Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has DE discussed possibility of skins like female frost or male valkyr?

ssh83

Many skins, especially Deluxe and TennoGen, are already lore breaking.  So what about next-level skins that change the body type and animation (costing more plat?).   Not every frame would benefit from this concept of course.  But the ones that do can explore very different theme/style.  For example:

Male Valkyr.  Bulky berserker with masculine hysteria sound effect.  Claw is changed to spiked punching gauntlet or actual beast paw.

Female Frost for an elegant snow-queen to contrast the the viking/bulky iceman.  The beauty of snow/ice is completely missing in existing frost skins.  

Male Khora with a kubrow companion and chain instead of thorny vine.  (maybe this concept can be his own frame)

Female chroma.  Draconic scale plate without the bulky figure.  

Male Octavia.  the male version can have chains instead of feather.  the modern music world is also about visual style, and a male version can explore different themes.

Female Hydroid.  Siren, female pirate, and/or  water-elemental tranquility.  a lot of visual themes for water isn't being used for existing hydroid skins.

Slightly went off tangent thinking about these what-if.  Have you thought of similar ideas?  Has DE ever talked about this?

• Like 3

Yeah, they don't want to make gender bender skins.
This is how Warframe started, Nyx as a female version of Excalibur, and DE turned away from this idea.

And what you are talking about is a huge amount of work. Deluxe skins are just another skin. You want new animations and stuff. If DE did something like that, these new skins would cost a fortune.

• Like 5

Yeah they have, and their answer is a no.  They did toy with the idea back when the game was first being made.  There's concept art of a female ash, and Nyx started out as a female variant of Excalibur (hence why they look so similar).  But yeah, they wont be making alternate gender skins.  The closest we'll get is a new frame with a similar theme, like how Nezha utilizes fire like Ember, but is his own unique frame with unique powers.

• Like 13

Pretty sure this topic has been brought up many times to the devs already. I personally think a better idea would be to make female frames that share some aesthetics from their male counterparts and some of their ability types.

It makes me think of Hildryn being a female counterpart to Rhino (similar body types, and from what it sounds like they may have some shared ability styles).
But just poppin a skin onto an already set in stone frame like Atlas, (hehe, joke) Ash, Rhino or Loki to turn them into females is just a bit odd in my eyes.

Sure, a lot of the Tennogen skins we have are lore breaking, but they're all conforming to the original concept of the frame being shaped around either a male or female form.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy
  • Like 2

I like some of the female frames abilitys but avoid using them cuz they aint a male frame

how abt making a New BP called ability transfer  when built ,it can be equipped one time only to a frame

like a madura lens .

To build this bp you need to make ember prime first and then fuse her with this special BP.

giving you the item ability transfer ability item.

Then you attach this item to your existing frame giving all of embers ability

(Best way to avoid complications of new skins or helmets)

Edited by (PS4)lokaspoka

They have. Each frame was originally planned to have a male and a female skin but they scrapped the idea because of time and resource constraints. Ember was originally male (as seen in a screenshot above), Excalibur's female skin became Nyx which explains why the two look kinda similar.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, (XB1)Mechanized Mind said:

Yeah they have, and their answer is a no.  They did toy with the idea back when the game was first being made.  There's concept art of a female ash, and Nyx started out as a female variant of Excalibur (hence why they look so similar).  But yeah, they wont be making alternate gender skins.  The closest we'll get is a new frame with a similar theme, like how Nezha utilizes fire like Ember, but is his own unique frame with unique powers.

And just for completeness, there's this:

• Like 1

Setting aside the lore I think this is a matter of resource allocation. Say you want to make a male Valkyr, ok you need to do a model, skin, animation set, sound effects, and at that stage you might just as well make a new warframe because giving him his own powers is just a little more work and far more profitable. Personally I'd rather have a new frame instead. Also I don't really see the need for having gendered variants, I like that each is it's own person so to speak. 

• Like 4

Over the years I've played, I've seen a solid dozen of these threads. It goes the same every time. OP suggests genderbent frames, people respond "DE said no", OP says "but they should say yes tho", people explain why it would be impossible, OP is too dense to understand, and everything devolves from there. I swear, the mods should lock these threads as they contribute literally nothing every time.

• Like 5

They tried to make a gender option in the early time but they realised their game cannot be kickstarted by publishers and their money and manpower lost in time so they "finished" the game developement at that point and tried to push the game at the really last chance. They were lucky because the public opinion and the founders helped a lot so they essencially kickstarted the game and nowadays this game is flourish. 

They changed their policy and they make new frames and skins instead of making gender options because in that time it was a huge effort and money cost so they instead doing this. As how nowadays seems the thing they could add this feature because they have the manpower and funds for it because they are working on many systems, multiple frames, deluxe skins and primes in the same time so if they really want they could make female-male versions to the frames and that could also add more freedom in customization and also generates them money but in the other hand it cost money and time but if they does have no other option maybe they will consider.

Currently the bandaid created lore and the high work effort the biggest cons why they does not work on it but if they could know how the majority feel about it and how much people support it maybe they could start it. It is depends on how much money they can make on it not because of a likely task to them. If a large margin of majority likes the idea like 60-80% of peoples maybe they could do this favor. 

In customization wise it would be nice and who stick with their genders in real life they could stick with their frame too. Most peoples skip frames because they does not feel comfortable with the opposite gender again others just does not care because they see only abilities and affinity. 

I personally would like to go with my gender and mainly I have female frames but I collect all of them because I wish to try as much as much is possible. If they do a gender option then maybe I would play most of my frames on my gender.

This is why the operators exists because they can fill this gap because your operator can be male or female so not really matter in the end if your frames is male or female. Those whom not like the operators could like the gender swap idea but currently this is not the focus to them so it will be shelved for a long time.

• Like 8

DE has said no every time this is brought up for one big reason:
Too much work, not nearly enough ROI.

In order to make a gender bent skin they would need to:
-Make a completely new model
-Make a completely new skin
-Make a new set of animations
And at that point it would just be better, and more profitable and exciting, for them to just release a completely new frame.

After all, tell me which one would sell more:
-A female skin to Frost that a small amount of players are even interested in
-A female ice frame that has a completely different ability set and playstyle

By asking them to just make genderbent skins you're asking for them to do the majority of the work in creating a new frame, and then just not create a new frame and instead cater to a minority of players with a skin that most people won't buy or want.
its a lot more cost effective for DE to just make an entirely new frame at that point.

• Like 2

I want gender neutral or third gender skins.
I think it is highly discriminatory for DE to only have male and female frames. Especially considering the ongoing and growing discussion going on in canada one could expect more sensibility towards this subject.
I also feel disturbed by obvious innuendos and upfront sexual remarks by officially supported youtubers and DE staff themselves.

In fact I think we should totally switch to replacing warframes with spirit beings that have cloudlike shapes.
WTB more PC please

I like more individualisation options. Like from me.

3 hours ago, torint_man said:

Over the years I've played, I've seen a solid dozen of these threads. It goes the same every time. OP suggests genderbent frames, people respond "DE said no", OP says "but they should say yes tho", people explain why it would be impossible, OP is too dense to understand, and everything devolves from there. I swear, the mods should lock these threads as they contribute literally nothing every time.

Disagree. This is a forum and the place where you can express your wishes. The more people talk to a topic the more information you get about your playerbase.

Also "DE said no" ins´t an opinion. Those replies should be removed instead.

Example for an actual reply: I think this is a good/bad idea because ...

Edited by Arcira
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ssh83 said:

Many skins, especially Deluxe and TennoGen, are already lore breaking.  So what about next-level skins that change the body type and animation (costing more plat?).   Not every frame would benefit from this concept of course.  But the ones that do can explore very different theme/style.  For example:

Male Valkyr.  Bulky berserker with masculine hysteria sound effect.  Claw is changed to spiked punching gauntlet or actual beast paw.

Female Frost for an elegant snow-queen to contrast the the viking/bulky iceman.  The beauty of snow/ice is completely missing in existing frost skins.  

Male Khora with a kubrow companion and chain instead of thorny vine.  (maybe this concept can be his own frame)

Female chroma.  Draconic scale plate without the bulky figure.  

Male Octavia.  the male version can have chains instead of feather.  the modern music world is also about visual style, and a male version can explore different themes.

Female Hydroid.  Siren, female pirate, and/or  water-elemental tranquility.  a lot of visual themes for water isn't being used for existing hydroid skins.

Slightly went off tangent thinking about these what-if.  Have you thought of similar ideas?  Has DE ever talked about this?

They only did it for equinox..😁

As others here have already pointed out it would be far more economical for DE to make new frames with the same general theme of an existing frame.

But I'd like to point out that this would especially be a better idea due to the complaints we've been getting regarding some of the recent frames of them being "the same as X but with Y's 4th" or similar complaints along the same lines. With the number of frames we have it is inevitable for overlapping abilities to occur and since we're already reaching that point DE might as well do it intentionally by doubling up existing themes.

Also I don't know if people are mentioning Equinox to be ironic but to clarify anyways; Equinox is only a female frame, she is not both male and female. This was explicitly clarified by DE shortly after her release.

Edited by trst

8 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

Yeah, they don't want to make gender bender skins.
This is how Warframe started, Nyx as a female version of Excalibur, and DE turned away from this idea.

And what you are talking about is a huge amount of work. Deluxe skins are just another skin. You want new animations and stuff. If DE did something like that, these new skins would cost a fortune.

You don't know what they want. And DE only turned away from gender variants at the start because of the severity of their situation and lack of resources, which makes all the more reason for them to pick it back up now when they are no longer struggling to keep alfoat and can actually afford the resources to do it. It's a part of their vision they weren't able to pursue in the past but now can. 

And it'd be as much work as a deluxe, both are just new modelling. Also no they wouldn't need new animations, all frames share the same rigging and thus don't need personalized animations per. You could slap Excaliburs model on Ember and it'd function perfectly fine with no new animations attached.  

• Like 1