Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Update 24.4.0) General Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

I play mostly melee, and i'm no different from many. Two things are great: quick swap and aimed ground slam (i don't care about visuals or insignificant changes). The first is also the worst feature because it "broke" melee only binds.

The auto-block is useless and not wanted - when you swap your sniper for your melee, glide-block is actually a way to not be forced into a zoom, and blocking is a way to repositioning your character, not actually block damage.

There was no changes to how combos work, so hold/pause/block still are here and for frames modded for speed all the combos are still bad - not to perform, but to keep the same without accidentally switching to the basic EEEEEEEEEE combo (associated with the worst moveset of all stances i use - really, 100% of all stances i use the basic combo is trash, and the others "useful").

The "combo resume" is nice, but if you are using melee, you don't shoot (mostly because you are too close and normally you shoot through the enemy instead of hitting it). So... yeah. CO is pleased, but i'm sticking with 120-180% builds since is already overkill even for sorties and hour long anything (and i don't need to shoot in between my combos). Thing is, people start a combo to kill, not to switch to a pistol and shoot to increase damage than resume the act - that's why so few melee weapons are actually used (stances with one good moveset + range + good stats are actually extremely rare, and knowing this update killed all polearms and staffs, only heavy blades cover this three requisites).

I say keep all the features, but keep also the old, and let players choose what they want in the configs (trough new keybinds). Something in between the old and the new is the best config for most players.

melee 3.0 made some weapons worse honestly specifically polearms because it was honestly better to use the quick attack because it didnt stop you in your tracks every four seconds. I would change all stances so that the E button mash is just quick attacks now. Also just saying instant swapping means nothing to me I mean you guys could have just increased the swap speed and the effect would have been the same in my mind, I feel like the only part of melee 3.0 that will matter is when you change the way melee combos work.

• Like 3

I don't know if this has been reported yet, but every time I've run an Orb Vallis bounty, I have to hope we don't get the credit collection mission in a bounty.

Why?  Because once you collect the credits and the target comes out, they're completely invulnerable and can only be killed by somehow moving them into water.

Also, if you use the Solar Rail terminal in a Dojo's Orokin Lab, a blank GUI comes up with just an Exit button.  Clicking the Exit button doesn't close this UI (possibly a scripting error?).

I think I've toyed with this specific maneuver enough to give feedback on it. Not melee 2.99 in full. Just the Direction Slam Attack.

• It Ragdolls when a simple Knockdown is plenty.
  • It's tactical use as a gap closer to hindered by the Slam knocking enemies away from your landing position. 10m Gained, 5m lost.
  • Consistent result are that unless you're using a Long Reach weapon the enemy in question will always be outside your melee range when you land.
  • The difference in weapon reach and Slam radius further intensifies this condition making it more problematic for shorter weapons.
  • Ragdoll radius is based on the Slam location and does not consider the angle of the impact. This means that you can slam slightly behind an enemy with a forward slam and launch them up a staircase behind you. Enemies will be displaced in equal intensity regardless of the angle on approach.
  • Ragdoll intensity increases closer to the slam attack origin of impact which makes sense in a real comparison but serves little to no game value. Anything short of dead-on attacks are less productive by launching enemies further away. It would be similarly productive to hit an enemy at the edge of the Slam Radius instead.
  • Enemy AI gets really stupid when you Ragdoll it. They get stuck and die without drops, stand around, fall off the map. It's just messy.

Video showing non-angle based collisions. ie simple Impact radius from point of origin.

I would suggest either heavily reducing the Ragdoll horizontal distance and consider angle of approach or simply replace it with knockdown. Knockdown would be especially helpful to some of the shorter reach weapons which have very mean ground finisher modifiers like the Nami Sky Prime being used in this video.

Edited by Xzorn

The coolant cells for sealing the thermal fractures in the event are outrageously glitchy. Sometimes my Warframe drops them for literally no reason. Sometimes the cannister empties itself for no reason, resetting progress on sealing four fractures. Sometimes the interior of the cannister vanishes altogether. A majority of the time when it bugs out like this, Vazarin void dashing is incapable of healing it to prevent its destruction.

I've also noticed that attempting to do more than one back to back in a single outing into the Orb Vallis seems to guarantee it will glitch out.

I've no problem with the event itself, but the fact that it's this buggy is making it incredibly frustrating to complete.

Edited by Camelslayer

Hildryn needs her sprint tap dashing while using her 4. Current mobility is very low and promotes a more passive playstyle akin to old Ember WoF. A small cooldown on it is fine, but some kind of ability to reposition her in short bursts would help give her a more active playstyle.

E-e-e button mashing combos on many melee stances could use a rework now that we no longer have quick attacks. Polearms have lost a large amount of mobility with the removal of quick attacks and no stances have the regular intervals and smooth movement of the old quick attacks, making them feel worse to use. They also appear to have lost of a large amount of effective dps as a result, especially for condition overload setups that required many individual hits to land as opposed to using the multipliers on combo attacks. Scythes are also a particular case of weapons that are not in a good place right now with the jerky movements of their combos that in many cases halt all forward movement during their combos. The end result is slower and less fluid combat, a loss of damage, loss of ability to effectively engage multiple enemies and, as my personal opinion, much less fun.

Edited by Schnoofles
rephrasing

I first started playing Warframe years ago. I was absent for many years because, frankly, I thought the game was crap, in large part because of what I saw as developer choices that made no sense. Not too long ago, a friend convinced me to reinstall it, and I was amazingly pleasantly surprised by what I found. I actually changed my Steam review of the game from negative to positive, and actually recommended the game to people for the first time in literal years. Ignoring Archwing, I felt that everything in the game was better- I literally could not find anything to complain about. It was so much better, in fact, that I dropped (for me) a not insignificant amount of money on the game in the last several weeks.

That has changed.

Before I went to bed, I had started Gram Prime cooking. I was extremely excited about this sword, as I had liked Gram, and now I had the Primed version. I went into a survival solo to level it, and then my opinion changed once again. The change to melee, in getting rid of Quick Melee attacks, and a 'true' Melee Mode, has tanked my enthusiasm for the game. It feels, to me, that it broke something that didn't need to be fixed. I can also apparently not bind Mouse 2 to channel anymore, as, even with the 'keep melee weapon out' enabled, Mouse 2 still pulls my weapon out.

To be quite frank, I never had any problem with having to switch weapons from melee to ranged. This update to melee feels, to me, like it was completely unnecessary, and, despite now having my "Mouse 1 to melee" back, the lack of ability to channel on Mouse 2- again, unless I'm missing something- is not an improvement, it's worse. I logged in to Warframe earlier eager to go play with Gram Prime, and now I'm sitting here, on the forums, typing this post up while I think of what I'm going to do since my planned activity- Warframe- is not something I currently have any enthusiasm for. While I cannot say I regret having once again spent money on this game, I have no interest in spending any more money on it.

When I talk with friends about games, one of the subjects we judge a game on is what the developers do, and what choices they make. For years, whenever someone would ask me about Warframe, or I would discuss it with others who played it- played it, mind you, no one I knew, out of dozens of people, still played it- we again and again came down to DE's decisions in how to implement things, and what they chose to implement, as a major reason we quit the game. Not because it was grindy. I have played Final Fantasy XI on and off since NA release (which was over 15 years ago), I have made multiple 'Ultimate Weapons' for myself and helped others in making theirs, when I made my first Ultimate Weapon it took over a year to complete the process because of the grind involved and the time gating involved; grind is not something that bothers me.

Now, as I understand it, this is just the first part of a larger melee update. It should not have been that. It should have been part of a melee update, not merely the first part. If the entire system were rolled out at once, that would make it feel like it was a coherent whole. As it is, this doesn't feel like an update. It doesn't feel like an improvement. It negatively impacts the play style of many people, from the feedback, and does what? "Slow" weapon swapping was not a problem for me, nor anyone I spoke to.

While I will not be actively not recommending this game again, I will not be recommending it. I will probably continue to play occasionally, as I have that friend who got me to play it again in the first place, but I will be paying very keen attention to updates to come, in a level of scrutiny I would not have before this change to melee, and will probably be quitting the game once more, perhaps for several years, perhaps forever, depending on what I see in them. Changes which I might not have even noticed, or, noticing, have thought negatively of, will now be receiving scrutiny.

I'm a customer who you lost for years, who you 'won back' after 'showing me' how much things have changed for the better, and now I feel like things have gone right back to where they were.

Edit: I want to add furthermore that I have a friend who likes MHW and combo-based melee combat, who I had been attempt to get to try Warframe. I will no longer be trying after this update.

Edited by machinipuella
addendum, emphasis, correction, clauses sometimes have correct orders

Problems with the Opticor Vandal, and suggestion:

The Opticor was the BFG, just raw damage. At some point it got a shadow buff and up its crit chance and crit dmg, therefore becomeing a crit weapon if you had a good riven for it. Vandal weapons are suppose to be an upgrade not a nerf or a side-grade. I understand why DE took this direction (fast pace run and gun) but that is not why people run the opticor. You run the opticor because its is the BFG and whatever you come across the scary thing in the room and you need it gone it can make it go away. 

Suggestion:

As to not introduce more power creep but allow those who want their huge overkill kill shot, their BFG, and their "I'M FIRING MY LASER!!" here is what the Opticor Vandal needs. An alternate fire mode that allows you to keep charging up multiple shots past the initial (consuming ammo as it charges as a normal single shot would) and release when ready.

This allow those who want to run and gun with it and those who loved it for being the BFG.

I noticed something with the new particle system. Sometimes the particle explosions particles make a perfect pattern. They don't scatter randomly but instead they seem to form lines or rows. The shape of the explosions are still random and natural looking but it's just the particles themselves that get lined up in these weird patterns almost like they are following a horizontal or vertical axis. 

So I really like that weapon switching and doors have been moved to be client side, and in doing so they're not affected by lag anymore. But I'd really Really REALLY love if switching to and from operator got the same treatment. It's something that's always felt amazing when I'm hosting, but horrible when I'm client to a high ping host. 

This new update gives me less options for melee and, for my playstyle, is gamebreaking.

I used to be able to switch to melee by holding Q and then use M1 for melee strikes, E for channeling. When wielding my primary or secondary E was bound to quick melee. Now I am forced to use E for melee 24/7. This is awful. I love melee in Warframe, but using E for melee when drawn is super clunky. It's fine for air strikes and slide attacks (executable in "quick melee" mode), but for anything more complex I want full range of motion; the ability to use my mouse fluidly with WASD, without taking my hand off the movement keys, is paramount.

There's an option to fix this at the very bottom of the menu. A clanmate pointed it out.

Edited by Zozihn
Problem solved.

Overview

This update has been well received by many, however, there have also been a few who've presented different views (myself being one of them). The below points are designed to demonstrated the opinions of me and my friend, who stand at each end of the spectrum on this. Whilst we see the pluses to the new system, we also see each other's perspectives. This is to say, we can see that yes, in some ways, a few things stand to be either changed or catered for. This is intended to highlight these things, and will be finished with a recommendation. Feel free to ignore the recommendation, it's to make me feel better that I put my point forward.

If it's in italics, assume I'm presenting my own personal gripes.

"Fast Switch" Pros - "New system allows me to have my cake and eat it too"

• Feels more Fluid compared to switching in the old system.
  • Don't lose combos when switching, as opposed to the old system.
  • Shows combos more often, as compared to not knowing combos without melee out in old system.

"Fast Switch" Cons - "Oi, that was my cake."

• Missing a definite and hard to mistake way of pulling out melee, which was done better in the old system by holding "F".
  • "But I had the power cell a second ago" as I switch accidentally (Attributed to the first point).
  • Pressing mouse 2 in a fall, but switching to your ranged weapons instead of staying melee, unlike the old system. (This is not fun when you transition directly into a rubico prime scope.)
  • Just a personal gripe which might just be me, so feel free to ignore this, but what happened to channeling for life strike???

"Auto-Block" Pros - "I'm a Jedi."

• Streamlines melee without dumbing down IE. i can do all of the combos i could before and block with fewer key-presses.
  • integrates the full suite of melee into the rest of game-play IE. no more having to pick either gun and really awful quick melee and full melee combos and blocking and channeling and building combo over guns.
  • feels more fluid IE. going from one method of combat to another doesn't require a long switching time which usually results in losing combo unless I used 2 combo duration mods and I can go from one to the other instantaneously.

"Auto-Block" Cons - "But I wanted to be a lancer."

• I have been stun-locked by this animation, leading to me going down. As Inaros, no less. This is not right. Now, not gonna lie, the same thing happened to me in the old system, but at least it was my own fault then.
  • As stated in the quote reflecting my stance, sometimes it feels good to block everything, not because the game forces you to, but because you decided to. It felt really good to perform blocking combos (Even with a full berseker build + fury (I hated that timing)) and shred most everything. This might just be my opinion but yeah. Now you can't really block of your own accord, and when you do, it seems to toggle, not the best thing in the world, in my eyes.
  • Again, linking back into the "Fast switch", I don't want to transition straight into a sniper while gliding. In the old system, it was helpful to be able to control your flight with your melee out, but now it seems to force you to use guns mainly, which I disagree with. Obviously. In my eyes, Warframe should give you the option to run melee or ranged, or both if you're so inclined. I can see how the switching might be helpful, but yeah... Come on, guys, give me my m2. 

"Directional Slam" Pros - "Yeah, I can't really fault that"

• This is just fun, objectively. I don't care what anyone says.

"Directional Slam" Cons - "Worry not, someone else managed to though"

• Used to the old system. Legitimately the only reason.

Recommendation

As someone who develops software (and this was parroted by my friend), you don't just update a system without building in some acceptance for legacy formats, styles, files, the list goes on and can go on until we're long in the tooth. From this viewpoint, we have come up with this proposal; give us a choice. It's as simple as that (Yes, I know easier said than done), give us an option about whether or not we want fast switch. Whether or not we want auto-block. And yes, for that picky individual, even the option to do the old slam. Heaven only knows why you'd want to, but someone does. This recommendation doesn't have to be taken on board, but we would appreciate you at least take it into consideration. Understanding the constraints around implementing this, we understand if it simply can't be done, but from our perspective, it would improve the experience of the player considerably. But seriously, guys, life strike? Why would you do this to us? 😭

Note - This was originally put in general feedback but someone suggested I put it here. So I just copy-pasted. Sorry.

While I'm glad to be able to switch as fast between guns and melee, I won't lie, I Miss the old system way too much. I used to always use melee as my primary offense gameplay, while not using channeling that much, I actively blocked efficiently , now it's impossible, it's not only a matter of "auto block" but the whole feeling is too different from what I was used to and liked in the gameplay.  I don't feel like melee is "its own weapon class", but merely an "add on" now. It doesn't feel the same, doesn't feel as important in a certain way.  

With my friends , we all had our specialization,  I was more melee, some others were more primary auto,  others bows,  now, everything vanished, everyone use everything on the same level, I don't feel like melee is special as I used to feel it was.

If there's one wish I have with the new melee, is being able to re-setup my keys and gameplay to make it feel more like it was,  Being able to actively block, and not let the game do it for me, and not being forced to have to unequip my others weapons to feel like I'm actually impacting my survivabily.

This update has dropped combat effectiveness to 40% what it used to be.  I am now FORCED to use my primary weapon on enemies I used to take on with melee only.  And it's not just because I'm now doing less damage due to the slower attack interval, I'm also taking MUCH more damage from the drop in maneuverability from the stance combos.

I'm going to leave my first impressions on melee 2.9. 

Targeted ground slams are great, tons of fun, wish enemies weren't thrown so far away from the slam though.

The removal of quick melee into fast switching is...umm, I'm going to be honest, it feels like we've gone back to melee 1.0 here. The whole point of melee 2.0 and now 2.9 is to make melee combat both more engaging and more accessible/viable. Thing is, 2.9 has removed a lot of the features that made 2.0 great and left the ones that were not so great. With the removal of quick melee not only are we basically back to 1.0 where your melee weapon never feels like your "main" weapon but on top of that we're now stuck with only the stance combos which are scattershot in quality. Some stances feel great, others don't and this update has really highlighted the trouble point that stances are for the melee system.

Then there's the control mapping, as someone who has used an xbox controller on pc for most of my warframe career I'm used to weird things involving mapping and having to figure out what works for me. This update however has really thrown a wrench into things. Previously I had quick melee on RB and when in melee mode attacks switched to RT and channeling became RB (while blocking was LT, replacing Aim). As it stands now, I can't remap the channeling button and thus, I cannot use channeling at all without abandoning 5 years of muscle memory by resetting my button map. And from the comments I've seen, the fact that my old button layout works as well as it does with the new update is something to be treasured.

To summarize, this update has a few nice features but it really feels like we're throwing out the baby with the bathwater here. Clearly stances are the big sticking point and need to be ironed out, and to a lesser extent making channeling a worthwhile system (outside of life strike).

Some gripes I have with this new melee system:

• Removal of quick melee makes some weapon stances unusable as they stop you in place.
  • Removal of mouse2 block. Makes doing any combos involving mouse2 pretty much impossible if you use mouse1 melee as you change to primary because it's same button as aim. 
  • Cannot "block-glide" anymore. Not fun with sniper rifle equipped (or with anything). 
  • Auto-block makes you feel like you are not in control but rather being hand held by your mother.

These points could mostly be remedied by bringing back dedicated "switch to melee" keybind as something like "switch to melee only mode".

I Am not a forum posting person usually but I just had to comment on my frustration. Been playing for close to 5 years now. Don't make me comment this often.

Edited by ryki
typo

A feedback bout the Thermia Fracture mission.

Me and my friends stop the Thermia fractures together today. but I lost all progress of it just because I lost connection.

It started to change host but the game start freeze and not response. I had to use Task Manager to close the game.

Once I restart the game, all progress disappear. Even the mission progress of Nightwave.

After Update there's some problem that i found. Here list the i found so far:

1. Takedown moa/corpus drones mission on Orb Vallis bounty unable to complete (result mission failed or unable to complete 2nd objective within time limit). Is good now that player have to go to specific place that mark on the map but the problems occurs after arrive on the place. I have both case happening today, first takedown moa mission, enemy's moa is so few and so many corpus crew arrive when drop via dropship. Second takedown corpus drones and this one is the worst not only corpus crew always arrive via dropship with one or two moa but the drones is very rare or in some case never spawn.
  2. High level bounty mission (bounty 5 enemy lv 40-60). I have assassination target on last mission today but enemy target level's exceed bounty level boundary, i meet my assassination target on lv 68 is hard to kill and it's life and armor is very thick also it's damage scale is very high.
  3. K- Drive jets color doesn't apply when player summon K- Drive, is on default color.
  4. Liberate camp on Cetus bounty. This mission have high chance to failed because everytime Grineer dropship arrive & entering mission area boundary, is decreasing gauge meter faster because system detect dropship as enemy that player must takedown and it's really annoying on high level bounty.
Edited by Vizer_Xeno

i find the changes to weapon switching to be a nuisance, at least with mouse/keyboard and the "melee with fire weapon input" enabled

i find it more comfortable to melee with left click, and i often accidentally press down on right click and aiming, switching to my gun when i don't want to and then having to press my quick-melee on keyboard to use my melee weapon again, which is frustrating because it happens a lot and i don't use the quick-melee button otherwise, so the "switching weapons back and forth" bit is more time consuming now than it was before

i do however love the idea of briefly shooting some far-off enemies but then going back to melee focused combat in a very seamless movement, and ideally, for me, holding down right click to aim would allow me to shoot with left click, but releasing aim would set me back into melee mode, without having to press the tertiary button that is quick-melee to allow me to melee with left click again

First off, I haven't read previous posts so if someone else mentioned this. Okay.

Weapon switching and Auto block.

I use aimglide while meleeing to just briefly overjump something. Switching to the aiming sights of my primary weapon is really annoying. Throwing off my awareness of the enemies around me or jumping over my intended landing point because it's not within the viewfinder.

Auto Blocking is MASSIVELY annoying. Trying to charge attack while under fire is impossible because it forces the block, trying to do a quickjump only to find myself gliding through the air because the block also triggered aimglide at a bad time overjumping a small platform and falling into a pit. It won't stop blocking unless I attack as well so it's completely out of my control.

😕

Edited by AreeSoothsayer
Let me turn off autoBork. It keeps screwing up any charge attacks I try.

At this point I've lost any hope that this would be considered, the elephant in the room is very obvious, Most people have too many issues with new melee and prefer the original deeming it a superior system. In any case our woes fall on deaf ears. Warframe will never be the same for the worse. A boring repetitive devil may cry series.

• Like 1