Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

That feeling you get when Nightwatch scans matter more than the mission

(PSN)Zero_029

So my friends & I find ourselves purposely failing the Anniversary Defende mission just so we can finally get those Nightwatch Grineer scans.

Won't lie. I feel conflicted. Never thought I'd value Codex scans over a mission.

Why are these guys no where else in the game? Or if they are....where are they?

Almost got all my scans but still. Haha. Poor Defector is having a Dark Souls day till then.

I wish all the 6yr missions used these Grineer so I wouldn't have to sacrifice the target.

25 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Out of curiosity, I check the Nightwatch Grineer wiki page.

While it doesn't outright say where they spawn, there are a few entries that makes me think they're in the Rathuum arena now. (Something I actively avoid) 

Hmm...interesting.

So far there is 1 Nightwatch unit that does NOT spawn in the alert it seems.

Nightwatch Reavers have not or will not spawn.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

no idea, they are sort of meant to be the Grineer's own special forces, using covert tactics and likely only performing classified operations, the kind of stuff Tier 1 forces do IRL. it would be nice to see them painted in this light: infiltrating a Corpus ship, using gadgets to recon and disable security systems, etc. sadly they aren't on any regular grineer tile.

54 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

there are a few entries that makes me think they're in the Rathuum arena now.

one of the Executioners, Gorth, is Ex-Nightwatch, and still wears his Nightwatch camo armour. other than him I don't think those units appear there, but it would be nice.

27 minutes ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

this is probably due to the fact they are armed with Tonkors, and the last time they appeared (which IIRC was before Tonkor was nerfed), people complained because they could constantly one hit even the tankiest frames; they did a ton of damage and their grenades were hard to see. DE probably didn't rebalance them at any point, so to prevent complaints again, they have left them out.

58 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Out of curiosity, I check the Nightwatch Grineer wiki page.

While it doesn't outright say where they spawn, there are a few entries that makes me think they're in the Rathuum arena now. (Something I actively avoid) 

I have done Rathuum a few times and they don't spawn there. You only get the named Executioners. As I understand it, Nightwatch enemies are unique to special alerts that come about once every blue moon. Their first appearance had them at relatively high level with enhanced damage AND a guaranteed Slash proc to boot. If I remember it correctly. 

Personally, I think their designs have been somewhat "grandfathered" into Kuva fortress enemies.Their designs are similar enough to suggest that Nightwatch enemies were at least the basis for Kuva fortress ones. Sort of goes with the lore too, elite soldiers, best of the best. I would much prefer to see them as a sort of alternative or additional supporting role for the Grustrag 3 but I take what I can get. 

45 minutes ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

So far there is 1 Nightwatch unit that does NOT spawn in the alert it seems.

I'm having trouble getting the karak lancer to spawn as well. I really hope DE adds them both to the mission.

Edited by SordidDreams

This was me, except not intentionally.

I tried to run it whilst also scanning them and needless to say it didn't go well :clem:.

Doesn't help that it's the hardest - not much but you do need to keep an eye on that target, he dies really fast, and abilities don't affect him. I swear one time he went from full health to dead in a second.

Wound up actually switching off my boy Limbo and took Hildryn out for a spin, or a hover as the case may be, which is how you know S*** was serious.

1 hour ago, Gentleman_Bird said:

I never noticed the grineer enemies were different until about 5 waves in, since everything was dark and my group was killing very fast, then I realized that the enemies were placing down arc traps, and they don't usually do that.

The fact that the Grineer have about 8 variations of most units for no particular reason doesn't help either.

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I tried to run it whilst also scanning them and needless to say it didn't go well :clem:.

Doesn't help that it's the hardest - not much but you do need to keep an eye on that target, he dies really fast, and abilities don't affect him. I swear one time he went from full health to dead in a second.

Wound up actually switching off my boy Limbo and took Hildryn out for a spin, or a hover as the case may be, which is how you know S*** was serious. 

Heh. I tried to Limbo it, but after the Target refused to stay Banished I ended up going back in as Ash & used Smoke Screen while Helios scanned at it's leisure.
I'm more frustrated at the fact I can't get the Reaver scan.
This "corps" of Grineer needs to be more prominent in game. Man they were a nice change of pace.

I ran it a couple times to complete the scans for the ones that show up at least. Finished it once to get the skin and went back and did it a second time. Helios might have been excited to get some use since I quit using it when pets got fetch.

1 hour ago, Zilchy said:

Did it once solo, used an ancient healer to support the ViP and used Equinox to put everything to sleep to scan them and keep them from killing the ViP. Got all the scans. So try that.

I have no idea WHY I didn't use Equinox. *facepalms*

6 hours ago, Datam4ss said:

Use Helios?

We did. After we abandoned the mission so we could equip Helios.

6 hours ago, --Brandt-- said:

Finished it once to get the skin and went back and did it a second time.

Last year the Missions disappeared after we cleared them so we were all uncertain of clearing the mission without getting all the scans. So we just kept "failing"/"aborting" until we all were good.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

I have no idea WHY I didn't use Equinox. *facepalms*

Ah well, there's always next time Tenno :) 
Ancient healer was very useful for keeping the vip topped up on health too. It followed me around so I just had to go near the vip to heal him. Aggro'd some bombard rockets as well.

Edited by Zilchy

10 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Take Revenant or Nyx and make them your temporary BFFs... then scan them. I did it with Revenant and the Defense mission would move to the next wave as long as everything on the map was dead or enthralled.

Just now, nslay said:

Take Revenant or Nyx and make them your temporary BFFs... then scan them. I did it with Revenant and the Defense mission would move to the next wave as long as everything on the map was dead or enthralled.

Already done the mission with all the scans. At that point I had all the scans and was just frustrated at the near insta-kill so I went with a DPS frame that I still found fun.

You know you can just repeat the mission even if you beat it? 

Il y a 17 heures, (PS4)Zero_029 a dit :

So my friends & I find ourselves purposely failing the Anniversary Defende mission just so we can finally get those Nightwatch Grineer scans.

Won't lie. I feel conflicted. Never thought I'd value Codex scans over a mission.

Almost got all my scans but still. Haha. Poor Defector is having a Dark Souls day till then.

I wish all the 6yr missions used these Grineer so I wouldn't have to sacrifice the target.