the hard difficulty. Because coins are earned based on feats or accomplishments. Which then can be used to purchase vanity cosmetics. 

9 minutes ago, IntheCoconut said:

It seemed like it was in the post I was responding to. The person I responded to said they easily earned gold and that cosmetics were only 25 gold. So....was this fact ever in question? Yes, it seems likely from the wording of their post, and it may have been misleading to others who haven't played the demo.

Riiiight.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but sure.

18 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Y...yes?

Was this fact ever in question?

Not by anyone paying attention to EA, I think.  Personally I'm curious how *much* they'll raise the prices.  I'd assume that "earning 15 coins for five levels" is probably about right for the live game.  Which makes me wonder how many thousands of "earnable" coins each cosmetic option will cost.

21 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

Not by anyone paying attention to EA, I think.  Personally I'm curious how *much* they'll raise the prices.  I'd assume that "earning 15 coins for five levels" is probably about right for the live game.  Which makes me wonder how many thousands of "earnable" coins each cosmetic option will cost.

There was a leak that showed cosmetics going for 20k in earnable credits and something like 2000 of the premium.  Which equated to about $20.  

• Like 1

Just reading through everything here. Again. I notice right now everyone is seemingly worried? That these cosmetics will cost an arm and leg, just because the Demo vanity items were 25 coin each. They were of course set at 25 so that you would be able to try out their vanity system, hence why you were given 100. You all know that by now surely, so I'm just stating the obvious here.

Vanity items in Anthem are suppose to be optional items, paid for with their premium currency. I am guessing those "shards" that was listed on the screen that we had 0 of, is the actual premium currency(real money) that they cost, and they were just put on coin, so that you could try them out. Now you're clearly going to see price differences between the full version, and the demo. Makes sense only to change the prices so people could try them out, but not go completely wild with everything in the demo.

Also makes sense that these Vanity items would be set on a premium currency such as these shards we saw, and have a much larger coin amount needed, to get the vanity piece without paying real money for them. To encourage people who want these optional items, sooner, rather than later. But, they add nothing more to the game than customization. Great, just the same as Warframe's Tennogen.

Tennogen is something people willingly shell out for, which changes nothing to the actual game play, just your visual satisfaction. Same thing with these Vanity items but, you can earn free currency to purchase. Which will take effort, and time right?

So... that's a lot of obviousness, great. What's everyone's worry?

These items, that change nothing in the actual game, game play, or anything to do with the game, except your personal visual tastes, and your Javelin Fashion, that aren't going to jump out and grab your wallets, and steal your hard earned cash, without your choosing. What have these items got different than buying Tennogen?

Settle down, play Anthem if you own it, get a grip on yourselves and just, enjoy Anthem. You don't have to buy anything, so who cares what the price of these cosmetics come up to? Manage your money, and you'll never have to feel that things are micro-transaction'ing your bank account to death.

I'm not here to argue with anyone. I just wanted to state me piece, and move on. Though I will continue to read, maybe comment if I am interested enough. Though, you guys have been rather interesting to read comments from.

Edited by Alcatraz
Added under line.

19 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

There was a leak that showed cosmetics going for 20k in earnable credits and something like 2000 of the premium.  Which equated to about $20.  

Sounds about right.  Based on the limited sample of the demo, that means that buying one premium skin would take a couple solid months of grinding.  "But we believe in player choice.  If they choose not to give us money, that's their choice.  You can earn currency in game.  We just balanced it to take several thousand years to be able to actually buy anything, obviously."

15 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

So... that's a lot of obviousness, great. What's everyone's worry?

I can't speak for anyone else.  But for me?  Tennogen has a set price.  On PC, it's a set price listed in real money, that I have a fairly solid grasp of the value for.  Tennogen also has the added wrinkle that I know part of that price is being paid to the creators, and a couple are doing well enough to be using Tennogen to help pay their actual real world bills.  Stuff that's priced in Platinum is a little harder because I don't have an innate sense of how much it's worth.  (A trick used by many premium currency systems.)  But even full Warframe bundles only cost several hundred platinum.  And I know that I've got Prime components I could trade to cover that without too much difficulty.  The game isn't balanced around letting me earn a currency that's "almost" like platinum, but the prices for everything are ten times higher.  And it takes weeks to earn more than a couple hundred.

The worry for Anthem is that the prices in Credits (or whatever) in the leaked screenshot were very, very high.  And at least based on the demo, normal missions and Freeplay maps don't really pay a ton of Credits.  Or any at all, directly.  You earn a couple of coins for completing daily/weekly/monthly challenges.  And you get a weekly dump of Credits and XP from something called the "Alliance" system.  We have no idea how much that pays out, but I'm guessing "not a lot."  I saw a post elsewhere by someone who actually kept track of how much they earned over the three day weekend.  If that rate holds steady (about a Credit per hour) then it would take *vast* investments of time.  And you don't seem to earn coins at a set rate.  They're paid out as you complete various challenges, and higher tiers are much, much harder to earn.  We don't know how often (or even if) challenges for "do X combo explosions" or "make Y melee attacks" reset. 

Fallout 76 might be a possible comparison, and your ability to earn Atoms there drops off *sharply* once you pass a certain level.  And we also have the example of Star Wars Battlefront 2, where someone did the math and figured it would take a minimum of something like forty *hours* to earn enough credits to unlock just one hero.  And that's if you were completely fixated on getting that hero, and not spending coins on any other form of progression.  The prices for Fallout 76 cosmetics are also very, very high.  (Remember when everyone freaked out at less than $3 for Horse Armor in Oblivion?  Yeah, I not sure you can even *buy* something from Fallout 76 for only $3 now.)

The worry is that the game will be intentionally balanced to be incredibly grindy, in the way that many mobile games are.  Sure, you *can* earn the cosmetic without paying money.  If you want to play the game like an unpaid fulltime job, for weeks on end.  To earn *one* cosmetic.  And that's assuming they don't do something like using the Credits in crafting.  Just because they're "only cosmetic" isn't a good excuse for price gouging.

1 hour ago, DatDarkOne said:

except that theres no equation anywhere, that 20 usd is a number that some youtubers pulled out of where sun doesnt shine.

1 hour ago, EmberStar said:

you dont need to pay attention to ea, considering that devs DID state that demos economics wont reflect the full launch. if you want any pricing only thing we maybe can talk about is legion of dawn edition(some fancy collectors edition stuff) is 20 bucks costlier and have about 5 skins in it(one for each javelin and one weapon skin) and even that is not something i'd consider accurate.

17 minutes ago, Zeclem said:

except that theres no equation anywhere, that 20 usd is a number that some youtubers pulled out of where sun doesnt shine.

Actually that rate equation was/is based on the general conversion rates of premium currency of some other games like Overwatch for example.  It's based on the conversion rate of 1 shard(premium) = $.01.  So, it wasn't something pulled out of their arse, but based on usual conversion rates from some other games.  

Edit:  The real thing is whether EA keeps either the same rate and/or the same purchase cost for cosmetics.  This is the thing we don't know for sure.  BUT going by EA's previous track record, it doesn't look good.  

Edited by DatDarkOne